Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 919
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    Not sure what I like in books... If your likes in movies is a bit the same as reading books, then I don't mind either one, as long as it's really good
    Ok, here's one for you then. Clockwork Orange. Seen the film? No, then read the book. If you have it's not so different to be honest. It's a very short book, my copy is 150 pages, and its not a hard read, except the bits where they are talking in that slang-like language but you soon pick it up and anyway that's part of the drama, it's the future, things are different and the youth talk different too. How about George Orwell's 1984? Pretty easy to reading too. Couple of modern classics there, worth reading at least once in a lifetime.

What about science books? Try Schrodinger's Cat, about physics and particle theory. Mendeleyevs's Dream, another science book, about the history of chemistry and the eventual realisation of the periodic table, yep, that thing with lots of letters and numbers on.

Man, you gotta read some books, they're great, expand your mind!
    twitterings @posor

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Well, I'm not so sure about that.. You're probably right, but I have a book about Bioshock (story before it happened, how rapture came to be) and I LOVE that series. I really tried reading it but after a while I didn't bother to pick up the book anymore.. Don't know why..

Not sure what I like in books... If your likes in movies is a bit the same as reading books, then I don't mind either one, as long as it's really good
    I mean.. I love LOTR, but I also love a really good drama movie based on a good story (e.g. Premonition).

I did read most of the harry potter books back in the days, besides the last one or something I think...
    I also read some books during school because they made me to but that aside I never read books..
    Id recommend David Eddings Belgariad, or Jordans Wheel of Time series if you like LOTR.

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorCynik_ View Post
    Ok, here's one for you then. Clockwork Orange. Seen the film? No, then read the book. If you have it's not so different to be honest. It's a very short book, my copy is 150 pages, and its not a hard read, except the bits where they are talking in that slang-like language but you soon pick it up and anyway that's part of the drama, it's the future, things are different and the youth talk different too. How about George Orwell's 1984? Pretty easy to reading too. Couple of modern classics there, worth reading at least once in a lifetime.

What about science books? Try Schrodinger's Cat, about physics and particle theory. Mendeleyevs's Dream, another science book, about the history of chemistry and the eventual realisation of the periodic table, yep, that thing with lots of letters and numbers on.

Man, you gotta read some books, they're great, expand your mind!
    Will have a look at'm mate
    I'm thinking of trying to find a dutch book first so I can see if I can keep myself to read first.. If that passes, I'll probably move on to English if possible

4. Likes MajorMajor likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Will have a look at'm mate
    I'm thinking of trying to find a dutch book first so I can see if I can keep myself to read first.. If that passes, I'll probably move on to English if possible
    Ah, yes fair point mate. Although some of those I mentioned I would be surprised if there were not good translations, I can see some Ebooks when I do a quick Google. Fair enough mate, hadn't considered that being an issue. Otherwise it might be a great way to improve your english if that's something you want to do. Maybe not Clockwork Orange yet then hehe. Reading is definitely worth it though mate, good for the mind.
    twitterings @posor

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Any recommendations around ghosts and out of body stuff?

I remember I read a pair of books for school quite a few years ago, I liked them, so I thought of searching in that genre.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Any recommendations around ghosts and out of body stuff?

I remember I read a pair of books for school quite a few years ago, I liked them, so I thought of searching in that genre.
    Hmmm not sure mate. Not really my cuppa but I guess you mean some kind of supernatural thriller? I have read the exorcist and can say that was a hair-raising read for sure. Check this list for a start, there's some good ones there: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...ural_Thrillers. There's a few stand out to me but it's not my thing really, I'm a big scaredy-cat. Have you seen the film 'The Shining'? If not i'd recommend the book based purely on watching the film, very, very good that one. "Here's Johnny!"
    twitterings @posor

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorCynik_ View Post
    Hmmm not sure mate. Not really my cuppa but I guess you mean some kind of supernatural thriller? I have read the exorcist and can say that was a hair-raising read for sure. Check this list for a start, there's some good ones there: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...ural_Thrillers. There's a few stand out to me but it's not my thing really, I'm a big scaredy-cat. Have you seen the film 'The Shining'? If not i'd recommend the book based purely on watching the film, very, very good that one. "Here's Johnny!"
    Thanks, will check the list!

I saw the Shining, was a good movie but a bit dragging at some points.. Not sure if the book's the same thing.
    Christopher recommended me a few books too e.g. 'Misery' from Stephen King, or 'Odd Thomas' from Dean Kootz.
    Am going to have a look around some more and see what book I'll get first

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I think I'm gonna give the 1950's futuristic "1984" a try.

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Thanks, will check the list!

I saw the Shining, was a good movie but a bit dragging at some points.. Not sure if the book's the same thing.
    Christopher recommended me a few books too e.g. 'Misery' from Stephen King, or 'Odd Thomas' from Dean Kootz.
    Am going to have a look around some more and see what book I'll get first
    To be honest, the movie is better than the book, imo.

Another good ghost story is from James Herbert. Called Haunted.

http://www.amazon.com/Haunted-James-.../dp/033045157X

First in a trilogy about a paranormal detective.

Sonata Dusk
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    I think I'm gonna give the 1950's futuristic "1984" a try.
    That book is both a terrible and good read.

It has a fantastic message and warning for us. On a thematic and conceptional it's near-perfect. There were times when reading it I became self-aware of how terrifying it truly was. The ideas in it were so radical and foreign yet also it became clear how real they could become in a society where the Government (Big Brother) achieved absolute control of information. Everyone should read it if only to realize the inevitable peril they exist in as surveillance technology eagerly spies on us and the media brainwashes us from birth. If more people read this book we'd have a hell of a lot less corruption in the world.

It's very powerful and eye-opening stuff. Be prepared to question your view of the world.

However the method by which it introduces its ideas is incredibly boring. It's a well-conceived and intelligent thesis wrapped in a dead corpse of a life-story. It works well because it's a good way to pull the reader into this awful scenario but it's also a chore to read. I had to stop halfway in; I've never put down an unfinished book before.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 01-28-2015 at 17:25.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    That book is both a terrible and good read.

However the method by which it introduces its ideas is incredibly boring. It's a well-conceived and intelligent thesis wrapped in a dead corpse of a life-story. It works well because it's a good way to pull the reader into this awful scenario but it's also a chore to read. I had to stop halfway in; I've never put down an unfinished book before.
    Isn't that part of the point though? Life in Orwell's 1984 IS dreary and boring. Told what to think, say and do. No questioning of authority. What kind of world would that be to you? For me that's part and parcel of conveying the idea. Would it have the same impact if it was some sort of joyous and fun read? Personally I doubt it but we all have different tastes I guess.
    twitterings @posor

Sonata Dusk
    Well, that is basically what I said: "It works well because it's a good way to pull the reader into this awful scenario..." My point is that it's too boring, to the point it's painful to read. You can represent a dystopian world like this without making the reading process itself difficult.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Burgiccuda
    Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon

A difficult read, but I'm enjoying it so far.
    For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Well, that is basically what I said: "It works well because it's a good way to pull the reader into this awful scenario..." My point is that it's too boring, to the point it's painful to read. You can represent a dystopian world like this without making the reading process itself difficult.
    Quite right, sorry dude, fair enough.

edit: Ever tried to read any Kafka then? A freind loves Kafka and I decided I'd give 'The Trial' a go. About 3 chapters in I've never gone back.
    Last edited by MajorMajor; 01-28-2015 at 20:01.
    twitterings @posor

Sonata Dusk
    Nope. Never read any Kafka. I'm not even sure what writing style he has.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Nope. Never read any Kafka. I'm not even sure what writing style he has.
    No, nor do I. I stopped because I was finding it hard to read, awkward, unsettling and frustrating is a fair description. After speaking to my friend about that he said to persevere because it's completely intentional. Doesn't make it any easier though
    twitterings @posor

18. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    To be honest, the movie is better than the book, imo.

Another good ghost story is from James Herbert. Called Haunted.

http://www.amazon.com/Haunted-James-.../dp/033045157X

First in a trilogy about a paranormal detective.
    Ordered it!
    It's only 240 pages apparently, so I got the english version (couldn't see a dutch version either lol).
    Hopefully it's worth it

20. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pryor View Post
    It is hard for me to read it till the end,it can make me fall asleep asap.
    Yeah, sure is a drag. I've still not picked it up again.
    twitterings @posor

Thread Information