Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Elder

PS1 best gen for skate games

im not going to lie i love improvement and in nearly every respect the current generation wipes the floor with what past generations have brung, their obviously are examples that myself and everyone else prefers from generations gone by (san andreas for example) but generally the genre as a whole improves. which makes it strange that im still playing ps1 skate games opposed to the latest counterparts.

my copy of thrasher skate and destroy came through the post today and that along with street skater and the first 2 games to come from the tony hawks series makes for an absolutely stellar lineup. far better than the drivel that is currently gracing our consoles. ill admit skate was a fairly decent attempt but it still dosent come close to the ps1 gen, and dont get me started on the junk thats come from the tony hawks series in the past few years.

to me the biggest problem is the absolute variety in what you can currently do in a skate game which takes away from the core experience, id forgotten what its like to rack up a score which is only barely achievbale and all at the same time racing through the course to get to the finish in a time limit set by somebody that wants you to break down in tears are failing it 15 times. i know all games are getting easier to hit a larger target audience but its not just about the simplicity. i cant quite put my finger on it but the oldies just have that spark which hasnt been met for 2 generations and dosent look like it will be anytime soon

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    dannycorker
    The problem is that the original THPS games had everything you needed from a skate game! But the devs kept trying to add new stupid stuff every year that nobody wants, when if they just made a nice shiny version of THPS2 they'd have a proper skating game again.

Yeah I played THPS a lot. It had everything a skateboard game should have.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Markcoos
    I remember playing that, and doing the cheat which made you hover. It was fun and if i still had it would still be playing it now. Why did they have to add a proper storyline? Why?
    Why did they have the option to get off your skateboard?
    Why?
    The first Tony Hawk games were amazing for the fact that you had fun, not because of some stupid over the top storyline

Forum Elder
    without a doubt man, they have gone too far away from the basics nowadays!!

agreed thps2 one of the best games of a generation. still play it occasionally today. Id like to see it on psn so i dont have to switch wires when i fancy a drish! N i dont think Ride is even worth cost of the plastic let alone 100.

Master Poster
    Nice to see Skate and Destroy get mentioned. I've always felt that was the most naturally controlling skate game until Skate came out (which has by far the best control scheme in the genre). I thought it was a truly fantastic game, though I was an even bigger fan of THPS2.

I think what really made it were the GREAT levels with fantastic spots. Who wasn't in love with School II, Philadelphia or the banks in New York? They were simple with a few great lines and that was it. Later Tony Hawks began to overcomplicate things and throw ridiculous over the top lines at the player and it all went downhill from there.

In theory, Skate (2) does all of that even better. It has by far a better control scheme than THPS2 and an open city with a lot of superior spots. But it doesn't captivate me as THPS2 did. I can't put it down to anything other than nostalgia.

Elite Member
    Items Tommy VercettiGameboy PurpleNintendoThe X-Files
    I love the first four THPS games, especially THPS2. It's one of my favourite games, I love it. I really like Skate 1+2 but THPS2 just felt/feels much more special in comparison IMO.

THPS 1 was awesome and 2 was even better but then they became to flop way to much on the PS2 and this last Tony Hawk Ride that came out its possible to be the worst skater game ive ever seen.Same goes with wrestling games since it
    started to name smackdownvsraw instead of smackdown.
    PSN ~ KillZone3000

PS1/PSX is the legend.

Quote Originally Posted by TehWrath View Post
    Yeah I played THPS a lot. It had everything a skateboard game should have.
    absolute class it was back in those days

Apprentice

thps was the best because you didnt have manual so to make a big combo you had to be bery good

like me!!

they shoul pot thps on the psn so you can play online

Tony Hawk 2 and 3 were so good, i've spent countless hours playing them in my high school years Every time i hear a song from that game my memories go back to those hours of wallgrinding and looking for tapes

- Playstationcollecting.com .. The online Playstation Collecting Community

Thread Information