View Poll Results: Will you purchase the new iPad?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

14 20.59%
  • no

34 50.00%
  • Undecided.

13 19.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 338 of 397 FirstFirst ... 328338348 ... LastLast
Results 8,426 to 8,450 of 9913
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'd recommend a clean install instead of an upgrade. He wouldn't need to buy Lion if he clean installs Mountain Lion.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I'd recommend a clean install instead of an upgrade. He wouldn't need to buy Lion if he clean installs Mountain Lion.
    That's not necessarily true. The only way to upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard (from the start) was to do an upgrade via the Mac App Store. I'm assuming the same will be true for Mountain Lion. I don't think they'll sell those USB sticks with the OS on as they did for a while with Lion because Schiller confirmed they sold very poorly. But we'll know for sure closer to the release.
    Other opinions are available.

I'd get the 15" with the dedicated graphics card. You update to Lion via the Mac App Store. You'll need an Apple ID, which is simple to get. Lion is 30 dollars. I would wait, however, as Mountain Lion is due out in a few months, so you might as well save your money and buy the new OS instead.

No, you don't need an antivirus. You can use ClamXav, which is a free antivirus and you can just use it to manually scan every once in a while. There are currently zero viruses for Mac, but there are Trojans, but using common sense will prevent you from getting them.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply =)

yea i do have apple ID as i use it on my iPhone and iPad 2 =)

thx =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Even if you wait on Mountain Lion, you'll still need Lion to be able to upgrade. So I'd go ahead and get it right away.
    okies thanks =)

Im not a he =P

but Thx =)
    That's not necessarily true. The only way to upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard (from the start) was to do an upgrade via the Mac App Store. I'm assuming the same will be true for Mountain Lion. I don't think they'll sell those USB sticks with the OS on as they did for a while with Lion because Schiller confirmed they sold very poorly. But we'll know for sure closer to the release.
    Thx for the information=)
    Last edited by Hitomi; 04-20-2012 at 11:08.

Forum Guru
    Another vote for the 15” for a few reasons:

* Dedicated GPU (that can be toggled off for long battery life or on for external displays, GPU intensive apps, etc)
    * Option for high[er] resolution display and/or anti-glare display
    * Quad Core CPU

The upgraded display is very nice, 1680x1050, and I’m a big fan of anti-glare on notebook displays (since they get moved into non-optimal lighting situations).

Personally, I’d go with an Air over a 13” MBP. It’s a little more money but you get SSD standard, higher resolution display, thinner, lighter ... just a loss of an internal optical drive, smaller storage and no user RAM upgrade option.

FWIW, I’m running a 15”, high-res, anti-glare, 8GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HDD, i7 2.3 GHz quad/8MB, 6750 1GB GPU

Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    DT, congrats on your new ventures!
    Thanks! Still running my company (just got another funding round for a major project), CTO of another, and now Dir. of Engineering for a 3rd. Woot! Going to be fun and crazy for the rest of the year
    Last edited by [DT]; 04-20-2012 at 16:38.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Administrator
    First of all, that was never the only upgrade option. Don't know what lead you to that conclusion. It's extremely easy to make a DVD or USB stick with Lion or Mountain Lion on it using the downloaded installer you get from the Mac App Store using Disk Utility. I've done it about 20 times now and quite a few times with Mountain Lion because I've been toying around with the Developer Preview which I've installed on a second partition. If she wants to do that I can post a very simple how-to on the matter. Plus the USB stick from Apple cost twice as much, so making your own USB stick is more sensible.

So yes, I still recommend a clean install. I've done many upgrades and they never turn out as stable as reformatting.

@ Hitomi: Are you buying this laptop new or used? I ask because not only is Mountain Lion coming out in a few months, but so are all the new laptops... including the Airs. You might want to hold off until then. The new laptops are going to have USB 3.0, thanks to the Ivy Bridge boards from Intel. Ivy Bridge will also allow better battery life, among other things.

I'd wait it out. Don't want a case of buyer's remorse when new laptops come out right after you get yours.
    Last edited by Brandon; 04-20-2012 at 17:42.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    Another vote for the 15” for a few reasons:

* Dedicated GPU (that can be toggled off for long battery life or on for external displays, GPU intensive apps, etc)
    * Option for high[er] resolution display and/or anti-glare display
    * Quad Core CPU

The upgraded display is very nice, 1680x1050, and I’m a big fan of anti-glare on notebook displays (since they get moved into non-optimal lighting situations).

Personally, I’d go with an Air over a 13” MBP. It’s a little more money but you get SSD standard, higher resolution display, thinner, lighter ... just a loss of an internal optical drive, smaller storage and no user RAM upgrade option.

FWIW, I’m running a 15”, high-res, anti-glare, 8GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HDD, i7 2.3 GHz quad/8MB, 6750 1GB GPU
    Great info Thx =)

Ultimate Veteran
    First of all, that was never the only upgrade option. Don't know what lead you to that conclusion. It's extremely easy to make a DVD or USB stick with Lion or Mountain Lion on it using the downloaded installer you get from the Mac App Store using Disk Utility. I've done it about 20 times now and quite a few times with Mountain Lion because I've been toying around with the Developer Preview which I've installed on a second partition. If she wants to do that I can post a very simple how-to on the matter. Plus the USB stick from Apple cost twice as much, so making your own USB stick is more sensible.

So yes, I still recommend a clean install. I've done many upgrades and they never turn out as stable as reformatting.
    Are you sure that'll be the case this time around though? Seems like a bit of bet to take. I wouldn't necessarily recommend reformatting for novice users either. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the system requirements to download Mountain Lion will be a Lion machine.

I did an upgrade from Snow Leopard on my MBP when Lion was released and that worked fine, but my machine was only 2 months old at that time. But for most use cases I wouldn't say you need to do a clean install, it is really only necessary if you have made some kernel modifications or want to "spring clean" your Mac.

But it sounds to me like she's going for a refurb or a used machine in which case you'd have to assume it will come with a clean install.
    Other opinions are available.

Administrator
    Are you sure that'll be the case this time around though? Seems like a bit of bet to take. I wouldn't necessarily recommend reformatting for novice users either. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the system requirements to download Mountain Lion will be a Lion machine.

I did an upgrade from Snow Leopard on my MBP when Lion was released and that worked fine, but my machine was only 2 months old at that time. But for most use cases I wouldn't say you need to do a clean install, it is really only necessary if you have made some kernel modifications or want to "spring clean" your Mac.

But it sounds to me like she's going for a refurb or a used machine in which case you'd have to assume it will come with a clean install.
    Yes it will be the case next time around... and the case after that. I would bet my left kidney on that. It's the same InstallESD.DMG image that's been used in every release of OS X for the last decade. They have to do it this way. It's how the Operating System installs. You simply use the Restore function in Disk Utility to put the InstallESD.DMG image onto a USB stick and it becomes a bootable installer. FYI, if you put it on a USB stick it boots and installs 10 times faster than if put it onto a DVD, so I can't recommend burning it to a DVD unless that person enjoys waiting. 8 GB USB sticks cost like 8 bucks or so anyways. A decent investment.

Doing a clean install is not some advanced technique that only experts can use. It can be explained in a few simple steps.

People really make a big deal out of clean installs over upgrades and it is the simplest process on the planet. You shouldn't shun other methods of installing an Operating System out of fear that the end user may be completely retarded. You should give people more credit. Once they do it, they'll know how from that point on. And if they're confused, well I'm more than willing to help that person out to get things going.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the system requirements to download Mountain Lion will be a Lion machine.
    No. It's already been confirmed by Apple that you just need Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or above to download/install Mountain Lion as an upgrade.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    I have my iTunes library on a drive connected to the USB input on an Airport Extreme. Is there software that will copy this drive to another drive on the network automatically once a week or when something changes? I was thinking about getting a NAS for redundancy, but since I have issues connecting my old NAS to my Macs, I would rather just get another drive and hook it up to a Mac Mini.

Administrator
    I have my iTunes library on a drive connected to the USB input on an Airport Extreme. Is there software that will copy this drive to another drive on the network automatically once a week or when something changes? I was thinking about getting a NAS for redundancy, but since I have issues connecting my old NAS to my Macs, I would rather just get another drive and hook it up to a Mac Mini.
    http://www.bombich.com/

Oh and it's free.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    http://www.bombich.com/

Oh and it's free.
    Looks perfect! Thanks for the link, I will try it out.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    My housemate has become a macfag - 11" MacBook air- for some reason. Think it was shiny and expensive. You know what girls are like

Seriously though anything you would recommend her to get software wise both free or paid that would enhance her experience. (im going to install the obligatory office and things like vlc but anything OSX specific im not really knowledgeable)

Thanks guys.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    My housemate has become a macfag - 11" MacBook air- for some reason. Think it was shiny and expensive. You know what girls are like

Seriously though anything you would recommend her to get software wise both free or paid that would enhance her experience. (im going to install the obligatory office and things like vlc but anything OSX specific im not really knowledgeable)

Thanks guys.

So you trying to get into her knickers or what?

Forum Guru
    Xcode
    Develop iOS app
    Sell to Facebook
    Profit

I totally dig on the 11” MBA, it’s super portable, has plenty of computing power, beautiful display, SSD standard. Good stuff.

Once you have all the iLife apps like iMovie, iPhoto, combined with the apps included with the OS (Mail, Safari, iCal), you don’t need a ton extra for most “personal productivity”. I’ve got a ton of apps for development, design/diagram, etc., but those are all very specific to my professional needs.

Administrator

Thanks guys.

What's wrong with the Air? It's the highest quality ultrabook available and the trackpad continues to go unrivaled. It's also the same price as other ultrabooks in the same spec range. It also has a higher resolution screen than the 13", allowing more screen real estate. The flash storage also makes it boot up in 7 seconds from a cold start.

I fail to see how owning one would dub someone a "Macfag".

You can also put Windows on it and make it a bad ass Windows ultra portable.

Again... I fail to see the issue... except that your friend $#@!ed herself in the ass as the new MacBook Airs are coming out very very soon.

Edit: What does she want to do with it? To answer your question...
    Last edited by Brandon; 04-23-2012 at 21:31.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Cleaned up the garbage. *flexin*

Any more insults will be infracted...infractioned......will receive an infraction.
    Last edited by 33x; 04-24-2012 at 15:58.

17. Likes 33x likes this post
    young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    What's wrong with the Air? It's the highest quality ultrabook available and the trackpad continues to go unrivaled. It's also the same price as other ultrabooks in the same spec range. It also has a higher resolution screen than the 13", allowing more screen real estate. The flash storage also makes it boot up in 7 seconds from a cold start.

I fail to see how owning one would dub someone a "Macfag".

You can also put Windows on it and make it a bad ass Windows ultra portable.

Again... I fail to see the issue... except that your friend $#@!ed herself in the ass as the new MacBook Airs are coming out very very soon.

Edit: What does she want to do with it? To answer your question...
    I was clearly joking.......

And yeah I told her but she really needed a comp and student loans came in yesterday

Last edited by squirrelbo1; 04-24-2012 at 16:41.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Administrator
    And yeah I told her but she really needed a comp and student loans came in yesterday

She could've temporarily bought some gigantic piece of crap computer on Craigslist or something and waited it out. I personally wouldn't spend a grand on something if I knew a better version was coming out in 1-2 months.

At least you warned her!

Forum Guru
    A company I recently ramped up with is giving away iPads as part of the product delivery model. The hardware cost is trivial vs. the improved UI/UX of a touch device. Cool stuff.

Administrator
    Yay free! I love giveaways! Except I never win.

Forum Guru
    Yay free! I love giveaways! Except I never win.
    Well, it’s “free” as in they subscribe to a service dealing with business analytics which they _pay_ a decent sum, and get a stack of ‘em

Administrator
    Well, it’s “free” as in they subscribe to a service dealing with business analytics which they _pay_ a decent sum, and get a stack of ‘em
    Ahh...

I really need to sober up. Or just go to bed.

Dedicated Member
    There is always a catch!

25. Likes dreams, [DT] likes this post
    Forum Guru
    There is always a catch!
    Hahaha, yeah, the fine print always gets you

Holy Smokes! All gone in just 2 hours ...

https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/tickets/

Thread Information