Master Guru
    Items User name style

Exclusive games are hurting the average consumer

An average consumer doesnít have the funds to purchase multiple systems so they end up missing out on some great games because of the exclusives the market needs in order for consoles to be attractive.

I personally donít like exclusives, I think it would be better for all games to be available to everyone no matter what consoles they have. Unfortunately due to greed this will never happen because the company who owns the one console which plays every game will exploit their market position and use it for profit. What needs to happen that probably never will is the major contributors to the industry at that time will need to make one console together. Services like Onlive wouldnít be necessary, exclusives are what indirectly opened their window of opportunity.

When a developer makes a game theyíre thinking what can they do that will make a game fun for the people who will be playing it. Gaming would be more enjoyable if publishers were taken out of the picture, if a game released directly from the developer to consumers a wider audience would be reached, and Iím not talking about the PSN, Xbox Live or WiiWare games, those are a total half assed approach to the way the gaming market should really be.

No one likes spending the extra money to buy multiple systems to enjoy all the games out there, doesnít matter how rich you are, if thereís an opportunity for consolidation Iím sure everyone would be for it. Due to the competitive nature of society exclusive games are a necessity and they hurt the consumer in the end whether they see it or not

The unified console will never happen and exclusives will always be a necessity due to society itself not being unified in a sense and itís pathetic

So much cost could be avoided and put into more productive venues such as research and development but instead money is being spent on making more competitive platforms which can be unnecessary if the situation is right but it will never be

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

Edit- Oh and I have no problem with it, it drives the industry forward. It helps the consumer by producing better games. Both consoles benefit.

Seph
    No Exclusive = we wont see games that blow everything else like killzone2/uncharted2/etc

No Exclusive = Companies wont compute with each other to create better games for there consoles

In the other hand games that goes exclusive for no real reason or exclusive DLC need to stop

Games like gears of war/left for dead can be easily handled by the PS3 but the money hats stop them from doing so

Elite Member
    Sorry, I'm not buying your argument.

It's not "greed" as you say. Each company thinks they have the better product. I mean, Nintendo went the route of waggle wands. Xbox went cheap/hardcore. PS3 went top of the line media hub. These are conflicting viewpoints. If you tried to combine them all into a single system, you'd end up with something that's as expensive as purchasing multiple consoles.

You seem to be an anime fan. Watch Linebarrels of Iron and their depiction of a single "unified" world. It sucks because there is no individuality.

Exclusives make consoles unique, so you buy what you believe fits your style the most. A ton of games are multiplatform anyhow, and look how they don't push the system. They're cut at corners to meet marketing deadlines and are simply "good enough" to release. Now there are some AAA multiplats (COD4), but then there are also some real bombs (any movie tie in game).

So much cost could be avoided and put into more productive venues such as research and development but instead money is being spent on making more competitive platforms which can be unnecessary if the situation is right but it will never be
    You think Sony didn't put any money into R&D? Nor Nintendo, nor microsoft?
    The competitive nature of the platforms is what is expanding features. PS2 had limited online. XBOX had better. PS3's online was enhanced even more, as was the 360's. Achievements became trophies. Miis became Avatars. Because they're competing services are expanding faster than they would have if you had to depend on one platform to put everything out.

Apprentice
    That's a very good point. But you can also argue that without competition and exclusivity, the whole gaming industry wouldn't have moved forward as much as it had the past decade, and despite the economy right now, the gaming industry is still growing. Wouldn't you agree?
    "We not me."

Elite Guru
    I disagree. Exlcusives are what this industry needs. There have been far too many sloppy middleware games pushed out for a quick buck. They rarely take full advantage of any hardware. How's that helping the consumer?

An exclusive game built specifically for a single platform normally provides the optimum experience the developer can deliver at that point.

Until third party developers provide the same build quality of an exclusive game, there's still room in the market for them.

Forum Sage
    Items PlayStationVitaPS3 Slim
    I absolutely disagree. Competition inspires the creation of great games.

A one console future is essentially a dictatorship, and not a benign one.

Superior Member
    If there's no more exclusives, you can kiss good games goodbye. If there was no exclusives, most games wouldn't be as good as they have the potential due to the fact there's no compitition. One way to think of it is having the idiot CEO of Activision, running every other game developers (Valve, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, EA etc.) Making games like Uncharted for example, trash.
    Platinum/100%: -Fallout 3- -Call of Duty: World at War- -Bioshock- -Modern Warfare 2- -Bioshock 2- -Bioshock: Infinite- -Call of Duty: Black Ops-

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Galvanise_ View Post
    I absolutely disagree. Competition inspires the creation of great games.

A one console future is essentially a dictatorship, and not a benign one.
    This.

Go back to the SNES vs. Mega Drive - both consoles had their amazing games and were very close in terms of exclusive competition. On one side you had Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy, on the other, you have Sonic the Hedgehog, Vectorman and Phantasy Star (to name a few).

Exclusives are what make consoles stick out, if you cant afford both (like me back then) then choose which has the most appeal to you - for me it was the Mega Drive, and now its the PlayStation.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Elite Member
    ridiculous topic. So OP is saying we should be able to play Mario Galaxy on all platforms? Killzone 2 on all platforms? Halo 3 on all platforms? What would be the reason to own one console or the other? It'd just be the same console with a different brand logo on it.

Forum Elder
    I guess the average consumer has to buy a ps3, so he wont get hurt

TWISTED METAL
    i dont think any exclusive on the 360 is worth it

"The real rulers in Washington are invisible, and exercise power from behind the scenes."

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    Thanks for the replies, I wanted to see if I still had interest in continuing my console gaming so I made this post to see what the general responses would be

Gaming has changed since I remember it

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

Thread Information