Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Undercover Moderator

The Reason Sony is Calling the Ps3 a Computer!

A British court has denied Sony a sizable rebate that would've been paid if the PlayStation 2 were to be classified as an "automatic data processing machine" (i.e. a computer).
    ImageInstead, the court ruled that the PS2 is in fact a videogame console "of a kind used with a television receiver." As such, the company will not receive a 50 million euro ($63 million) rebate for import duties already paid towards Europe's customs tariff.

The European import tax on videogame consoles was 1.7 percent in 2001, 1.1 percent in 2002, 0.6 percent in 2003 and zero in 2004. The PS2's console status caused Sony to incur these charges during this period, but if it were to be classified as a computer, the company could've been entitled to a tax refund of sorts.

Sony has been fighting to have the PS2 recognized as a computer for about five years. The company brought this latest case to the Court of Appeal after the High Court of Justice ruled the machine as a videogame console, as it is not "freely programmable."

Lord Justice Chadwick also had some scolding words for the way Sony handled its case: "In my view the skeleton argument filed in this Court on behalf of Sony goes beyond what can be regarded as acceptable written advocacy: it exceeds the bounds of propriety.

"I am not here protesting about its inordinate length, nor about its discursive quality, nor about its frequent and unnecessary resort to hyperbole; although all those unappealing features are present. My concern is with the repeated aspersions that are cast in that document on the intellectual honesty of the High Court Judge from whose decision this appeal is brought."

The judge proceeded to point out sections of Sony's argument which cast the previous judge in a bad light, including accusations that the judge "has often completely misrepresented the text of documents," and "deliberately misinterpreted" part of the review decision.

The appeals judge added that it "is not acceptable is making such allegations without good grounds."

Recently, SCE president Ken Kutaragi went into great detail about how the PlayStation 3 is "clearly a computer," not a games console.

"Speaking about the PS3, we never said we will release a game console," he claimed in a recent interview with PC Impress Watch. "It is radically different from the previous PlayStation. It is clearly a computer."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=3269&Itemid=2

This could explain why they also added Linux and Programing abilites... Interesting

Fishface
    when is gta 4 comming out?

Undercover Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishface
    November 2007 But What the Hell dose that have to do with my thread ??

Master Poster
    There is a pricless response. lol
    Poop, scoop and shoot.
    My band: http://soundcloud.com/nionabeo

Ahead of the Game
    Quote Originally Posted by Lozt_again
    There is a pricless response. lol
    For some reason that had me in stitches .

Superior Member
    If u watch the E3 06 sony pressconference i wonder if they mentioned the ps3 in such matter as : we welcome everyone to our press conference for the ps3 console.

I think they have said the ps3 and thats it, or maybe the playstation platform.
    But Pc or gaming console doesnt matter to me im still satisfied with it.

kuchite-shimatta yuri no hana
    naze konna ni setsuna no unmei

Supreme Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yep that's right, thanks for posting that Supaman_225 I read this yesterday but this article is more related in regards towards the PS2, as Sony have been trying to pass that as Computer for so long

Ignore Fishface's comments please Mods, no use having this thread shut because of his/her imprudence.
    Main PC: INTEL CORE i7 4930k | ASUS P9X79-PRO | 16GB G-SKILL 2400MHz RAM | GTX 780 3GB PHANTOM GLH EDITION | SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256GB | 2 X 1TB WD RE4 | 2TB WD GREEN | SILVERSTONE STRIDER 1200W GOLD | HAF-X w/ DEMCI FLEX FILTERS | SWIFTECH H320 AIO | WINDOWS 8.1 PRO w/ MEDIA CENTER x64.

Apprentice

But if the import tax is still at 0% (not shown in your post, so possibly false), what advantages are there?

And didn't the PS2 have programming abilities?

Master Poster
    If they can do what they wanted on the PS2 for the PS3 in terms of the rebate.
    I say, well done Sony. It'll certainly be worth any time the put into it.

However, they seemed a little hopefull with the PS2. I certainly never even vaguely
    considered it was anything other than a games console. Still, the idea merits true
    genius!

edit. Having read the article again... it doesn't apply to the PS3. So it
    seems like a useless endeavour. However, I'm sure that rebate they
    wanted would have made life a little easier for Sony.
    Poop, scoop and shoot.
    My band: http://soundcloud.com/nionabeo

Undercover Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor
    But if the import tax is still at 0% (not shown in your post, so possibly false), what advantages are there?

And didn't the PS2 have programming abilities?
    The income tax was at Zero in 2004 now its around 1.1% i do belive.

Apprentice

Just checking that Thanks for the clarification.

Superior Member

I predict that all the purchases and pre-orders of the PS3 and the possibility of the rebate on top of that, will let Sony go into the new controller idea which i think i read about at PS3Portal. The idea is some well, fluorlogical gel or something like that put in the controller, that has functions such as lets take Virtua Fighter 5 for example, your fighting a battle and you become defeated, the gel would become soft and make the controller feel soft because you were defeated. Talk about innovation. I think this is how Sony is going to get a come-back at Impulse.

Play B3yond

Superior Member
    There is one reason and only one reason they call it a computer, for it's price as a videogame console it's friggin expensive. So they call ti a computer and bam the price makes sense to some, ain't workin though
    Now for this, in the UK they got this tax on computers (Or so I've heard) and Sony beeing greedy they want to charge it for the PS2, so now the courts stuck a skillet up their ass, although with the PS3 they will get this tax as it has linux.

What life? What is death? If one acends then neither will matter.

Elite Member
    I believe it's just sony trying to get away with some extra $$$ (well millions, really, I wouldn't blame them)
    PSN ID: solinent | I accept all friend requests! |
    *insert generic quote about the ps3 taking over including bold for maximum effect (colors and size changes also apply)*

Apprentice
    There is a 0% import tax in two major areas of the world. The NAFTA and the EU. The NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement. This constitutes a 0% import tax on all goods between US, Canada and Mexico. The EU is the European Trade Union, this constitutes a 0% import tax on goods imported and exported between states in the EU.

Any goods imported outside these areas are subject to a import tax. Sony were trying to cut the import tax they have to pay down by classifying the PS2 as a computer and not a console.

Income tax is the tax you pay on the income you earn. There is no such thing as a 0% income tax in any country in the world that has a developed economy.

Import tax and Income tax are 2 VERY VERY different things.

There was a 1.7% Import duty placed on games consoles in 2001 in the EU. This decreased year by year to 0% in 2004. It is in this time that Sony wanted to brand the PS2 as a Computer to evade this 1.7% tax. In that same period computers attracted no import duty, hence their need to classify the PS2 as a computer.

This article clearly refers only to the PS2, and is not connected in any way or form to the PS3.

As there is no import duty on games consoles anymore, this is not the reason for calling the PS3 a computer. This arguement is also only valid for the EU, and so can't be held accountable for the rest of the world. Sony have their own reasons, probably another way to save money i guess. but we don't know for now.

Apprentice

I seriously think that the PS3 will be counted as a computer it definatley has computer functions and it's actually going faster than some computers gming wise or so i've heard so I believe that the PS3 will be named a computer too bad that didn't happen with the PS2
    Future=Owner=$600 PS3

Elite Guru
    SCE's decision to advertise the PS3 as a computer is dumb because it casts a bad light on the more glorious machine known as a game console. If they want to mae the PS3 a computer, sure, make it that, but don't go off babbling about it in their every other sentence. They can work out all their differences in court, but aiming those statements at gamers is just pretty dumb.

Nice find Supaman, now at least I know what Sony has been smoking... Cuban cigars rolled in money.
    "and I mean If he doesn't like you after he sees this, then you're just gonna have to go back home and put some more make up on."

Elite Member
    If they're going to call the PS3 a computer, then they should show off it's computer functions. Maybe I'm living under a rock, but I haven't seen them present anything linux related, all I've seen are game demos. If it was a computer, games would take a back-seat to it's computer-related functions.

Forum Guru

The Reason Sony is Calling the Ps3 a Computer!

Quote Originally Posted by toontoonizer
    There is a 0% import tax in two major areas of the world. The NAFTA and the EU. The NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement. This constitutes a 0% import tax on all goods between US, Canada and Mexico. The EU is the European Trade Union, this constitutes a 0% import tax on goods imported and exported between states in the EU.

Any goods imported outside these areas are subject to a import tax. Sony were trying to cut the import tax they have to pay down by classifying the PS2 as a computer and not a console.

Income tax is the tax you pay on the income you earn. There is no such thing as a 0% income tax in any country in the world that has a developed economy.

Import tax and Income tax are 2 VERY VERY different things.

There was a 1.7% Import duty placed on games consoles in 2001 in the EU. This decreased year by year to 0% in 2004. It is in this time that Sony wanted to brand the PS2 as a Computer to evade this 1.7% tax. In that same period computers attracted no import duty, hence their need to classify the PS2 as a computer.

This article clearly refers only to the PS2, and is not connected in any way or form to the PS3.

As there is no import duty on games consoles anymore, this is not the reason for calling the PS3 a computer. This arguement is also only valid for the EU, and so can't be held accountable for the rest of the world. Sony have their own reasons, probably another way to save money i guess. but we don't know for now.
    toontoonizer: Nice post, explained very well!

This is one of the reasons Sony wants to market the PS3 as a "computer" not the only reason.

40s
    I already posted this over here:

http://ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?p...hlight=#462149

But I put colling instead of calling for some reason, nvm.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Supaman_225
    ROFL that the funnyest thing i heard today

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
    "It's a dangerous business going out your front door."
    "Not all those that wander are lost."
    "Courage is found in unlikely places."
    "All that we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Deldwen
    Quote Originally Posted by Supaman_225
    ROFL that the funnyest thing i heard today
    yeah! i was also laughing sony is wrong about this ps3 is a computer thing... yes that ps3 has functions of a computer but it cant do everything that a pc do...
    tfw you want to use signatures you made that are saved in DA but this place still have a signature size limitations after all these years
    lol

Apprentice

Fishface wrote:

Supaman_225 Wrote:
    ... Hey why doesnt the controller have rumble??? lol jk.. You newbie's crack me up...

PSP: check
    PS2: check
    Greatest Console Ever made: NOVEMBER 17TH

It makes good sense they said that to save some millions.

Its no different from when people make false tax claims but they do.

Think about it,a computer by definition is very vague these days cause everthing says it has a computer.Thou not exactly for used word processing or internet but its still a computer used to make,calculate, or process data.
    Work smarter/Not harder

Dedicated Member
    Cheers Fishface - that has brought the first and probably biggest laugh of my day

regarding the topic - fair play to Sony for some creative Tax Avoidance. I dont think its being called a computer to justify the price as ( as has been previously discussed) there is enough in the box to justify the price anyway
    "Ever since I started working each day has been worse than the one before, so no matter what day you see me its the worst day of my life".

Thread Information