Master Guru

FPS Games and Perks

I always thought that the only perk you need to play an FPS is the experience you earn playing the game. You shouldn't receive another reward for playing it. Well, badges and ribbons are cool. That makes the game unbalanced for those who don't have enough time to play compared to those who spend the whole day playing a shooter.

I agree with every part of this post from a MAG thread:

Quote Originally Posted by GunTeng View Post
    I've basically stated my view on the annoyances & frustrations of the game already on another post.
    The only change to the game I would like to see is an inclusion of lean/peek ( but this game is the only one to date thatwill work as a tactical game without that) and that damn perk system.
    I hate perk systems..they unbalance a game in favour of those with the most playing time. Its completely unfair to newer players or those that play less and create a game where they have less chance to succeed & can reflect poorly on that game for those people.
    People who play competitive games want an equal chance to win.....perks destroy any notion of that. Granted, the perks don't go over-board like the glorified crap-fest of MW, but they still make an immense difference in a tactical game with so many people playing. Not to mention, how can you defeat a sniper in the opponents territory that has perks & is proceeding to wipe out your defending team? Its impossible without an equal sniper....this is impossible if he has perks for scopes etc & you don't. And the worst part is...assault rifles making sniper redundant at range....this is part of what makes MW such a p*ss poor game IMO and its happening here as well. This is why perks ruin games.
    I really like BF games, where you are rewarded for being a better player than the other, not for spending 24/7 in front of your TV or monitor.

What do you think? Are perks like MW2's ones fair?
    PLAYING: DRIVER SAN FRANCISCO, TEAM ICO HD COLLECTION, BF3 BETA.
    GETTING: UNCHARTED 3, BATTLEFIELD 3, TWISTED METAL, LAST GUARDIAN (RELASE DATE?)

Master Sage
    Agreed.

Although MAG is quite balanced TBH in the perk system.

And it doesnt make the assault rifles into snipers with extensive scopes like campfest MW2.

Distance and bullet damage is very well balanced as well, like in BFBC2 beta, you cant take out a sniper with an assault rifle even with optical scope unlike in MW2.

The biggest factor of this game being more tactical and less perk-centered could be the amount of players with mics.

ATM, not a lot of players use mics either they dont have it or they are not using it even when they have it.

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyaw View Post
    Agreed.

Although MAG is quite balanced TBH in the perk system.

And it doesnt make the assault rifles into snipers with extensive scopes like campfest MW2.

Distance and bullet damage is very well balanced as well, like in BFBC2 beta, you cant take out a sniper with an assault rifle even with optical scope unlike in MW2.

The biggest factor of this game being more tactical and less perk-centered could be the amount of players with mics.

ATM, not a lot of players use mics either they dont have it or they are not using it even when they have it.
    This is why I think Sony should add free headsets when buying this game because it is something you need for this.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    This is why I think Sony should add free headsets when buying this game because it is something you need for this.
    Yes, kinda like what they did with Socom.

I think it would be overall much better to bundle a headset with PS3 as well.

Apprentice
    Agreed as well, gives an unfair advantage to those who can play more than those who can't when the only advantage should be your own skills. Imagine how those people who can't buy fps games with perks day one feel when they buy it 2 months later and get demolished due to perk systems. As a friend of mine said, "whats the point of buying an fps when i have to put xx hrs to use a damn gun!"

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyaw View Post
    Yes, kinda like what they did with Socom.

I think it would be overall much better to bundle a headset with PS3 as well.
    I read somewhere there would be a bundle with mic. I just can't find it.
    PLAYING: DRIVER SAN FRANCISCO, TEAM ICO HD COLLECTION, BF3 BETA.
    GETTING: UNCHARTED 3, BATTLEFIELD 3, TWISTED METAL, LAST GUARDIAN (RELASE DATE?)

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Skill ceiling in most games released these days is lower than it ever was 10 years ago due to perks, ranksand the slow speed and because of these perks and ranks gamers have started to rely on them to gain the advantage over their enemies rather than putting effort into gaining any skill and yes COD modern warefare is the biggest culprit of this.

Elite Member
    i do agree with some of this ... its frustrating when you know you are better or get a shot on ... and then because of some perk they can avoid being killed or get you right back ... but then again ... if you are serious ... then why wouldn't you play and go up the scales?!

Platinum # 5 - AC2 !

Thread Information