Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member

Who is your internet service provider? Do they match their speed quotations? (UK)

I'm looking at switching internet providers and have a few questions.

1) Who is your internet provider?

2) Does the speed of your connection match what is advertised?

3) Would you recommend using them?

I'm looking at ungrading my 2mbps connection and switching to a different provider. One of the better deals I have seen is through Sky, they are offering unlimited downloads with a connection speed of upto 16mbps.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers.

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong section.

Credit to THUGGEDOUT for the Sig

Forum Guru
    This is more off-topic discussion but anyway, I'm with O2 because if you have an O2 mobile contract you get broadband for only £7.50 a month, no cap. It's 8Mb/sec and mine is actually 8meg because I live right next to the BT exchange. Depends where you live as to how fast your broandband will be. Highly recommned O2 though.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Loyal-to-LFC & DaveNI1979
    Items PS3 SlimLiverpool
    Use www.broadbandchecker.co.uk, they show you all deals for your area and a guess to what speed your line supports, although it says 512k for me and im on 1.25mb currently.

Apprentice
    I'm with Virgin Media. Currently at 2mb, but its getting upgraded to 10mb for free anytime now. I just did a test, and it was bob on 2mb too...which is always nice.

I have only been impressed with virgin myself. Unlimited downloads too, even on the lowest broadband speed...again, nice.

Urban Ethnic
    PSN ID
    bfd_josh
    im with orange, and i have nothing but bad things to say, im supposed to be getting UPTO 8mb, but as it stands i might aswell be paying for 4mb as i only get around 2mb, i know my area might suck and what not but, thats really quite low, another point, orange is always down, constanly got to phone them up for them to tell me its a fault on there behalf and last but not least, they always lose my details which means my internet is switched off for 24hours while they sort them selfs out!! dont go with orange
    PSN - BFD_JOSH

Master Sage
    I got Virgin Fibre Optic 10mb deal.

Pretty good, i have been receiving fast speeds and downloading files and videos are pretty quick.

But recently the speed dropped around 40kb/s (very low).
    I dont know why, i might email them or something.

But it has been great normally.

Supreme Veteran
    Orange for me. Was working fine for years up until a couple of days ago. Really slow at some points. Should be getting 2MB/s current speedtest check says 0.30MB/s. Very annoying.

Apprentice
    I too am with orange and they do suck really bad! I have been getting a really crappy connection of late (1mb! If that!) but orange seem to have sorted out there problems and now i recieve a 6mb connection. The only reason i went with orange is cos i get home broadband cheaper due to my pay monthly phone deal.
    I hope this helps you in anyway.

Urban Ethnic
    PSN ID
    bfd_josh
    i wish i had such a good experience with orange! what speed do you pay for?
    PSN - BFD_JOSH

Apprentice
    8mb

Veteran
    Im with AOL because my dad gets it free with points from his credit card or something!

Don't use them they are ****!

{Thanks Tribunal}

i use bt with the hub not quite sure what speed i should be getting but it seems quick enough. connecting to online games when i was with the post office was slow and wouldnt connect to some games but with bt its really quick
    Gaming 24-7

Welcome Change

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Virgin Media, 20meg
    Done a speed test, i get 19817. So yes!!!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Veteran
    Items Rolling StonesGTA IVDeadmau5NirvanaSackboyThe BeatlesJoker (limited ICON)Call of Duty: Black OPSGran Turismo 5GTA NikoNaughty DogModern Warfare 3
    im with bt pay for 8 meg most ive seen on test 7....i wouldnt recomend as if u need to phone them u end up talking to some under trained indian who u cant understand...have u tried restetting router is about all they are trained to say....when it works(99.9% of the time) its ok tho...i never had any probs

Beware the Bomb-Head!
    I'm with BT. Got the 'up to' 8MB service and usually get about 6MB but I do live throwing distance from the exchange! Lowest it's been is 4MB so plenty good enough and I get unlimted downloads which was good as I used to download loads of music/games/movies.

I'de been with them for 18months a couple of months ago and when I renewed contract they knocked a few pound off per month and sent me out a new hub (the 2.0 one with n wireless!) still not the cheapest around but it is reliable and does everything it should. I'd recommend them.

I used to have Tiscali who were ok but when I moved house and needed to cancel the service they were a nightmare; they kept taking money after it was supposed to be cancelled and then they said they wouldn't cancel it as I owed them money because I'd got the bank to stop paying them! I had to phone daily for hours at a time and it cost a fortune on their chargeable number. I never got the refund I was promised by THREE seperate managers or a reimbursement for the huge amount I spent calling them so I take every chance I get now to warn people away from them in the chance that I can do them harm!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AshSteHol
    Items User name style
    BT
    No
    No
    KING OF POP
    1958 - 2009

Superior Member
    I never met an ISP that deliver on their BS!

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    im with post office, and no they dont i normally get 4-5mb even though when i stand outside my flat i could wave to the exchange *im paying for 8mb* but i get free home calls,free mobile calls weeknights and free international home and mobile calls weekends £22 a month

Thank you itachi

Apprentice

I'm with NewNet and have been for a few years now and would certainly recommend them.

One small criticism I do have is that their customer service desk isn't open on the weekends so basically if you lose service on the w/e then you're stuffed lol

My brother is with BE and he says they're really good also.

BTW I've found the following website to be invaluable in the past:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

I came across this a few years ago when I was about to sign up with Tiscali but thankfully cancelled my order just in time !!! Tiscali BTW are very poor - so stay well clear.

Master Poster
    I'm with BT and used to untill a month or so ago got 7.4 of my 8mb but lately my downloads have gone slow and now get closer to 6mb. My contract is nearly up and they sent me a letter saying if I renew with them, they'd take £3 off of my bill a month to make it £22 p/m.

Elite Member
    I'm with 02 as well and my speed is quite fast too, although not all the time you get the full speed. Anyway i would recommend 02 especially if you have a contract or pay as you go because you pay less. Im on 8mb at the moment for £7.50. I might upgrade it though to 20mb for £10. Awesome. At the moment there is a offer if you would like to check out first 3 months free if you get the premium or pro package.

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/
    CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    im with virgin on 20mb Fibre optic Cable broadband in a bundle deal with TV and Phone

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    1) Who is your internet provider? Be broadband

2) Does the speed of your connection match what is advertised? Yes 20 meg

3) Would you recommend using them? Hell yes, I was using aol for £25.00 a month for 8 meg and they would cap me at certain times, I decided to switch to be for £17.50 a month and 20 meg speed.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by micromagic View Post
    This is more off-topic discussion but anyway, I'm with O2 because if you have an O2 mobile contract you get broadband for only £7.50 a month, no cap. It's 8Mb/sec and mine is actually 8meg because I live right next to the BT exchange. Depends where you live as to how fast your broandband will be. Highly recommned O2 though.
    I'm with you... i went from bt broadband to 02 broadband, because they offered it to me for free for two years..i'm assuming it's because ive been with o2 for nearly ten years, and my spend is good. regardless, it works great for me, and is fine with the ps3, pc, laptop's etc. Highly recommend o2. it just works...

As for the speed..i'm on a "upto 8meg speed" package, and i actually get 4meg...it's fine for everything...

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by micromagic View Post
    I'm the same connection. Other than the crappy modem that they give, it's a great package.

Thread Information