Dedicated Member

Is Westinghouse a good tv brand?

there is a 32" lcd on sale but I was wondering if this brand is any good

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sorry I have never heard of that, but just because I've never heard of it doesn't mean they are not good! I don't think they sell them in the UK (where I live) as I have never seen one!

I suggest trying to read up on them online.

But to back my point up Loewe and Bang Olufsen aren't well heard of but they are very very good tv's with a very very big price tag!
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    Quote Originally Posted by evilempire702 View Post
    there is a 32" lcd on sale but I was wondering if this brand is any good
    I have a 42 inch LCD from them but it is a few years old now. It has some banding issues. They were one of the first to offer a 1080p input, so I bought one knowing about some of the issues. I would research the specific model on AVSforum before buying.

Elite Guru
    I'm assuming you are referring to Target's sale? I know they had a Westinghouse 32inch 720p for $249. Picture Quality they are pretty good for the price, but the light in the back of the TV tends to go out fairly quickly. Meaning I'd only buy a Westinghouse as a temporary HDTV Fix, as opposed to a long term relationship. haha

Most of the people I know had to have their Westinghouse fixed/replaced after about 6-8months. If it was up to me, I'd rather get the 32 inch Samsung from Bestbuy. It was about $377, but I know it'll last long, and probably have a much better overall quality to it.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    Most of the people I know had to have their Westinghouse fixed/replaced after about 6-8months
    I have had mine since December 2006 and it is still running on its first lamp. It has never been in my living room, but it did get use on a daily basis for 2 years while it was in my bedroom.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    I have had mine since December 2006 and it is still running on its first lamp. It has never been in my living room, but it did get use on a daily basis for 2 years while it was in my bedroom.
    I'm not saying every model burns out quickly, I'm just giving him my experiences with the brand. I almost bought the exact TV he's talking about as a temporary TV, but I ended up not getting as much on my last check as I thought I would.

Master Poster
    How do tv's "burn out"? Never heard that on LCDs, only DLPs had that. Or?
    "The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic."

Dedicated Member
    they are a mediocre tv. If it's what you can afford, then by all means.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDon View Post
    I'm not saying every model burns out quickly, I'm just giving him my experiences with the brand.
    When I bought mine, Westinghouse had a 1 year standard warranty. If it burned out in the first year from normal use, you should be able to get it fixed under the warranty. I just find it very doubtful that they have a high percentage of TVs that burn out that quick. It would cost them a ton of money for all of the warranty repairs.

Also, Consumer Reports did a survey of brands (Westinghouse was included) for people that bought LCDs and Plasmas from 2005-2008 and found very few repairs (3 percent) across the spectrum for the first few years of use.

BTW I am still not saying it is a great brand. Like I mentioned before, mine has banding issues.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    I have sold a ton of this brand over the past few years. havent seen it come back more than any other. Ill tell you like everything in the world 2 people could buy the exact same thing and one never has any problems and loves it, while the other has nothing but problems and hates it. id reccommend the brand. Especially around the 32 inch size. i have notive its really 36 and up that you start seeing all those 1 and 0 diffrances.

Dedicated Member
    OK do I went and bought it yesterday and the ps3 looks great on it, the standard definition channels look like crap but Im guessing that's normal on hdtvs, thanks to those that replied +rep to you guys.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evilempire702 View Post
    OK do I went and bought it yesterday and the ps3 looks great on it, the standard definition channels look like crap but Im guessing that's normal on hdtvs, thanks to those that replied +rep to you guys.
    Standard def looks better if you set your source to a mode that it doesn't stretch it. You will have bars on the side, but it will look better.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    save up a few more dollars and get a 32 inch samsung best buy has them for 400 dollars

Thread Information