View Poll Results: Will you purchase the new iPad?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

14 20.59%
  • no

34 50.00%
  • Undecided.

13 19.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 382 of 397 FirstFirst ... 372382392 ... LastLast
Results 9,526 to 9,550 of 9913
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I've never had any problems with Boot Camp itself... as long as you stay updated with the latest drivers. I have had issues with the OS X partition randomly becoming unbootable. I've addressed this by simply re-installing OS X over the OS X partition without wiping it... just default settings. Installing it like normal just installs the OS and doesn't affect the files on the computer. Even so... it's best to keep a backup of all your things when $#@!ing around with partitions.
    What I'm saying is they have no incentive to make their drivers perform better than a basic standard (i.e. optimize them to anywhere near the level they do for OSX).

So you may not be getting all the performance the hardware is capable of under windows compared to OSX.

one example is that you are stuck using the discrete gpu on the macbook pro/retina and cannot use he integrated graphics in windows.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    What I'm saying is they have no incentive to make their drivers perform better than a basic standard (i.e. optimize them to anywhere near the level they do for OSX).

So you may not be getting all the performance the hardware is capable of under windows compared to OSX.

one example is that you are stuck using the discrete gpu on the macbook pro/retina and cannot use he integrated graphics in windows.
    It's just an Intel board. Apple didn't make the motherboard, the onboard HD4000 or the discrete GPU. All the parts in the laptops have drivers for them Windows side. But Windows will never work as fluidly as the hardware/software marriage that is Apple and OS X... because that's Apple's philosophy. It just works right out of the box. That isn't a fault with Apple, that is the problem with Windows itself. There are a trillion hardware combinations and a trillion drivers for said combinations. You're not going to get 100% no matter what you do. And they do try and give you a decent experience since Apple provides their own drivers to work with the trackpad ... for instance... or some of the other buttons that wouldn't otherwise work without drivers. At least Apple lets you download all the basic drivers you need to run the thing.

I'm not saying it's the best, but Apple isn't trying to condemn you for using Windows. You already bought their $1000+ dollar machine, they couldn't care less what you do with it... you already gave them the money. The fact is... they give you the option in the stock OS to use Boot Camp. If they didn't want you to use Windows, they wouldn't give you the option.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    It's just an Intel board. Apple didn't make the motherboard, the onboard HD4000 or the discrete GPU. All the parts in the laptops have drivers for them Windows side.
    And that is fine, for a desktop. But due to the nature of a laptop and the additional drivers the extra hardware requires, apple has to provide certain drivers themselves for everything to work properly.

But Windows will never work as fluidly as the hardware/software marriage that is Apple and OS X... because that's Apple's philosophy. It just works right out of the box. That isn't a fault with Apple, that is the problem with Windows itself. There are a trillion hardware combinations and a trillion drivers for said combinations. You're not going to get 100% no matter what you do.
    Perhaps, but other hardware vendors have no motive to limit driver performance or not do the best job they can. Apple does have ulterior motives.

And they do try and give you a decent experience since Apple provides their own drivers to work with the trackpad ... for instance... or some of the other buttons that wouldn't otherwise work without drivers. At least Apple lets you download all the basic drivers you need to run the thing.
    They don't exactly have a choice. What good would bootcamp be if they didn't put in usable trackpad drivers (since that is the main input method for people on a laptop) ?

I'm not saying it's the best, but Apple isn't trying to condemn you for using Windows. You already bought their $1000+ dollar machine, they couldn't care less what you do with it... you already gave them the money. The fact is... they give you the option in the stock OS to use Boot Camp. If they didn't want you to use Windows, they wouldn't give you the option.
    Except that their entire strategy hinged on that ability.

A major reason for their switch to intel processors several years ago was because of this. By switching to intel they made their cpu compatible with windows. Which allowed bootcamp to happen.

What was the point of all of this?

In that time software compatibility was a concern for OSX. So what better fallback could apple offer to a potential customer than windows itself?

Having that ability went a long way to win over consumers by giving them that fallback option, even if they never used it.

I'm pretty sure that was a major factor in the increase in mac sales in those early intel days.

Administrator
    And that is fine, for a desktop. But due to the nature of a laptop and the additional drivers the extra hardware requires, apple has to provide certain drivers themselves for everything to work properly.
    Yes, but I run into the same issue when I build PCs.

Perhaps, but other hardware vendors have no motive to limit driver performance or not do the best job they can. Apple does have ulterior motives.
    First of all, you're assuming they have negative ulterior motives… like they're out to get their customers for using Windows. That just sounds absurd. Hell, I know some people that remove OS X entirely and just run Linux on it. Either way, Apple made a profit.

Secondly, the drivers hardware-side for Windows… the ones that Apple doesn't provide… are from third-party hardware vendors. Why would non-Apple hardware vendors not support drivers just because they happen to be used inside Mac systems? That doesn't even make sense.

They don't exactly have a choice. What good would bootcamp be if they didn't put in usable trackpad drivers (since that is the main input method for people on a laptop) ?
    They do have a choice… the choice to remove Boot Camp if they didn't want anyone using Windows… although there are other utilities besides Boot Camp that allow installing and booting Windows on a Mac.

Except that their entire strategy hinged on that ability.

A major reason for their switch to intel processors several years ago was because of this. By switching to intel they made their cpu compatible with windows. Which allowed bootcamp to happen.

What was the point of all of this?

In that time software compatibility was a concern for OSX. So what better fallback could apple offer to a potential customer than windows itself?

Having that ability went a long way to win over consumers by giving them that fallback option, even if they never used it.

I'm pretty sure that was a major factor in the increase in mac sales in those early intel days.
    Yes that is true and I agree with you. That was probably their biggest reason for going Intel. But Apple and Microsoft aren't at each other's throats as much as they'd like us to believe. They actually do work together to make the compatibility between the two more harmonious. Just like Apple makes Windows accessible via Boot Camp, Microsoft makes Microsoft Office for OS X. It's not smart business sense to just horde your product and not let anyone have it… not when they can make more money.

Like you said… Boot Camp probably sold more Macs because of it… and Microsoft sold more software because of Office for Mac and Boot Camp. At the heart of it all, they are in this for money. If making Windows accessible via Boot Camp makes them more money, there's no reason they should make it a $#@!ty experience for the consumer. I've run into all the same driver issues when building PCs… but I eventually get it worked out… but I honestly doubt they're out to make Boot Camp a $#@!ty experience for the users. And just the other day they updated Boot Camp for Windows 8 support and 3 TB+ Windows partitions.

Or I just have no idea what I'm talking about. Either way is possible.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Are you going to game on it?
    Definitely. Right now, I've played Diablo III and Starcraft II. It's amazing on the screen.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Definitely. Right now, I've played Diablo III and Starcraft II. It's amazing on the screen.
    Yes, the screen is ridiculous. I remember gaming on my old one a couple years ago. A similar monitor will probably cost you 600 bucks.

Forum Sage
    Yes, but I run into the same issue when I build PCs.

First of all, you're assuming they have negative ulterior motives… like they're out to get their customers for using Windows. That just sounds absurd. Hell, I know some people that remove OS X entirely and just run Linux on it. Either way, Apple made a profit.

Secondly, the drivers hardware-side for Windows… the ones that Apple doesn't provide… are from third-party hardware vendors. Why would non-Apple hardware vendors not support drivers just because they happen to be used inside Mac systems? That doesn't even make sense.

They do have a choice… the choice to remove Boot Camp if they didn't want anyone using Windows… although there are other utilities besides Boot Camp that allow installing and booting Windows on a Mac.

Yes that is true and I agree with you. That was probably their biggest reason for going Intel. But Apple and Microsoft aren't at each other's throats as much as they'd like us to believe. They actually do work together to make the compatibility between the two more harmonious. Just like Apple makes Windows accessible via Boot Camp, Microsoft makes Microsoft Office for OS X. It's not smart business sense to just horde your product and not let anyone have it… not when they can make more money.

Like you said… Boot Camp probably sold more Macs because of it… and Microsoft sold more software because of Office for Mac and Boot Camp. At the heart of it all, they are in this for money. If making Windows accessible via Boot Camp makes them more money, there's no reason they should make it a $#@!ty experience for the consumer. I've run into all the same driver issues when building PCs… but I eventually get it worked out… but I honestly doubt they're out to make Boot Camp a $#@!ty experience for the users. And just the other day they updated Boot Camp for Windows 8 support and 3 TB+ Windows partitions.

Or I just have no idea what I'm talking about. Either way is possible.
    For some reason both of my replies failed to be submitted, so I'm going to take that as a sign to end this particular discussion.

Right. But if the current version suffices for those games and you don't expect to play any games that may be limited by the 660, does it make sense to spend ~$600 more on hardware that you may not make use of?

Administrator
    Right. But if the current version suffices for those games and you don't expect to play any games that may be limited by the 660, does it make sense to spend ~$600 more on hardware that you may not make use of?
    That doesn't even make any sense. The base configuration for the 27" iMac he got has the GPU he's referring to. He's not paying 600 more for anything. I don't even know where you got 600 from. From thin air, I'd imagine.

Forum Sage
    That doesn't even make any sense. The base configuration for the 27" iMac he got has the GPU he's referring to. He's not paying 600 more for anything. I don't even know where you got 600 from. From thin air, I'd imagine.
    Um, his post:

It'll run me about $600 more than the one I have now. So, I just have to sell a big toe or something; instead of a kidney. The Mac Pro doesn't come with a 27" amazing quality display.

I'll get the iPad mini when it has specs equal to, or beyond the iPad 4.

Yeah, I can't wait. Learning a new OS is beginning to get awesome. My son is super happy because they've been using Mac at school for a while now, and he's 4 months into a game that his group has been making in Industrial Tech. He can't wait to start doing it at home.
    This is what he bought:

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD095LL/A

This is what he is going for: (with the 680 upgrade, 3TB fusion drive upgrade and 3.4GHz i7 upgrade) $2749

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD096LL/A

So it actually seems like it will be more than $600 more.

And the 27 inch imac comes with the 660m or 675 mx standard based on the sky, not the 680M.

Administrator
    I've had a cold for three days and my reading comprehension is apparently in the toilet.

Honestly, if I firmly made the decision to spend that much on an iMac, I would've done the same thing. Since you can't manually upgrade the GPU without frustration, I would've done the same thing to "future-proof" it. I don't see what difference it makes that he got the 680.

Forum Sage
    I've had a cold for three days and my reading comprehension is apparently in the toilet.

Honestly, if I firmly made the decision to spend that much on an iMac, I would've done the same thing. Since you can't manually upgrade the GPU without frustration, I would've done the same thing to "future-proof" it. I don't see what difference it makes that he got the 680.
    Because the performance improvement from a 675mx to a 680m isn't worth $150.

Because at this level os spending the Mac pro is starting to make more sense. ( or at least waiting for the haswell update in the summer, gpu refresh in the fall).

And mostly because based on F34R's previous statements he is a value oriented guy. Dropping $2749 on an imac (plus the cost of 32GB of RAM) is the antithesis of a value buy. (not to mention the MBP as well in addition to the Asus he bought a while ago).

Hell you could build a pretty good hackintosh for that kind of money and have change left over.

Decisions like these should be well though out. This course of action seems impulsive to me.

Administrator
    Because the performance improvement from a 675mx to a 680m isn't worth $150.

Because at this level os spending the Mac pro is starting to make more sense. ( or at least waiting for the haswell update in the summer, gpu refresh in the fall).

And mostly because based on F34R's previous statements he is a value oriented guy. Dropping $2749 on an imac (plus the cost of 32GB of RAM) is the antithesis of a value buy. (not to mention the MBP as well in addition to the Asus he bought a while ago).

Hell you could build a pretty good hackintosh for that kind of money and have change left over.

Decisions like these should be well though out. This course of action seems impulsive to me.
    I agree regarding the money bit, but Hackintoshes are a pain in the ass and are not anywhere near an easy an experience as just simply owning a Mac. My god the driver issues and editing kext files to work with GPUs and praying that an OS update doesn't break your drivers. It's hell. Yes it is cheaper, but it's not worth it if you're trying to put it together yourself. There are some websites that sell pre-built Hackintoshes, which I think are a great deal... and those tend to be less "breaky" with drivers than trying to put your own hardware together to see how it works with OS X... even with hardware lists given out... each combination has their own flaws. And there a lot of GPUs that simply won't work in a Hackintosh build because no drivers exist for them in any form... and if a GPU works right now... it may not with an OS update. So every time you get an update... there's fear... so you have to back up your whole computer first before updating in case you need to roll back. It's just frustrating, lol.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cage View Post
    it's already off though
    Hmm. You are running the latest version of iOS right? Are you jailbroken? Might be an ISP issue, perhaps they are having DNS issues and packets are lost. How does downloading files from other places work?

-----

Regarding Bootcamp, it does work very well. Plenty of Mac (hardcore) gamers use Bootcamp and Windows to play their games even if there's an OS X version available because they claim the drivers for some the graphics cards actually perform better under Windows. John Siracusa from Ars Technica fame is a serious gamer and he uses Bootcamp on his Mac Pro to game for example.

All Bootcamp does is partition your drive and emulate BIOS through EFI. It's nothing special to it, when you are in Windows you use drivers written for Windows meaning some drivers, like graphics cards, may or may not, perform better than they do on OS X due to AMD/Nvidia having optimized them better. Apple provides some drivers for the trackpad and whatnot but it's nothing low-level.

There's a lot of misconception about what Bootcamp actually does, it's actually a quite cool solution and worth reading up on.

As for Apple going with Intel rather than stay on PPC. That had very little to do with them wanting people to be able to run Windows on a Mac, although it is a nice bonus, and more about IBM being unable to deliver low energy chips that performed better than Intel did on x86. This was a huge problem for Apple as they noticed the trend was clear that users wanted portable Mac's more than desktops in the coming years and IBM just couldn't deliver a CPU that was cool and energy efficient enough to run on a Notebook.
    Other opinions are available.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Hmm. You are running the latest version of iOS right? Are you jailbroken? Might be an ISP issue, perhaps they are having DNS issues and packets are lost. How does downloading files from other places work?

-----

Regarding Bootcamp, it does work very well. Plenty of Mac (hardcore) gamers use Bootcamp and Windows to play their games even if there's an OS X version available because they claim the drivers for some the graphics cards actually perform better under Windows. John Siracusa from Ars Technica fame is a serious gamer and he uses Bootcamp on his Mac Pro to game for example.

All Bootcamp does is partition your drive and emulate BIOS through EFI. It's nothing special to it, when you are in Windows you use drivers written for Windows meaning some drivers, like graphics cards, may or may not, perform better than they do on OS X due to AMD/Nvidia having optimized them better. Apple provides some drivers for the trackpad and whatnot but it's nothing low-level.

There's a lot of misconception about what Bootcamp actually does, it's actually a quite cool solution and worth reading up on.

As for Apple going with Intel rather than stay on PPC. That had very little to do with them wanting people to be able to run Windows on a Mac, although it is a nice bonus, and more about IBM being unable to deliver low energy chips that performed better than Intel did on x86. This was a huge problem for Apple as they noticed the trend was clear that users wanted portable Mac's more than desktops in the coming years and IBM just couldn't deliver a CPU that was cool and energy efficient enough to run on a Notebook.
    Not jailbroken (it's clean never did it) the latest version of iOS is installed, about the other devices the downloads are fine and no problem (my android for example)

not sure if it's the ISP (could be) , everything downloads fine except the app store which loads slow, i can download sometimes but it keeps saying "unable to download" and "retry" option etc
    Last edited by The Cage; 03-19-2013 at 12:37.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Anybody knows how to get thumbnails for mkv files in mountain lion?

I have VLC as the default player and use column view if it helps any.

Mac "ass save-ry" app of the day: XtraFinder will make each column adjust to the width of the filename automatically. Yay!
    Last edited by MjW; 03-19-2013 at 13:40.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Icaros works well for windows OS not much use to you I know.
    http://shark007.net/tools.html

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I took the two systems back this morning. I'll be going to the apple store and purchasing the iMac I want. Loaded. Can't wait.

Ultimate Veteran
    Not jailbroken (it's clean never did it) the latest version of iOS is installed, about the other devices the downloads are fine and no problem (my android for example)

not sure if it's the ISP (could be) , everything downloads fine except the app store which loads slow, i can download sometimes but it keeps saying "unable to download" and "retry" option etc
    Apple just released iOS 6.1.3, try updating and see if that fixes it. Who the hell knows, maybe you have a corrupt Plist somewhere or something.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Mac "ass save-ry" app of the day: XtraFinder will make each column adjust to the width of the filename automatically. Yay!
    Didn't know about that one, thanks. Another goodie is FinderSize: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/302...sition-scripts

Let's you make a window the size and position you want and save that size... so all you have to do is push a button in any Finder window and it'll make it that size and position. it's also free.

Master Poster
    Apple just released iOS 6.1.3, try updating and see if that fixes it. Who the hell knows, maybe you have a corrupt Plist somewhere or something.
    ok thanks mate, i'll dl it, it's not showing for me yet but i hope it fixes it

cheerz

Administrator
    ok thanks mate, i'll dl it, it's not showing for me yet but i hope it fixes it

cheerz
    Just note that if you intend on jailbreaking, you can no longer do so if you update to 6.1.3. If you don't, then by all means update. Let us know how it goes.

Master Poster
    Just note that if you intend on jailbreaking, you can no longer do so if you update to 6.1.3. If you don't, then by all means update. Let us know how it goes.
    i don't plan to jailbreak so i'll be ok

and i'll dl it once it shows up

Ultimate Veteran
    i don't plan to jailbreak so i'll be ok

and i'll dl it once it shows up
    If it's still not showing up something is definitely wrong. If you still haven't been able to download it, try reseting your network settings by opening the Settings App ---> General --> Reset and tapping Reset Network Settings. If that still doesn't do the trick, I'd suggest backing up your devices and restoring them via iTunes.

Master Poster
    If it's still not showing up something is definitely wrong. If you still haven't been able to download it, try reseting your network settings by opening the Settings App ---> General --> Reset and tapping Reset Network Settings. If that still doesn't do the trick, I'd suggest backing up your devices and restoring them via iTunes.
    downloading it now

Edit: ok i installed it and it seems to be fixed now...

thanks everyone!
    Last edited by The Cage; 03-20-2013 at 11:13.

Ultimate Veteran
    downloading it now

Edit: ok i installed it and it seems to be fixed now...

thanks everyone!
    Good to hear. Very odd issue.

Thread Information