Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

1up gives PS3 a grade of A for 2009

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager....=2&cId=3177390

Definitely a great year for the PS3.

When it comes time to look back on the life of the PlayStation 3, future game journalists will point to 2009 as the year the system finally found its groove. In some ways it has been a perfect storm of a year for Sony, one that saw a system redesign, an evolving suite of features, and a damn fine game lineup.

But the PS3's most important event can be summed up in three numbers: $299.

The Sales
    After years of hearing gamers and critics alike gripe about the system's huge price tag, Sony finally dropped the price of the PS3 below the $300 mark -- and redesigned the system in the process, making it smaller, quieter, and cooler. (That's temperature, not street cred, though the latter is perhaps debatable.) Since the September launch of the slimmed-down PS3, the system has sold almost twice as many as many units worldwide as in the same period last year, creating nearly 4 million in sales -- almost half the system's sales for the year. And for the first time, the PS3 has begun consistently outselling the Xbox 360 worldwide, by about a 3-to-2 margin.

But price is only half the equation. The PS3 also enjoyed newfound critical acclaim thanks to a superior lineup of exclusive games.

The Software
    Though a powerful year of multiplatform releases may not have benefited the PS3 as much as the more well-established 360, the system really came into its own this year with a ridiculously strong lineup of top-shelf exclusives.

Leading the way from a critical standpoint was Naughty Dog's almost universally praised Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. As a follow-up to a wholly entertaining -- but undeniably flawed -- adventure, Uncharted 2 improved on the original in pretty much every way. Our own Thierry "Scooter" Nguyen gave it a rare A+, saying, "Just as Raiders [of the Lost Ark] is Spielberg at the top of his game, Uncharted 2 is Naughty Dog at the top of theirs, and further proof that they are masters of their craft."

But Nathan Drake's blockbuster success shouldn't diminish strong showings from the rest of Sony's "second-party" developers, especially Killzone 2, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, and InFamous.

The PS3 also kept the flag waving for downloadable games and independent developers, no discussion of which would be complete without mentioning ThatGameCompany's beautiful Flower. This quiet, peaceful, oddball game renewed the "are games art?" debate in a big way.

And speaking of downloadable games, 2009 saw a dramatic increase in the availability of PSone Classics in the PlayStation Store, helping to chop away at Nintendo's lead in the lucrative old-games-on-new-systems market. Metal Gear Solid made a long-awaited appearance, as did the Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Medal of Honor, and Oddworld series.
    EDIT: Also....
    360 B
    Wii B
    PS2 C+
    PC B-
    DS A
    PSP C
    iPhone A-
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Master Poster
    Whats with all the kissing up to the PS3 lately?

Forum Sage
    1 truelly amazing game and a price cut. That's all you need really
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasimpse View Post
    1 truelly amazing game and a price cut. That's all you need really

Just one truly amazing game? I think we had more than just one!

Resistance 2
    KILLZONE 2
    inFAMOUS
    Ratchet and Clank ACIT
    Uncharted 2

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by FLASH48 View Post

Resistance 2
    KILLZONE 2
    inFAMOUS
    Ratchet and Clank ACIT
    Uncharted 2
    Yeah, this wasn't the PS3's year because of ONE game. Not even close.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by FLASH48 View Post

Resistance 2
    KILLZONE 2
    inFAMOUS
    Ratchet and Clank ACIT
    Uncharted 2
    To be honest, I only find one of those 'truly amazing' (Uncharted 2) and two others really good (Killzone 2 and Infamous).

R&C demo was alright and wasn't a fan of Resistance 2.

Not saying U2 was the ONLY reason for success, just that not everyone sees those as 'truly amazing'. In fact, my roommate, who only buys PS, has never played any of those games and I have other friends with PS3's who have played maybe 1 or 2 of those.

Veteran
    Oh snap, son. PS3 just schooled every other system.

iwantaps3dude
    PS2's still in the game oh yeeaa and PS3 is finally getting the credit it deserved

Forum Overseer

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    My best PS3 game was MW2 :P

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    My best PS3 game was MW2 :P
    I can vouch for your saying this!

Anyway! I have to agree with FLASH48 on this! What's up with all the PS3 *** kissing as of late? I thought it was DOOM3D?

Ultimate Veteran
    I would give the PS3 a soild A for 2009

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    great year for the ps3

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    I can vouch for your saying this!

Anyway! I have to agree with FLASH48 on this! What's up with all the PS3 *** kissing as of late? I thought it was DOOM3D?
    Yea I have a huge love-hate relationship with the game and I think I'm liking it more and more as I figure out the new way to play it (not the same as old MW).

Reason for ***-kissing is a simple reason: $$$

Now that PS3 is gaining momentum, they will get more hits from fanboys all around again.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Yeah it was a great year indeed.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Yea I have a huge love-hate relationship with the game and I think I'm liking it more and more as I figure out the new way to play it (not the same as old MW).

Reason for ***-kissing is a simple reason: $$$

Now that PS3 is gaining momentum, they will get more hits from fanboys all around again.
    Yep! Unfortunately, they can count on the majority of them to have short memory spans like the rest of the sheople population! Makes me wanna puke to be honest with you!

Veteran
    I can't believe the Wii got a B it deserves a C at best. And the Iphone got an A-??? It seems these aren't graded on the same standards. Iphone, when compared to other phones, is awesome for games but it doesn't come close to a DS or a PSP.
    I will say what needs to be said and take whatever consequences that carries.

Quote Originally Posted by edward_moffet View Post
    I can't believe the Wii got a B it deserves a C at best. And the Iphone got an A-??? It seems these aren't graded on the same standards. Iphone, when compared to other phones, is awesome for games but it doesn't come close to a DS or a PSP.
    Just curious. What iPhone games have you played?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Just curious. What iPhone games have you played?
    Recently I've played:

Cartoon wars gunner
    Nova
    Jelly car
    Tap Defense

Those are the ones I like best. I don't mean to say that the iphone/touch is BAD but it isn't a gaming device first and foremost, that's all. It has some good games on it but not like the DS or PSP, at least IMO. I love the Ipod touch, it's just not my first choice for handheld gaming.

Veteran
    *looks at list again*

LOL. C+?

Dude, PS2 should get an A just for being around in the first place.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    *looks at list again*

LOL. C+?

Dude, PS2 should get an A just for being around in the first place.
    When they are basing it on the year 2009, why should the years before count?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Ahh okay that makes more sense now for the Iphone at least, because the games have definitely improved. Still though I would say the wii is getting worse in terms of quality titles, look at metacritics data for instance, so I don't understand how they figure it got a B

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Eh, good point. I retract that statement.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by edward_moffet View Post
    I'll agree about the iPhone. Not that there aren't fun and simple games on it though. imo the luck of actual controls takes away the fun from many "core" titles. When I see a game emulating an analogue stick I don't even bother downloading it.

Soosiz is an example of a good game with controls that don't turn you off. Left, right and jump. Simple and fun. It just works.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    I'll agree about the iPhone. Not that there aren't fun and simple games on it though. imo the luck of actual controls takes away the fun from many "core" titles. When I see a game emulating an analogue stick I don't even bother downloading it.

Soosiz is an example of a good game with controls that don't turn you off. Left, right and jump. Simple and fun. It just works.
    Yeah, some of the game controls just don't work. But there are plenty that have done a great job. Civ: Revolution, Wolfenstein RPG, Underworld, Zenonia, Puzzle Quest, Nick Chase, and Dungeon Hunter are just a few I've tried that I had no problems with controls. After tweaking Doom, I finally was able to make the game playable, but it is still not perfect.

In a lot of ways, the iPhone is like the DS in that devs have to make games that cater to the controls. Elite Beat Agents would be a great game on the iPhone, for example. So would Final Fantasy III/IV. Looking forward to Trying GTA: Chinatown Wars on the iPhone.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post

Exactly, the iphone is fun and has a lot of good time killers, things I'd play in transit or waiting for a ride or whatever but psp and ds have games I can't wait to play you know what I mean? Games that I'd play even if there was something else to do. Iphone games are nice when you don't have anything better to do.

Thread Information