Latest PSU headlines:

Apprentice

Which type of external hard drive works with ps3?

Want an external hard drive for ps3, is there any specific type which works with ps3? Has it got to be formatted in fat32 or ntfs? Is there a limit to the capacity..like would a 1 tb external drive work with ps3?
    Can ayone provide me a link to a large capacity external hard drive that works with ps3?

fleinn
    It supports fat32. Like windows, it should support any drive size up to some 1Tb and some way past that. File sizes are limited to 4Gb, though. And you have to use a 3rd party partition utility to actually format it if a partition is sized over.. what was it 500Gb or something like that?.. But generally, any external drive you would buy is formatted in fat32, and it should just work. NTFS isn't supported, same with any ext-variants.

Forum Guru
    I think there's a way to convert NTFS external drives to FAT32, which is what the PS3 supports. I did it on my external drive, but I don't remember how i did it.

Dedicated Member
    just about any external hdd will work the PS3 can format it, if you get a 2.5 you should be able to just switch them out if you want

Elite Member
    yea you can get any external hard drive ... but you will need to format it for FAT32 ... however you can't do it using the usual methods as windows will only go up to 32GB i think ... i used the following tool to convert my 250GB HD and it worked like a dream ...
    http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

Platinum # 5 - AC2 !

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Any USB based external HDD will work (i.e. don't get one that's made for firewire/ieee1394, network drive or eSata - these are less common but they exist.) It does need to be formatted as FAT32, but it doesn't matter what it's currently formatted as since you can reformat the drive later.

TAZ427

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It supports fat32 i did see on best buy.com there is a external hard drive that is fat 32 allready just plug it in and its ready to work

Forum Guru
    Kind of sucks that it can only read fat32. My external hdd is ntfs and I cannot lose the ability of not able to copy files over 4gb.

Thread Information