View Poll Results: Will you purchase the new iPad?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

14 20.59%
  • no

34 50.00%
  • Undecided.

13 19.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 386 of 403 FirstFirst ... 376386396 ... LastLast
Results 9,626 to 9,650 of 10059
    Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Haven't had any issues with the App Store. Are you using something like OpenDNS? I know that can cause some issues due to the CDN not being able to properly direct you to the closest server.
    Nope, not using OpenDNS or anything like that

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cage View Post
    Nope, not using OpenDNS or anything like that
    Some say turning off Genius for apps help. Try that if you don't use it. http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/28/app-s...-sluggishness/
    Other opinions are available.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Goodness I love this apple!! lol

Airplay my iPad/iPhone to my iMac, and record the footage... I love it.

I'm going to return this iMac tomorrow and get the highest config (minus adding the ram via apple).

Here is what it is:

• 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    • 8GB (two 4GB) memory
    • 1TB hard drive
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB

Here is what it will be:

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB (will add 32GB RAM myself)

3TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
    Time to sell that second kidney aswell

Administrator

I'm going to return this iMac tomorrow and get the highest config (minus adding the ram via apple).

Here is what it is:

• 8GB (two 4GB) memory
    • 1TB hard drive

Here is what it will be:

3TB Fusion Drive
    And how much is that going to run you? If you're going to go bonkers you might as well wait for the new Mac Pro this year.
    "Love the life you live, and live the life you love." ~ Bob Marley

Ultimate Veteran
    Who else is waiting for a Retina iPad Mini? I got accepted a job offer this week starting next month and I'm going to upgrade my iPad 2 as a reward to myself. But I'm going to wait for the Retina Mini. Can't wait.
    Other opinions are available.

Administrator
    Who else is waiting for a Retina iPad Mini? I got accepted a job offer this week starting next month and I'm going to upgrade my iPad 2 as a reward to myself. But I'm going to wait for the Retina Mini. Can't wait.
    I'm getting a Retina Mini for work when it's released.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

Here is what it is:

• 8GB (two 4GB) memory
    • 1TB hard drive

Here is what it will be:

3TB Fusion Drive
    Go for it man. I got the same. Fastest configuration possible minus the RAM.

It is ridiculously fast. I have it converting 1080p movies on the fly and stream to my iphone through air video without a sweat.

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Updator
    I'll be getting one as soon as it is released. Was thinking about the mini when it was released but I really like the retina display. I've already got the money ready and waiting.
    I can read your thoughts.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    And how much is that going to run you? If you're going to go bonkers you might as well wait for the new Mac Pro this year.
    It'll run me about $600 more than the one I have now. So, I just have to sell a big toe or something; instead of a kidney. The Mac Pro doesn't come with a 27" amazing quality display.
    I'll get the iPad mini when it has specs equal to, or beyond the iPad 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Go for it man. I got the same. Fastest configuration possible minus the RAM.

It is ridiculously fast. I have it converting 1080p movies on the fly and stream to my iphone through air video without a sweat.
    Yeah, I can't wait. Learning a new OS is beginning to get awesome. My son is super happy because they've been using Mac at school for a while now, and he's 4 months into a game that his group has been making in Industrial Tech. He can't wait to start doing it at home.

Administrator
    The Mac Pro doesn't come with a 27" amazing quality display.
    No, it does not.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    No, it does not.
    That's probably the only reason really for me not to consider it.

Forum Sage

Here is what it is:

• 8GB (two 4GB) memory
    • 1TB hard drive

Here is what it will be:

3TB Fusion Drive
    Are you going to game on it?

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Hey guys, what's bootcamp gaming like? I've always been curious. Any hiccups etc that you would not otherwise see on a native PC/Windows platform?

Not that I'm close to getting an iMAc or anything. Just something that I'd consider.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Hey guys, what's bootcamp gaming like? I've always been curious. Any hiccups etc that you would not otherwise see on a native PC/Windows platform?

Not that I'm close to getting an iMAc or anything. Just something that I'd consider.
    There isn't any difference between gaming on a Mac via Boot Camp or gaming on a PC with similar specs. I've never had any hiccups and sometimes games play better on the Boot Camp side than they do on the Mac side.

Also Apple provides all the drivers you need prior to installing Windows to Boot Camp with a pre-download of them.

Forum Sage

Better than virtual machine performance but bootcamp has its own issues.

Remember apple has little incentive to give you anything more than a basic functional experience.

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    There isn't any difference between gaming on a Mac via Boot Camp or gaming on a PC with similar specs. I've never had any hiccups and sometimes games play better on the Boot Camp side than they do on the Mac side.

Also Apple provides all the drivers you need prior to installing Windows to Boot Camp with a pre-download of them.
    Cool.

So Bootcamp is something that is officially supported by Apple then? Might look into it by the time I need a new PC/Laptop.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Administrator
    Cool.

So Bootcamp is something that is officially supported by Apple then? Might look into it by the time I need a new PC/Laptop.
    Yes... Boot Camp comes with all new Macs. It's default Apple software. The latest version that just came out a day or two ago allows the installation of Windows 8... not that you would want to... but it supports it now.

Boot Camp will partition your drive for you, allow you to download the appropriate drivers, then reboot the computer to allow you to install Windows (they don't provide that... you have to buy it, obviously).

After you're done installing Windows, you can hold the option key at startup to either choose to boot OS X or Windows.

Master Poster
    Some say turning off Genius for apps help. Try that if you don't use it. http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/28/app-s...-sluggishness/
    it's already off though

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Better than virtual machine performance but bootcamp has its own issues.

Remember apple has little incentive to give you anything more than a basic functional experience.
    I've never had any problems with Boot Camp itself... as long as you stay updated with the latest drivers. I have had issues with the OS X partition randomly becoming unbootable. I've addressed this by simply re-installing OS X over the OS X partition without wiping it... just default settings. Installing it like normal just installs the OS and doesn't affect the files on the computer. Even so... it's best to keep a backup of all your things when $#@!ing around with partitions.

Forum Sage
    I've never had any problems with Boot Camp itself... as long as you stay updated with the latest drivers. I have had issues with the OS X partition randomly becoming unbootable. I've addressed this by simply re-installing OS X over the OS X partition without wiping it... just default settings. Installing it like normal just installs the OS and doesn't affect the files on the computer. Even so... it's best to keep a backup of all your things when $#@!ing around with partitions.
    What I'm saying is they have no incentive to make their drivers perform better than a basic standard (i.e. optimize them to anywhere near the level they do for OSX).

So you may not be getting all the performance the hardware is capable of under windows compared to OSX.

one example is that you are stuck using the discrete gpu on the macbook pro/retina and cannot use he integrated graphics in windows.

Administrator
    What I'm saying is they have no incentive to make their drivers perform better than a basic standard (i.e. optimize them to anywhere near the level they do for OSX).

So you may not be getting all the performance the hardware is capable of under windows compared to OSX.

one example is that you are stuck using the discrete gpu on the macbook pro/retina and cannot use he integrated graphics in windows.
    It's just an Intel board. Apple didn't make the motherboard, the onboard HD4000 or the discrete GPU. All the parts in the laptops have drivers for them Windows side. But Windows will never work as fluidly as the hardware/software marriage that is Apple and OS X... because that's Apple's philosophy. It just works right out of the box. That isn't a fault with Apple, that is the problem with Windows itself. There are a trillion hardware combinations and a trillion drivers for said combinations. You're not going to get 100% no matter what you do. And they do try and give you a decent experience since Apple provides their own drivers to work with the trackpad ... for instance... or some of the other buttons that wouldn't otherwise work without drivers. At least Apple lets you download all the basic drivers you need to run the thing.

I'm not saying it's the best, but Apple isn't trying to condemn you for using Windows. You already bought their $1000+ dollar machine, they couldn't care less what you do with it... you already gave them the money. The fact is... they give you the option in the stock OS to use Boot Camp. If they didn't want you to use Windows, they wouldn't give you the option.

Forum Sage
    It's just an Intel board. Apple didn't make the motherboard, the onboard HD4000 or the discrete GPU. All the parts in the laptops have drivers for them Windows side.
    And that is fine, for a desktop. But due to the nature of a laptop and the additional drivers the extra hardware requires, apple has to provide certain drivers themselves for everything to work properly.

But Windows will never work as fluidly as the hardware/software marriage that is Apple and OS X... because that's Apple's philosophy. It just works right out of the box. That isn't a fault with Apple, that is the problem with Windows itself. There are a trillion hardware combinations and a trillion drivers for said combinations. You're not going to get 100% no matter what you do.
    Perhaps, but other hardware vendors have no motive to limit driver performance or not do the best job they can. Apple does have ulterior motives.

And they do try and give you a decent experience since Apple provides their own drivers to work with the trackpad ... for instance... or some of the other buttons that wouldn't otherwise work without drivers. At least Apple lets you download all the basic drivers you need to run the thing.
    They don't exactly have a choice. What good would bootcamp be if they didn't put in usable trackpad drivers (since that is the main input method for people on a laptop) ?

I'm not saying it's the best, but Apple isn't trying to condemn you for using Windows. You already bought their $1000+ dollar machine, they couldn't care less what you do with it... you already gave them the money. The fact is... they give you the option in the stock OS to use Boot Camp. If they didn't want you to use Windows, they wouldn't give you the option.
    Except that their entire strategy hinged on that ability.

A major reason for their switch to intel processors several years ago was because of this. By switching to intel they made their cpu compatible with windows. Which allowed bootcamp to happen.

What was the point of all of this?

In that time software compatibility was a concern for OSX. So what better fallback could apple offer to a potential customer than windows itself?

Having that ability went a long way to win over consumers by giving them that fallback option, even if they never used it.

I'm pretty sure that was a major factor in the increase in mac sales in those early intel days.

Administrator
    And that is fine, for a desktop. But due to the nature of a laptop and the additional drivers the extra hardware requires, apple has to provide certain drivers themselves for everything to work properly.
    Yes, but I run into the same issue when I build PCs.

Perhaps, but other hardware vendors have no motive to limit driver performance or not do the best job they can. Apple does have ulterior motives.
    First of all, you're assuming they have negative ulterior motives… like they're out to get their customers for using Windows. That just sounds absurd. Hell, I know some people that remove OS X entirely and just run Linux on it. Either way, Apple made a profit.

Secondly, the drivers hardware-side for Windows… the ones that Apple doesn't provide… are from third-party hardware vendors. Why would non-Apple hardware vendors not support drivers just because they happen to be used inside Mac systems? That doesn't even make sense.

They don't exactly have a choice. What good would bootcamp be if they didn't put in usable trackpad drivers (since that is the main input method for people on a laptop) ?
    They do have a choice… the choice to remove Boot Camp if they didn't want anyone using Windows… although there are other utilities besides Boot Camp that allow installing and booting Windows on a Mac.

Except that their entire strategy hinged on that ability.

A major reason for their switch to intel processors several years ago was because of this. By switching to intel they made their cpu compatible with windows. Which allowed bootcamp to happen.

What was the point of all of this?

In that time software compatibility was a concern for OSX. So what better fallback could apple offer to a potential customer than windows itself?

Having that ability went a long way to win over consumers by giving them that fallback option, even if they never used it.

I'm pretty sure that was a major factor in the increase in mac sales in those early intel days.
    Yes that is true and I agree with you. That was probably their biggest reason for going Intel. But Apple and Microsoft aren't at each other's throats as much as they'd like us to believe. They actually do work together to make the compatibility between the two more harmonious. Just like Apple makes Windows accessible via Boot Camp, Microsoft makes Microsoft Office for OS X. It's not smart business sense to just horde your product and not let anyone have it… not when they can make more money.

Like you said… Boot Camp probably sold more Macs because of it… and Microsoft sold more software because of Office for Mac and Boot Camp. At the heart of it all, they are in this for money. If making Windows accessible via Boot Camp makes them more money, there's no reason they should make it a $#@!ty experience for the consumer. I've run into all the same driver issues when building PCs… but I eventually get it worked out… but I honestly doubt they're out to make Boot Camp a $#@!ty experience for the users. And just the other day they updated Boot Camp for Windows 8 support and 3 TB+ Windows partitions.

Or I just have no idea what I'm talking about. Either way is possible.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Are you going to game on it?
    Definitely. Right now, I've played Diablo III and Starcraft II. It's amazing on the screen.

Administrator
    Definitely. Right now, I've played Diablo III and Starcraft II. It's amazing on the screen.
    Yes, the screen is ridiculous. I remember gaming on my old one a couple years ago. A similar monitor will probably cost you 600 bucks.

Thread Information