Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Will you purchase the new iPad?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

14 20.59%
  • no

34 50.00%
  • Undecided.

13 19.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 368 of 396 FirstFirst ... 358368378 ... LastLast
Results 9,176 to 9,200 of 9896
    Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    But do you really NEED to spend that much on a computer?
    Do i need to? Nope.
    Do i want to? Yes.

I'm someone who likes to treat themselves to gifts. I'm a materialistic guy. I judge my success on what i've been able to treat myself and others with.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Do i need to? Nope.
    Do i want to? Yes.

I'm someone who likes to treat themselves to gifts. I'm a materialistic guy. I judge my success on what i've been able to treat myself and others with.
    I was just prodding. Whatever makes you happy, that's all that matters.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Are the new iMacs out yet? God this is taking ages!
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Are the new iMacs out yet? God this is taking ages!
    They'll probably be announced at next week's Apple event. If not... then soon thereafter.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    They'll probably be announced at next week's Apple event. If not... then soon thereafter.
    I just hope that the rumour of releasing the 21.5" first and the the 27" inch at a later date doesn't come true.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/14/...hoto-surfaces/

Administrator
    I just hope that the rumour of releasing the 21.5" first and the the 27" inch at a later date doesn't come true.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/14/...hoto-surfaces/
    That's not really a "rumor". Apple always does that with the iMacs... especially if they're introducing new tech/redesign (bottleneck with manufacturing, etc.). It would actually surprise me if they weren't released at different times.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    That's not really a "rumor". Apple always does that with the iMacs... especially if they're introducing new tech/redesign (bottleneck with manufacturing, etc.). It would actually surprise me if they weren't released at different times.
    Oh man. The wait will never end.

Administrator
    Apple are the masters of anticipation. =\

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    If you can assemble your own computer with the exact hardware in an imac/mac pro I fail to see any disadvantage aside from aesthetics.
    I think the main disadvantage is the loss of time to research, find the right hardware, and troubleshoot issues. I would rather spend my time doing something else...I could also make money with that time, so depending on the amount of time devoted and the amount of money your time is worth, it could cost more to build than just buying from Apple.

Administrator
    [ double post ]
    Last edited by Brandon; 10-16-2012 at 19:51.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    I think the main disadvantage is the loss of time to research, find the right hardware, and troubleshoot issues. I would rather spend my time doing something else...I could also make money with that time, so depending on the amount of time devoted and the amount of money your time is worth, it could cost more to build than just buying from Apple.
    If you can assemble your own computer with the exact hardware in an imac/mac pro I fail to see any disadvantage aside from aesthetics.

The advantage is that you can build a PC like you normally would but have the advantage of being able to run OSX in addition to windows, with few if any changes to the specs.

Of course the other option is literally taking components out of existing macs and putting them in your own enclosure.

You have more of a point regarding laptops.
    And this isn't directed at you, but I find the whole "my time is valuable and costs me money" argument to be a weak one. How often does a person change computers (desktop)? I'd say somewhere between 2-5 years depending on the individual. At most the entire process to assemble a computer and install OS/programs would take at most 1 day. (granted this doesn't take into account shipping time for online purchases or RMA time for defective hardware, but that is hard to account for with a general time estimate).

So at most 1 day every 2-5 years. Essentially nothing. Not to mention apple doesn't give you much value with their desktops. The mac pro is still high priced and not up to date. The mini has limited uses. That leaves the imac as the ideal mac desktop (in apples eyes). So not only do you have to consider the price (which is mostly reasonable for the imac, aside from the hardware being outdated) but the form factor as well (not so reasonable).

It really is a non issue. The biggest obstacle is a person deciding that it is something that they would want to do. (if they think they are capable) Which is vastly less of a concern with internet resources.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    Yeah no. You're making it sound way more time consuming than it actually is. It's really not a big deal. And you don't quite grasp the full spectrum of issues with Apple's closed off world. They're a P.I.T.A. If you want to talk about wasted time, if your hard drive goes bad, you have to send your iMac to Apple and wait for them to replace it, provided the iMac is still under warranty. If you try to do it yourself... you have to remove the front panel glass with suction cups (making sure you don't damage the panel). Once you finally get inside the thing, you'll realize the SATA connector is a proprietary apple connector which requires ordering a special third-party attachment from OWC. Now... once you get the hard drive you want in there... you'll realize that no third-party hard drive will work due to Apple's proprietary firmware they install on their hard drives. This firmware will cause the fans to speed up to max, leading to a boot error with any third-party drive no matter what you do. The only way to bypass this firmware is to install a third-party fan throttling utility, which will prevent the fans from going overload and allowing you to finally use third-party hard drives with your iMac.

The only thing upgradeable on the iMac that isn't a pain in the ass is the RAM... and hopefully that will also be the case next gen. However, I'm hearing rumors that the front panel is going to be glued on and you won't even be able to replace the hard drive yourself, even if you are adventurous enough to try it.

Another thing... the iMac... despite appearing to be a desktop computer... is using mobile chipsets... and even the same mobile GPU used in their laptops. At first glance it would appear like you're getting a good deal, when in reality all you're paying for is a shiny screen.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products and their level of craftsmanship is second to none. But to say you're saving time by just buying the product shows how inexperienced you are in the Apple arena. When there are hardware problems... it is a great deal of wasted time... believe me. Unless you are fortunate enough to bump into Apple employees that are willing to bend backwards to appease you, which isn't always the case... that is... if there's even an Apple store anywhere near you.

And now Apple's laptops are COMPLETELY incapable of being upgraded... pretty much one of the large factors for making the MacBook Pro so appealing. With the Retina MBP (which is where all their laptop line is going)... the freaking parts... like the RAM... are SOLDERED TO THE MOTHERBOARD. The battery is even glued in. The SSD is proprietary, but it can be replaced provide that you go through OWC for the parts... but it requires a lot of fudging.

If you build your own... you can simply swap out parts. If you want a more powerful graphics card... you simply swap it out. If you want to upgrade your sound board... you simply install it... provided that they are supported under OS X. Repairs take two seconds and don't cost you several visits and waiting for your computer to be returned to you.

And this isn't directed at you, but I find the whole "my time is valuable and costs me money" argument to be a weak one. How often does a person change computers (desktop)? I'd say somewhere between 2-5 years depending on the individual. At most the entire process to assemble a computer and install OS/programs would take at most 1 day. (granted this doesn't take into account shipping time for online purchases or RMA time for defective hardware, but that is hard to account for with a general time estimate).

So at most 1 day every 2-5 years. Essentially nothing. Not to mention apple doesn't give you much value with their desktops. The mac pro is still high priced and not up to date. The mini has limited uses. That leaves the imac as the ideal mac desktop (in apples eyes). So not only do you have to consider the price (which is mostly reasonable for the imac, aside from the hardware being outdated) but the form factor as well (not so reasonable).

It really is a non issue. The biggest obstacle is a person deciding that it is something that they would want to do. (if they think they are capable) Which is vastly less of a concern with internet resources.
    Exactly.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So why don't apple allow Mac OS on regular hardware?

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    So why don't apple allow Mac OS on regular hardware?
    Because it's a closed system, which allows Apple more control over both the hardware and software, allowing them to deal with issues more easily while also being Nazis.

This is actually one of the perks of Apple products, especially when doing a reformat... you don't have to worry about all the drivers. The closed system also allows Apple to get the most out of their products performance-wise... unless of course your hardware is a few years old... then Apple will outright abandon you, being completely incapable of getting the latest updates/OS's... forcing you to get a new Mac if you need the latest software available. Apple loves making only several year old hardware obsolete to make way for "new tech".
    Last edited by Brandon; 10-16-2012 at 21:09.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    I guess you guys have never heard of "opportunity costs". I think you should look into it. "A day" of my life is worth something.

Secondly, I did buy an iMac for the "shiny screen". In fact, I considered just buying a display, but I got the iMac for around $1400 (tax free, thanks to a tax free weekend in my State), so for less than $500 difference I decided to just buy an iMac. I did consider what would happen if the hard drive failed ( although it has rarely happened in the computers I own or in the computers I have used over the years at work. In fact, it has only happened once in the many computers I have used). The plan is to eventually buy an SSD and a thunderbolt enclosure and use it as my boot drive. The main reason I haven't done it is because the computer runs fine without it and I would rather wait it out for prices to continue to drop. If my hard drive failed, I would not be opening up the machine.

Administrator
    And your idea of what is of value is not a generalization.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I would like to see hardware that is more on par with the current trends, so to speak. If that were the case, I MIGHT be able to accept the price differences at $300 more for a pc counterpart.

18. Likes Cybertox likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I agree with F34R, Apple should improve hardware in their computers. Apple computers have a great design but lack hardware power.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    As a future iMac buyer, I agree to the H/W part as well.
    I'd prefer faster desktop components rather than a thinner design.
    Although this comes from someone that never owned a mac.

Anyway, I plan on getting the most high-end iMac when they come out. Then I'll have a better idea of the whole thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox

Anyway, I plan on getting the most high-end iMac when they come out. Then I'll have a better idea of the whole thing.

Then you will have to spend at least 2600 Bucks.

Soldier 95B

I just bought a top of the line iMac. It's $#@!ing awesome.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    Then you will have to spend at least 2600 Bucks.
    That's all right. I'll probably spend a bit more than that. I'll get a Time Capsule and a printer with airprint as well. I expect everything together to cost around 3500.

Now that I think of it my PC cost around 2200 to build 5 years ago. Without any software in that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I just bought a top of the line iMac. It's $#@!ing awesome.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2
    I must resist..!
    Last edited by MjW; 10-17-2012 at 17:52.

Forum Sage

Carmageddon is released on iOS today and for the first day it's free! looks and plays alright on iPad 3 but i just don't like the touch interface for games. But still, free is free.

Administrator
    @ MjW... if you're buying the high end iMac... you'll be buying a desktop computer with high end "mobile" parts. And they aren't even that high end. The mobile GPUs that Apple uses are always a far cry away from what's currently available in most PC laptops made for high end work. Granted, those laptops are quite a bit thicker, but the current iMac should've had no problem using them. However... the next batch of iMacs are supposedly going to be considerably thinner... so any chance of Apple using higher end mobile GPUs in the iMac is now completely and forever out of the question. The new iMacs are also rumored to be more expensive than the current iMacs... as was the case with the Retina MacBook Pro. The price will come down eventually, but not for a while.

As for the computer you built 5 years ago... that price is irrelevant by today's standards. For a thousand bucks or so you can build yourself a PC that will utterly rape any hardware Apple currently has available. That's just how it is.

The displays on the iMacs are pretty gorgeous though, but the innards leave a LOT to be desired. I love the iMac, but I cannot justify the lack of power to price ratio this time around. Going to build a Hackintosh.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you buy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Carmageddon is released on iOS today and for the first day it's free! looks and plays alright on iPad 3 but i just don't like the touch interface for games. But still, free is free.
    LOL... downloaded right away. I used to play this game all the time on the original Bondi Blue iMac. Good times.
    Last edited by Brandon; 10-17-2012 at 20:39.

26. Likes F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    @ MjW... if you're buying the high end iMac... you'll be buying a desktop computer with high end "mobile" parts. And they aren't even that high end. The mobile GPUs that Apple uses are always a far cry away from what's currently available in most PC laptops made for high end work. Granted, those laptops are quite a bit thicker, but the current iMac should've had no problem using them. However... the next batch of iMacs are supposedly going to be considerably thinner... so the any chance of Apple using higher end mobile GPUs in the iMac is now completely and forever out of the question. The new iMacs are also rumored to be more expensive than the current iMacs... as was the case with the Retina MacBook Pro. The price will come down eventually, but not for a while.

As for the computer you built 5 years ago... that price is irrelevant by today's standards. For a thousand bucks or so you can build yourself a PC that will utterly rape any hardware Apple currently has available. That's just how it is.

The displays on the iMacs are pretty gorgeous though, but the innards leave a LOT to be desired. I love the iMac, but I cannot justify the lack of power to price ratio this time around. Going to build a Hackintosh.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you buy, though.

LOL... downloaded right away. I used to play this game all the time on the original Bondi Blue iMac. Good times.
    That's pretty much summarizing it really well.

Thread Information