Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

can sony rpgs compete with the new xbox360 rpgs

hello good day to you all, there are a number of exclusive rpgs coming out for xbox 360 which i saw on ign

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/716/716474p1.html

do you think that sonys traditional rpgs can compete with it or do they need new rpgs Ip,

Veteran
    If you ask me, traditional Sony RPGs just simply trump all the 360 has to offer.

I Won't Kill You, But I Don't Have To Save You

Tekken Elder
    Well as long as (mainly) Square continues supporting PS3 we are fine. Playstation has always had good RPGs.
    The NID syndrome, LMAO indeed:
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    And for somebody (labwarrior) to say Uncharted 2 graphics are "just passable" or "hardly next gen " is beyond unbelievable. LMAO

Elite Member
    Final Fantasy...do I need to say any more?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice
    Hahahaha I had to laugh when I saw this thread title, I'm sorry. But the real question is, can the new Xbox360 rpgs compete with Sony's rpgs?

Veteran
    Simple answer, umm well no.
    Resistance 2, KillZone 2, WarDevil, MGS4, God Of War 3, Final Fantasu XIII, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, and a alot more, how can 2008 not be the PS3's year.

Elite Guru

We haven't seen or heard about any of the PS3 RPG's besides Final Fantasy and Untold Legends. Those sort of games will come about with time, but hardly ever before launch unless its a major game like Final Fantasy or Blue Dragon on the 360.

We'll see. But the Playstation platform has been the home of all the great RPG's for a decade now. I don't see any reason for that to change this generation. I'm sure companies like Namco and Square and Level 5 are drooling over the possibilities.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Veteran
    Ooops I thought the thread stated can Xbox 360 RPGs compete with PS3 RPGs. My bad(I think I need to see the doctor).
    Resistance 2, KillZone 2, WarDevil, MGS4, God Of War 3, Final Fantasu XIII, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, and a alot more, how can 2008 not be the PS3's year.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakala
    Hahahaha I had to laugh when I saw this thread title, I'm sorry. But the real question is, can the new Xbox360 rpgs compete with Sony's rpgs?
    That's exactly what I was gonna say. We're seeing some new RPG series for the 360, but that's exactly what they are, unproven RPGs. Are they even going to be good? Lots of hype surrounding Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, for good reasons of course, but will they succeed or be overshadowed by the PS3's RPGs?

There's no doubt that PS3 will have its fine share of JRPGs, the question is how many of those will be spectacular/awesome/phenomenal games, and how many will be be average.

Mass Effect and Bioshock will most likely be better than any wrpg the ps3 gets for a long time but jrpgs are totally different styles of games, its kinda like comparing a football game to a tennis game both sports games but totally different to play.

Super Elite
    To bes honest...theres no way a jrpg on 360 will rake in sales as 1 FF game on ps3...fact

In the wjrpg...well 360 will probably have better...but hey its those jrpgs that do well in all teretories...not wjrpgs....
    LOSING-if at first you donít succeed failure may just be your style

Created by Legend Killer

Forum Overseer

Re: can sony rpgs compete with the new xbox360 rpgs

Quote Originally Posted by arif
    hello good day to you all, there are a number of exclusive rpgs coming out for xbox 360 which i saw on ign

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/716/716474p1.html

do you think that sonys traditional rpgs can compete with it or do they need new rpgs Ip,
    Hey arif, I think you meant to say the opposite in your thread title...let me fix that for you.

"can MS' new 360 rpgs compete with the kings of rpgs on PS3"

Hey don't thank me

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-smith
    Mass Effect and Bioshock will most likely be better than any wrpg the ps3 gets for a long time but jrpgs are totally different styles of games, its kinda like comparing a football game to a tennis game both sports games but totally different to play.
    Well, considering that Bioshock is coming for PS3 too...

Now playing: PSP: Persona 3 Portable (3)DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D PS3: deBlob 2 PC: The Witcher 2
    Next In Line: Ghost Trick
    Recently Finished:

Phading Reality
    Items Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakala
    I was gonna say the same thing. I think PS3 rpg's will blow 360 rpg's out of the water but it also depends on personal preference.

Ahead of the Game
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippo
    Exactly.

Is this thread some kind of sick joke?

Superior Member

well one FF will outsell all of them simple as then maybe we'll get another star ocean that'll probably outsell as well..... the maybe we'll get a chrono trigger that will outsell em all and thats just what square-enix have to offer xbox 360 will not win the rpg war this decade and probably not the next if sony can hold square

Master Sage
    No I really doubt it.
    Sig by Phaded
    _______
    NINJA HAWKS

Dedicated Member
    Being a huge RPG fan, its not the big name Final Fantasy's that makes the Playstation the console to buy for me. Its the numerous other RPG series that I like.

Breath of Fire, Star Ocean, Suikoden, Kingdom Hearts, Arc the lad, Legend of Mana, Dragon Quest, Shadow Hearts, Grandia, Disgaea and the Tales series. That doesn't include the one shot RPGs like Radiata Stories and Magna Carta and numerous others.

Its these types of games I'm looking forward to mostly on the PS3. I cant wait for TGS, I hope they announce lots of these RPGs. Its what makes the Playstation the number one in my book.

Forum Sage
    I would have to say that yes, Sony can trump the 360 with its own RPGs, with such games as Final Fantasy XIII, Versus XIII, Kingdom Hearts, Shadow Hearts, Disgaea, etc. While the 360 got a not so great game of Final Fantasy XI, which you have to Pay-to-Play, Too Human is supposed to be wonky with camera and slowdowns-galore, Mass Effect, meh, and BioShock is coming the PC, so no worries here.

Thanks VENGEFUL_BLUR for the avatar and spyrde for the sig!

Cogito ergo sum. - "I think, therefore I am."

Elite Guru
    Most of those aren't even real RPGs. They are either action-adventure RPGs or first person shooters.

Only PS3 has true RPGs for the likes of me who love menu browsing more than killing anything that moves. Most Xbox games are too violent or "mature" for my taste. When I want to play games, I don't want to become some serial killer, I just wanna PLAY a game.
    "and I mean If he doesn't like you after he sees this, then you're just gonna have to go back home and put some more make up on."

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGG
    If you ask me, traditional Sony RPGs just simply trump all the 360 has to offer.
    Really now? I wouldn't rush to make a statement like that. Games such as KOTOR and Jade Empire were legendary this past generation, even Morrowind. Now there is Oblivion which has a strong Xbox 360 and PC community and the upcoming Mass Effect trilogy will probably be some of the better RPGs this generation. Don't get me wrong, traditional RPGs are great but the modern types are really making a name for itself.

Companies like Square-Enix isn't going to be able to crush through the competition like they did in the 90s. People want change and new ideas, games such as Mass Effect/Oblivion which gives you more freedom, options, features, game length than most other traditional RPGs is what people goes for.

Quote Originally Posted by G_H_G
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippo
    Exactly.

Is this thread some kind of sick joke?
    Final Fantasy doesn't have the same aura as it did back in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear Shenyu
    Most of those aren't even real RPGs. They are either action-adventure RPGs or first person shooters.

Only PS3 has true RPGs for the likes of me who love menu browsing more than killing anything that moves. Most Xbox games are too violent or "mature" for my taste. When I want to play games, I don't want to become some serial killer, I just wanna PLAY a game.
    Not real RPGs? I guess you have never played Oblivion which has deep menu browsing. Just because it isn't traditional, doesn't make it less of a RPG.

You know what, I'm just going to try to stay clear of this thread because I can already sense the tone of this thread. Most people in this thread is already hardcore sony fanboys who believes the whole industry revovles around anything that is PS1, PS2, or PS3. There is no use to getting to you people, most of you all already have your mind made up with a pre conceptive idea which is If it isn't for Sony, it isn't for me attitude. The PS3 will have some great RPGs, but that doesn't mean that Oblivion or even Mass Effect or other Xbox 360 RPGs aren't working enough. It is all that same fanboy attitude because I bet that if Mass Effect were to be a PS3 game, most of you all would praise it.

Enjoy viewing the gaming industry with tunnel vision.
    PSU.com Staff: Tyrell S. Jackson

Master Sage
    Oblivion gets so boring quick
    Sig by Phaded
    _______
    NINJA HAWKS

Veteran
    We all know that the PS3 will be the king of RPGs. There is no way around it.

Elite Member
    true true...Final Fantasy X shouldn't even be mentioned along side VII...nor should it be in the same class as VIII...and dare I say, even IX was better...yes, yes it was.

Final Fantasy X-2 was a mistake...I'm just going to say it...why SE...why would you do that to us? And you had to complete 100% to get the actual good ending, which unless you had a stradegy guide (boo!!!!!!!!!) you couldn't get 100% anyways.

Same goes with FFXI, if you can even consider that an actualy Final Fantasy.

Point taken, Final Fantasy is DEFINITLY not the Final Fantasy of the 90s.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice

Hippo, just so you know I don't have anything personal against you even if I disagree with your posts.

FFX should be mentioned alongside FVII. Even though FFX didn't have the scope of FFVII, it had better combat, more consistant artistic style, voice (It may have not been the best, but I sure enjoyed it better than just text. Anyone who says they prefer to use their imagination should go write a book if their imagination is that good), and better leveling system. Most of the music that wasn't done by Nobuo was also great. And using the chibi's in the FMV in FVII? That took all the seriousness out of it for me, I'm sorry. And personally I like linear stories, but that's personal taste so I'm not citing that.

And don't say [spoiler:6372eaaafa]Aeris dying[/spoiler:6372eaaafa] was revolutionary, because at least TWO people die for you in FFIV, and that was on the SNES.

I'm also, curious, which FF game did you play first? I've heard it's usually the first FF that people play is the one that's their favorite.

Thread Information