Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

My ps3 keeps randomly shutting off.... = \

It's happened three times now...I had it on the xmb...then it just shut itself off the and red light kept flashing...does it mean that its shutting itself off to prevent overheating? I felt the back and it doesn't feel warm at all...

Beware the Bomb-Head!
    Sounds like overheating to me. It's not the back you need to check, feel the right side by and below the BD; my old 60gb used to get hot as hades on a summers day there after a good session!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looks like I'm screwed...before it turns itself off now, it flashes a yellow light

Master Poster
    so many ps3's dying these days i wonder why .... something is fishy ...

if it's still on warranty then take it to sony and see if they can fix it

Master Guru
    Call sony and let them know maybe they will have a solution.
    Good "night" my baby...i will always remember you.I love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Back up your game saves now.

Veteran
    Some, maybe not so obvious, advice to others:

If it keeps turning off, don't keep turning it back on. It's turning off 'cos it's got a problem.

If it's in warranty phone Sony.

If it's not in warranty phone 'em anyway.

Make sure the vents are clear and it has plenty of space around it.

As an extreme option you can look up one of the many tutorials on the net for disassembling it and cleaning it. The heatsink gets covered in dust and it just acts as an insulating blanket making overheating more likely. You can also get some new thermal compound (Artic Silver/whatever) and reapply it to the chips instead of that margerine that Sony use.
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

Elite Member
    Yeah best thing to do now is back up your files before it completely dies out then call Sony to repair it.
    "It is better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for someone you are not."

~*~Currently Playing: Transformers War for Cybertron~*~

Well the system won't even turn on anymore so I can't back up my files = [ It's no longer under warranty either...it's a launch model. If I open up the system and try to fix things myself and it doesn't work...will I still be able to send it to sony to get fixed for $150?

OK...so I decided to buy a 2 year extended warranty from sony style...I have to wait a month, but hopefully then I can send it in and get it repaired for free using that warranty = \

Apprentice

have you considered it to be an overheating issue? Get one of those office dusters and spray it clean. Make sure you dont' get any of that liquid into the system, just the air. Let it sit for a bit and make sure it is dry then try again.

Yeah...I already tried that...thanks for the suggestion though.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewM1788 View Post
    Yeah...I already tried that...thanks for the suggestion though.
    when it happened to me(last week) it flashed red as well , and i went to sony to find out what's wrong , and they said it's the motherboard ... mine was out of warranty and it's the 60gigs version .... so now i got no choice but to buy a new one

did you send it to sony ?

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    It's definitely gonna die on you soon. The exact same happened to me as well. Back up your saves while it still works!

Apprentice

You can buy a system cold filter heater at Game station for 15 pound so try that first bud.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cage View Post
    when it happened to me(last week) it flashed red as well , and i went to sony to find out what's wrong , and they said it's the motherboard ... mine was out of warranty and it's the 60gigs version .... so now i got no choice but to buy a new one

did you send it to sony ?
    I decided to try something else before sending it in for an $150 repair. What I did is go to sonystyle and bought an extended 2 year warranty for a ps3. However, since my other one expired, I have to wait a month until this new warranty becomes active. Then, I'll send it in for repair like it just broke under the warranty. It may not work, but it's worth a try for $40 (the price of the two year warranty on sonystyle).

Master Poster
    I decided to try something else before sending it in for an $150 repair. What I did is go to sonystyle and bought an extended 2 year warranty for a ps3. However, since my other one expired, I have to wait a month until this new warranty becomes active. Then, I'll send it in for repair like it just broke under the warranty. It may not work, but it's worth a try for $40 (the price of the two year warranty on sonystyle).
    that might work but they might find out if ur ps3 is a 60gigs version

that might work but they might find out if ur ps3 is a 60gigs version
    Why would it matter if it's a 60 gig version? I chose a warranty for a playstation product between $500 and $750....I wouldn't think it would matter if it's a 60 gig or not.

Master Poster
    Why would it matter if it's a 60 gig version? I chose a warranty for a playstation product between $500 and $750....I wouldn't think it would matter if it's a 60 gig or not.
    cuz they stopped making the 60gigs version and they will know you bought the warranty ..

cuz they stopped making the 60gigs version and they will know you bought the warranty ..
    Is it a problem if they knew I bought the warranty? I don't understand why that would make a difference...as long as I have a warranty with sony for playstation 3, shouldn't they fix the system?

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Airiaen
    Its its .....dead

Seriously why is this happening? it's making me sick

Apprentice
    Can you tell me where on the sonystyle web site this is available (extended warranty for a ps3 with expired warranty)? I have been looking but can't seem to find it. A link would be helpful. I would like to read about what this includes.

It's happened three times now...I had it on the xmb...then it just shut itself off the and red light kept flashing...does it mean that its shutting itself off to prevent overheating? I felt the back and it doesn't feel warm at all...

Exact same thing happened to me on my 60 gig launch model.

This just happened to me today on my 40gb model,
    unfortunatly my warranty finished :/,
    any reccomendation on what to do..?

Dedicated Member

This is exactly what mine did before I got the YLOD. I opened it up and cleaned out all the dust but it didn't help. I eventually sent it in to Sony to fix it for $150. Where on Sonystyle is that warranty? I couldn't find it.
    PSN Name: Illumin Games: MGS4, Blitz 2, NBAStreet, CH2K8, Madden10, FNR3, TW08, The Bigs, VFighter5, V-Tennis3, SFIV, Marvel:UA, Singstar, Warhawk, RB2, NGS, SCIV, B!QW, MNR.

When my GF hates on my PS3, I say "My PS3 does cancer research. Do YOU do cancer research?"

yeah this just happened to me as well, it randomly turned itself off about 4 times and now it has the yellow light. does anyone know if the yellow light is caused by different things? As before when i got the yellow light it happened straight away but then i sent it to a repair shop and when i got it back it would shut down but would still turn back on (hope that makes sense).Also does anyone use continuous play? and if so what exactly happens with the console as i still have a disk inside mine?

Thread Information