Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Will you purchase the new iPad?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    13 19.70%
  • no

    32 48.48%
  • Undecided.

    12 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 396 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 9876
  1. #26
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,597
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    242 (0 Banked)
    64 bit is useless unless you have 32gb? Hmm, ok. There's a reason that 32 bit only supports 3 and some odd gb, look into it. How many computers are left using 32bit that are in retail now? Not much. In all honesty, it's more of a type of culture is what it seems like. You still didn't tell me what makes the Mac better except saying that the same company that makes the hardware makes the software. Sorry to tell you, but Apple doesn't engineer that hardware. It's engineered by the same companies that engineer "Windows" compatible hardware. When Mac's can support thousands of different configurations then i'll be impressed, but it doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon. I always tell people i think the interface is slick, but as you can see I can find a higher spec windows computer for the money with software titles included. And we all know that Apple rapes us on everything, including ipods. It's all marketing, and they do it best. Their commercials are horrible if you know anything about computers though. I have had 1 malware on my computer in the last 10 years. It really comes down to whatever you like and if you're willing to spend the money on it. 90 percent of the people turn away when they see the price and whoever sells them on it being a "better" machine is full of crap. I would love to see their market share go up so we can see how poorly secure their OS is and how more sales will equal out to more failures. I would personally take that Envy over any Mac, mainly being because it's running Windows.

    -Sorry that my thoughts are all over the place and i didn't paragraph them in any way. It's just what you want, i may not think it's worth it but you may. Same thing as buying a certain car or house, etc...
    ****I7 920, GTX295 EVGA, 6gb OCZ****
    ***********Sony 40v4100***********
    **************60gb Ps3*************
    *******Arcade 360 w/ 20gb add-on*****

  2. #27
    Earthbound
    dc89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Taking my seat at the Fancy Pets Council
    Age
    25
    Posts
    15,673
    Rep Power
    106
    Points
    2,160 (72 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You raise some valid points.

    Also how can you expect Apple to offer the levels of service and software support it does without paying a premium.

    Name me a PC shop where you can go in, try them out one to one with an assistant, book tutorials and also have a personal shopper. There after sales is very good too, nothing it too much trouble for them.

    Any Mac owner who says they are virus free are ignorant, they're not virus free. I don't know the numbers of virus's out to target Mac, last time I heard it was around 70, I may of heard wrong. But they are 'safer'.

    OS:X or Vista.

    Anyone who enjoys computing would take OSX any day, I used to have a Vista PC and it was nothing but trouble, that's when I got my Mac. I had my Vista PC I think before SP 1 was out for it though, not gone back since. I know they have probably fixed a lot since but they shouldn't of shipped a half finished product that was influenced by OSX.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

  3. #28
    Supreme Veteran

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,585
    Rep Power
    123
    Points
    168 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    getting an IPOD and a IPHONE. Going to love it


  4. #29
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,597
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    242 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    getting an IPOD and a IPHONE. Going to love it
    Why not just get the I-phone?
    ****I7 920, GTX295 EVGA, 6gb OCZ****
    ***********Sony 40v4100***********
    **************60gb Ps3*************
    *******Arcade 360 w/ 20gb add-on*****

  5. #30
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,730
    Rep Power
    130
    Points
    3,261,843 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I honestly use my Ipod Touch for everything... I even moderate the forums from it some times LOL

    However, saying that, I do not believe for one second that any of Apple's pricing structure is good.

    I don't think the quality is poor or anything of that nature, nor are the GUI's or OS's bad, but their pricing is out the window.

    I have been a PC/Windows user for the last 15 odd years minimum simply because I cannot justify the price of a mac.

  6. #31
    Ultimate Veteran
    Tutankhamun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    21,495
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    2,181 (16,356 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Let's set one thing straight because this annoys me; there is no virus for OS X that has been discovered, they are a number of trojans though. These Trojans recuire that you enter your password after you has executed the file for them to do any damage.

    That's how it is on OS X right now, could change anytime though.

    It's important to know the differnce between a virus and a Trojan to understand the situation. I suggest wiki for that.

  7. #32
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,730
    Rep Power
    130
    Points
    3,261,843 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Let's set one thing straight because this annoys me; there is no virus for OS X that has been discovered, they are a number if trojans though.
    Google is your friend...and this is from 2006, so I am sure there are more.

    http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/ne...acosxleap.html

    Experts at SophosLabs™, Sophos's global network of virus, spyware and spam analysis centers, have announced the discovery of the first virus for the Apple Mac OS X platform. The virus, named OSX/Leap-A (also known as OSX/Oompa-A) spreads via instant messaging systems.
    The OSX/Leap-A worm spreads via the iChat instant messaging system, forwarding itself as a file called latestpics.tgz to contacts on the infected users' buddy list. When the latestpics.tgz archive file is opened on a computer it disguises its contents with a JPEG graphic icon in an attempt to fool people into thinking it is harmless.
    Some owners of Mac computers have held the belief that Mac OS X is incapable of harboring computer viruses, but Leap-A will leave them shellshocked.

    The worm uses the text "oompa" as an infection marker in the resource forks of infected programs to prevent it from reinfecting the same files.
    "Some owners of Mac computers have held the belief that Mac OS X is incapable of harboring computer viruses, but Leap-A will leave them shellshocked, as it shows that the malware threat on Mac OS X is real," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos. "Mac users shouldn't think it's okay to lie back and not worry about viruses."
    Sophos customers have been automatically protected against the worm since 12:25 GMT, 16 February 2006.
    "This is the first real virus for the Mac OS X platform," continued Cluley. "Apple Mac users need to be just as careful running unknown or unsolicited code on their computers as their friends and colleagues running Windows."
    Sophos advises all computer users, whether running PCs or Macs, to practise safe computing and keep their anti-virus software updated.
    Is Leap-A a virus or a Trojan?

    Some members of the Apple Macintosh community have claimed that OSX/Leap-A is a Trojan horse, and not a virus or worm, because it requires user interaction (the user has to receive a file via iChat, and manually choose to open and run the file contained inside).
    However, this is not the definition of a Trojan horse.
    A Trojan horse is a seemingly legitimate computer program that has been intentionally designed to disrupt and damage computer activity. Importantly, Trojan horses do not replicate or have any mechanism of spreading themselves. They have to be deliberately planted on a website, or accidentally shared with another user, or spammed out to email addresses. There is nothing inside a Trojan's code to distribute themselves further to other victims.
    Trojan horses do not contain any code to distribute or spread themselves, viruses and worms do.
    OSX/Leap-A is programmed to use the iChat instant messaging system to spread itself to other users. As such, it is comparable to an email or instant messaging worm on the Windows platform. Worms are a sub category of the group of malware known as viruses.
    Therefore, it is correct to call OSX/Leap-A a virus or a worm. It is not correct to call OSX/Leap-A a Trojan horse.

  8. #33
    Earthbound
    dc89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Taking my seat at the Fancy Pets Council
    Age
    25
    Posts
    15,673
    Rep Power
    106
    Points
    2,160 (72 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I've always said all along, if you say there are no threats to OSX security you are ignorant because they do exist, they are generally less heard of and pretty rare to catch.

    Out of all my Apple using colleagues, none of us between us have ever come in contact with one. One day I think In a strange way I would like to see one. Not on my machine of course, but maybe one at work as I deal with electrical after sales as my job. I see a few Windows Machines that have been infected, but no Mac's yet...

    As the install base of Mac's gets bigger, hackers will start to warrant spending the time to write the viruses.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

  9. #34
    Master Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,978
    Rep Power
    85
    Points
    19,450 (0 Banked)
    you get what you pay for.

    damn those macs are sexy. i want a new one.
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

  10. #35
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,816
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    39,352 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    You raise some valid points.

    Also how can you expect Apple to offer the levels of service and software support it does without paying a premium.

    Name me a PC shop where you can go in, try them out one to one with an assistant, book tutorials and also have a personal shopper. There after sales is very good too, nothing it too much trouble for them.

    Any Mac owner who says they are virus free are ignorant, they're not virus free. I don't know the numbers of virus's out to target Mac, last time I heard it was around 70, I may of heard wrong. But they are 'safer'.

    OS:X or Vista.

    Anyone who enjoys computing would take OSX any day, I used to have a Vista PC and it was nothing but trouble, that's when I got my Mac. I had my Vista PC I think before SP 1 was out for it though, not gone back since. I know they have probably fixed a lot since but they shouldn't of shipped a half finished product that was influenced by OSX.
    Microcenter

    And very soon, the microsoft store.

  11. #36
    Urban Ethnic
    bfd_josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Turtle walk HQ
    PSN ID
    bfd_josh
    Age
    21
    Posts
    5,394
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    122 (5,668 Banked)
    the magic mouse is ****ing sexy,ill be picking one of those puppies up at the end of this week, may even upgrade my imac...27" fooking crazyyyyy
    PSN - BFD_JOSH

  12. #37
    Earthbound
    dc89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Taking my seat at the Fancy Pets Council
    Age
    25
    Posts
    15,673
    Rep Power
    106
    Points
    2,160 (72 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Is Microcenter even an official MS store? I know they will be doing them, but by then Apple may of upped the game further with its services and stores, but I'm not sure how.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

  13. #38
    Ultimate Veteran
    Tutankhamun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    21,495
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    2,181 (16,356 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sorry to say that article is wrong, I remember that and everyone agreed that that was a Trojan since it requries user interaction. A virus should replicate itself and run without the user giving it(s) the right permissions, which you clearly needed to do with OSX/Leap-A.

    Trust me on this I've studied virus and Trojans and got good grades in it.

    And that trojan ran on Tiger it dosen't exist for Leopard or Snow Leopard.

  14. #39
    Apprentice
    Hologram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    38
    Points
    1,066 (0 Banked)
    i guess the difference is that, say if someone gets a decked out windows pc with all the goodies and what not and a mac of the same price but not as top in the tech area. in the end your getting a "windows" operating system. thats what differentiates macs and pcs. because with that same amount of money, yes your not getting all the top tech specs but your getting a mac os.

    i love the mac os over any that i ever messed with and either from windows 98 - windows 7 i find it superior. even though windows 7 is pretty nice. just my 2 cents

    PSN: Hologram777

  15. #40
    Ultimate Veteran
    Tutankhamun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    21,495
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    2,181 (16,356 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    Is Microcenter even an official MS store? I know they will be doing them, but by then Apple may of upped the game further with its services and stores, but I'm not sure how.
    It's a pathetic attempt from MS to copy what Apple has done right with there stores and to it themselves. All I have to say is good luck, they might need it.

  16. #41
    Master Sage
    Jaeger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    14,380
    Rep Power
    100
    Points
    2,083 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    I'm still using one of those beauties, and I intend to carry on using it for a long, long time. I have no use for an iPod Touch; they're so over-rated. I want an iPod for music - which it was originally created for - not some stupid 'app' to tell me how green my pee is. And they're way overpriced, too. Apple know how to make good products, yeah, but they're trying to rob us of our money.

    Now my mini-Apple rant is over, I can sit back and go on to say that I do want to get either a Macbook or Mac desktop. I have to use one everytime I go past my local Apple store, haha.

    Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.


  17. #42
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,834
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    18,129 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    Is Microcenter even an official MS store? I know they will be doing them, but by then Apple may of upped the game further with its services and stores, but I'm not sure how.
    What does it matter if it's an MS store or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    It's a pathetic attempt from MS to copy what Apple has done right with there stores and to it themselves. All I have to say is good luck, they might need it.
    Pathetic? Microsoft AND Apple have been copying each other for years. Each company comes up with good ideas, and each company take good ideas from the other. Not uncommon at all.

    And, there are plenty of vulnerabilities in OS:X, which is one of the reason you won't see it break into enterprise very much. Everyone knows that the vulnerabilities exist, and they also know Apple is slow to patch them (slower than the competition). If all of the sudden Apple market share broke away and went much higher, you would see a dramatic rise in the number of viruses, trojans, etc. And, Apple would have to get serious about fixing exploits in a timely fashion, which currently they are not.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  18. #43
    Ultimate Veteran
    Tutankhamun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    21,495
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    2,181 (16,356 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    Pathetic? Microsoft AND Apple have been copying each other for years. Each company comes up with good ideas, and each company take good ideas from the other. Not uncommon at all.

    And, there are plenty of vulnerabilities in OS:X, which is one of the reason you won't see it break into enterprise very much. Everyone knows that the vulnerabilities exist, and they also know Apple is slow to patch them (slower than the competition). If all of the sudden Apple market share broke away and went much higher, you would see a dramatic rise in the number of viruses, trojans, etc. And, Apple would have to get serious about fixing exploits in a timely fashion, which currently they are not.
    I see it as pathetic since I'm one of these rare ones that believe that invention is the way gain market share (I know I'm crazy)

    Of course there are vulnerabilities in OS X, there is vulnerabilities in every piece of software ever written. Still don't change the fact that OS X is seen by many as the more secure OS right now. Could change anytime though.

    I think the main reason mac's have had a hard time going into business is because of lack of knowledge but most important up to Snow Leopard lack of Exchange support.

    Also since MS has the most market share most bizarre software that some companies have used since Windows 98 doesn't exist on OS X.

    In the end, use the OS you want it's all down to the preference you have, no right or wrong in the end.

    I should also clarify that I have no problem with MS success they have earned there success for the most part. Fact remains they could see themselves outrun by the competitors pretty soon.

  19. #44
    Master Guru
    Cliché-Skating's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Creamfields, 10 feet away from the Swedish House Mafia.
    Age
    22
    Posts
    7,254
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    99 (0 Banked)
    I have tons of Apple gear. From over the years here is what i have had in order of purchase.

    iPod Mini ( now sold )
    30gb iPod 5th Generation ( now sold )
    8gb iPod Touch ( going to sell soon )
    Green iPod Nano which i found
    iPhone ( my mums but now mine )
    iPhone 3G ( my mums )
    Apple Macbook

    Apple is one of the best companies in the world in my opinion. Everything they make is to perfection.

  20. #45
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,834
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    18,129 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    I see it as pathetic since I'm one of these rare ones that believe that invention is the way gain market share (I know I'm crazy)
    Yeah, but both companies have "borrowed" ideas from each other. I understand your point, but they both do it to each other, Apple from MS and MS from Apple.

    Of course there are vulnerabilities in OS X, there is vulnerabilities in every piece of software ever written. Still don't change the fact that OS X is seen by many as the more secure OS right now. Could change anytime though.
    Yeah, perception is a large aspect of success.

    I think the main reason mac's have had a hard time going into business is because of lack of knowledge but most important up to Snow Leopard lack of Exchange support.

    Also since MS has the most market share most bizarre software that some companies have used since Windows 98 doesn't exist on OS X.
    Yes, big reason, much less software support.

    In the end, use the OS you want it's all down to the preference you have, no right or wrong in the end.
    Yeah, I like both OS'es really. I like Apple design as well. I am just trying to bring light to the fact that what MS is doing with the store is nothing different than what these two companies have been doing to each other in regards to taking ideas from the other since they have been in existence.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché-Skating View Post
    Apple is one of the best companies in the world in my opinion. Everything they make is to perfection.
    Like I said above, perception is everything! Well, that and GREAT marketing.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  21. #46
    Earthbound
    dc89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Taking my seat at the Fancy Pets Council
    Age
    25
    Posts
    15,673
    Rep Power
    106
    Points
    2,160 (72 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Just read that Nokia is attempting to sue apple for patent infringements on the iPhone. We'll have to see how this one goes but I see the share price has fell a bit today.

    I used to have a iPod Mini and it was the chief!

    Cliche is right, they do make everything to just so. Listen to Jonny Ives, voted the most influential English man in America, he designed the iMacs, the latest MacBooks, all the iPods and not forgetting the phone. He is so passionate about what he does when you hear him speak and very humble. He admits he is not the best drawer in the world and you'd think being a designer you'd need this but he said it's his passion, attention to detail that drives him.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

  22. #47
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,834
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    18,129 (0 Banked)
    Seriously guys, if you think everything Apple makes is done to perfection, you really are drinking too much of that Apple kool-aid. Seriously.

    Great products? Sure! Perfect? No way!
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  23. #48
    Earthbound
    dc89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Taking my seat at the Fancy Pets Council
    Age
    25
    Posts
    15,673
    Rep Power
    106
    Points
    2,160 (72 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Now i said they're just so. Not perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

  24. #49
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,834
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    18,129 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    Now i said they're just so. Not perfection.
    Sorry, that statement was confusing to me. I have never heard of "just so", maybe "so so", but not sure what calling something "just so" means. But, you said Cliche is right, and Cliche said "perfection", so I thought you just accidentally left it out, or something.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  25. #50
    Master Guru
    the_End's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    6,649
    Rep Power
    66
    Points
    2,040 (0 Banked)
    Just watched a video from the grand opening of the Microsoft store in Arizona and it's a basically a complete clone of an Apple Store. From the way it's set up, to employee's, even had employee's clapping and cheering people in the same fashion that Apple employee's do when they open a new store (2 lines of employee's, clapping, cheering, camera's etc). It was laughable to be honest.
    Mac Mini 2.3GHz i5, 500GB HD, 8GB Ram; 16GB iPhone 5; 16GB iPad mini

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.