Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Aleman

Sony talks online, HD usage

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151632

Quote Originally Posted by 1up
    Sony takes a certain comfort in remaining intentionally vague. They've made a number of claims on how their approach to online networking services will differ from Microsoft without getting too specific. They've both implied and outright said they'll be providing matching services and other basic functionality for free, but their commentary changes from interview to interview, so it's hard to take them too seriously.

You might have noticed an OPM feature that ran on 1UP this morning chatting with president of Sony Worldwide Studios Phil Harrison. He's the man responsible for overseeing all of the first-party game coming out of the company, from Warhawk to the next-generation efforts from the Shadow of the Colossus team.

Though the interview's from March's Game Developers Conference, contained within are some interesting comments about Sony's plans for PlayStation 3. When asked whether their online service will be similar to Microsoft's:

"I suppose you could think of it in a linear way: On one side, you've got Microsoft or AOL, with their "walled garden" approach. And on the other extreme, you've got Google or the open Internet, with uncontrolled, unregulated access to all. And where do we sit on that continuum? Well, it's definitely more the [Google] way than the [Microsoft] way. Having said that, we will obviously obey and be governed by ratings organizations, whether [they regulate] films or games, depending on the content, all around the world. And we need to be sensitive to the privacy protections of players. All those things that you'd expect will clearly be maintained. But, beyond that, I want innovation to be proven by experimenting with new games. You know, shelf space is infinite online. There are no restrictions. There are no practical impediments to putting anything up there. I think that's great for our players, that they can get experiences that they wouldn't get only at retail. [Online] is not going to replace retail, but it enriches the experience, it grows the market, and I think everybody wins."

See? Vague, and only raises more questions. Does that mean companies will be going wild with charging for post-release downloadable content? On Xbox Live, companies work with Microsoft, but Sony's implying they'll be placing no restrictions outside of complying with ratings standards.

Harrison's example of Sony utilizing the hard drive, however, is a little scarier:

"Well, I'll give you an example; Kazunori [Yamauchi, producer of the Gran Turismo series] would kill me for this: Imagine Gran Turismo shipping on a disc with one car and one track. And then you can browse, online, a dynamic circuit of vehicles that's growing every day because either the car manufacturers are adding new vehicles or we're adding new vehicles. And you can see a specific-type car that's being called up and say, "I think I'll play with that one. Let me download and play it." Maybe the business model allows you to play it for a day; maybe the business model allows you to own it forever. But that content is now yours on your hard drive. Or [maybe you could download] new tracks, new music, whole games."

Please, Kazunori, don't make that game. Make sure to check out the rest of the feature for plenty of more insights from Harrison.
    Hopefully he wasn't serious about that last bit...

Apprentice

That's why he said that Yamauchi would kill him for it, of course that's not going to happen

Veteran
    I hope he was serious. That sounds freakin sweet.

I want to see all online stuff at TGS.

I Won't Kill You, But I Don't Have To Save You

Forum Sage
    He just wants to emphasise downloadable content...I hope.

That is true though, Sony definitly seems like they will be going with Online storage. Maybe that is why we don't see upgradable console HDDs?
    "It's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace.

Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna
    get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." ~Easy Rider (1969)

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That's going too far. That is exactly what is everyone afraid of. Plus when we count expensive console + games with 65 tag (don't know what PS3/360 games are in USA, 70$?) PLUS over 50% is not going to use that online thing at all...
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Aleman
    His GT idea is simply terrible. I don't even know why he bothered saying that. What about people who don't hook their console up to the internet?

Master Poster
    He isn't, which is mostly why he said Yamauchi would kill him for saying it!

That said, if you could buy Gran Turismo for $5, and then download as much extra stuff as you like / you could pay $40 and then get $35 worth of free GT DL content, it's more feasible.

It was just an example though. Doubtless people will read too much into it and say "OMG LOLZ Gran Turismo will have 1 car and 1 track for $60 and then you can only play the rest of the game for a day! Sony L13D!!!!!"

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Aleman
    His GT idea is simply terrible. I don't even know why he bothered saying that. What about people who don't hook their console up to the internet?
    Like I said that's why he said that he would get killed for saying it, it's not true

Elite Member
    I don't want the PS3 internet to be too open, cause like the article said, you'd risk individual companies charging you. If I had to choose between one large fee over several small fees, I'd go with the one large fee...but that's just me. The only problem I had with the PS2 was the dial up users who killed my Socom online experience.

but, I don't think that will be a problem anymore. BUT, you have to govern the online play, you just have to. That doesn't mean you should have to pay for anything, but that also doesn't mean you should just let game developers do whatever they want.

By the way, the GT idea is stupid. I for one go through GT cars like water, I rarely have the same car for more than a few days lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Guru

I'm fine with downloadable content, since its been on PC's for ages now through the MOD community, just as long as you don't have to pay money for every single little bit of something new. Having to pay for, say, horse armor, is freaking stupid. Its an art pallet.

There are far better and more varied free MOD's for Oblivion on the PC then anything Bestheda has come up with, hell even a whole new race, for absolutely free.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Master Poster
    I'm fine with that Idea, providing that the game itself contains a games worth of
    media. Then its a brilliant idea. <and thats quite clearly what he means. He just
    had to slip something retarded in there to get his point across. We all know that
    no one would pay any attention to what he'd said, without the controversial hilarity.
    Poop, scoop and shoot.
    My band: http://soundcloud.com/nionabeo

Master Guru
    Calm down people it's only an example, knowing Gran Turismo , their would be hundreds of cars in the game and plenty of courses. he just gave you an idea on what to expect, but I like the idea when a car manufacturer makes a new vehicle and you can just download it, instead of waiting for the next installement to play with that car. Burnout Revenge 360 has that already but as you all know they are not the real deal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Sage
    "Well, I'll give you an example; Kazunori [Yamauchi, producer of the Gran Turismo series] would kill me for this: Imagine Gran Turismo shipping on a disc with one car and one track. And then you can browse, online, a dynamic circuit of vehicles that's growing every day because either the car manufacturers are adding new vehicles or we're adding new vehicles. And you can see a specific-type car that's being called up and say, "I think I'll play with that one. Let me download and play it." Maybe the business model allows you to play it for a day; maybe the business model allows you to own it forever. But that content is now yours on your hard drive. Or [maybe you could download] new tracks, new music, whole games."

Please, Kazunori, don't make that game. Make sure to check out the rest of the feature for plenty of more insights from Harrison.
    yes please don do that! any game that does that especailly war games that make you buy each level to beet the game, ill never play it and if it turns out that 90 percent of games on ps3 do it, then exspect alot of people to say hello 360, i cant wait for a playstation 3 and dont want anything else but if you do that then it changes things, mainly because we are paying 600 buck to get it in the first place.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

Elite Sage
    his example maybe terrible but he's only stating what seems to be currently happening with MT's.

just think Lumines on XBLA and it's a direct inflexion of what he's talking about.

the sooner this phase dies the better.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Aleman
    Yes I'm starting to hate the idea of downloadable content. It was really cool back in the day (and still today for most games) with PC's where new patches brought lots of new stuff and in the old Xbox Live days where everything was free.

Now it's just going to be another big revenue stream for the game companies.

Super Bias Moderator
    I can see a major consumer backlash if this downloadable content gets out of hand like that. If you spend $5 on the GT disk, but in order to get the full game you have to pay another $70 once your done downloading everything...I can see a helluva lot of people getting pretty pissed off.

Wii # 2775 0778 3886 7989

Azure
    I fear you might be right there Aleman...

Aleman
    As if $60 games weren't enough

Nintendo might be our savior here.

Master Poster
    I have to agree. Downloadable content should be extra content, not necessary content. Phil was definitely exaggerating the possibilities for the sake of finding an example, so I doubt anything like that will happen any time soon (ignoring Lumines Live).

Sony definitely seem to be playing the abstract card to get people talking at the moment. As long as everything is better defined by November i don't mind a spot of random to keep forums like this ticking over.

Look I HIGHLY doubt a game would launch with THIS little of content, but the fact is, we are not going to see whole game ever again. What we're going to be purchasing may be adequate alone but itll also be a teaser of whats available online. Wanna unlock the fastest most wicked car ever? What? You already beat the game? Well if you want the good car/gun/map/track/sword/summon/boss/mission you have to pay 3.99(example price i dunt really know). This is gunna be frustrating.
    KHgamer17 is also my XBox Live handle. Please dont hate me, I only play Halo 2..... guess that doesnt help huh? Im a hardcore Sony-er, try not to go too fanboy, Ill accept all facts, but Sony is my Homeboy, but I do play Halo 2. Hit me up if you do too.

Apprentice
    One thing that could be very positive in terms of downloadable cars is if they include a basic amount of cars on the disc and also includes a service where you from your in the game earned credits could buy cars from a friend or Polyphony directly.

It's very important though that they don't make users dependent on a internetconnection for a singleplayer game.

Aleman
    Quote Originally Posted by Naboomagnoli
    Downloadable content should be extra content, not necessary content.
    Yes! I agree whole-heartedly.

... but at the same time, I think Phil's extreme example is where this is all inevitably leading to. It's probably more profitable to sell games that way.

Imagine some dev close to finishing a racing game... they could work hard to get the last few tracks and cars ready for the release, or they could just end development early and sell the game for the same $60 that they would have otherwise (consumers probably wouldn't know the difference) and leisurely release the extra stuff later on as DLC for a nice profit.

Super Bias Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Naboomagnoli
    Downloadable content should be extra content, not necessary content.
    Yes! I agree whole-heartedly.

... but at the same time, I think Phil's extreme example is where this is all inevitably leading to. It's probably more profitable to sell games that way.
    Ya it probably is...all we can do is vote with our dollar though.

Wii # 2775 0778 3886 7989

Apprentice

I mean this is cool and everything but how would you pay for online content I mean im only 15 so I dont have a credit card and I doubt that my mom or dad will allow me to purchase virtual things for games so how will we pay for it and also you gotta think if they really made a game like that it would be expensive no matter what because you would want to buy so many things but you would be unable to spend wisely if like on the 360 you were paying 2.99 just for hore armour think about how much it would cost just to buy a car and then extra parts to make it go even faster it would probably cost alot depending on how they plan to advertise their online content
    Future=Owner=$600 PS3

I really hope Sony can clarify the structure of their online services at TGS (before would nice as well) and that we aren't left wondering up until launch.

The whole pay for extra downloaded content has already been provent to work in the Asian markets. There is a Korean based Mario-Kartesque free MMO that has over 25 million subscribers and you "unlock" better vehicles and upgrades by paying for them. I'll try to find the article about it and the name of it later. There are many other online games and MMOs that profit entirely off of pay-for-content services. So I can see why Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft are going towards this route.

As long as this online content does account for more then say 5-10% of the overall game (like Oblivion) I'll be fine. If it's closer to the model that Phil joked about in his interview I won't be so happy.

Thread Information