PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

[Playstation 3] Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust

Release Date: May 9, 2009
    Players: 1
    Price: $9.99 (Used)

Leisure Suit Larry games always had fun sexual humor and nudity. In 2004 I played one of the funniest LSL games which was entitled, "Magna C.um Laude". Can "Box Office Bust" pull off the similar success as its predisessor? Lets continue on and you can judge for yourself....

Graphics = 7/10

The game is running on the Unreal Engine but do not expect to see similarities that you would find in games like UT3 and Gears of War. In fact you would never know this was the Unreal Engine if I had not just told you.
    The graphics keep the comic feel that LSL games have had since the early PC days. Big busty women and......more big busty women. This game does suffer from frequent graphical pop-ups. But all in all the graphics fit this style of game perfectly.

Sound = 5/10

The game does not sport fancy music or great sound effects. In fact, the music and sound effects are pretty lame. What the game does offer is very funny dialogue and some pretty good voice acting from actors/actresses such as: "Jay Mohr (Last Comic Standing), Dave Attell (Insomniac), Shannon Elizabeth (American Pie), Artie Lange (Mad TV), Patrick Warburton (Family Guy), Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development), Nikki Cox (Las Vegas), Peter Graves (Mission Impossible), Jane Lynch (The 40 Year Old Virgin) and Josh Keaton (The Spectacular Spider-Man) as the voice of Larry Lovage."

Gameplay = 6/10

Lets start with the controls. The controls are not very fluid and you will find yourself getting frustrated trying to complete precise jumps with such a crappy camera. While driving your vehicle the smallest touch of another object will stop you dead in your tracks. Throughout the game are hidden gold trophies which you can collect to earn 2 unlockable trophies on your gamer card. Some of these seem impossible to get and some of them pretty much are... There are lots of quests scattered in the game. You are open to a somewhat large movie studio and you must talk to people to open up new objectives. You can finish the game without finishing all of them. There are also mini games that you find while doing these objectives and some of them are actually pretty fun.
    Some objectives have you doing some pretty crazy stuff and often you die because of a cheap death caused by a crappy camera angle or the character just did not do what he was supposed to do. Whats even more annoying is that sometimes you must do the entire objective over from the start. This can get very frustrating.

Overall = 6/10

I tried not to compare this game to "Magna C.um Laude" but how could I not? MCL had lots of nudity, better camera and controls. "Box Office Bust" has no nudity at all but still has all the sexual humor. I think I would have been much happier with a port of "Magna C.um Laude" from the PC. With the crappy camera and controls and the missing nudity I will have to give this game "Lethal's Trophy Wh0re" stamp of approval. Because only real trophy wh0res will play through this entire game.

Pros:
    Good voice acting
    Very funny dialogue
    Lots of trophies
    Only $10
    Big boobs

Cons:
    No nudity
    Crappy controls and camera
    Not enough checkpoints while doing objectives

Last edited by Lethal; 12-16-2012 at 05:15.

Dedicated Member
    No offense, but Magna C.um Laude was the most uninspired and boring Leisure Suit Larry game of the series, except maybe now, this one. But good review. Too bad LSL games don't fit in with the PC crowd these days. People get too offended by things anymore, so now they have to dumb these types of games down.

Unless of course it was just blood and gore. Then it'd be ok.

Super Elite
    I bought the 360 version for $20. With a 6/10, you're a lot more forgiving than me; I thought the game was damned near unplayable with the craptacular controls and demonic camera, which was a HUGE disappointment after LSL:MCL...

^ Shaundi:
    Saints Row 3 version
    Consoles: PS3 / PS2 / PS1 / 360 / Xbox / Gamecube / N64 / Dreamcast / Saturn
    Games: Collection (**Updated 2/24/11**)
    PSN ID: Weareninja

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by We Are Ninja View Post
    I bought the 360 version for $20. With a 6/10, you're a lot more forgiving than me; I thought the game was damned near unplayable with the craptacular controls and demonic camera, which was a HUGE disappointment after LSL:MCL...

lol well there are some parts of the game that I am enjoying so I could not give it too terrible of a score. The camera and controls suck but I still find myself laughing at some of the objectives and dialogue. I have not played the 360 version so maybe some of the problems were fixed when ported over to the PS3.

I really like Magna but maybe its because I love boobs so much lol.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Quote Originally Posted by We Are Ninja View Post
    Agreed, the game is one of the worst games ever! The controls are crap, the camera is crap, game play sucks and graphics are crap, I would hit invisable stuff and would be stuck and would have to start a mission again.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

SnowHawk
    I got this game for £4 so I'm not complaining but it is a fun game, I think so anyway.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I don't understand why people play these trashy games
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Urban Ethnic
    PSN ID
    bfd_josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    have you not seen?! it has the trophy ***** stamp of approval!!, im all over it!
    PSN - BFD_JOSH

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    It's not trashy, it's lowbrow...

^ Shaundi:
    Saints Row 3 version
    Consoles: PS3 / PS2 / PS1 / 360 / Xbox / Gamecube / N64 / Dreamcast / Saturn
    Games: Collection (**Updated 2/24/11**)
    PSN ID: Weareninja

Forum Elder
    screenshot character looks like something out of XCom UFO Defense...lol
    -For JPN game info, videos, and live feeds, visit: http://jpn-games.blogspot.com/
    -Currently Broadcasting Atelier Rorona: http://www.justin.tv/rykomatsu
    Games developed by Square-Enix: Not worth the media they're stamped on

Forum Elder
    i haven't played a LSL game since the very early 90's ... it was awesome, you had to answer 3 questions to get into the game to prove you were 16.

Thread Information