Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Super Elite

Rumor: Square's Rapture is a PS3/PC title to be revealed at E3

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_docu...eE3Update.aspx

A few days ago we broke the news regarding Square Enix’s E3 plans, which included the announcement of three all new games. At the time of writing we had been requested to not divulge the names or giveaway said titles, but we’ve just received new information about one of those three games that comes with no such restrictions. So here we go…

Contrary to what we were originally told, there will be a Square Enix press conference after all, at 11a.m on the Wednesday of the show. This will be a portal for selected media to learn more about one of Square Enix’s currently unannounced games, which we can reveal is an MMO codenamed Rapture, and set for release on PS3 and PC. The game is expected to be unveiled at the Sony press conference on the Tuesday.

While the PC and Xbox 360 have shared a strong software relationship over the last three years, the PC and PS3 have a more open rapport when it comes to online interactivity between the software and the gamers. It seems bizarre given Microsoft’s networking know-how, but the heavy restrictions it puts in place with the way developers can manipulate and engage their audience through Xbox Live makes it difficult for some games to make the most of their potential. Also worthy of note is the fact that the PS3 is free to play online, and it is more flexible in the headsets, keyboards and mice that can be used with it than the Xbox 360.

A classic precedent for all this is Epic Games’ decision to launch Unreal Tournament III on PS3 and PC well ahead of Xbox 360, claiming that Sony’s console better facilitated what they wanted to achieve in access and distribution of user-created Mods.

All that said and done, MMOs have still struggled to find the success on consoles that they have on PCs: even Square Enix own Final Fantasy XI failed to impress. It should be noted, however, that the company has used the term MMO, not MMORPG, which means it could be something totally unexpected.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Another supposed title? If so, I believe Squeenix is spreading itself far too thin.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    Another supposed title? If so, I believe Squeenix is spreading itself far too thin.
    Um... Project Rapture has been in development for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    *facepalm*

I'm so sick of people saying this! SE is a big company! Do you really think its ten guys in one room? UGH!

I'm hoping this news has some truth to it and we do see Rapture on PS3, it will be my first MMO.

Superior Member
    If it actually is a PC/PS3 title only and no 'blank page for Xbox crap' i may stop criticizing S-E so much for their lack of support for ps3. Unless this takes ages to come out too, then back to complaining for me.

Forum Guru
    I think Rapture was confirmed as a PS3/PC/360 title a while back but since we haven't heard about it in such a long time so i hope this news is true, if not i don't really care as long as the PS3 gets it.

Superior Member
    It's about time we hear something, i mean this game was confirmed to be in development in 2005.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This would be a little reassuring for PS3 owners that think SE have abandoned the PS3
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Elite Sage
    It could happen, but it seems unlikely
    we'll find out next week either way ^o^

PS3 exclusive or multiplatform, Rapture will be at E3, i'm just excited to see it!

Super Elite
    Maybe it's an exclusive reveal, lol.

Master Poster
    MMO!!! deffinately if its ps3/pc exclusive, most probably MMORPG.

Wow is starting to decline or will do so perfect timing to take a significant market share in the MMO market before Blizzard brings there new MMO, which is a new franchise completely and will be announced most probably at blizzcon.
    Diablo 3 - DOTA 2 - Deus EX 3 - Half Life: Episode 3

Forum Elder
    theres alot of good rpgs on the way now. but thats the problem, on the way.............
    .There will be Blood in the Water.

Apprentice

I can't wait to see what this game will be about. It's been in production for quite some time I hope it remains exclusive though

Super Elite
    Front Mission Evolved is confirmed for PS3, so hmm.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagari View Post
    Front Mission Evolved is confirmed for PS3, so hmm.
    Edit: Nvm, found out now.

Master Sage
    Rapture?

Never heard of it...

Elite Guru
    I hope the level grind is nothing like FFXI used to be.

Forum Sage
    Items PlayStationVitaPS3 Slim
    If it is an MMO, it being only on the PS3 and PC really limits its audience. The whole point of an MMO is to get as many people playing as possible, particularly in a market that will become saturated with them. I find it very strange that it won't be on the 360.

Master Guru

Because it is SE, I will have to end up trying it, but is kindof upsetting, because there is no way I have time for an MMO anymore. I struggled to get anywhere in FFXI bad enough and ended up choosing a soloing job.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkOutofWater View Post
    Because it is SE, I will have to end up trying it, but is kindof upsetting, because there is no way I have time for an MMO anymore. I struggled to get anywhere in FFXI bad enough and ended up choosing a soloing job.
    In defense of FFXI, they did make it easier with the level sync option to where not matter what level your friends are they can always sync to whatever level you are.

Master Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Theft View Post
    In defense of FFXI, they did make it easier with the level sync option to where not matter what level your friends are they can always sync to whatever level you are.
    Oh I wasnt complaining at all about the leveling system... I love grinding...and loved how it kept the WoW fans away. I just didnt have the time

I still managed to figure out how to get a job to 75, just took me longer

Forum Guru
    As Kagari said above FM has been confirmed for the PS3-

http://na.frontmissionevolved.com/

That's kinda strange since i don't think OPM ever reported the game, only OXM did.

This article could have some truth then.

2 Multiplats- FM and Nier (confirmed)
    1 (console) exclusive- Rapture

I still can't really see why Rapture wouldn't come to the 360 unless money is involved or something to do with the development side of things.

Hurry up E3

Master Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen-Sama View Post
    As Kagari said above FM has been confirmed for the PS3-

http://na.frontmissionevolved.com/

That's kinda strange since i don't think OPM ever reported the game, only OXM did.

This article could have some truth then.

2 Multiplats- FM and Nier (confirmed)
    1 (console) exclusive- Rapture

I still can't really see why Rapture wouldn't come to the 360 unless money is involved or something to do with the development side of things.

Hurry up E3
    The only reason I could see is MS's regulations and restrictions on how a game interacts with the client. PSN is a little more open when it comes to that respect, and thus It might be designed in a way to take advantage of this.... or I could just be talking out of my butt...

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkOutofWater View Post
    The only reason I could see is MS's regulations and restrictions on how a game interacts with the client. PSN is a little more open when it comes to that respect, and thus It might be designed in a way to take advantage of this.... or I could just be talking out of my butt...
    Since the 360 can't have mandatory installs and i don't think an MMORPG where you have to swap discs would be reasonable maybe what they want to achieve can't be done on 1 dvd disc.

Plus what you said makes sense and the PS3 supports any keyboard/mouse/bluetooth headset. Nearly the perfect console for MMO games.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theft View Post
    I hope the level grind is nothing like FFXI used to be.

Yeah I hope not, FFXI level grinding was so slow with a Paladin tank. But if you have a NIN as a tank, thats a different story.
    "It is better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for someone you are not."

~*~Currently Playing: Transformers War for Cybertron~*~

Thread Information