Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chesteria View Post
    As much as I'd like to blame my rage on you for making go look at who was playing in my area; I can't.

Ensiferum is playing 90 minutes from me, and I'm stuck at work.

I wanna die
    Lol man I don't mean to make you mad. That stink that you couldn't go to that show.

Forum Sage
    I saw Behemoth the other month and I was dissapointed. Didn't really put on a good show or look like they wanted to be there.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    Lol man I don't mean to make you mad. That stink that you couldn't go to that show.

I also missed Kalmah and Eluveitie the same way; finding out they were playing the same day and not being able to get off work.

I gotta find a site that will text me a few weeks before a band is having a show within 3hrs of me.

c'est la vie I guess
    Trophies:

Forum Guru
    Been listening to some Into Eternity a bit lately. Pretty good stuff.

ABRs new album is absolutely fantastic, definitely better than the other two I have.
    I need to check out August Burns Red's new album. Haven't heard it yet. A buddy of mine told me it was good as well.

Into Eternity is alright. I really enjoyed their album The Scattering Of Ashes. Timeless Winter is probably their best song.

I saw Behemoth the other month and I was dissapointed. Didn't really put on a good show or look like they wanted to be there.
    I seen em last year at sounds of the underground. they and gwar was the best thing there.

Forum Sage
    I'd love to see Gwar. So much fake blood

Master Poster
    Oh it existed, but was derailed by a ****** bag and his nonsensical ramblings about what was metal and what influenced this blah blah blah.
    I think that only happened in your head, as the previous metal thread just disappeared down the forum pages because of a lack of interest. You can find it here: http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=metal Unless there was another one in between that I've missed and was deleted because of that derailment.

My first post in that last thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Warrior View Post
    Hmpf, I've seen a lot of these threads on here, posted in most of them, but they sort of die after a while anyway. But here goes again.

I'm a huge fan of (mostly) old heavy metal. It can't get any better than Iron Maiden, from their self-titled album to the Powerslave-Somewhere in Time era. I listen to similar bands like Priest, Saxon and a few othen heavy/hard rock bands like Manowar, Kiss, WASP, Gamma Ray etc, but none quite as fanatical as Maiden. Songs like 22 Acacia Avenue, Phantom of the Opera, Aces High, Powerslave, Killers, Purgatory, Charlot the Harlot, Flight of Icarus, ... Unmatched by any modern band.
    And again, nothing's changed. We shouldn't be surprised if people don't even bother doing a search and then start a new thread claiming they "can't believe it doesn't already exists". Curious how long this one will last!

Forum Sage
    I wouldn't say I don't like metal, but I wouldn't say I love it either. Some bands are alright, others I just have to ignore.

http://www.last.fm/user/RawwrMatt
    My lastFM.
    Buying tickets for KISS in Newcastle when they get released.

Apprentice
    I think that only happened in your head, as the previous metal thread just disappeared down the forum pages because of a lack of interest. You can find it here: http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=metal Unless there was another one in between that I've missed and was deleted because of that derailment.

My first post in that last thread:

And again, nothing's changed. We shouldn't be surprised if people don't even bother doing a search and then start a new thread claiming they "can't believe it doesn't already exists". Curious how long this one will last!
    To be honest I can't remember the thread name, it might not have started as a metal thread; I'm also really too lazy to go and search for it. I hope this one lasts.

I've been hitting a lot of Waken Open Air vids on YouTube and it is now my mission to get there for 2010. Has anyone been?
    Trophies:

Master Poster
    To be honest I can't remember the thread name, it might not have started as a metal thread; I'm also really too lazy to go and search for it. I hope this one lasts.

I've been hitting a lot of Waken Open Air vids on YouTube and it is now my mission to get there for 2010. Has anyone been?
    Yeah I've been there, twice. You can always count on Wacken to spoil you with some great and often exclusive giggs. I was there in 2005 for one of the last open air performances of Dissection (although we didn't know that at the time), the only Bloodbath show to date and a reŁnion of Accept. Those were the most notable ones. I was there the year after as well, with possibly the biggest Scorpions show ever, lasting somehwere between 2 and 3 hours with guest appearances of all the notable ex-members. I also remember the Carnivore reŁnion, the former band of Type O Negative frontman Peter Steele.

Wacken is sensational. When you first enter, the sight of the 2 huge main stages right next to each other is unreal. But wait until the night, when they set fire to the huge Wacken head between the two stages. The camping is ridiculously big, and while other festivals have strict rules, Wacken simply didn't seem to have those rules. There was loads of fireworks, open air barbeques etc going on. The metal market is the finest I've seen so far as well.

It's an insane festival, but the only downside is that for several years now it's been selling out like crazy. I've not really had the chance to plan my visit far ahead since 2006 so I've always missed out. I swear it must've been sold out shortly after Christmas once. Next year's Christmas package tickets (10.000) were sold out 10 hours after this year's Wacken ended!

So a bit of advice if you want to go: buy soon, very soon. Also, go early. And I mean early, like making sure you arrive 2 days before the kick off. In 2006, we arrived in Wacken (the village) 1 day in advance around 18.00h and didn't have our tents up until 3.00h at night. And I can tell you Wacken is a very small village... 9 hours to move about 2 or 3 miles!

Veteran
    I don't listen to Metal at all. But this song is insane. I love the guitars. I don't like the screaming tho.

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/rRsdU-kh_pw[/embed]
    "This life is not real. I conquered the world and it did not bring me satisfaction." -Muhammad Ali

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MiThRaZoR View Post
    I don't listen to Metal at all. But this song is insane. I love the guitars. I don't like the screaming tho.
    Kalmah is one of my top 3 favourite bands; the others being Wintersun and Ensiferum.

If you like that song there are a plethora of others that are equal in quality.

For instance: Swamphell

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/mVAW9zg9Mv4[/embed]

Yeah ...
    Wow, what I wouldn't give to have been there man. We get metal in Canada, but for the most part it's a lot of the hardcore/emo mix. The shows I like to go to are few and far between.

I just checked on prices and it's going to run me $550 CDN just for the ticket to get into the show; never mind my flight and everything else. Looks like I might plan for 2011!

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll recruit some other people and make this a week long trip.
    Trophies:

Master Poster
    Iron Maiden's just been confirmed for Wacken 2010 though, you might want to think twice before postponing this.

I'd never hear of Kalmah, but their sound is incredibly similar to early Children of Bodom stuff. Even the voice is identical! Not a bad thing, as I quite like them.

Apprentice
    Iron Maiden's just been confirmed for Wacken 2010 though, you might want to think twice before postponing this.

I'd never hear of Kalmah, but their sound is incredibly similar to early Children of Bodom stuff. Even the voice is identical! Not a bad thing, as I quite like them.

I've been spoiled with Iron Maiden, seen them twice in the last few years - a third time would be more than worth it. Brendon Small / Dethklok open for them - that was kinda cool.

Kalmah is very much like Children of Bodom; in their later albums they seem to have adopted the cookie monster death growl, but I think it fits the "Swamp Metal" style their shooting for.

Here is another of my favs by them

Groan of Wind on their Black Waltz album

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/eh0bLIoD_S0[/embed]

*found one that will embed
    Trophies:

Dedicated Member
    I've been spoiled with Iron Maiden, seen them twice in the last few years - a third time would be more than worth it. Brendon Small / Dethklok open for them - that was kinda cool.

Kalmah is very much like Children of Bodom; in their later albums they seem to have adopted the cookie monster death growl, but I think it fits the "Swamp Metal" style their shooting for.

Here is another of my favs by them

Groan of Wind on their Black Waltz album

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/eh0bLIoD_S0[/embed]

*found one that will embed
    I've seen Maiden twice aswell. Might see them again next year at Sonisphere. Main reason to go would be Slayer and Anthrax though seeing as i don't listen to Maiden that much anymore.

Oh, Kalmah is great too. Really looking forward to the new album. Should be quality like all their other albums.

Thanks to MentallyCritical for the signature

Master Poster
    You can never see enough of Iron Maiden. There's always something different about their shows. First time I saw them it was songs like 22 Acacia Avenue, Die With Your Boots On, Bring Your Daughter, Clansman. Another time it was Murders In The Rue Morgue, Phantom of the Opera. Last time it was Wasted Years, Aces High, Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner. And it's always quality entertainment with Bruce $#@!inson.

Apprentice
    Noooo, the thread is falling!

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/9rcZR90ND1I[/embed]

Just found these guys. Gotta say, I really like them.
    Trophies:

Forum Sage
    Iron Maiden to headline Sonesphere in the UK .
    Its going to be a tough choice between this and Download festival this year.

dannypnefc
    I'm actually only just getting into metal now. I find it weird how my music tastes have evolved over the years.
    I mean 3 years ago I was listening to indie rock, and swiftly moved onto alternative rock, punk rock, screamo, metalcore (etc) and now metal.
    I like bands such as Killswitch Engage, In Flames, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my valentine and As I lay dying. Honestly, metal is awesome and I don't see why people hate it (I have to admit I used to hate it..).
    Anyway, I'm now going to use this thread as a template as to what bands I should be listening to

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by dannypnefc View Post
    I'm actually only just getting into metal now. I find it weird how my music tastes have evolved over the years.
    I mean 3 years ago I was listening to indie rock, and swiftly moved onto alternative rock, punk rock, screamo, metalcore (etc) and now metal.
    I like bands such as Killswitch Engage, In Flames, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my valentine and As I lay dying. Honestly, metal is awesome and I don't see why people hate it (I have to admit I used to hate it..).
    Anyway, I'm now going to use this thread as a template as to what bands I should be listening to
    I hear ya! I remember in grade 5...maybe 6 (I was 11 or 12), I purchased a 'Lit' album. That's right; I gave money to someone for Lit. Bush, Tea Party, I Mother Earth - all of them and their friends were dominating my CD collection. Then Metallica made its way into my life and all the others ran and hid, never to be seen again.

There are a whole lot of sub genres and classifications the fans like to throw on their music; so depending on the type of Metal you like, you should take a look at these youtube channels. They upload unknown (to them) bands from across the world. Full of different styles and flavours, I've managed to fatten my playlist quite a bit scouring their uploads.

http://www.youtube.com/user/oabbasi
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SwampKalmah

(Is it bad to link to YouTube channels? If so, my apologies mods)

Check em out, you might like a few.
    Trophies:

Forum Sage
    I know they're not metal but The Ghost of A Thousand are pretty amazing live and the two CD's they've released are pretty great.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ndWKhSaWI"]YouTube- The Ghost of a Thousand "Black Art Number One" Live[/ame]

on the topic of metal; I just bought the most recent Metallica on vinyl <3

Elite Guru

Dillinger aired the first song from their new album option paralysis christmas eve as a nice present.

************* AWESOME

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYWG3h28ms"]YouTube- Dillinger escape plan - farewell mona lisa (Better quality)[/ame]
    Calculating Infinity

Forum Guru
    Good song. When the album comes out...

I'll be gettin that fo sho.

Dedicated Member
    So, i just heard Heroes of Our Time by Dragonforce. It was horrible. Are all their songs like a neverending guitar solo? Seriously?

Thanks to MentallyCritical for the signature

Thread Information