Latest PSU headlines:

Page 275 of 307 FirstFirst ... 265275285 ... LastLast
Results 6,851 to 6,875 of 7655
    Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    Nice lens. My dad has it and I used it while I was at Disney World several years ago (borrowing his lenses is one the reasons I shoot Canon). I have a 100-400 that covers most of that ground. However, the weight and size is much easier to tolerate than the 100-400, so it was much better for a day at Disney. My dad usually takes it for zoo shots since he doesn't like lugging around a heavier lens.
    I've been wanting a 100-400 for a while now. I've got a vacation coming up in the Rockies for a couple of weeks, and was wanting a really good lens for the trip. As I explained to my wife when she gasped at the price, "I don't want to have to walk up to the Grizzly Bear to take it's picture."

Not the pictures I want......

Unfortunately, the unplanned and forced purchase of a $13k air conditioner system sort of removed that option from the budget, so I had to settle on the cheaper 75-300mm lens.

In the pic, I also bought a Olympus E-PL5 to replace my point and shoot. It doesn't fit in a pants pocket like a P&S, but I can throw it in my gf's purse when we are out. I don't have that luxury with the 5D Mark III.
    That's another item on my wish list, a compact system digital camera. My T4i is a bit bulky to carry everywhere, but I've never found a P&S style camera that I was happy with. CSDCs seem like a nice compromise, not quite as good as a proper DSLR, but miles ahead of any cheap snapshot camera out there.

How do you like that Olympus? I've been debating between it and the Nikon J3.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 06-24-2013 at 18:28.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    The reason I bought the m43 was for its small size and the fact that I could also use it with my current lenses. If you buy an adapter for Canon lenses, you get a 2x crop factor, so it should be great for using with small lenses and getting extra focal length. For a concert, I could attach my 85mm 1.8 and get 170mm out of it. I could also attach a teleconverter and double that with the usual loss of light. You do lose autofocus with these adapters, but it is a small price to pay for something that can fit in a jacket pocket. Just put in a memory card with a lot of space so you can fire off a lot of shots to make sure you get one or two in focus.

I am really happy with it so far (although I have only had it for a very short time). We will be going out of town in a month or so, so I plan to take it along to get more first hand experience with how easy it is to use and carry around.

Just to stay on topic, Amazon sent me a couple new things to review:

seagate by uofmtiger, on Flickr

Dedicated Member

The reason I bought the m43 was for its small size and the fact that I could also use it with my current lenses. If you buy an adapter for Canon lenses, you get a 2x crop factor, so it should be great for using with small lenses and getting extra focal length. For a concert, I could attach my 85mm 1.8 and get 170mm out of it. I could also attach a teleconverter and double that with the usual loss of light.
    That is really good information to know. The Olympus just became a lot more interesting.

You do lose autofocus with these adapters, but it is a small price to pay for something that can fit in a jacket pocket.
    Autofocus? What's that?

I do most of my shots in full manual mode. I sometimes use one or more of the auto features, but I never use full auto unless it's just to test the lens out. Focus is one of the things I prefer to control myself because I've yet to find a camera that does good depth of field shots in auto mode. I prefer taking landscape, macro, and astral shots so I usually have the extra few seconds to focus myself.

And I am ordering this toy today.....

I need something to record the whitewater rafting that we'll be doing. It's definitely a no-go area for the DSLR.

4. Likes BBK.. wishes they had posted this first.
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That will be nice!! Can't wait to see some live action from the rafting!! I will be getting a really nice quadcopter from DJI soon-ish.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    The Last Of Us <3.

That's actually a pretty good one....I wish it wasn't GameStop exclusive or included the art book then I would have gotten it!

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    If you don't use autofocus, then you will probably get more use out of your current lenses than I will. Below is a pic with the new adapter, a 50mm 1.8, and the camera:

As you can see, it is a nice fit. The specs for the adapter (I got it on eBay) said it wouldn't work with APS-C lenses, but I attached a 18-200mm Sigma APS-C on it and it works fine. It may just have issues with certain lenses.

The GoPro is perfect for that type of adventure.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That will be nice!! Can't wait to see some live action from the rafting!! I will be getting a really nice quadcopter from DJI soon-ish.
    I've got family all over Colorado, so for me it's like going back to my old haunts. I'm very comfortable there.

However, neither my wife nor my daughter have ever seen a real mountain before and they really have no idea what I've gotten them into....

Peaceful Warrior
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    If you don't use autofocus, then you will probably get more use out of your current lenses than I will. Below is a pic with the new adapter, a 50mm 1.8, and the camera:

As you can see, it is a nice fit. The specs for the adapter (I got it on eBay) said it wouldn't work with APS-C lenses, but I attached a 18-200mm Sigma APS-C on it and it works fine. It may just have issues with certain lenses.

The GoPro is perfect for that type of adventure.
    Nice. :]
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage

Windows 8, 256GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD. Going to try and buy my watercooling stuff next week and i'm debating buying a Steelseries Sensei Fnatic mouse.

I'll post the boring pictures tomorrow or Monday

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    The Last Of Us <3.

Not sure what I'ma have to do to get one, but I will get that. It's awesome.

Master Poster
    abr_rescueandrestorecover.jpg

I also pre-ordered the launch day PS4 from amazon back when it was first available after the press conference.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation

I was actually hoping this movie would win best picture, and it did!

Master Sage
    The Last Of Us
    Hitman Absolution
    Spotify Premium
    Unotelly UnoDNS
    1x 'Man Of Steel' Ticket
    1x Sweet Popcorn
    1x Coke Zero

Saturday sorted.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Dedicated Member

New toy of the week....

Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT with the SBH200 ball head attachment. My wife will probably kill me for buying it, but it's my birthday so I just don't care. When she sees the results in the pictures she'll get over it.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 06-29-2013 at 20:11.

16. Likes Lebowski wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Not sure what I'ma have to do to get one, but I will get that. It's awesome.
    Luckily it was sold separately here in Oz. Kinda steep in price but man I love that game.
    Scares the crap outta me playing at night with lights off and headphones.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Master Sage
    I also bought Tomb Raider and DmC as well as Hitman and TLoU. I'll post photos in a bit.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Bought some Kemco jrpgs they were .99 cents on the play store couldn't pass that up...lol

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

PSN ID
    Vichael
    Items The Beatles
    Just picked up Sleeping Dogs for Xbox.

Dedicated Member

Money well spent.

Playing: Tomb Raider-Far Cry3-The Last Of Us
    Reserved: PS4-Infamous Second Son-Battlefield 4-Metal Gear Solid 5-Watch Dogs-Killzone Shadow Fall

22. Likes Lebowski , Itachi wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    New toy of the week....

Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT with the SBH200 ball head attachment. My wife will probably kill me for buying it, but it's my birthday so I just don't care. When she sees the results in the pictures she'll get over it.
    Let us know what you think of the ball head. I was thinking about getting one.

I got a Ninja blender:

ninja by uofmtiger, on Flickr

Dedicated Member

Let us know what you think of the ball head. I was thinking about getting one.
    After trying it out with my old, shaky hands I find it a bit difficult to make fine adjustments with it. (My other reason for needing a good tripod) I wouldn't blame the ball head, it's actually a great head. Easy to attach and use, smooth movement when moving the camera around normally, if I didn't suck so much it would be awesome.

Unfortunately I do have shaky hands after shattering my wrists years ago in a wreck, and this head was just not a good fit for me. I had trouble making really fine adjustments for macro shots, and my biggest problem was moving the camera as I tried to lock the head in position.

So I exchanged it. I'm waiting for the GH-100 pistol grip head to show up, hopefully tomorrow. I played with one in a camera shop and found it infinitely easier to make tiny 1mm adjustments and lock the camera in place with it.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 07-02-2013 at 00:39.

Peaceful Warrior
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    I got a Ninja blender:

ninja by uofmtiger, on Flickr
    Those things are scary to clean.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    YESSS!

Avatar TLA: The Promise Library Edition
    Unsounded Volume 1 (Printed version of a free webcomic, seriously you guys need to read that stuff)

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    After trying it out with my old, shaky hands I find it a bit difficult to make fine adjustments with it. (My other reason for needing a good tripod) I wouldn't blame the ball head, it's actually a great head. Easy to attach and use, smooth movement when moving the camera around normally, if I didn't suck so much it would be awesome.

Unfortunately I do have shaky hands after shattering my wrists years ago in a wreck, and this head was just not a good fit for me. I had trouble making really fine adjustments for macro shots, and my biggest problem was moving the camera as I tried to lock the head in position.

So I exchanged it. I'm waiting for the GH-100 pistol grip head to show up, hopefully tomorrow. I played with one in a camera shop and found it infinitely easier to make tiny 1mm adjustments and lock the camera in place with it.
    Thanks for the info. I may have to try one out before I get one. My current tripod head has an issue with locking in place with larger lenses. It is a pistol grip, but the handle is on the side, so I think it is less stable than the one you are considering.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Those things are scary to clean.
    Yep! I have been trying to get used to it. My old blender's blade was locked in all the time, so having one that falls out when the blender is flipped upside down has been dangerous. I am already getting better at cleaning it...nearly cutting through a hand can be a quick learning lesson. It also came with a couple single serve cups that allow you to blend it with a cap that attaches to the cup. It is much less dangerous and does just as good of job for small jobs.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Just now the NA psn store updated with summer sale so:

29. Likes Kuro wishes they had posted this first.

Thread Information