View Poll Results: Will you purchase the new iPad?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

14 20.59%
  • no

34 50.00%
  • Undecided.

13 19.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 372 of 403 FirstFirst ... 362372382 ... LastLast
Results 9,276 to 9,300 of 10059
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So why don't apple allow Mac OS on regular hardware?

From the Ashes Thee Administrates

PSN ID
    BrandonJBX
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    So why don't apple allow Mac OS on regular hardware?
    Because it's a closed system, which allows Apple more control over both the hardware and software, allowing them to deal with issues more easily while also being Nazis.

This is actually one of the perks of Apple products, especially when doing a reformat... you don't have to worry about all the drivers. The closed system also allows Apple to get the most out of their products performance-wise... unless of course your hardware is a few years old... then Apple will outright abandon you, being completely incapable of getting the latest updates/OS's... forcing you to get a new Mac if you need the latest software available. Apple loves making only several year old hardware obsolete to make way for "new tech".
    Last edited by Brandon; 10-16-2012 at 21:09.

"Love the life you live, and live the life you love." ~ Bob Marley

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    I guess you guys have never heard of "opportunity costs". I think you should look into it. "A day" of my life is worth something.

Secondly, I did buy an iMac for the "shiny screen". In fact, I considered just buying a display, but I got the iMac for around $1400 (tax free, thanks to a tax free weekend in my State), so for less than $500 difference I decided to just buy an iMac. I did consider what would happen if the hard drive failed ( although it has rarely happened in the computers I own or in the computers I have used over the years at work. In fact, it has only happened once in the many computers I have used). The plan is to eventually buy an SSD and a thunderbolt enclosure and use it as my boot drive. The main reason I haven't done it is because the computer runs fine without it and I would rather wait it out for prices to continue to drop. If my hard drive failed, I would not be opening up the machine.

PSN ID
    BrandonJBX
    And your idea of what is of value is not a generalization.

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I would like to see hardware that is more on par with the current trends, so to speak. If that were the case, I MIGHT be able to accept the price differences at $300 more for a pc counterpart.

6. Likes Cybertox likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I agree with F34R, Apple should improve hardware in their computers. Apple computers have a great design but lack hardware power.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    As a future iMac buyer, I agree to the H/W part as well.
    I'd prefer faster desktop components rather than a thinner design.
    Although this comes from someone that never owned a mac.

Anyway, I plan on getting the most high-end iMac when they come out. Then I'll have a better idea of the whole thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post

Anyway, I plan on getting the most high-end iMac when they come out. Then I'll have a better idea of the whole thing.

Then you will have to spend at least 2600 Bucks.

Soldier 95B

I just bought a top of the line iMac. It's $#@!ing awesome.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    Then you will have to spend at least 2600 Bucks.
    That's all right. I'll probably spend a bit more than that. I'll get a Time Capsule and a printer with airprint as well. I expect everything together to cost around 3500.

Now that I think of it my PC cost around 2200 to build 5 years ago. Without any software in that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I just bought a top of the line iMac. It's $#@!ing awesome.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2
    I must resist..!
    Last edited by MjW; 10-17-2012 at 17:52.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Carmageddon is released on iOS today and for the first day it's free! looks and plays alright on iPad 3 but i just don't like the touch interface for games. But still, free is free.
    PC: i7-3930K | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3
    EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ | Corsair AX1200i | RoG Swift | Corsair Obsidian 800D

Watercooling: EK-Bay Spin Reservoir | EKWB Supremacy | EKWB Titan X Acetal+Nickel
    360mm + 120mm Radiators | Liang D5 pump | Primochill tubing | Barrow Fittings

500GB Black PS4

PSN ID
    BrandonJBX
    @ MjW... if you're buying the high end iMac... you'll be buying a desktop computer with high end "mobile" parts. And they aren't even that high end. The mobile GPUs that Apple uses are always a far cry away from what's currently available in most PC laptops made for high end work. Granted, those laptops are quite a bit thicker, but the current iMac should've had no problem using them. However... the next batch of iMacs are supposedly going to be considerably thinner... so any chance of Apple using higher end mobile GPUs in the iMac is now completely and forever out of the question. The new iMacs are also rumored to be more expensive than the current iMacs... as was the case with the Retina MacBook Pro. The price will come down eventually, but not for a while.

As for the computer you built 5 years ago... that price is irrelevant by today's standards. For a thousand bucks or so you can build yourself a PC that will utterly rape any hardware Apple currently has available. That's just how it is.

The displays on the iMacs are pretty gorgeous though, but the innards leave a LOT to be desired. I love the iMac, but I cannot justify the lack of power to price ratio this time around. Going to build a Hackintosh.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you buy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Carmageddon is released on iOS today and for the first day it's free! looks and plays alright on iPad 3 but i just don't like the touch interface for games. But still, free is free.
    LOL... downloaded right away. I used to play this game all the time on the original Bondi Blue iMac. Good times.
    Last edited by Brandon; 10-17-2012 at 20:39.

14. Likes F34R likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    @ MjW... if you're buying the high end iMac... you'll be buying a desktop computer with high end "mobile" parts. And they aren't even that high end. The mobile GPUs that Apple uses are always a far cry away from what's currently available in most PC laptops made for high end work. Granted, those laptops are quite a bit thicker, but the current iMac should've had no problem using them. However... the next batch of iMacs are supposedly going to be considerably thinner... so the any chance of Apple using higher end mobile GPUs in the iMac is now completely and forever out of the question. The new iMacs are also rumored to be more expensive than the current iMacs... as was the case with the Retina MacBook Pro. The price will come down eventually, but not for a while.

As for the computer you built 5 years ago... that price is irrelevant by today's standards. For a thousand bucks or so you can build yourself a PC that will utterly rape any hardware Apple currently has available. That's just how it is.

The displays on the iMacs are pretty gorgeous though, but the innards leave a LOT to be desired. I love the iMac, but I cannot justify the lack of power to price ratio this time around. Going to build a Hackintosh.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you buy, though.

LOL... downloaded right away. I used to play this game all the time on the original Bondi Blue iMac. Good times.
    That's pretty much summarizing it really well.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Man, it's his money, i'm sure he knows exactly what he is buying. I hate when people (i'm guilty of doing this as well so i'm not singling anyone out) say, "why buy X instead of Y when you can get Y for Z cheaper?" There are somethings that just feel better on a Mac or are only available on a Mac. He could buy a hackintosh but doesn't want to go through the effort. For all we know he could be a $#@!ing millionaire and a few hundred means nothing to him.

But yeah, I remember thinking how crazy the concept of Carmageddon was when i was a youngster. I bet it doesn't even phase the younger kids of today. Crazy to think how a game that was banned in so many places years ago gets released easy as anything today!

Watercooling: EK-Bay Spin Reservoir | EKWB Supremacy | EKWB Titan X Acetal+Nickel

500GB Black PS4

Soldier 95B
    Man, it's his money, i'm sure he knows exactly what he is buying. I hate when people (i'm guilty of doing this as well so i'm not singling anyone out) say, "why buy X instead of Y when you can get Y for Z cheaper?" There are somethings that just feel better on a Mac or are only available on a Mac.
    And the truth shall set you free! If I could buy my exact 27" iMac for less, I would. If you can find me an all in one computer with lightening bolt, firewire, usb, sd card, superdrive, with bluetooth mouse and low profile keyboard, with the same 27" LED screen, running Mac OSX Mountain Lion, with full warranty and support, then I would. But I have never found one, and I have no time or desire to build a computer and hack an OS onto it.

Apple products sell well because of people like me. It just works, works great, looks great and has full coverage.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 10-17-2012 at 21:18.

PSN ID
    BrandonJBX
    Man, it's his money, i'm sure he knows exactly what he is buying. I hate when people (i'm guilty of doing this as well so i'm not singling anyone out) say, "why buy X instead of Y when you can get Y for Z cheaper?" There are somethings that just feel better on a Mac or are only available on a Mac. He could buy a hackintosh but doesn't want to go through the effort. For all we know he could be a $#@!ing millionaire and a few hundred means nothing to him.

But yeah, I remember thinking how crazy the concept of Carmageddon was when i was a youngster. I bet it doesn't even phase the younger kids of today. Crazy to think how a game that was banned in so many places years ago gets released easy as anything today!
    Not telling him what to do with his money... I'm telling him what his money is getting. The iMac is a solid computer. I have one in front of me right now.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Not telling him what to do with his money... I'm telling him what his money is getting. The iMac is a solid computer. I have one in front of me right now.
    But that's what I mean. I'm sure he is fully aware of what he is getting. I doubt he will impulse buy that. Unless not everyone is like me and doesn't review the $#@! out of everything and anything (I love reading reviews. I even read reviews of things i've already bought and movies i've watched )

It's like my friend who recently bought the S3 and he is determined to make me buy that rather than the iPhone 5 "Oh but dude it does this this and this better than the iPhone and it's cheaper" ARGHHHHHHH

500GB Black PS4

PSN ID
    BrandonJBX
    But that's what I mean. I'm sure he is fully aware of what he is getting. I doubt he will impulse buy that. Unless not everyone is like me and doesn't review the $#@! out of everything and anything (I love reading reviews. I even read reviews of things i've already bought and movies i've watched )

It's like my friend who recently bought the S3 and he is determined to make me buy that rather than the iPhone 5 "Oh but dude it does this this and this better than the iPhone and it's cheaper" ARGHHHHHHH
    I know where you're coming from as the same thing pisses me off... lol.

I can't use anything but OS X for audio/video these days, so Windows isn't an option as a workstation. I use Windows for gaming, though.

On a side note, I hate Android.

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I have a disorder that requires me to get the best for the buck. I can't pay MORE for less hardware.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    I know exactly what components are in an iMac and their capabilities. And I still wanted one since early 2012.

What can I say? I'm sick of windows and building PCs isn't fun anymore. I stopped playing PC games and my video transcoding needs will be well covered by an iMac.
    I look forward to Apple's ecosystem and plan to make the most of it.

Plus I'll get it tax free.

TA-pa-TA-pa-taPAtalk

Forum Sage
    I know exactly what components are in an iMac and their capabilities. And I still wanted one since early 2012.

What can I say? I'm sick of windows and building PCs isn't fun anymore. I stopped playing PC games and my video transcoding needs will be well covered by an iMac.

TA-pa-TA-pa-taPAtalk
    Blasphemy

PSN ID
    BrandonJBX

TA-pa-TA-pa-taPAtalk
    The iMac should be more than enough for your video editing needs. I've been editing 4K video on mine and it works just fine... the new ones it should be a snap. One more week and you'll get to see the shiny new iMacs with USB 3.0 and a sleek new design and whatever other magical things they have to show us. I may just sell my current iMac and get the new one... I'll reserve building my own PCs for gaming like I always have.

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Blasphemy
    This... lol. I love building PCs... especially with all the liquid cooling and sound-reactive neon tubing and such. Good times.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Ordered my white iPhone 5 a couple of days ago. Very excited.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    IS that going to hurt Apple or Samsung more?

Thread Information