Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

What are you guys doing with your bricked, out of warranty PS3s?

As the title says, if you read my other post my 60gig recently broke, and I figured I would just buy a new slim instead of getting it fixed by Sony. Also, I opened it up to get Dragon Age out, so I can't send it to Sony to get repaired now.

I would like to keep it, but I really don't know what the heck to do with it.
    Such as

-let it collect dust
    -send it to Sony anyway and see if they will fix it even though the warranty sticker is peeled off (has anyone tried this?)
    -get it fixed locally somehow
    -smash it for fun
    -use the parts/sell the parts??? i doubt they have any value though
    -possibly try and fix it myself (although I have no idea what to do so this might be hard)
    -or any other ideas people might have

My personal preference would be to fix it somehow and use it for upstairs on my other TV, but I doubt Sony would fix it now.

Thanks in advance guys and girls.
    I love my PS3, but I'm ready for the PS4!

Dedicated Member
    Mine is currently collecting dust, I am debating whether I should get Sony to fix it or if I should fix it myself.

Superior Member
    You could try fixing it yourself. I'm assuming it Ylod'd on you, if so there are lots of tutorials on the internet.
    I miss Squaresoft

Apprentice

^^ I COULD try, but I don't know what I am doing, and I don't have a heat gun (which is needed I believe) I obviously would do it if I could... but I guess if it's collecting dust, and I get the right tools, it's worth a shot.

Superior Member
    Mine is collecting dust right now. As posted before, I'm not sure what's wrong with mine, Sony said it was a power problem, while it was doing the freeze then flashing red lights. Now I have the YLOD.
    So if I do anything I guess it would be send to Sony for repair.
    Maybe later on the 60 gig BC will be worth a lot more.

For now I'll just boxed it up, save money, send it sometime to Sony for repair.

Christmas day I'll get my new slim , so I'm in no hurry to get the 60gig fixed.
    Borderlands a great gaming experience

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Mine is collecting dust. I wanna tear it down to bits lol, But, i have no time to do so.

maybe in the next couple of months, when i really wanna get my SF4 disc out!!

Master Guru
    Collecting dust, the Blu-ray drive died so I'm thinking in turning it into a media centre. Adding all of my music and then putting some movies onto it and sticking it in the basement.
    Mac Mini 2.3GHz i5, 500GB HD, 8GB Ram; 16GB iPhone 5; 16GB iPad mini

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    Mine is collecting dust. I wanna tear it down to bits lol, But, i have no time to do so.

maybe in the next couple of months, when i really wanna get my SF4 disc out!!
    Getting the disc out would take you no longer than 30 minutes, including putting it back together. I have never fixed anything electronic, and it was really really easy. I wanted my disc, so I gave it a try.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by vesh1717 View Post
    Getting the disc out would take you no longer than 30 minutes, including putting it back together. I have never fixed anything electronic, and it was really really easy. I wanted my disc, so I gave it a try.
    30 mins?! i didn't know that thanks. I'm an electronic geek when it comes to tearing them down lol i love to take things apart :gta:

Probably gonna do that today.

I started fooling with mine, and put it back together, I didnt wanna fool with it.

Apprentice

^^ Here's for both of the guys who posted above

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSYYmYXgVl0"]YouTube- PS3 Blu-ray lens cleaning (ps3 fix)[/ame]

That is a great video of how to take the blu-ray drive apart, it is so easy trust me.
    The video is how to clean the lens, but once you get to the end you can take the disc right out. Give it a try seriously, you will not find it hard in the least.

Superior Member
    If your confident (i've heard its not very hard at all with from some people) then fix it yourself.

Then sell it in or trade it in to ure local gamestore. What a lot of ppl have done is do the YLOD fix (its only temp) then trade it in to their local game store for a slim.

Im not confident in fixing it myself so i payed 80 got it fixed a local console repair shop and it has 3 months warranty. I'm playing it for 3 months then when the warranty expires I'll trade it in for a slim on my bday.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Marcgear
    Items PlayStation
    Just to add to the ops question about sending a unit to sony when the sticker is removed. You can still send it to Sony even tho the sticker is missing, You will have to pay the standard repair fee 128/$150 but you are paying for a out of warranty repair hence to no need for the sticker. I was told this by the sony rep over the phone when mine went so alls good

REPAIR.
    under warranty = Free.
    out of warranty (with/without sticker) = 128/$150.
    New member of the PS4 club

Quote Originally Posted by marcsony View Post
    Just to add to the ops question about sending a unit to sony when the sticker is removed. You can still send it to Sony even tho the sticker is missing, You will have to pay the standard repair fee 128/$150 but you are paying for a out of warranty repair hence to no need for the sticker. I was told this by the sony rep over the phone when mine went so alls good

REPAIR.
    under warranty = Free.
    out of warranty (with/without sticker) = 128/$150.

Confirming the above, my sticker was removed when I sent my launch 20gig in ($150 was worth it to keep BC, they sent back my exact same unit all within 2 weeks and this was over thanksgiving too). I was going to take mine apart and do the YLOD fix, but since I found out that it was something you had to do every two months I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. As long as the unit isn't demolished inside they should fix it for the $150.

SixAxisRumble
    Sold my first PS3 which the Blu-Ray drive failed to the Irish Gypsy's!

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by bmatt View Post
    Confirming the above, my sticker was removed when I sent my launch 20gig in ($150 was worth it to keep BC, they sent back my exact same unit all within 2 weeks and this was over thanksgiving too). I was going to take mine apart and do the YLOD fix, but since I found out that it was something you had to do every two months I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. As long as the unit isn't demolished inside they should fix it for the $150.
    REALLY!? That is pretty sweet. I guess I will send mine in then and see what happens. I didn't do anything to it, and it's exactly the same as when I took it apart. Thanks guys. Might as well send it in then. It costs 190 with tax in Canada to get it fixed. I will either keep it, give it to a friend, and trade it in when I get it back.

I had heard if the sticker is removed you can't get it fixed by Sony, but this makes more sense since I am paying for it.

Apprentice
    Having sex with it, installed a flesh light in it, its the fatty of course, more to grab onto and its shiny surface is easy to clean!

Superior Member
    If you have one of the launch 60GB or 80GB models and they have died instead of paying the $150 for repair of the launch model Sony now gives you the option of replacing it with a 120GB model. You lose the BC and the extra USB ports but gain the extra GB. I know this because my 80GB died a few days ago and went for just getting the 120GB instead of them just fixing my old 80GB.

Apprentice

^^ Ya they offered me a different model, but I chose for mine back. I haven't sent it yet, cause I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but I think I am going to send it in the next week or two.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by T2OY View Post
    If you have one of the launch 60GB or 80GB models and they have died instead of paying the $150 for repair of the launch model Sony now gives you the option of replacing it with a 120GB model. You lose the BC and the extra USB ports but gain the extra GB. I know this because my 80GB died a few days ago and went for just getting the 120GB instead of them just fixing my old 80GB.
    They will offer you the slim ps3?

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Superior Member
    ^^ Ya they offered me a different model, but I chose for mine back. I haven't sent it yet, cause I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but I think I am going to send it in the next week or two.

Well, this is my second 80GB to be sent back in to Sony to be replaced so I'm going with the 120GB replacement. I've yet to put a PS2 game in it so I'm not losing anything EXCEPT the look. The slims IMO are just ugly and cheap looking I hate'em but I'm not trying my luck with another 80GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Yes, for I think it was $129 plus $23 shipping.

Apprentice
    Items PS3 Fat
    ^^ I COULD try, but I don't know what I am doing, and I don't have a heat gun (which is needed I believe) I obviously would do it if I could... but I guess if it's collecting dust, and I get the right tools, it's worth a shot.
    I got mine going again, if you take your time and don't rush it, you shouldn't have any troubles, Set aside a few hours. You can use a hairdryer instead of a heat gun, thats what I used. Get some good thermal paste, I used arctic silver 5. I really didn't expect it to work, but it did.

TwentyThree
    My launch 60 gig system is still alive, wonder if they will warranty it if one of these days it decides to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Megacamz View Post
    Having sex with it, installed a flesh light in it, its the fatty of course, more to grab onto and its shiny surface is easy to clean!

Superior Member
    REALLY!? That is pretty sweet. I guess I will send mine in then and see what happens. I didn't do anything to it, and it's exactly the same as when I took it apart. Thanks guys. Might as well send it in then. It costs 190 with tax in Canada to get it fixed. I will either keep it, give it to a friend, and trade it in when I get it back.

I had heard if the sticker is removed you can't get it fixed by Sony, but this makes more sense since I am paying for it.
    I just spoke to a Sony rep today 12/24 and they told me if the sticker was removed they would not repair it. I asked him twice, told me the same thing.
    I would call before I removed the sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Yes, that's what I called them about. My understanding of it is if you have the BC ps3 they will offer an exchange for a renewed ps3 slim. He wouldn't use the word refurbished, so I asked him how long the warranty was and it's 3 months so it's a refurb, by my definition.

I also asked if this was a limited time offer on exchange. I was told he didn't know it could be a few weeks offer or it will be this way for a long time. He didn't know.

So Sony fix
    $149.99 + shipping 29.00
    or exchange
    $119.99 + shipping 29.00

I'm going to negotiate exchanging my first edition 60gig for exchange on the slim for 1 year warranty. I have the upper hand because of the BC. BC worth more than extra gigs, I can always change out the HDD easier than they can make more BC ps3's. It's worth a shot.

I have to save up money first.

For those that need Sony's phone #
    800-345-7669

Have your model #
    and
    Serial # ready.
    Borderlands a great gaming experience

Thread Information