Page 1 of 127 111 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Android Phone Thread

searched and couldnt find one that was already made so.

i got the g1, ditched the iphone 3g for it. and i love the g1. anyone else got an android phone?

PSN: Hologram777

2. Likes F34R likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    no but i plan on getting one and i have verizon so i have about 4 different choices coming soon

Apprentice
    cool, what ones do you have in mind? I might upgrade to the motorola cliq on nov 2nd but im not sure yet cause i love the g1

Elite Guru
    I don't even have a phone right now, but I'm definitely considering the Droid. Everything I've seen from it so far looks amazing. Plus it has 'Android 2.0.' I think it's coming out in November?

Looks awesome so far.

Flash 10? Hell yeah.

Apprentice
    yeah dude, the android is the future as far as phone os goes.

Dedicated Member
    well from what I have read:

moto sholes
    moto calgary
    htc desire
    htc passion
    htc predator
    htc eris

keep in mind some of those phones may have two different names so the list could be smaller

droid is the name of a series of android phones, not the name of a specific android phone

Elite Member

I have the Pre, but damn, i want the HERO. I would trade my Pre right now for it.
    ****I7 920, GTX295 EVGA, 6gb OCZ****
    ***********Sony 40v4100***********
    **************60gb Ps3*************
    *******Arcade 360 w/ 20gb add-on*****

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzypumpkins View Post
    well from what I have read:

moto sholes
    moto calgary
    htc desire
    htc passion
    htc predator
    htc eris

keep in mind some of those phones may have two different names so the list could be smaller

droid is the name of a series of android phones, not the name of a specific android phone
    From what I read the 'sholes' is going to be called 'Droid' and then the rest of the phones will have a subname.

Superior Member
    i want a android, but my iphone does more than enough, and the app store has far better choice than other phones (who could not want over 100 choices of fart apps). plus i would not touch a motorola with a 30ft poll after years of crap moto phones

Master Guru
    I have a G1, that Droid is looking sexy, would like to upgrade soonish to something a bit sleeker/slimmer

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tomqman View Post
    i want a android, but my iphone does more than enough, and the app store has far better choice than other phones (who could not want over 100 choices of fart apps). plus i would not touch a motorola with a 30ft poll after years of crap moto phones
    lol Thats true. The razor for instance is probably one of the worst phones I've ever used.

But there are other android phones, pretty much anything that HTC makes has an amazing build quality.

Forum Sage
    Im looking forward to the Sony Ericsson Rachel

Elite Guru
    I'm very pleased with my HTC Hero. It does everything it needs to do, and it does it FAST!!
    Feed the troll

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I'm a diehard iPhone 3GS user. Haven't used the Android yet so I can't comment on its interface, but its app store pales in comparison to Apple's. I have way too much invested in iPhone apps to give them up. Either way, I'm glad to see the cell phone market follow Apple's lead. Competition is a good thing.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    I'm a diehard iPhone 3GS user. Haven't used the Android yet so I can't comment on its interface, but its app store pales in comparison to Apple's. I have way too much invested in iPhone apps to give them up. Either way, I'm glad to see the cell phone market follow Apple's lead. Competition is a good thing.
    Well the iPhone has been out longer than any Android phone. So that is the main reason why.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDon View Post
    Well the iPhone has been out longer than any Android phone. So that is the main reason why.
    True. It would be nice to see some of the iPhone devs port their games over to Android. Know of a good site for following Android apps/games news? Like I said, I'm not giving up my iPhone, but I think the Android vs. iPhone battle will be one of the more intriguing to watch.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Master Guru
    For me, I'll never touch an iphone unless they add a real keyboard. I was going to get a Blackberry for a while, but now I'm waiting for something like this:

I've tried the virtual keyboards, and they just stink compared to real ones. I'd be using it for my business and email on the go, so that's a must for me.

This above phone is the Samsung Moment and is running on Google Android as well. For sure the iphone leads in the app store by miles, but I love the google integration that's there / is coming. I also love the fact that Google is also the one providing some of the key content. If Google pulled themselves out of the iphone and took with them google maps and so on, Android would put themselves in a strong position.

My guess is this is going to be a 2 pony race in a few years between Android and the Iphone. Android being completely open vs the closed Blackberry, closed Windows Mobile, and semi closed iphone. There's just so much potential in completely open source and free. And Google is the dominant force right now in search, maps, and news on the internet.

Dedicated Member
    yeah now the motorola sholes is actually the motorola droid and the other android phones coming to verizon will also have droid in their name....doesnt make much sense.

and the htc passion is most likely the htc dragon

Master Guru
    The way my G1 interects with maps and contacts, it's seamless. I can have a contacts adress, open it up in maps, then search for the nearest restaurant all in literally 3 clicks. Google Maps gives me traffic info and instant GPS.

I can be browsing a website and checking out restaurants, the G1 will let me add the number straight to my contacts, find the address on maps and read restaurant reviews. The same goes with anything like attractions and public transport.

Elite Guru
    The fully released information on the Motorola Droid was released today, it is quite impressive to say the least.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/m...irst-hands-on/

Has a ton of new pictures and a decently long video showing off the interface and functions and especially google maps. The lady talking describes it as 'DVD Quality' recording, and from the looks of it, it looks pretty damn close. I am pretty impressed.

The price is also $300 but it comes with a $100 mail-in-rebate. Not too bad, and it also comes with a 16gb Micro SD card pre-installed. That sounds like a damn good deal to me.

The specs here:

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...ROID-US-EN.alt

VIDEO CAPTURE RATE:
    DVD quality (720x480 resolution) up to 24 fps capture; up to 30 fps playback.

That's damn impressive imo.

Getting the Droid on December 12th.

gonna get one 4 christmas

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Android phone is the i phone killer right, i saw the tv commerical it does a lot more
    then the iphone how much is it??

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Android phone is the i phone killer right, i saw the tv commerical it does a lot more
    then the iphone how much is it??
    Android isn't a phone, it's an Operating System used for mobile devices. The phone you saw a commercial for was the Motorola Droid (the first in the new line of Android-based phones for Verizon). It is $300 with a two year contract, and it also comes with a $100 mail in rebate. So after all is said and done, excluding taxes, the Motorola droid is $200. I'm not completely sure on the exact pricing of the minimum plans, but I think it's around $70 a month which is pretty much standard for any smartphone from Verizon.

Htc Hero, or Samung Moment. I'm torn. Sense UI -vs- OLED and better camera.

Thread Information