Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Ubi urges PS3 price drop in 2007

You know i am tired of everybody talking about the price point. If you think it is expensive well don't buy it.

Ubisoft sees a bright future for the next gen over in the US, with the company predicting that next-gen systems will fly off the shelves over the next couple of years and its market forecast for 2008 saying that nearly 40 million consoles will be shifted in the US during that year.

However, speaking to financial site Bloomberg, company president Yves Guillemot predicted that, while demand for the PS3 in the US this year will be exceptionally high due to gamers' expectations, Sony should rapidly drop its PS3 price in 2007 if it intends to win the fight against Microsoft.

It's certainly a fair point and, after riding the rush of initial adopters, Sony will almost certainly have to adjust its pricing policy on the next-gen machine if it wants to reach the massive audience it did with PS2 and remain competitive against the 360. Guillemot's comments also add weight to Bill Gates' argument that 2007 will be the crucial year when the next-gen battle is decided.

Advertisement:Still, it seems things are looking up for the Ubis, with several major series like Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia under its belt and a raft of new titles like Assassin's Creed and Red Steel exciting interest across next-gen formats. Ubisoft isn't done either, with Guillemot saying that it was quite probable the company would add to its portfolio by acquiring new franchises and studios along the way as it shapes up for more next-gen goodness.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=142305

There is always hope.

Apprentice

I'm with you stop complaining about the price man I'm not rich but that's why i'm saving up and now when everyone finally learns about the PS3 and the price Sony slapped on it they overlook that it is still the better system by a bit and they get mad cause they don't wanna save well that's your fault more PS3 for the people who do want them
    Future=Owner=$600 PS3

HighPs3

Re: Ubi urges PS3 price drop in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Hope47
    You know i am tired of everybody talking about the price point. If you think it is expensive well don't buy it.

Ubisoft sees a bright future for the next gen over in the US, with the company predicting that next-gen systems will fly off the shelves over the next couple of years and its market forecast for 2008 saying that nearly 40 million consoles will be shifted in the US during that year.

However, speaking to financial site Bloomberg, company president Yves Guillemot predicted that, while demand for the PS3 in the US this year will be exceptionally high due to gamers' expectations, Sony should rapidly drop its PS3 price in 2007 if it intends to win the fight against Microsoft.

It's certainly a fair point and, after riding the rush of initial adopters, Sony will almost certainly have to adjust its pricing policy on the next-gen machine if it wants to reach the massive audience it did with PS2 and remain competitive against the 360. Guillemot's comments also add weight to Bill Gates' argument that 2007 will be the crucial year when the next-gen battle is decided.

Advertisement:Still, it seems things are looking up for the Ubis, with several major series like Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia under its belt and a raft of new titles like Assassin's Creed and Red Steel exciting interest across next-gen formats. Ubisoft isn't done either, with Guillemot saying that it was quite probable the company would add to its portfolio by acquiring new franchises and studios along the way as it shapes up for more next-gen goodness.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=142305

Anyone else find this really ironic?

Superior Member
    If ubisoft and any price haters really wnat change, spook the stockholders.

What life? What is death? If one acends then neither will matter.

Aleman
    Stockholders can't do jack about Sony's operations.

Superior Member
    If they start selling their stock in Sony rather rapidly Sony would react.

Aleman
    Quote Originally Posted by KuroMaruku
    If they start selling their stock in Sony rather rapidly Sony would react.
    You don't seem to know how the stock market works.

Superior Member
    so they would not care if thje stock holders are spooked?
    Explain to me then. If ya want me to understnad explain, I just felt so. Wouldn't mass stock sellign alarm them in the least bit?

Aleman
    The stock price itself has little effect on how a company operates.

And the only way you can sell a stock is if someone else buys it

Superior Member
    They must have some effect, becuase somebody needs to tell the execs like it is.

Aleman
    About the only effect stockholders have is that they can vote on certain things annually. But from my experiences (I have a few stocks in some big companies), it's mostly electing new execs and stuff.

Superior Member
    Tis nice to leanr things...
    Still I hope someboy cna get a messgae to Sony. While some might look an say "cheap" but how Sony's goign about it and the game price thign is really gonna bite them if they don't relase it soon.

Apprentice

OK how many % of Sony stocks does UBI hold? Is it in double digits at least? If not, then there is your answer.
    PSN ID: AliJune

Superior Member

Re: Ubi urges PS3 price drop in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Hope47
    If you think it is expensive well don't buy it.
    That's exactly the problem Ubi is addressing. They think too many people will say it's too expensive and not buy it. Ubi's sales are dependant on PS3 sales. They can't sell PS3 games to people who don't own a PS3. And Ubi doesn't care about the losses Sony might incur. They want as many consoles in the hands of consumers as possible and a cheaper price will definately sell more consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleman
    The stock price itself has little effect on how a company operates.

And the only way you can sell a stock is if someone else buys it
    Yep, as soon as the company sells the stock to an investor, they don't really care what happens with it. Although many execs and ceos have a lot of stock in the company they work for so it does indirectly affect the company.

Do not double-post, use the Edit button. Please read the rules ~ Lp Chris XII
    I didn't double post. I posted twice. And I'm quite proficient with the edit button as you can tell. The reading comprehension is already pretty piss poor around here so breaking it down into seperate posts helps. Also, it reduces the size of other people's posts if they choose to quote me.

Apprentice

if xbox 360's flew of the shelves, i don't see why ps3 won't. Considering how many problems plague the 360, it still sells like crazy. lol my friend was on his fourth 360 a week ago and gave up with it. Not sure if he put it in the trash or got his money back for it.
    gamertag: blueludesi

Apprentice

sounds like your friend has a problem with taken care of things. Thats almost statistically impossible to recieve 4 faulty xbox 360's in a row.

Superior Member

CEO's and executives do in fact care very much about stock prices and share holders can influence decisions in the corporation but it's not the small time investors it's the institutional investors that have massive holdings in a company. If the institutional investors didn't like the direction Sony was heading they could certainly have discussions with management and tell them they want changes. At this point nothing like that is happening so no worries for Sony but if in early 07 sales are sluggish due to the price point you can bet they will be having conversations with management.

Apprentice

I honestly see PS3's price as a value for what it offers, but I wouldn't complain for a second if the price were to be lowered. I believe a price drop in late 2007 sounds fairly reasonable, but not sooner than that.

Forum Sage
    sony better listen to ubisoft... becaquse its one of thier allies on the battle. technology costs too much these days.
    tfw you want to use signatures you made that are saved in DA but this place still have a signature size limitations after all these years
    lol

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by markme2005
    sounds like your friend has a problem with taken care of things. Thats almost statistically impossible to recieve 4 faulty xbox 360's in a row.
    But it's almost statistically impossible. But it is much more likely that he can't take care of his $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by ranthum
    Quote Originally Posted by markme2005
    But it's almost statistically impossible. But it is much more likely that he can't take care of his *expletive deleted*.
    The interactive display of the 360 at my store Failed 3 times in one month and had to be replaced each time. One of my friends that works that cashier is on his 3rd 360 since February. But another store in out district hasn't had a single return or complaint of a faulty unit. I think there are just batches of 'dead' units out there. While the relative number is probably very small (3%-5% according to MS) it could explain why some people seem to have exgrated problems.

Knuckles126
    haha...I like the PS3 and all, but seriously if you think that paying near a grand for a console is "okay" then you seriously need to get your head checked...$600 is awful, and they really need to drop the price as soon as possible.

Veteran
    Sony can and most likely will drop the price. Since they will be switching over to the 65nm manufacturing process. So it's a possibility. Another reason is Microsoft. They'll also drop their prices. If they do it, Sony can't go against them with a 600 dollar price tag since Microsoft will be selling it for about 300 dollars for the premium.

So Sony could drop it to $449 but that could be alot of money still. I wonder how much money they'll be saving in the first place by switching to the 65nm manufacturing process.
    "This life is not real. I conquered the world and it did not bring me satisfaction." -Muhammad Ali

Knuckles126
    Quote Originally Posted by MiThRaZoR
    Sony can and most likely will drop the price. Since they will be switching over to the 65nm manufacturing process. So it's a possibility. Another reason is Microsoft. They'll also drop their prices. If they do it, Sony can't go against them with a 600 dollar price tag since Microsoft will be selling it for about 300 dollars for the premium.

So Sony could drop it to $449 but that could be alot of money still. I wonder how much money they'll be saving in the first place by switching to the 65nm manufacturing process.
    Maybe a $100? Even if they did drop it down to $500 for the premium, thats still alot of money...I don't see Sony dropping the price to $449 or $400 anytime soon...even if they do get those new 6nm processors, they will still keep the price high...it won't drop $100...yet, it needs to drop about $300 for average consumers to take it seriously.

If you don't believe me, go talk to some strangers who are interested in it and tell 'em how much its gonna cost...watch their facial expression..

afi
    Companies offering price drops for their products depends on their sales . THere will obviously be a price drop after one year.Maybe $50-$100.All companies do that.It's a strategy. By then,ms probably will start dropping it's price. So sony needs to be careful if it were to move ahead of the competition.

Thread Information