The 2.5" HDD question

I dont get one thing about the 2.5" HDD announced for the PS3.
    Wouldnt SONY rather promote its Memory Stick format.
    they work with loads of ther SONY devices too , especially the PSP.
    I mean, in the future they did say they'r gonna have Memory sticks with as much capacity as over 5GBs ....
    There's already the 4GB Memory stick pro duo.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5476

I know the prices are like .. WHOA !! ($1000) ... i expect the 2.5" HDD to have whopping digits too if they'r going to b manufactured by SONY.
    but they'r bound to go down like the others ...

So then why the 2.5" HDD ??
    (Please dont go on and on about the Compact Flash Cards either, SONY's already justified those)
    The PS3 will most definitely out"CELL" the Xbox 360 !

If SONY was conscious about its brandname as Microsoft, it would have named its next console the Playstation 365 .... making its slogan "5 steps ahead" of its competition

Superior Member

Well I think you hit the nail on the head - price. That kind of storage is good but I'd much prefer to have one big storage area for all my stuff, and hard drives aren't that expensive. If I wanted to put all my music on there it would take up at least 8GB, I'm not paying for memory sticks anywhere near that big.

I think they're just a lot simpler too, from there you can move some stuff to the memory sticks to transfer other places. Plus as long as 360 has one, Sony must have one as well.
    Survivor ConsoleWars - Outpower Outplay Outlast

On the next Survivor - The Microsoft tribe launch boat deflates due to corners being cut, the Sony tribe continue to hoard all the nuts, and Nintendo tribe is still out in the jungle, searching for the immunity idol.

qZain, seeing that Sony is becoming more open, maybe it is possible using any 2.5" HDD for the PS3. Sony could implement a default std (eg. 20 gb) and it all game developers will have to ensure that the games must support this size.

Superior Member

i expect the 2.5" HDD to have whopping digits too if they'r going to b manufactured by SONY.
    They harddrive shouldnt be to much because now a days you can get a 40gb hard drive for like 30 bucks if you find the right place.

Forum Sage
    I would think that if sony were to let HDD manufacturers at variable rate it would mean sony dont have to run a risk of loosing money on HDD's and that it give them an overall advantage on their PS3, how ever i dont think this will happen, im not so sure why though.

Im going to try and put in a 20gb HDD into my PS2 when i get some money and see what happens, although games may not support it, i may get to use it to put in game saves i never use.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Playstation4life
    Im going to try and put in a 20gb HDD into my PS2 when i get some money and see what happens, although games may not support it, i may get to use it to put in game saves i never use.
    you can't use the hard drive to save games, you can load disk images of games with HDloader from harddrive , and maybe 1-2 games (like FFXI) supports the drive, but other than that....
    you can use execftps (an ftp server programm) to access your memory card and your harddrive through ethernet but you'll need a modded ps2 in order to boot the ftp server programm, so far execftps with a memory format utility have saved my games twice, at some point my mem card (an 32mb datel card) refused new saves due to lack of space (half empty though from that time on i keep regular backups of my saves , on the PC Harddrive.

Pots n' Pans Robot
    Im sure you would much rather pay $100 for a 1gb Memory Stick Duo (yes, i found it that cheap) and $65 for a 30gb 5400rpm 2.5" hard drive(newegg), than buy the 4gb Memory Stick. There's no good reason to have the 4gb stick just yet. Besides, the hard drive has alot of space, it's cheap, and you can keep all your files on it, and swap them out onto the memory stick whenever you want to change your music or game saves, or even video files to watch on the go. That's at least how im going to do things when I have a wonderful little PSP/Ps3 family!
    Kevin Levine on Bioshock PS3: "...we’re not talking about any other versions right now."

Elite Member
    No offense what-so-even I'd rather have a 20GB HDD over a small easily breakable memory stick...and remeber A 10GB memory stick won't come out until 2009 or so and that they will be about triple the price of a 1GB stick. (This post does not confirm the space capacity of the PS3s HDD, I was just using 20GB since it is standard.)
    Called Out of Retirement: SMC Member
    Senior Animator - Sony Computer Entertainment America

Apprentice
    lol think bout it a 4 gb memory stick over a hard drive/? the price i saw for the 4gb memory stick was $$$899 thats crazy your tellnig me that you are going to buy a memory stick for that much// a hard drive comes in different sizes, you can store movies, music, anything you want on the hard drive n because the ps3 will be able to paly it or wat not!!! i have 300Gb hard drive that i got for 130$$$ i bought it for my computer but im not going to use it agian and nwo that i have my money saved up for the ps3 im jus going to put the hard drive in there!!! and save Lots of stuff on it!!! and furthur more a memory stick is basically for cameraz and other thingz that are basically mobile liek the PSP( I love my psp got a 1gb for 120 off ebay for it 2~!)

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    I guess I'm just old school, but having 64MB memory cards would serve me just fine. Most of the stuff that Sony's implementing into the PS3 just doesn't have any appeal to me. All this stuff is making the consumer overspend for things they don't necessarily need (not to mention it's jacking up the cost of the system). The more I think about it, the more I'll end up purchasing an Xbox 360 and totally disregard the PS3. Of course, Sony can cool me down by including a 2.5" HDD with the system.

Elite Member
    But the PS3 DOES support memory stick... AND it supports 2.5" HDDs... It is expected to have iPOD and Sony MP3 Player support (which are like harddrives; iTunes support has been confirmed for the PS3) sooooo.... yeah, everyone's happy. Shut up. Nah, you don't need to.
    old test:

most recent:

Faster than testing servers haha

Quote Originally Posted by Kougaiji
    But the PS3 DOES support memory stick... AND it supports 2.5" HDDs... It is expected to have iPOD and Sony MP3 Player support (which are like harddrives; iTunes support has been confirmed for the PS3) sooooo.... yeah, everyone's happy. Shut up. Nah, you don't need to.
    People will only be happy if SONY includes a hard disk as standard.

I love my Gran Turismo, SOCOM & God of WAR as much as the next guy, but I the next generation Morrowind (Oblivion) and a next generation Knights of the Old Republic on my PS3 as well. Those type of games REQUIRE a hard disk.

That doesn't take into account the large number of massive multiplayer online titles I would like to see appear. All of which would require a hard disk.

I'm sure that if bought in quantity SONY could include a 20-40 gb disk as standard at a cost no higher than $30 per system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kougaiji
    Excuse me ?? iTunes support has been confirmed ???
    what , when, where , how ??

Link please !!

Cannot belive i missed this info ... if its tru n not just an opinion
    The PS3 will most definitely out"CELL" the Xbox 360 !

If SONY was conscious about its brandname as Microsoft, it would have named its next console the Playstation 365 .... making its slogan "5 steps ahead" of its competition

Elite Member
    The reason why Sony need a hard disk is because Disk storage lasts longer, Flash rom has a limited number of writes to it, where Disk is nearly unlimited.

Plus Disks currently have a much larger storage space on them, people are amassing Gigabytes of music & movies(not all illegal!) so people want somewhere to store them, currently flash rom doesn't have the capacity for server type storage which is what sony want the PS3 to be, an entertainment hub. Solid state storage wont have massive storage capicty for a few more years yet.

Apprentice
    If thats true that the ipod will be supported on the Ps3 that will make me even happier because i got all my songs on my ipod all 4090 songs !!! also i would be surprised if sony included a hard drive or game with the ps3 because each unit is going to cost them atleast over 1000 grand to produce and i don't think that there going to want to spend extra money on a hard drive to put in the box with the ps3!!! but hey they could do the same thing like they did with the PSP with the 1st million unitz the spider-man 2 movie / PS3 the first million unitz includes a 20 or 40 gb hard drive!?!

" because each unit is going to cost them atleast over 1000 grand to produce"

Tell me, who told you this? Is it those two guys in the black suit?

Come on, $1000. If that's the case then Xbox 360 would cost just as much to manufacture if not more. We're forgetting that Sony is a leading hardware manufacturer, they can reduce price the price if they want to while their competitors do not have this option.

Quote Originally Posted by sol-lekz
    If thats true that the ipod will be supported on the Ps3 that will make me even happier because i got all my songs on my ipod all 4090 songs !!! also i would be surprised if sony included a hard drive or game with the ps3 because each unit is going to cost them atleast over 1000 grand to produce and i don't think that there going to want to spend extra money on a hard drive to put in the box with the ps3!!! but hey they could do the same thing like they did with the PSP with the 1st million unitz the spider-man 2 movie / PS3 the first million unitz includes a 20 or 40 gb hard drive!?!
    £1,000,000 per unit, sold at say £400/unit means a loss of what £999,600 per unit... me thinks not.

A hard disk is not an expensive thing anymore, I can pick up an 80Gb disk retail for <£40, for a company in bulk that will be a lot less. Secondly they do need to make it included if they want developers to utilise it, developers like consoles because they are fixed, having to code for different potential setups is bad. Sony will include it or it will be of minimal use.
    "Ahhh, but you have heard of me."
    - Captain Jack Sparrow

Elite Member
    Ah I looked at the sources and discovered that it is yet still a rumour. I apologize.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the PS3 supported (at least) its own MP3 players, which I prefer above the iPod. I mean, since MS showed all of this media player functionality of the 360, I don't see how Sony can possibly not have it. Unless they're stupid.
    old test:

most recent:

Faster than testing servers haha

Forum Sage
    dont forgot that Sony manufacture the parts them selfs too.

Quote Originally Posted by straightballin
    i expect the 2.5" HDD to have whopping digits too if they'r going to b manufactured by SONY.
    They harddrive shouldnt be to much because now a days you can get a 40gb hard drive for like 30 bucks if you find the right place.
    Yeah but if it is manufactured by sony they may make it the only compatable HDD or charge alot because they can basically.

Pots n' Pans Robot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Quote Originally Posted by straightballin
    Yeah but if it is manufactured by sony they may make it the only compatable HDD or charge alot because they can basically.
    I dont think it would be in their best interest to charge alot for the hard drive. They know that price is a bigger factor than ever now and anything they can do to put a dent in the damage xbox360 does to them would help alot.

What makes you think Sony is MANUFACTURING the hard drives though? It may be cheaper and faster for them to just order bulk shipments of them from another company. Hopefully they use SATA drives, which are getting cheaper and cheaper everyday. ($177 for a 300gb seagate barracuda)
    Kevin Levine on Bioshock PS3: "...we’re not talking about any other versions right now."

Good idea, may be necessary too, but i wouldnt mind having to pay some extra $$$ for both. You have to keep in mind though that if a system cost about 400-500 dollars, developers would lose huge amounts of customers. It would simply cost to much
    Who wouldnt???????

Superior Member

I wouldnt mind only 10gb as long as the developers no its there and make use of it. You can always upgrade it from 10gb. It will really piss me off if they dont have it standard.

Thread Information