Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Will you purchase the new iPad?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

14 20.59%
  • no

34 50.00%
  • Undecided.

13 19.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 336 of 397 FirstFirst ... 326336346 ... LastLast
Results 8,376 to 8,400 of 9913
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post

I'm having a problem with iTunes on the phone.
    No kidding the words are all jumbled up and there’s +weird+ characters everywhere!

Followup iPadTG notes:

If you don’t have a tablet, and can use a tablet (it’s not a “replacement” for anything, it’s a specific computing model), then this is the best product on the market.

If you have a 1st Gen, this is a _substantial_ upgrade, A4 > A5 Proc, 4X the RAM, 4X the pixels, (optionally/potentially 4X+ the cell speeds), much faster, no latency, no partial draw-ins in the browser.

If you have a 2nd Gen? Much trickier, because the CPU, general performance, etc., are very close. You do get 2X the RAM, the LTE and the display is really spectacular. I guess we’ll determine if the increased RAM and GPU performance is simply close to a “break even” because of the additional power needed to drive the display[?]

The battery life is fantastic, I’m actually running some videos right now just to run it totally down so I can do a full recharge.

The display (already mention above a few times), is really as good as you’ve heard. I recall people talking about the need to update to the new spec to “make use of it”, but pretty much all text, that’s called as actual text (vs. something like a bitmap resource), should always be better. The code says draw an ‘R’ at some size/font/style, and the OS simply renders one from a vector outline, at the optimized resolution.

So mail, calendar, books, web, text based apps like TapaTalk, FB, etc., etc., are all going to have spectacular quality display text.

FWIW, digging on the white too. It’s a nice break from our normal black choice.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

2. Likes MjW likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    I got the smart cover and the $4 back and luckily they work together. It may take a while to get used to it, coming from a leather case, but it I like the ability to remove the cover easily. The main complaint is the lack of viewing positions when I am not holding it, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Whether you want to upgrade, even from the original, just depends on how you use it. I can't see my mom paying $500 for sharper text and faster safari (which is her main use). My gf took my old iPad and she is happy with it. However, for me, it was worth it....I wanted a better screen and I would have updated from the ipad2 ( if I had one) for that reason. I probably would have sold it to make it easier to justify, though.

MOG introduced an iPad app for the new display today and it looks fantastic. The cover art really looks great on the new screen.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ok iphone afficianados. How do i access my favorites quickly?

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    ok iphone afficianados. How do i access my favorites quickly?
    Your favorite contacts? In the contacts app you can navigate to your desired contact and at the bottom there's a mark as favorite button. Then they'll be in the first screen of the phone app.
    Other opinions are available.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Come on guys, what are some good free and paid apps that you can recommend? Answer me or I'll get sad. :/
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    Come on guys, what are some good free and paid apps that you can recommend? Answer me or I'll get sad. :/
    What is the task you want to accomplish?

Master Guru
    Got a iPod touch 32gb.

Ultimate Veteran
    Went and played with the new iPad yesterday for the first time. I thought the screen was amazing and it felt much faster than my iPad. I loved it, would have bought one if I had the money right there.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    I just picked up a couple of new games [on the road]:

Swordigo - 2.5D style Zelda game, very fun
    Coco Loco - mainly scored for the little one, Angry Bird type play mechanics, but better, more fun character design

Those are also tweaked for the new iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Went and played with the new iPad yesterday for the first time. I thought the screen was amazing and it felt much faster than my iPad. I loved it, would have bought one if I had the money right there.
    I am loving mine so far. It’s exactly what I want in a tablet, and the performance and display are fantastic. Wife bought me a couple of e-books so I got some decent reading time and it’s just outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    I got the smart cover and the $4 back and luckily they work together. It may take a while to get used to it, coming from a leather case, but it I like the ability to remove the cover easily. The main complaint is the lack of viewing positions when I am not holding it, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Whether you want to upgrade, even from the original, just depends on how you use it. I can't see my mom paying $500 for sharper text and faster safari (which is her main use). My gf took my old iPad and she is happy with it. However, for me, it was worth it....I wanted a better screen and I would have updated from the ipad2 ( if I had one) for that reason. I probably would have sold it to make it easier to justify, though.

MOG introduced an iPad app for the new display today and it looks fantastic. The cover art really looks great on the new screen.
    While we were on the road (up in Pittsburgh then down to Universal for birthdays and whatnot ) I wanted to score a case for mine and of all places the electronics-r-us in the Pittsburgh airport had some Belkin frost colored rear covers that were cutout for a smart cover. Scored one of those (technically an iPadGT but fit on the TG ), and I’m going to try the smart cover combo. Figured the SC is easily removed, covers, has a stand and for the most part I just wanted a light rear cover to avoid scratches.

My old FG is now totally in the hands of the little one ... ordering her a pink NGP cover for it

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Your favorite contacts? In the contacts app you can navigate to your desired contact and at the bottom there's a mark as favorite button. Then they'll be in the first screen of the phone app.
    I don't know how I missed that tut.. thanks lol.

Superior Member

Absolutely stunning app. Best 5 I've spent in a long time, I think I'll be spending many hours on this

Master Sage
    Maybe someone can help me with this. Whenever I try to listen to music on my iPhone 4 through earphones, the volume will automatically increase and decrease of it's own accord or even cut out altogether. Sometimes it will only play through one earphone as opposed to both. I've tried two different sets of earphones and it's been the same way with both of them. I did a little Googling earlier and apparently it's a common problem with non-Apple earphones. Has anyone else here experienced this problem and am I really going to have to spend 40+ on a new pair of Apple earphones?

Forum Guru
    I’ve used all sorts of different headphones/earbuds and never experienced anything like that ... I don’t believe there’s any sort of problem with the output from the jack with “non-Apple” phones, however, it can physically cause a problem if you’re using a case because the 3.5 connector doesn’t snap down completely into the port (so my previous comment about no issues assumes a solid connection).

Are you using a case? My Elago cases are cutout a little larger which is very helpful, but you can also get a simple extension or adapter that will make a good solid connection. Right here at my desk I have a Bose speaker with a 3.5mm connection I use with my phone on occasion, and I have a 3.5>>3.5 expansion that ends with a 90 degree connector that snaps/locks down perfect, where the Bose cable won’t lock down.

Ultimate Veteran
    Yeah, I've never had that happen with any of my headphones either. I'd check the connection as DT said. If the connection is fine take it to an Apple Store and have a Genius check it out.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    While we were on the road (up in Pittsburgh then down to Universal for birthdays and whatnot ) I wanted to score a case for mine and of all places the electronics-r-us in the Pittsburgh airport had some Belkin frost colored rear covers that were cutout for a smart cover. Scored one of those (technically an iPadGT but fit on the TG ), and I’m going to try the smart cover combo. Figured the SC is easily removed, covers, has a stand and for the most part I just wanted a light rear cover to avoid scratches.
    I have been using the smart cover with a hard back rear cover for a few days and it has grown on me. I also got a neoprene Roocase for when I want to carry it to work. My favorite spot in the living room has a steel side table and I have found the magnets in the Smart Cover connect to the table and make it super sturdy when I have it standing up. I had no idea having steel tables would be such a benefit.

I finally got around to putting the Elgato case on the iPhone a few days ago. I like the change of pace from my other case. My Ety headphones have the issue of not being set all the way in the headphone input, so I have a few cheap adapters that I use. I would suggest buying an adapter before spending $50 on new headphones.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    I have been using the smart cover with a hard back rear cover for a few days and it has grown on me. I also got a neoprene Roocase for when I want to carry it to work. My favorite spot in the living room has a steel side table and I have found the magnets in the Smart Cover connect to the table and make it super sturdy when I have it standing up. I had no idea having steel tables would be such a benefit.

I finally got around to putting the Elgato case on the iPhone a few days ago. I like the change of pace from my other case. My Ety headphones have the issue of not being set all the way in the headphone input, so I have a few cheap adapters that I use. I would suggest buying an adapter before spending $50 on new headphones.
    Nice, I’m definitely going to try one (actually I think my Mom is going to pick up a SC for a late birthday present, I can see her in the Apple store now: “He has one those Sony Pad-Wii and needs a monitor cover for it” )

Do you have a source for some 3.5>>3.5 adapters that are really trim on the device side? I’ve got a couple of extensions, but I’d prefer just a small adapter vs. all the extra cable.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    Nice, Im definitely going to try one (actually I think my Mom is going to pick up a SC for a late birthday present, I can see her in the Apple store now: He has one those Sony Pad-Wii and needs a monitor cover for it )

Do you have a source for some 3.5>>3.5 adapters that are really trim on the device side? Ive got a couple of extensions, but Id prefer just a small adapter vs. all the extra cable.
    Ha, ha, sounds like my mom. My mom has an iPad, but she mainly uses Safari and email. The other apps are still a bit more than she wants to mess with.

I just buy something like this from Amazon. I bought them a while back, so I am not sure this is the exact same thing, but you get the idea.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    I’ve used all sorts of different headphones/earbuds and never experienced anything like that ... I don’t believe there’s any sort of problem with the output from the jack with “non-Apple” phones, however, it can physically cause a problem if you’re using a case because the 3.5 connector doesn’t snap down completely into the port (so my previous comment about no issues assumes a solid connection).

Are you using a case? My Elago cases are cutout a little larger which is very helpful, but you can also get a simple extension or adapter that will make a good solid connection. Right here at my desk I have a Bose speaker with a 3.5mm connection I use with my phone on occasion, and I have a 3.5>>3.5 expansion that ends with a 90 degree connector that snaps/locks down perfect, where the Bose cable won’t lock down.
    I am using a case, yeah, but I don't know the make of it. It just came bundled with a load of other accessories from my network provider. The case does form a small lip around the top which does overlap the top of the phone but only by an extremely tiny amount. I'll try the headphones on the iPhone without the case and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, then I have to pop in to the city next week anyway, I'll drop by the Apple store and let a Genius have a poke around. Cheers, guys.

UPDATE: So I gave that a try last night with a variety of earphones, from cheap brand ones from ASDA to Apple-branded earphones that are supplied with the iPhone, none of them work. And this is with the protective phone case off. Looks like I'll have to pop into the Apple store when I'm in the city later this week and get a Genius to take a look at it. Again, thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Jaeger; 04-01-2012 at 10:06.

Forum Guru
    Discounted iTunes cards, limit 2, but still a decent deal if you’re buying anyway:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Email-Deli...56574024639241

Best Boobs did the same deal (though a single $100 card for $80, Walmart is limit 2)

Master Sage
    Items Firefox LogoBruce LeeArsenal
    I voted no.. of course the new iPad would be my tablet of choice if I ever had the money for a tablet though!

Even though I love vanilla android on phones.. for the tablet, iOS is far ahead of anything else by lightyears.. it's the apps not on any other OS, the great hardware, and accessories built around it which make it the only choice.

- Global BBC iPlayer app I wish I had an iPad just for that! And of course book reading is better on it than phone, News readers are great adn many other apps.

Forum Guru
    “Happiness is not a frill” ~JC

Great point from JC in Hypercritical #62

Random Apple thoughts:

My 2nd startup I’ve just starting getting involved with (actually my partner from business #2) is all Apple, from admin to design to development. Just got our third round of funding, things are looking great (first round on the other startup I’m involved with should hit in ~15 days FWIW [i.e., not on topic ]). Both companies will have an iOS platform solutions, ramping up more on Xcode and working with some designers for prototype UIs that look pretty stunning.

Swordigo is a +blast+. If you like old school Zelda with a little Mario, it is so worth the $0.99! Last night we were playing and I had it being mirrored on the 54” plasma using Airplay. Very cool. Also picked up Paper Monsters which has some beautiful character and level design, though only put in ~10 minutes on it. Love the “floating” controls, every game should implement them like this.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    So, i want an ipad, but i cant tell anyone why i want one?! i have an iphone 4s and a decent laptop, so what is the point of me getting an ipad?!?!?!?!?

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    So, i want an ipad, but i cant tell anyone why i want one?! i have an iphone 4s and a decent laptop, so what is the point of me getting an ipad?!?!?!?!?
    The question should be how an iPad fits into your lifestyle. Can you find a place where you could benefit from having something more capable than your phone and something more portable/more fun than your laptop?

25. Likes 33x likes this post

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    I also have a smart phone and a good laptop, but I recently purchased an ipad mainly for web browsing in bed/downstairs and all of the apps like netflix, mlb, etc. It was well worth the purchase for me.

27. Likes 33x likes this post
    Forum Sage
    If it isn't obvious to you, then you probably don't need one.

29. Likes 33x likes this post

Thread Information