Master Sage

The gorrilas have knives now!

Onlookers at the Calgary Zoo were shocked Tuesday when a Western Lowland gorilla picked up a knife and pointed it at a fellow gorilla, then placed it on a chair for the keepers to remove.None of the gorillas was hurt in the incident, but it startled the 20 or so visitors -- including children --who watched the scene unfold around 10:30 a. m. local time in the outdoor gorilla exhibit.
    "He grabbed the knife exactly in the correct position and he smelled it and looked at it," said Calgarian Joe Scheffler, who was at the zoo with his wife, Heike. "A few seconds later, another gorilla came and he was very interested.
    "He tried to get the knife, but the gorilla with the knife lifted the knife for his buddy....It seems to me that the gorilla with the knife was a little bit angry, and he lifted his hand with the knife.
    "It was just a scene from a crime," added Scheffler, whose wife snapped photos of the morning incident.
    Visitors were visibly shaken by the scene, and wondered aloud where the gorilla would get a knife.
    Suddenly, as though it sensed danger, Scheffler said the second gorilla stepped away, and the knife-wielding gorilla walked a short distance and placed it on an old chair sitting in the exhibit.
    Laurie Herron, manager of communications for the Calgary Zoo, said the knife was accidentally left by one of the gorilla keepers who was cleaning out the exhibit earlier Tuesday morning.
    "He dropped it," she explained. "One of the other keepers or a volunteer came and told him that the gorillas had a knife and he was like, 'Oh, crap.'
    "It was a small utility knife; it wasn't a huge knife."
    Herron said the keeper herded the gorillas into the back of the enclosure and removed the knife before any of the gorillas got hurt.
    "He, of course, feels terrible that he dropped it," she said, noting the keeper was cutting hoses and ropes in the enclosure with the knife. "They are usually really careful because, when they have tools and things in there, I know they generally do a count of anything they have taken in."
    All the gorillas were checked and none of them had any cuts or scrapes from the knife, she said.
    Herron said the zoo will review the incident with the gorilla keepers to see whether they need to change any procedures for entering the enclosures.
    "They do try to be very, very careful," she said. "Obviously, he just didn't notice that he dropped it."
    The incident, however, drew criticism from Zoocheck, a Torontobased zoo watchdog group.
    "It does not surprise me," spokeswoman Julie Woodyer said late Tuesday. "I bet you it happens far more often than people actually see, and that there are all kinds of incidents that go on there. There have been all kinds of incidents as a result of bad husbandry."
    Earlier this year, a wild goat died after becoming entangled in a play toy. Zoo officials also admitted this spring that the death of 41 cownose rays was the result of human error.
    "Maybe it's lack of staff, maybe it's lack of training, I don't know, but, in my mind, it comes down to incompetency," said Woodyer, reiterating calls for the zoo to go through a thorough audit by an independent third party.
    Source

All-Knowing RPG Tyrant
    Just wait until bears have rocket launchers

Ultimate Veteran
    Items New User Title
    Bears FPS or GTA

you heard it here first

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Coke isn't really that hardcore a drug.

Super Elite

Bears Steal Cars

Squirrels have Machine Guns

Elite Guru
    Looks like the other gorilla got the point.

Looks like the gorilla is a cut above the rest.

Looks like the gorilla has the cutting edge.

Fister Roboto
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonyX View Post
    Looks like the other gorilla got the point.

Looks like the gorilla is a cut above the rest.

Looks like the gorilla has the cutting edge.
    *Presses Buzzer*

Ummmm, What is terrible puns?

"The Secret Ingredient Is Phone"

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Whatīs the problem? Gorillas are smart and know how to use tools.
    "He grabbed the knife exactly in the correct position
    Boohoo it startled CHILDREN

P.S. so everything Julie Woodyer said was "i have no idea what im talking about because we didnīt have an audit there so iīll just talk out of my a**"

Apprentice
    Animals are taking over the world. INTERESTING. Reminds me of an old PS1 game, but I forget its name. :[

Dedicated Member
    Items Naughty DogVita
    yes.. bush had and entire army .. why gorrilas can't have a knife...? i'm most scared with the first than the second .. (i trust more in the gorrilas)
    40 blu ray games,50 psn games games (also 2 psp games, and lots of dlc), 5 ps1 classics 5 blu ray movies.
    42" & 32" 1080p hdtvs, 6.2 & 5.1 sound systems,2 ps3(60&80), 4 siaxis ,1 ds3, pseye (move soon)
    Steam saint_seya2, origin run_lil_boy (mw2 and cs source/hl/hl2/tf/p )
    Gap member

Unbound Mercenary
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That would have been pretty bad if the gorilla stabbed the other one.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Master Guru
    wow wonder how it got the knife
    and lol at bear fps idea
    "Everything that has ever happened has been leading up to this very moment"

"What happened to bros before hoes?" "Well, this one isn't a hoe, so she's first."

BioSonic
    So what's the big deal?

Apprentice
    I believe the main concern was that the gorilla with the knife would let the power go to his head.

He may have started off shaking down Zoo visitors for food and valuables and before you know it he would be lording over all the other Zoo animals.

Next he and his simian friends would take over and force us humans to bow before their animal overlords.

This is how Planet of the Ape’s started….

Thread Information