Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Paddy McCourt
    gster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    PSN ID
    thekhanster4444
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    329 (0 Banked)

    Formatting External Hard Drive 1TB To FAT32

    Anyone done this before? How long did it take you?

    I started formatting 10 minutes ago, just hit 1%



  2. #2
    Superior Member
    HD_GAMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    UK West Midlands
    Age
    22
    Posts
    704
    Rep Power
    46
    Points
    1,087 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by gster View Post
    Anyone done this before? How long did it take you?

    I started formatting 10 minutes ago, just hit 1%
    have you got msn? i can send you something that i used only takes a few mins too
    

  3. #3
    Master Sage
    Firefox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,371
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    10,524 (0 Banked)
    Items Firefox LogoBruce LeeArsenal
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Is there a specific reason you need it to be in FAT32? The maximum file size is 4 gb which doesn't suit my backups at all. Personally I like HFS+.

  4. #4
    Earthbound
    dc89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Taking my seat at the Fancy Pets Council
    Age
    25
    Posts
    15,674
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    2,210 (72 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The only reason for FAT 32 as far as i can see is for a PS3. Erm.. Swiss Knife is good software for reformatting.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    The PS3 can't use NTFS, only FAT32?
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  6. #6
    Paddy McCourt
    gster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    PSN ID
    thekhanster4444
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    329 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    The PS3 can't use NTFS, only FAT32?

    yes lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Is there a specific reason you need it to be in FAT32? The maximum file size is 4 gb which doesn't suit my backups at all. Personally I like HFS+.
    Thats not a problem for me. The only files i have bigger than 4GB are .mkv HD videos which i just split using mkvmerge.



  7. #7
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,777
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    61,809 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Never tried a 1TB but my old 500GB took 5 seconds using fat32 format

  8. #8
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by gster View Post
    yes lol
    Honestly, it's kind of shocking that any new technology would use such an old file system. Especially the PS3 having the potential to store such large files likes movies etc.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  9. #9
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,754
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    111,409 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    Honestly, it's kind of shocking that any new technology would use such an old file system. Especially the PS3 having the potential to store such large files likes movies etc.
    Yea, what's worse is that, there are also new techs out there that don't even have the option to use any third-party HDD you put in them. Go figure.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Yea, what's worse is that, there are also new techs out there that don't even have the option to use any third-party HDD you put in them. Go figure.
    Seriously? This is where you want to take my comment? Don't be so sensitive man!
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  11. #11
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,754
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    111,409 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    Seriously? This is where you want to take my comment? Don't be so sensitive man!
    I'm not taking your comments anywhere. I'm saying that you have to look at it from a larger perspective, most other consoles don't even have support for HDD and the ones that do, no third-party support.

    Surely, FAT32 does not have a huge disadvantage...I've heard that NTFS only does a few things better, such as bigger file sizes, security (which PS3 doesn't need) and there was something else about less junk or something. Anyway, nothing to make a big deal about.

    Look back at your comment and realize how big of a deal you're making, using words like "shocking" and implying that this file system is ancient. You're not inputting a lot of other factors, that I will write below.

    First, you forget to mention, if I recall correctly, that it was patented by MS...so either you pay them money or you get sued.

    Now, are you going to come out and tell us that it's shocking that PS3 never had Windows XP OS but the ancient Linux?

    File size is a limitation but so is cost. The fact that they let us change to any third-party HDDs on this system and that it's standard, is far superior than the rest of consoles out there.

    Nothing shocking about that.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm not taking your comments anywhere. I'm saying that you have to look at it from a larger perspective, most other consoles don't even have support for HDD and the ones that do, no third-party support.
    Aren't there only 2 other consoles? And, only one of those with a hard drive? I was talking about the file system itself, not the drive support. I just never really hear of any new stuff using fat32, that's all.

    Surely, FAT32 does not have a huge disadvantage...I've heard that NTFS only does a few things better, such as bigger file sizes, security (which PS3 doesn't need) and there was something else about less junk or something. Anyway, nothing to make a big deal about.
    There are quite a few things that make NTFS better, but not sure how many of them are windows specific.

    Look back at your comment and realize how big of a deal you're making, using words like "shocking" and implying that this file system is ancient. You're not inputting a lot of other factors, that I will write below.
    The file system is pretty old, and the FAT file system in general is 30 years old.

    First, you forget to mention, if I recall correctly, that it was patented by MS...so either you pay them money or you get sued.
    Because I didn't know.

    Now, are you going to come out and tell us that it's shocking that PS3 never had Windows XP OS but the ancient Linux?
    Nope. I like Linux. You are reading far to much into this......

    File size is a limitation but so is cost. The fact that they let us change to any third-party HDDs on this system and that it's standard, is far superior than the rest of consoles out there.
    You can say it, instead of saying "the other consoles out there", just say "the Xbox 360". Does the Wii have factory support for a hard drive yet?

    Aren't there other file systems in use that are better than Fat32? I know Linux/UNIX support quite a few non Microsoft branded file systems.

    Maybe you ought to calm down and just argue your points rather than take the "gotta protect the PS3 from this fanboy" approach.

    I wasn't attacking your console, I don't care, I was just surprised.... that's all.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  13. #13
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,754
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    111,409 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I am pretty calm. Out of two of us, only one has not used exclamation marks to prove a point.

    I don't understand why you were so shocked when you don't care?

    Anyway, it seems that you were just writing that comment for the heck of it, apparently.

    Moving along.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I am pretty calm. Out of two of us, only one has not used exclamation marks to prove a point.
    Yeah, once, when I said "don't be so sensitive", because I could tell you were treating my comment like an attack on the PS3 from a console fanboy, which it wasn't.

    I don't understand why you were so shocked when you don't care?
    It caught me by surprise, I had no idea much of anything was still making use of FAT32, much less the PS3. Notice in my post, I didn't go on and on and on about it, it was short and simple.

    Anyway, it seems that you were just writing that comment for the heck of it, apparently.
    Yeah, thinking maybe someone would explain the logic. I will try to be a little more careful with my choice of words next time.

    Moving along.
    Okie dokie.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  15. #15
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,754
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    111,409 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    Yeah, once, when I said "don't be so sensitive", because I could tell you were treating my comment like an attack on the PS3 from a console fanboy, which it wasn't.
    Hey, you're still here.

    Firstly, I wasn't treating it like it was an attack from a fanboy...that's your own assumption. All I said was that, there are consoles that don't even let you use 3rd party HDDs...that's all I said. The point was that it gets much worse, NTFS vs FAT32 is a small issue.

    From the looks of it, you're the one being sensitive here because you keep coming back for more.

    It caught me by surprise, I had no idea much of anything was still making use of FAT32, much less the PS3.
    Yes, you are correct. You don't have any idea. Most flash drives come with FAT32 file system.
    Notice in my post, I didn't go on and on and on about it, it was short and simple.
    Because you didn't know much about the subject.

    Yeah, thinking maybe someone would explain the logic. I will try to be a little more careful with my choice of words next time.
    Thank you. Better than being shocked without much reason, right?

  16. #16
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,777
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    61,809 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    NTFS isnt licensed, Linux OS supports it you can even get the PS3 versions of linux to use NTFS formatted hard drives.

  17. #17
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Firstly, I wasn't treating it like it was an attack from a fanboy...that's your own assumption. All I said was that, there are consoles that don't even let you use 3rd party HDDs...that's all I said. The point was that it gets much worse, NTFS vs FAT32 is a small issue.
    Yeah, but wouldn't it just be "console", and not "consoles"? Isn't there only ONE console manufacturer that uses hard drives that are not third party? You brought up something that was not related to the topic, we were talking about file systems, and you attacked the competition about something else. That's a common defense mechanism.

    From the looks of it, you're the one being sensitive here because you keep coming back for more.
    Nope, not being sensitive, I just like to argue.

    Yes, you are correct. You don't have any idea. Most flash drives come with FAT32 file system. Because you didn't know much about the subject.
    Flash drives use it because it ensures the widest range of compatibility. Try using an NTFS flash drive on Windows 98, or a PS3 for that matter.

    Thank you. Better than being shocked without much reason, right?
    You know, instead of grabbing the torch and rope, you could have just explained your side of the argument. I still don't get why you got so aggravated by my post.

    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    NTFS isnt licensed, Linux OS supports it you can even get the PS3 versions of linux to use NTFS formatted hard drives.
    Interesting.......
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  18. #18
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,754
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    111,409 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    Yeah, but wouldn't it just be "console", and not "consoles"? Isn't there only ONE console manufacturer that uses hard drives that are not third party? You brought up something that was not related to the topic, we were talking about file systems, and you attacked the competition about something else. That's a common defense mechanism.
    Actually, if you notice, the reason why I brought up other consoles is to make you look at the bigger picture. You're comparing the PS3 to PCs, I'm trying to tell you that, compared to other consoles, whatever PS3 is offering here is still far superior. How's that not related to the topic? I'm not attacking the competition. I'm trying to correct your perception.

    It's like saying, omg, how shocking is it that PS3 only supports upto 1x or 2x of blu-ray speeds!?

    Umm...yes, that does sound just as ridiculous.

    Nope, not being sensitive, I just like to argue.
    Well, then you've come to the right place. Sensationalist statements do help.

    Flash drives use it because it ensures the widest range of compatibility. Try using an NTFS flash drive on Windows 98, or a PS3 for that matter.
    Oh wait, I thought you said that you didn't know if anything was making use of FAT32 anymore.

    You know, instead of grabbing the torch and rope, you could have just explained your side of the argument. I still don't get why you got so aggravated by my post.
    Aggravated? How am I aggravated? lol. So far you've been accusing me of treating your posts as fanboyism, being defensive, using exclamation marks. You like to assume things about me pre-maturely.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Actually, if you notice, the reason why I brought up other consoles is to make you look at the bigger picture. You're comparing the PS3 to PCs, I'm trying to tell you that, compared to other consoles, whatever PS3 is offering here is still far superior. How's that not related to the topic? I'm not attacking the competition. I'm trying to correct your perception.
    Yeah, understand what you are saying, I just disagree. We weren't talking about the ability to use different hardware, we were talking about the software.

    It's like me saying "I am shocked that Onkyo still makes heavy use of component inputs" and then you say, "At least Onkyo lets you change the connectors for third party connectors, you aren't stuck with only the Onkyo connectors, Denon doesn't let you do that".

    That basically attacks the competition, when no one was being attacked in the first place. Nothing derogatory was said about Onkyo in the first place, just expressed shock.

    On the other hand, had you said "Well, there is still pretty heavy use of component inputs, a lot of people still have TV's without HDMI, they don't want to lose that market. Plus, the quality difference between HDMI and Component is minimal at best", I might have responded much differently and said "yeah, that's true, I didn't think about that".

    But, that's not what you did, you changed the subject to something different than the thread, or my post, and took it to the competition, instead of directly addressing what I said in my post.

    Well, then you've come to the right place.
    I have noticed.

    Oh wait, I thought you said that you didn't know if anything was making use of FAT32 anymore.
    I wasn't really referring to flash drives, mainly devices that are basically computers, that use hard drives. Most flash drives don't have the potential to store over 4Gb, and they aren't "new" technology. I didn't say "I didn't know anything" I said "much of anything", which leaves room to put things in that still use FAT32, like flash drives.

    Aggravated? How am I aggravated? lol. So far you've been accusing me of treating your posts as fanboyism, being defensive, using exclamation marks. You like to assume things about me pre-maturely.
    Well, it just seemed to me, that since you immediately attacked the competition, you took my post as an attack on the PS3. That's how it happens quite often. Someone takes something as an attack on the PS3, making them a fanboy of some other console, so the person defending attacks back.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  20. #20
    Paddy McCourt
    gster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    PSN ID
    thekhanster4444
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    329 (0 Banked)
    lol stop hijacking my thread and put your handbags away!



  21. #21
    Elite Guru
    HaTriX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    21
    Posts
    5,189
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    126 (0 Banked)
    You shouldn't have done a full format. It is not necessary.

    Quick format would take 1/10 of the time.


    Athlon 64 X2 6000+ | PI-AM2RS780G Mobo | 2x2GB DDR2 800 | HD 4830 @ 655/1025, Rosewill 550W PSU | Samsung 500GB 7200RPM
    | Windows 7 x64 | Onkyo HT-S3100 5.1

  22. #22
    young rich and tasteless
    squirrelbo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,768
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    16,099 (0 Banked)
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    Aren't there only 2 other consoles? And, only one of those with a hard drive? I was talking about the file system itself, not the drive support. I just never really hear of any new stuff using fat32, that's all.
    wasnt that his argument though...............
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    I wasn't really referring to flash drives, mainly devices that are basically computers, that use hard drives. Most flash drives don't have the potential to store over 4Gb, and they aren't "new" technology. I didn't say "I didn't know anything" I said "much of anything", which leaves room to put things in that still use FAT32, like flash drives.
    i have both a 16gb and a 32gd flash drive, both are fat32............... also my external hdd is fat 32 (500gb) formatted so i could use on ps3.

    Quote Originally Posted by HaTriX View Post
    You shouldn't have done a full format. It is not necessary.

    Quick format would take 1/10 of the time.
    THIS!!!!!!!!!! quick formatt on a 1TB hard drive would take about 30 mins to 1 hour.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

  23. #23
    Earthbound
    dc89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Taking my seat at the Fancy Pets Council
    Age
    25
    Posts
    15,674
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    2,210 (72 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I can't believe this thread is still going!
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

  24. #24
    Paddy McCourt
    gster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    PSN ID
    thekhanster4444
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    329 (0 Banked)
    well, i started formatting at the time of starting this thread (roughly 12:30 am)

    at this time its 97%

    maybe i should've fast formatted



  25. #25
    Elite Guru
    HaTriX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    21
    Posts
    5,189
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    126 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by gster View Post
    well, i started formatting at the time of starting this thread (roughly 12:30 am)

    at this time its 97%

    maybe i should've fast formatted
    For sure. Always do quick format. Full formats are, for just about 99% of the time, pointless.


    Athlon 64 X2 6000+ | PI-AM2RS780G Mobo | 2x2GB DDR2 800 | HD 4830 @ 655/1025, Rosewill 550W PSU | Samsung 500GB 7200RPM
    | Windows 7 x64 | Onkyo HT-S3100 5.1

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.