Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    I want to play this game soooo bad.
    My PSN is Henry33, add me!

Master Poster
    I would still give to Uncharted 2, only because i don't play games like Demon Souls. Just a difference of opinion on the GOTY!

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Awesome info! I might just rent it first, and see where to go from there.

Can you explain why?
    I guess I didn't give it a chance, since I was in bad day and DS can be kinda frustrating. I wasn't in a good mood and the game paid the consequences. I'll give it another try since most people explained to me what I was doing wrong, and that most people went through that process of frustration. I guess for DS one hour isn't enough of learning curve. I picked it on the wrong day.
    PLAYING: DRIVER SAN FRANCISCO, TEAM ICO HD COLLECTION, BF3 BETA.
    GETTING: UNCHARTED 3, BATTLEFIELD 3, TWISTED METAL, LAST GUARDIAN (RELASE DATE?)

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Thanks for the input.... I'm gonna try gamefly, and use this for a test lol.

TwentyThree
    Ummm the gameplay just doesn't convince me to buy it, so I'm going to rent the game instead of throwing 60 dollars at it.

Elite Member
    Seems like a hit or miss game. Very much interested in trying this out, but if it's a miss... Never been a fan of hard games, though.

i love the thread title. They wanted me to pay 50 to get it imported but no, thats too much
    PS3 - Madden10, MW2, U2:AT, F3:GOTY and inFamous
    360 - CoD4, Forza3, Borderlands, L4D2

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Muntu View Post
    Seems like a hit or miss game. Very much interested in trying this out, but if it's a miss... Never been a fan of hard games, though.
    It's not really that hard though, more unforgiving. I think if I started a new game now I could easily beat the game with less than 5 deaths.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Suley View Post
    This game needs to be released in Europe!!!
    do what we yanks did

Import it till Sony gets the bright idea that maybe it should also be released on your side of the pond aswell

Superior Member
    Short description on what you're faced with in Demon's souls:

You are Link, down to 2 hearts left.
    Every foe is an Armoured Skeleton with Shield or harder.
    You have the Energy Bar of a WoW lvl 1 Rogue
    Your side-jump, backward vault and rolls ALL drain about half of it
    Blocking drains said energy
    ATTACKING drains said energy
    And, at any time, another player (lower level though) can pop into your game, and attack you to kill you and get their body back. Or you can summon them to help you, also netting them their body back once the boss is dead.
    Same way around, if you're without a body, you can pop in at a higher lvl player, if you kill him, you get your body back, if he kills you, you lose half of your hard earned cash.
    You can also be dragged into another players game, help that player defeat a boss, and thus get your body back.

And the more times you die, the harder the game gets, the more bosses you kill without dying, the easier it gets. Note, this IS mostly a moot point, because you WILL die.

Apprentice
    STOKED this game has got the recognition it deserves, one the best choices i made this year was importing the game, though people who have yet to play the game, it is daunting and hard at first, however when finally understanding the mechanics, timing and the classic old school style gameplay it gets alot easier, just dont give up, is one of the best this gen

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seasons View Post
    Short description on what you're faced with in Demon's souls:

You are Link, down to 2 hearts left.
    Every foe is an Armoured Skeleton with Shield or harder.
    You have the Energy Bar of a WoW lvl 1 Rogue
    Your side-jump, backward vault and rolls ALL drain about half of it
    Blocking drains said energy
    ATTACKING drains said energy
    And, at any time, another player (lower level though) can pop into your game, and attack you to kill you and get their body back. Or you can summon them to help you, also netting them their body back once the boss is dead.
    Same way around, if you're without a body, you can pop in at a higher lvl player, if you kill him, you get your body back, if he kills you, you lose half of your hard earned cash.
    You can also be dragged into another players game, help that player defeat a boss, and thus get your body back.

And the more times you die, the harder the game gets, the more bosses you kill without dying, the easier it gets. Note, this IS mostly a moot point, because you WILL die.
    Sounds ****ing terrible!

lol, well I'm glad some people are really enjoying it. Sounds like it's very rewarding if you don't mind the crushing difficulty and skill it takes. Personally not my cup of tea.
    Living is easy with eyes closed.

Sic vita est...

Superior Member
    Well, alledgedly, it gets better. I have not played it, but based on what people have whined about, been excited about and gameplay vids, I have compiled that short "What's the gameplay all about?" list.

I will be getting it, sometime early next week swedish post allowing. Then I'll be gone from all social life for a few days, possibly toss a controller through a window, and after all that is over, I'll come with a review. I really ought to try and write something Review-ish. As a sidenote, despite him missing a few points and not quite getting into it, Yhatzee makes a rather good review of what the first few hours of Demon's Souls is like. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...1-Demons-Souls

Points worth noting:
    Yes, there is no Pause, BUT, if not in combat, and if outside range of creatures, you can just leave it there for hours on end.

He did not learn of the multiplayer features, only of the message system.

Also:
    Demon’s Souls is a game that will make you into a man. A scrawny fourteen-year-old, after two hours with this game, will be grooming his muttonchops and ready to ship off on the next boat to fight the Kaiser. If you are already a man, it will make you into some sort of bizarre double-man. What’s that you say? You’re a woman? You don’t want to be a man? Too bad. Too bad. That’s the Demon’s Souls way.

You’ve probably heard that Demon’s Souls is hard. Pshh. Lots of games are hard. Some are even harder than this one. The difficulty is not the point. What sets Demon's Souls apart is the way that it doesn't just kill you, but also stomps on your genitals when you’re down. And it will make you realize that that’s what you needed all along.

It’s a lot like life. Sometimes in life you win, and sometimes the giant armored skeleton stabs your face off because the flying mantis monster you didn’t even see shot you in the back with a spike at just the wrong time. And when that happens in life, do you respawn at the same spot and carry on like nothing happened? NO, *********. You go back to the beginning of the level, leaving all your hard-earned souls out there on the pavement, and you fight your way back. And you learn a lesson from the whole thing, because you should have been wearing your Thief’s Ring, now shouldn’t you? That’s life.

The trend in hard games these days is to unlock “Easy” mode for you once you’ve died enough times. Do you think Demon’s Souls does that? Do you think Demon’s Souls is so much as aware of the concept of “Easy” mode? NO IT IS NOT. If Demon’s Souls even knew we were talking about “Easy” mode, it would come over here and kick the ***** out of all of us. And we would deserve it.

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because ***** you is why.

Have I told you about the online elements? At any time when you’re in Body form, another player from anywhere else in the world can invade your game and murder you to regain his own body, or just to keep you on your toes. This happens when you’re in the middle of fighting armies of unthinkable monsters that are probably already three-quarters of the way towards killing you. And no, you cannot opt out of this feature! This is what you signed up for when you agreed to be a man.

When this happened to me -- when a guy strolled into my game like it was Taco Bell and exploded my torso, costing me my body and all my progress in the level -- was I mad? No, because I was too busy being in awe at how ******** hardcore the experience was.

Now, don’t let this dissuade you. Demon’s Souls is a pitiless master, but let it never be said that it is not fair. The game rewards handsomely those who stand up to it, and the greater the challenge, the greater the glory.
    What the hell are you waiting for?

Originally posted by, Ciserus

Superior Member
    Wait, no one told me Demon Soul's is a good game...
    God dang it what have I been missing out on?!
    PSN: BlackRainDrop

Veteran
    Wow.

PlayStation Domination for GOTY 2009. Even in the wake of games like Modern Warfare 2.

The biggest shocker: Hell hasn't frozen over yet.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Wow.

PlayStation Domination for GOTY 2009. Even in the wake of games like Modern Warfare 2.

The biggest shocker: Hell hasn't frozen over yet.
    Seriously, no offense in the least, but that whole everyone is out to get the PS3 mentality is in peoples heads here, it's just not true. I can come on here and praise Demon's souls and all is good, but if I defend the 360, which I love, than I'm a fanboy who's opinions are obviously totally biased. People should learn to be more open minded. Not saying you, just saying

Sublimely Static
    Wow, I am surprised. I really like DS. I didn't like Dragon age at first but now I am getting into it thanks to some interesting design choices they made. I still prefer Demon souls though.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixAxisRumble View Post
    Is it better than Dragon Age? I thought that game was awful!
    Well, I just traded Demon Souls for Dragon Age. I thought Demon Souls was so repetitive. I just don't see the appeal of it really. I tried to like it, but just didn't give me that fun I thought I would have.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Endgame77 View Post
    Seriously, no offense in the least, but that whole everyone is out to get the PS3 mentality is in peoples heads here, it's just not true. I can come on here and praise Demon's souls and all is good, but if I defend the 360, which I love, than I'm a fanboy who's opinions are obviously totally biased. People should learn to be more open minded. Not saying you, just saying
    No offense taken. I think there is some truth to the "cold shoulder", though. It isn't to say everyone is out to get PS3, but the media coverage in general has indeed looked less toward PS3 (there have also been a few threads pointing this out)...due to its disappointing performance in the past, I'm betting, so seeing the PS3 get top honors everywhere when it deserves it is a very interesting stroke of recognition that isn't seen often.

And if you defend the 360 here, I encourage you to go ahead. I don't think most people will smite you for it so long as you are being reasonable about it (if they have, well, I quess I just don't see it happen very much to a "fanboyish" extent). Quite a few people here I've noticed routinely defend the 360 and call out certain PS3 situations needing to step up to the competition.

Dedicated Member
    Rah rah rah!!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    I didn't like Dragon age at first but now I am getting into it thanks to some interesting design choices they made.
    Like how you can watch a girl on girl scene? Interesting indeed.
    "You're so young and curious aren't you? You just want to know it all, and taste it all, explore it all, be it all, dance with it all, suck it all don't you?"

You know I don't consider girls below a c-cup women.

Fister Roboto
    Awesome because I bought DS and I was absolutely in love with it, but I haven't gotten the chance to play it much

Still, I'm a bit shocked. It seems like everyone and their mother is in love with U2, and rightfully so. The SP campaign is terrific and the co-op is fantastic. Still, I think the competitive is average.

"The Secret Ingredient Is Phone"

Forum Sage
    I have a feeling DS is now going to be GOTY overall for Gamespot.

Thanks VENGEFUL_BLUR for the avatar and spyrde for the sig!

Cogito ergo sum. - "I think, therefore I am."

Dedicated Member
    Demon's Souls was definitely my GOTY. Been shouting its praises since February.

Master Guru
    Good to hear. I haven't played Demon's Souls yet. Mainly because i want to be sure i can invest the proper time into playing a vast RPG such as DS.

Just so many games so little time and they keep coming out!

Thread Information