Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

HD Recording Tutorial for PS3 using Intensity Pro

Was able to diddle around with this over the weekend with some decent results, though encoding optimized for youtube and what not I haven't been able to get too good of results so I'll update that at a later date.

Starters
    There are a couple of options available for HD recording off a PS3. The Hauppauge HD DVR and Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro. The Hauppague is an external unit that records directly to H.264 and doesn't lend itself to easy editing if that's what you desire. If you want to record from your PS3 and don't care about editing or what not, it's a good option and is probably more suited for people with less powerful computers.

If, however, you want the flexibility to easily edit and what not, then this is where the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro comes in. It records uncompressed or compressed with Motion JPEG and is far easier to edit in a multitude of video editing programs. Because the PS3 HDMI output has HDCP, you WILL need the Pro version to record via component cables OR you will need an HDCP stripper. At $200~300 for an HDCP stripper, component cables are the cheaper choice.

What's Needed Hardware-wise

First off, you WILL need a motherboard that has a PCIe 1x slot. A lot of mobos have the PCIe 1x slot right next to the 16x slot where your videocard with a fat heatsink/fan is sitting so the card may or may not fit. I had to take a rod file to my videocard braket so I could mount the videocard at a slight angle away from the PCIe1x slot. Then installed the capture card at a slight angle away from the videocard. Room temps hit ~100F this weekend and I didn't have any issues that I could discern with either the Intensity Pro or videocard related to heat.

The preferable option is to have a videocard with a slim HSF or better yet, a mobo with the PCIe 1x slot positioned on the backside of the videocard so there's no HSF to get in the way.

For uncompressed 720p recording, you will need at the very least a 2 hard-disk RAID 0 array. Blackmagic reports 720p recording at approximately 105Mb/sec. A fast HD can write faster than 105Mb/sec, but that leaves you with very little overhead. A 2 drive array should be able to get you ~200mb/sec or faster, leaving you with plenty of overhead. Also, this array should be different from your system drive so as to prevent simultaneous read/write access from various applications that may be open. If anything, the array should be standalone specifically for recording, for best results.

For compressed 720p recording, you will need a pretty hefty processor. While I can't comment on the lowest processor required, with my AMD Phenom 9500 in balance mode, it was choking on compressing in MJPEG. At full speed, it didn't have any problems. A fast Intel Core2Duo might do the trick, but I'd recommend a quadcore if possible as the compression codec is multithreaded.

For reference sake, my recording system is as follows-
    CPU: AMD Phenom 9500
    Video: nVidia GeForce 6800GT
    RAM: 2GB (2x 1GB)
    System Disk: 250GB Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 (EIDE)
    RAID0 Array: 500GB x2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (SATA)
    RAID Controller: Software based through disk manager in control panel
    Mobo: ECS 6100PM-M2 (cheapy board)
    Capture Software: Kusunoki TVHD v0.99*
    *more on this in a sec

Setting Up Hardware

The usual "turn off, remove power cable, ground yourself" so I'll skip this part.

-In win 7, the card was immediately detected, but no drivers so you can either install the drivers from the included CD or download from blackmagic-design.com. I would go with the later for updated drivers. After installation and a reboot, the card is more or less ready to go.

-Plug in the breakout cable to the back of a card (looks like a squid or octopus) and plug in the component cables into the "IN" cables on the breakout cable, including the cables carrying the sound.

-At this point, depending on how your PS3 settings are, things can be a little bit of a *****. If you're already doing composite @ 720p, there's not much you need to do. What you will need to do will be explained.

-If you're using HDMI, then you need to plug in your component cables to your HDTV first and set it to 720p before going to the breakout cables. The reason for this is when you initially setup the component cables, the resolution will default to 480p which is not supported at all by the Intensity Pro; thus you will not be able to see any output and configure to component 720p unless you have all the menus memorized. If anyone's figured out some way to make things easier with this, please let me know.

-Once you do the above, go into Control Panel -> Blackmagic Control Panel. Set "Set Input" to Y, R-Y, B-Y, Video & Analog RCA Audio, click OK, then exit out.

-From here, go into Start -> Programs -> Blackmagic Design-> Intensity
    You can do the SpeedTest if you're unsure your system can record video, or skip it altogether, and go straight to Media Express.

-Go into Edit -> Preferences, set video format to HD 720p 59.94 and your preferred compression type and capture location...then click OK. Go into capture tab, press your controller's PS button and in the window, your PS3 output should appear.

Recording Your First Clip
    -Now, you can press the REC button at any time to record 720p PS3 output.

Uncompressed records at approximately 6GB/min
    Compressed records at approximately 1GB/min

Going back above to the *, i mentioned Kusunoki TVHD for capture software. This accomplishes the same thing as Media Express. However, one thing I did not mention was, while recording in Media Express, sound is not output on the computer. The breakout cables have component out, so it's probably possible to record while watching/listening on another monitor. However, Kusunoki TVHD streams sound while recording so it's not as problematic. In adition, Kusunoki is a very light program compared to Media Express. One thing is, I'm not sure if it's availabe in English. If not, and someone wants to use it, it can be downloaded here:
    http://axts10.web.infoseek.co.jp/kus...vhd_ver099.zip

If there's some interest, I can post a translated image of the menus if an English version doesn't exist.

One virtue of Kusunoki is, you can take screenshots from it whereas if you're using Media Express, you cannot take screens w/o going into Photoshop or some program that can support Blackmagic drivers.

What to do with your first clip

Uncompressed or compressed, both filetypes can easily be edited in something like Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut (as a matter of fact, you can record off intensity pro through Premiere or Final Cut). If you just want to encode the video for something like YouTube, you can just use VirtualDub, which is free.

From here, it's really up to you. How to encode, encoder settings, etc, will vary based on the individual setting up the encode with a lot of it coming from personal experience. I've messed around with wmv, h.264, xvid, and divx. I really can't point out much difference, but it feels as though the wmv and xvid encodes were the easiest to setup and gave the best results. xvid to youtube resulted in slightly more contrasty videos with a smidge less sharpness than its wmv to youtube counterpart. The Mainconcept h.264 encoder gave better overall sharpness, but when there is a lot of motion, it gives an odd motion blur trail of sorts almost like a video that's interlaced, except...it does it even when deinterlacing is on. The encodes take time, so this is also where a hefty processor would help a significant amount.

Results

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/YXIxHFgU9yg[/embed]

^---source video (~300mb, looks signifncantly better than the youtube version, even in HD):
    http://files.filefront.com/wkc+test+.../fileinfo.html

Costs
    Most people will probably need some sort of RAID array in order to use this, so the price of entry is actually a bit higher than the price of an Intensity Pro, granted, the price came down a few weeks ago.

Intensity Pro: $200
    RAID0 disks: ~$120 for 2x 500GB HD

Add in a potential processor upgrade as well as RAM and what not and things can really start to skyrocket a bit. In terms of a processor, I haven't been able to max out my first generation Phenom 9500 so that might be a good option at a realtively inexpensive price, but expect price of entry to be atleast $300 if you have a run of the mill computer system.

Hope this helps some of you thinking about making the jump into an HD capture environment.
    -For JPN game info, videos, and live feeds, visit: http://jpn-games.blogspot.com/
    -Currently Broadcasting Atelier Rorona: http://www.justin.tv/rykomatsu
    Games developed by Square-Enix: Not worth the media they're stamped on

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Dood, that some pretty nice recordings. If only I had that type of cash, i'd make my own gaming website :P

Then I could spray my own unique bias around!

I also like how your recordings don't look 1 bit washed out like some sites.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Guru
    Great work and great writeup. Are you planning on doing a video game website or something? Rep+ for all the hard work and writeup.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by skulpt View Post
    Great work and great writeup. Are you planning on doing a video game website or something? Rep+ for all the hard work and writeup.
    Something gaming related...I won't say what just yet, but you might see the fruits of my labor in draft form in the next few days.
    -For JPN game info, videos, and live feeds, visit: http://jpn-games.blogspot.com/

Veteran
    wow... white knight chronicles is quite beautiful
    I will say what needs to be said and take whatever consequences that carries.

hey, thanks for pointing me here from the other thread. =)

I was planning on to ask you these in PM, but apparently I am not cool (have had posted 15 posts) enough to do so =( So i'll ask here.

I am seriously considering buying the intensity pro. However I probably will do it through component 720p. , this way I can use it for my Wii/PSP/PS3 at the same time and if in the future I decide to do HDMI capture I still have the choice.

Do you know if the analog connection also support audio? Does the convert cable from component to the oncard connector comes with the card?

Also, do i have to use one of those expensive software to capture to mjpg? Or does it come with the capture software too?

Thanks!

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by kira View Post
    hey, thanks for pointing me here from the other thread. =)

I was planning on to ask you these in PM, but apparently I am not cool (have had posted 15 posts) enough to do so =( So i'll ask here.

I am seriously considering buying the intensity pro. However I probably will do it through component 720p. , this way I can use it for my Wii/PSP/PS3 at the same time and if in the future I decide to do HDMI capture I still have the choice.

Do you know if the analog connection also support audio? Does the convert cable from component to the oncard connector comes with the card?

Also, do i have to use one of those expensive software to capture to mjpg? Or does it come with the capture software too?

Thanks!
    No problem

The Intensity will not do 480p so I don't think you can record PSP footage (atleast, I thought the HD out for PSP was 480p), only 480i.

The breakout cables with component input also take in audio from component cables (Audio Right and Audio Left) and records PCM at 48Khz...if you go HDMI, then I think you have to set the PS3 to stereo, or else it garbles up the audio as it converts 5/7 channel audio down to 2...atleast that's what I've read.

MJPEG recording is driver based so you can do it with the included media express software or any other software that supports it. The one I use, Kusunoki, doesn't support it from what I can tell. Premiere CS4.01 does support it and I believe Final Cut does as well...i THINK virtualdub did as well...atleast i think i did mjpeg compression at 720p in there once.

CPU usage on an AMD Phenom 9500 quadcore sat at around 70~80% while compressing to mjpeg in real time, for reference sake.

A, it doesn't do 480p at all?....
    Damn I might have to put off buying this then.
    I wonder if I should just go with the haup route... but I don't want the device to encode to h264 for me.

Also, as long as the included software can capture and save the file as mjpeg files I think I'll be set for that. avisynth is awsome as that it can edit anything directshow can open (which is everything).

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    edited
    I didn't read properly lol

Anyways.. nice write up. I ALMOST went with the Pro. Instead I went with the 1212 PVR you mentioned at the start of your first post. I only did this because of the ability to capture 480p for my Wii and PSP. Other than those two things, I would have went with the Intensity. Matter of fact, I am going to get the Pro in addition to the 1212 I have now. Like you said, the 1212 doesn't lend itself well for editing. It's damn near imposible actually lol.

Seph
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    edited
    I didn't read properly lol

Anyways.. nice write up. I ALMOST went with the Pro. Instead I went with the 1212 PVR you mentioned at the start of your first post. I only did this because of the ability to capture 480p for my Wii and PSP. Other than those two things, I would have went with the Intensity. Matter of fact, I am going to get the Pro in addition to the 1212 I have now. Like you said, the 1212 doesn't lend itself well for editing. It's damn near imposible actually lol.
    why is it so hard to edit the video? its only AVCHD file as far as i know

My Dual core 2 Duo 2.500 MHZ laptop edit AVCHD files in Real time with 0% Slow down and while using Video preview without any lag at all and that's with my 1080p30 Footage (1080p AVCHD HD camcorder) not 720p

The only problem is lol exporting that file = 10x footage length for example 1Hour Footage takes 10 Hours to finish the edited file (With Best Quality encoding) i use Sony Vegas Pro 8, AVCHD is new codec (Blu ray) most current software's doesn't edit it that well but sony vegas is super fast with me

Keep in mind that the cool thing about AVCHD is you dont need RAID or FAST HD , hell i even edit my AVCHD videos with my 5400rpm laptop hard drive and there is no frame drops or anything at all

I think if you got a fast computer the HD PVR is awseome and save you space 50mb/min instead of the insane 1GB/6GB/MIN with the pro card

Recording 2Hours movie with the pro uncompressed = 720GB... (2Hours = 10GB with HD PVR) i don't even have that free space available XD plus you will compress that file later to upload it somewhere on the net or to save space = you will lose some quality, AVCHD is the best compressed HD codec in the market right now that's why almost every HD camcorder use it , The HD PVR records up to 13.5Mbs average at least and can peak up to 20.2Mbs (Which is higher than canon HF100 Camcorder if you familiar with it

Seph
    HD PVR Youtube samples (Real files should look better cause youtube lower the quality)

First video is using 16Mbps only (You can use up to 20.2Mbps with HD PVR)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJH_jNQkO54"]YouTube - HD-PVR Test#2 1280x720p 30Fps 16Mbps Bitrate[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIEO1VKGIjw"]YouTube - HD PVR Test Madden 09 Moment[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8TvhuOXyB4"]YouTube - FULL INTERVIEW WWE Vince McMahon WrestleMania 25 on ESPN E:60 HD Hauppauge HD PVR Part 1/2[/ame]

Looks so good to me (Watch in HD)

Just a quick question. But when using the intensity pro without recording what sort of lag do you get on the pc monitor. I have a 2560x1600 res monitor so the only way to play my console through it is to use the pc to scale the image. So i was wondering if the intensity pro can do this relatively lag free when not recording and only previewing.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Even with the preview, it'll have the same lag when not recording.

Dedicated Member
    Thanks for this thread! +rep

I made a thread earlier in the week asking for a HD recording solution and F34R directed me towards the HD PVR. But since you said you can record with the Black Magic via component, I'd rather not have a seperate stand alone unit to go with all my other stuff.

Hmm, I really don't want to invest in another HD right now. If I just record in the compressed format you seem to think I should be fine since I'm running with an i7 quad core processor to go along with 6GB of ram.

Thanks again! I'm gonna have to order the Black Magic real soon so I can start building some montages.

The only problem that I can see having at the moment is I run optical out from my PS3 to my headphones so if I'm recording I'll have to run HDMI out. Bummer. The Black Magic didn't appear to have a digital optical out on the card.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Protogonoi View Post
    Just a quick question. But when using the intensity pro without recording what sort of lag do you get on the pc monitor. I have a 2560x1600 res monitor so the only way to play my console through it is to use the pc to scale the image. So i was wondering if the intensity pro can do this relatively lag free when not recording and only previewing.
    I don't fee like i get any lag out of my Intensity Pro but i have seen big time lag when others have used the Hauppauge. If you are going to use your PC monitor to play though i would not use the Media Express software it comes with but download iuvcr instead and put it to full screen and you should be all set.

Dedicated Member
    I just purchased the Black Magic off of Amazon for $190. It should arrive sometime late next week! WHOOOO!

Would you recommend using Vegas Pro 8.0 to capture while recording, or should I use the program that you have? Thanks!

Superior Member
    I use the software it comes with because it works with no trouble. There are others but there are big cons to those so i would stick with that.

So when running on a core i7 with 6GB of RAM (hopefully performance shouldn't be an issue) and the Intensity Pro do you think that the lag would be low enough that it would actually be playable directly off the computer monitor? Has anyone tested this (even with the suggested iuvcr) and been able to confirm that it works?
    I was just hoping someone can give me a definitive yes/no as i would be a bit steamed if i bought one of these and it couldn't do it .

Superior Member
    I use the Media Express software everytime on my PC when i go on my PS3 and i find there to be no lag what so ever. My PC specs are lower than what you got and it seems just fine for me.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    I use the Media Express software everytime on my PC when i go on my PS3 and i find there to be no lag what so ever. My PC specs are lower than what you got and it seems just fine for me.
    Are you recording and watching the PC screen, or do you mean there isn't any lag watching it on your TV while recording on your PC?

Superior Member
    I don't use my television. I use my PC to play and record all content without lag and that's what i think that's what Protogonoi was asking.

Yes, thats exactly what im asking as i was going to play directly off my monitor through my computer (i.e. using the computers graphics card not the intensity's hdmi passthrough). Some people say they get zero lag with intensity but they are actually just playing off a tv using the hdmi passthrough. But if you say you can run off the pc without lag then ill definitely look into picking one up then.
    thanks

Forum Elder
    Running off Media Express on the computer monitor, there is a slight bit of lag...I can play shooters without too much issue, but if you wanted to do twitch reaction games, then I wouldn't recommend it. If you're passing it through flash media live encoder, then shooters are unplayable.

No lag (atleast from what I can tell) if you output to TV, even if you're recording on your PC.

Emicsoft HD Video Converter is the high definition video converter software develeped to convert HD video files with high quality. With this HD video converter you can also easily convert between HD video formats, convert standard definition videos to HD videos, or convert HD videos to SD (Standard-Definition) videos. The HD video converter supports most of HD video formats: MTS/M2TS, TS, HD MKV, HD AVI, HD MP4, HD WMV, HD MOV, HD ASF.

How to use this HD Converter?

1. Launch the software and click "Add File" button to import files into the software. You can watch them on the preview screen.
    2. Edit the added movie by clicking "Effect" "Trim" or "Crop" button which can help you create unique videos easily.
    3. Select output in Profile option. Here all popular formats and mobile devices are supported. Then make sure the destination folder.
    4. Click "Start" button and the program will automatically start conversion.

Emicsoft AVCHD Converter can convert AVCHD video to all popular video formats, and convert other videos to AVCHD video. So many formats are supported such as HD video (TS, MTS, M2TS, HD MPEG-4, HD MOV, HD AVI, HD VOB, HD ASF, HD WMV, etc.), general video (AVI, MP4, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VOB, MOV, 3GP, FLV, SWF, etc.) and audio track (MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, AC3, OGG, etc.).

Emicsoft MOD Converter is a powerful MOD video converter which can MOD to AVI, MOD to MPG, MOD to MPEG, MOD to WMV and to other video format, such as FLV, SWF, ASF, DivX, XviD, MP4, VCD, SVCD, DVD-Video, VOB and so on. Batch conversion supported, so you can add several .MOD files one time.

More softwares may help you:
    Emicsoft Video Converter
    Emicsoft FLV Converter
    Emicsoft MTS Converter

Hey,

I have gotten my 6th card yesterday all the other ones broke, but we found out they've just been sending us back the old one..

So Now ive gotten a new one it work and all, but as soon as I record the clips get desynced and all laggy

My computer specs are 4x as good as yours so what is the problem?

Im getting really desperate

Thread Information