Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Will you purchase the new iPad?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

13 19.70%
  • no

32 48.48%
  • Undecided.

12 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 337 of 396 FirstFirst ... 327337347 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,425 of 9876
    Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    The question should be how an iPad fits into your lifestyle. Can you find a place where you could benefit from having something more capable than your phone and something more portable/more fun than your laptop?
    i cant really see how atm...but then

Quote Originally Posted by Royals View Post
    I also have a smart phone and a good laptop, but I recently purchased an ipad mainly for web browsing in bed/downstairs and all of the apps like netflix, mlb, etc. It was well worth the purchase for me.
    Then i saw this, thats want i will do with it!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Master Sage
    Items Firefox LogoBruce LeeArsenal
    You also have many apps on the iPad which just deliver a unique experience you can't really get anywhere else. Plus magazines (National Geographic), plus that amazing screen... I am a big fan of Android but the new iPad is really something that I wish I could buy.

You get things like SkySports (use during F1) /or BBC iPlayer and it's awesome.

Tutankhamun could probably name you good apps.

Forum Guru
    The question should be how an iPad fits into your lifestyle. Can you find a place where you could benefit from having something more capable than your phone and something more portable/more fun than your laptop?
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    If it isn't obvious to you, then you probably don't need one.
    I think a mix of these two answers ... is the answer

Tablets kind of have their own usage model, when you need/want that, it’s better than a phone, better than a notebook, while not necessarily “replacing” either

My Mom hooked me up with a [blue] Smartcover (OEM Apple) as a late BD gift (we went over for Easter dinner). I think I mentioned above I scored a Belkin snap cover while I was traveling, and it was cutout on the side for the Smartcover.

Totally dig on this (had a gen 1 before so no option for this). Fits perfect, micro fiber underside cleans the screen, super easy to connect/remove, make a nice stand, folds behind out of the way.

Random pics for no particular reason:

"Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Ultimate Veteran
    There's a new free tool to check if your Mac has been infected by the Flashback malware. Definitely worth running to check your system, do note that the malware uses a Java exploit and thus if you never had Java installed on your Mac (Mac's shipped with Lion does not have Java pre-installed) your system was not vulnerable. But if you do have Java installed or if you don't know. Run this tool. Macworld has the gist of it and a link to the tool: http://www.macworld.com/article/1166..._infected.html

As an aside, I'd recommend uninstalling Java, or at least disabling it in your browser preferences, if you don't need it. Unfortunately, Java has been riddled with some big security holes over the years and even more unfortunate - Apple hasn't been fast to release the appropriate patches.
    Last edited by Tutankhamun; 04-10-2012 at 15:41.
    Other opinions are available.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    Tablets kind of have their own usage model, when you need/want that, it’s better than a phone, better than a notebook, while not necessarily “replacing” either
    Yes, I think that a lot of critics were expecting it to replace every other gadget/computer they owned, which for a good deal of people, it doesn't. My iPad gets more use at home than all my other computers put together, but I still like having the other computers for the bigger screens and capabilities.

Tut, I did the terminal commands that were posted on MacRumors and none of my Macs have the issue. I disabled Java, but I found that I needed it for some specific sites that still use it. Is there some program that allows you to enable Java on certain sites while keeping it disabled on every other site?

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    Tut, I did the terminal commands that were posted on MacRumors and none of my Macs have the issue. I disabled Java, but I found that I needed it for some specific sites that still use it. Is there some program that allows you to enable Java on certain sites while keeping it disabled on every other site?
    I guess one option is to have a Java designated browser, like just use it in Chrome, and just hit those specific sites with Chrome, and disable it in Safari for all other web use (I think Tut mentioned he does something like that with Flash).

Love the Smartcover BTW, last night I was reading with it, and I just snapped off the cover. For me, it’s the perfect solution, let me quickly/easily go light or covered.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    I think ClicktoPlugin can do it, but I haven't tried it myself. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37890/clicktoplugin

If you can live with it, you could also just enable it when you go to those sites but if they are many that's a pain. You could make that process by enabling the developer menu in Safari if you use Safari. Then you can do it from the menubar instead of the browser preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    I guess one option is to have a Java designated browser, like just use it in Chrome, and just hit those specific sites with Chrome, and disable it in Safari for all other web use (I think Tut mentioned he does something like that with Flash).

Love the Smartcover BTW, last night I was reading with it, and I just snapped off the cover. For me, itís the perfect solution, let me quickly/easily go light or covered.
    Yeah, I do that with Flash and Chrome. But I'm unsure the same would work with Java. The only reason it works with Flash is because Chrome includes its own Flash bundle, making it possible to uninstall it from your system and use the bundled Flash plugin in Chrome. I have no idea if Chrome ships with Java (doubt it since carries their own build).

The Smart Cover is pretty smart.
    Last edited by Tutankhamun; 04-10-2012 at 16:32.

I'm A Monster!
    Items User name style
    I bought my iPad for my 15 hour flight to China. It will be extremely clutch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sig By FinalReaper.
    Socom/Trophy Card.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I am going to enable it on Chrome and disable it on Safari. Then I will use Chrome only for the sites I need it. I think that will work.

My only issue with the smart cover is that you can only stand it in two positions. I would like more choices there, but overall I am liking it. The ability to toss off the cover is nice.

Ultimate Veteran
    That would work!

---

Tim Cook will D10 in May: http://www.macstories.net/news/tim-c...10-conference/

Should be a good one.

Forum Guru

Dedicated Member
    Coolest iPhone stuff ever!

I downloaded an app called Audiotap. You install a program on your Mac and it will stream your library to your iPhone. I have iTunes Match, but the cool thing about this app is that you don't have to download while listening, it will stream ALAC files, and let you choose the bitrate ("original" rate down to 20kbps if you have a horrible connection or you are getting close to maxing out your data plan).

Ultimate Veteran
    Mac users should check System Update, Apple has released a two software options for removing the Flashback malware. One Java update for people with Java installed. One regular update for those without Java installed but infected via other means.

Forum Guru
    My 2nd startup I’ve just starting getting involved with (actually my partner from business #2) is all Apple, from admin to design to development. Just got our third round of funding, things are looking great (first round on the other startup I’m involved with should hit in ~15 days FWIW [i.e., not on topic ]). Both companies will have an iOS platform solutions, ramping up more on Xcode and working with some designers for prototype UIs that look pretty stunning.
    Just signed and I’m onboard with that #2 company, already started with the iOS app design and architecture. Starting up some backend developing using MAMP (this system will probably go all open source platform).

Forum Guru
    Figured most of the Apple folks would be interested in this:

The Lost Steve Jobs Tapes
    A treasure trove of unearthed interviews, conducted by the writer who knew him best, reveals how Jobs's ultimate success at Apple can be traced directly to his so-called wilderness years.
    http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...s-legacy-tapes

(I realize it’s two posts in a row, but I figured it would bump the thread so people notice. )

16. Likes Tutankhamun wishes they had posted this first.
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Mac users should check System Update, Apple has released a two software options for removing the Flashback malware. One Java update for people with Java installed. One regular update for those without Java installed but infected via other means.
    Or people just shouldn't be morons clicking and opening everything they see and punching in the admin info anytime the computer asks. This Trojan couldn't be any easier to avoid. But these types of people exist on every platform. There should be an intro video on every new computer giving people the basics of not getting infected through idiocy and practicing common sense. These same practices apply to Windows as well.
    Simplicity is the key to Brilliance

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Or people just shouldn't be morons clicking and opening everything they see and punching in the admin info anytime the computer asks. This Trojan couldn't be any easier to avoid. But these types of people exist on every platform. There should be an intro video on every new computer giving people the basics of not getting infected through idiocy and practicing common sense. These same practices apply to Windows as well.
    You can't really expect normal users to understand what they should trust and not trust though. Especially not Java since Apple keeps its own bundle which they update at their own discretion. OS X could also be better at not asking for the admin password as often to really make people notice when it does ask. As it is (maybe more true before the Mac App Store) the admin password dialog appears quite often for quite mundane tasks. Flashback in particular I imagine could be confusing for normal, non geek, users since they may not be the type of person to really pay 100% attention to the GUI mechanics of OS X and thus could be confused by a malicious Adobe Flash installer masking itself as an legit one.

Apple are doing a lot to make OS X more and more secure but nobody can really be pleased with the time it takes for them to push out patches to know vulnerabilities in some of the code they use. That's definitely something they can do a lot better, both on OS X and iOS.

Administrator
    You can't really expect normal users to understand what they should trust and not trust though. Especially not Java since Apple keeps its own bundle which they update at their own discretion. OS X could also be better at not asking for the admin password as often to really make people notice when it does ask. As it is (maybe more true before the Mac App Store) the admin password dialog appears quite often for quite mundane tasks. Flashback in particular I imagine could be confusing for normal, non geek, users since they may not be the type of person to really pay 100% attention to the GUI mechanics of OS X and thus could be confused by a malicious Adobe Flash installer masking itself as an legit one.

Apple are doing a lot to make OS X more and more secure but nobody can really be pleased with the time it takes for them to push out patches to know vulnerabilities in some of the code they use. That's definitely something they can do a lot better, both on OS X and iOS.
    Yeah, that's the sad truth, unfortunately. They're taking a step in the next direction with Mountain Lion in terms of the average user not installing something stupid, but we'll see how things pan out.

Hello everyone=)

Can someone help me please?

Im looking to buy a macbook pro but i never used Mac OS before

I got 2 choices :

1: macbook pro 13 inch Intel i5 [with Lion]
    or
    2: macbook pro 15 inch Intel i7 [with snow leopard]

which one is better?

also does Mac OS have a magnifier like in windows?

Thx =)

Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    Get the 15 inch of course
    Vengeful is amazing<3

Dedicated Member
    It only costs $29 to upgrade to Lion.

DT, congrats on your new ventures!

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitomi View Post
    Hello everyone=)

Can someone help me please?

Im looking to buy a macbook pro but i never used Mac OS before

I got 2 choices :

1: macbook pro 13 inch Intel i5 [with Lion]
    or
    2: macbook pro 15 inch Intel i7 [with snow leopard]

which one is better?

also does Mac OS have a magnifier like in windows?

Thx =)
    If you can afford the 15" that's the more powerful machine. But you also have to count in what screen size you want? If you plan on taking it with you a lot, maybe a "13 would be better due to it being more portable.

If you do get the "15 I'd upgrade it to Lion right away. Lion is only $29 so it is very affordable.

OS X doesn't have an exact replica of the magnifier but you can easily zoom in using the multi-touch trackpad on the notebooks just like on an iPad. This works even better in Lion. There's also a lot of accessibility features built right into the OS that you can take advantage of, if needed.

Thanks for the replies guys =)

So the 15 inch is better...

but how do I upgrade the OS? do I do it online ?

Also do i need antivirus software?

Thx again ^^

Administrator
    I'd get the 15" with the dedicated graphics card. You update to Lion via the Mac App Store. You'll need an Apple ID, which is simple to get. Lion is 30 dollars. I would wait, however, as Mountain Lion is due out in a few months, so you might as well save your money and buy the new OS instead.

No, you don't need an antivirus. You can use ClamXav, which is a free antivirus and you can just use it to manually scan every once in a while. There are currently zero viruses for Mac, but there are Trojans, but using common sense will prevent you from getting them.

Good luck!

Ultimate Veteran
    Even if you wait on Mountain Lion, you'll still need Lion to be able to upgrade. So I'd go ahead and get it right away.

Thread Information