Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    ard master

sony only being critisized for price

It seems that the only reason sony is in hot water is because of the high price of the ps3. I have never seen the ps3 be critisized for anything other then it's price. It seems like the reporters need to speculate the ps3's price. So why just sony? Are they an easy target? I know the price is high but I don't think it's high enough to get the attention it's getting right now.
    I'm not saying conspiracy but there are a lot of people who would like to see the ps3 flop.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    HTK
    The price fits the technology.

Sony took a risk, didnt want to keep doing same thing over and over. So they took a risk and people hatin cause its gonna end up succeeding.

Superior Member

Re: sony only being critisized for price

Quote Originally Posted by ard master
    It seems that the only reason sony is in hot water is because of the high price of the ps3. ... So why just sony?
    Because Sony's prices are not only higher than the competition, but higher than people are willing to pay

Elite Guru

How do you know they are higher then people are willing to pay? Doesn't that end up in the hands of the consumers when given the choice on November 17th?

I'll make a bet with you that Sony sells each of the first 4 million consoles by the end of 2006 they plan on having on store shelves.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Re: sony only being critisized for price

Quote Originally Posted by ard master
    So why just sony?
    I'd say its because they are in the number spot with their PS2. Which makes reporters want to say something on Sony. The price right now is higher than the competitors. Which is something big to talk about for the consumers.

Pots n' Pans Robot
    The only other thing I see people "complain" about and criticize Sony for is "I don't care about HD movies, why should I have to pay for a Blu-Ray drive if im not going to be watching HD movies?"

Well, the drive is there as a standard not ONLY for the hd movies but for the HD GAMES THAT YOU WILL BE PLAYING as well.

Also, everyone needs to keep in mind that the only people expressing their opinion on the PS3 price are the people that go online and choose to do so via forums, blogs, and/or surveys. I have not seen a single survey done on the street to the average joe, much less one that has had a very large number of people surveyed in order to get somewhat accurate results. Basing how well the PS3 will do by what people in the xbox and ps3 forums are talking about isn't saying much seeing as a lot of people don't have internet, a lot of people don't use the internet to get any news/etc. about games, and a lot of people don't even get on forums because they see it as "nerdy". After you filter out all of those people you are left with a small number, which is hardly useable for any sort of reference as to how the PS3 will do.

To better get an idea of how well the PS3 will do, look back at the PS2. Many of the average joe's, people without internet or access to game news/etc. bought the PS2 in a frenzy only for the fact that it was the next Playstation: that's all.

The numbers should be similar as far as the launch frenzy goes but how well these average joe's will go beyond 2007 is subject to both how long Sony can keep us riding the PS3 hype wave and how SOON they can lower the price. I think as long as Sony keeps expanding the PS3's capabilities through firmware updates and does their very best to promote/market/advertise all of the non-gaming features then the PS3 could slowly start sliding toward what it really is: a computer, not just a game console.
    Kevin Levine on Bioshock PS3: "...we’re not talking about any other versions right now."

Superior Member

I find it ridiculous that people are bagging on Sony. Here is a company that is trying to advance the industry further by giving a system a totally new processor and advanced disc reader and wifi and hi def and people are complaining. All MS ever does is provide a mediocre product and then market the bejesus out of it and strong arm retailers and computer makers to adopt their product line. What is so great and cutting edge about the 360? It has an old-gen DVD reader, the games are not very good, and it is nothing to get excited about. My PC is better.

Sony and Nintendo should be congratulated for trying to do something new and different. I can see the frustration with the PS3 price, but at least juxtapose that against the company's desire to advance gaming to new levels. These journalists can't possibly be gamers. They should be salivating over the potential of the PS3 and not fixated on its price.
    Signature Under Construction

Elite Guru
    ps3 is going to be a great system bu $500-$600 is alot. i dont care about blue-ray movies. i am getting my ps3 when assasin creed comes out around march 2007 or when ffxiii comes out dec 2007

Consoles i own : ps2 xbox360 Ps3 Wii psp
    Wanna see what i look like www.facebook.com/laoman

ard master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar
    I find it ridiculous that people are bagging on Sony. Here is a company that is trying to advance the industry further by giving a system a totally new processor and advanced disc reader and wifi and hi def and people are complaining. All MS ever does is provide a mediocre product and then market the bejesus out of it and strong arm retailers and computer makers to adopt their product line. What is so great and cutting edge about the 360? It has an old-gen DVD reader, the games are not very good, and it is nothing to get excited about. My PC is better.

Sony and Nintendo should be congratulated for trying to do something new and different. I can see the frustration with the PS3 price, but at least juxtapose that against the company's desire to advance gaming to new levels. These journalists can't possibly be gamers. They should be salivating over the potential of the PS3 and not fixated on its price.
    Your saying exactly what I was thinking. The reporters almost never see the huge bright side of the ps3 and only focus on its one downfall the price. Is there really no reason for there one sided-ness. I see the ps3 as a expensive machine but I look at all it's features and I start drooling, but all I ever seem to see are comparisons of the price to the 360 and the Wii but almost never what you get for your money is compared.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    When I look at Oblivion, then look at Assassin's Creed, I can tell what the way to go is.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    I'm a big Sony fan but, Sony really isn't doing much chaning with the new console. Yeah a new HD-DVD type player and, cell processor and, things like that really isn't changing anything. The wii on the other is actually changing the way you do play games. But, I will still get a PS3 I don't care about the price it really does fit the technology put up in there. I've always said on other sites like EGM that the PS3 would be atleast $600-$700 dollars.

Also Once you think about the PS3 isn't that expansive it could have cost more. I'd say we'd best be lucky it doesn't cost as much as a Very Good HD-TV. Which cost about $2000 cause PS3 could get that price easily.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein
    When I look at Oblivion, then look at Assassin's Creed, I can tell what the way to go is.
    Yeah, me too, I go with the game that's been proven to be good. Remember all the Chromehounds hype, and now everyone's saying it kinda sucks? Oblivion has been proven to be awesome. I go for the sure thing.
    Currently playing- PSYCHONAUTS! Great game. Thinking about upgrading to next-gen maybe in 2010, because I only got my Xbox at the end of last year.

Always keep your words soft and mellow, for tomorrow you may have to eat them.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofallpie
    Yeah, me too, I go with the game that's been proven to be good. Remember all the Chromehounds hype, and now everyone's saying it kinda sucks? Oblivion has been proven to be awesome. I go for the sure thing.
    Not everybody thinks Oblivion is awesome bud(some find it repetitive and boring with bad graphics). Every person is entitled to their own opinion I guess.
    Resistance 2, KillZone 2, WarDevil, MGS4, God Of War 3, Final Fantasu XIII, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, and a alot more, how can 2008 not be the PS3's year.

Elite Member
    What about when you look at Fight Night Round 3 or Ghost Recon...and then compare it to a pre-rendered movie...hmmm?

I'm fully willing to accept that the PS3 is a better system, heck, I know it is...I'll say it, "Fact, Sony is a better system." But, it is not 2x better, its not 1.5x better, heck, its more like 1.05x better." Some people are acting like the PS3 graphics are going to be greatly better than the Xbox 360. Sorry guys, not going to be the case.

If you're buying the PS3 because you believe its going to have noticably better graphics than the Xbox 360, then you are going to be greatly disappointed. That is as much fact as saying the PS3 is the better system. The systems are both very similar in terms of power, but yes, the PS3 is more powerful. But, just cause it is more powerful, doesn't gauge how more powerful it actually is. And the answer to that is simply, not by much.

Last I checked, I'm getting a PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII, not because the lighting will be slightly better than that of the XBox 360...give me a break.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Arimax
    I'm a big Sony fan but, Sony really isn't doing much chaning with the new console. Yeah a new HD-DVD type player and, cell processor and, things like that really isn't changing anything. The wii on the other is actually changing the way you do play games. But, I will still get a PS3 I don't care about the price it really does fit the technology put up in there. I've always said on other sites like EGM that the PS3 would be atleast $600-$700 dollars.

Also Once you think about the PS3 isn't that expansive it could have cost more. I'd say we'd best be lucky it doesn't cost as much as a Very Good HD-TV. Which cost about $2000 cause PS3 could get that price easily.
    And with all this said, the PS3 is still the better console, while the Wii is just for those who want excercise. Changing the way I play games? How does that even matter when the basic action on screen is the same?

What are you talking about though? The price has been announced. Where have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by Hippo
    What about when you look at Fight Night Round 3 or Ghost Recon...and then compare it to a pre-rendered movie...hmmm?

I'm fully willing to accept that the PS3 is a better system, heck, I know it is...I'll say it, "Fact, Sony is a better system." But, it is not 2x better, its not 1.5x better, heck, its more like 1.05x better." Some people are acting like the PS3 graphics are going to be greatly better than the Xbox 360. Sorry guys, not going to be the case.

If you're buying the PS3 because you believe its going to have noticably better graphics than the Xbox 360, then you are going to be greatly disappointed. That is as much fact as saying the PS3 is the better system. The systems are both very similar in terms of power, but yes, the PS3 is more powerful. But, just cause it is more powerful, doesn't gauge how more powerful it actually is. And the answer to that is simply, not by much.

Last I checked, I'm getting a PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII, not because the lighting will be slightly better than that of the XBox 360...give me a break.
    Maybe some of us already own a x360, and we're buying a PS3 because not only do we prefer Sony and their consoles, we also prefer the games coming out for the system?

Also, it all depends on the developers if the games looks much greater than they do on the Xbox360. Even with your little essay, games will look better on the PS3, so that's a ''noticable'' difference in graphics right there. How does a game looking better on the PS3 not mean it'll have noticably better graphics?

Some games might even look better on the X360, but that's (again) up to the developers. But don't expect multiplatform games to look better on the x360 no matter how talented the team working on the X360 version are.

Super Elite
    Items Atari
    People naturally like to focus on the vunerabilities of a champion. Why do people pick on Jeter or A-Rod (Besides the fact they are on the dreaded Yankees), is that they are the best, and people love to watch a hero fall. Also, when someone jacks up the price, people get vocal. Money is a very tender spot, and people love it. Not to mention that money is neccesary for people to live and function in today's society, so they want to part with as little of it as possible on a video game machine. Its psychology, not a conspiriacy. Humans are culturally and psychologially predisposed to prey on this fact.
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

Mother Focker they need to be criticized about the price because next next generation they will make a big increase and you dumb chits will be saying oh its the technology that makes the PS4 a 1000$. Nobody asked for Blu-ray even though it could flop maybe it will come out on top nobody knows, but Sony is taking a big chance with it because it could come to be just like Betamex, More advanced but not enough support and production cost was to high.

Forum Sage
    Jezz, this will become a flame war a little later. Heard of the saying "more bang for your buck" that implements on the ps3. Butt-loads of technology in one kinda huge and heavy (est. of 5 kgs.) box.
    tfw you want to use signatures you made that are saved in DA but this place still have a signature size limitations after all these years
    lol

Elite Member
    I've seen Sony critisised for...

'Stealing the idea of motion sensing from the Wii'
    'No Rumble'
    'High Price'
    'Stealing ideas of xbox live'
    'Showing too many pre-rendered movies'
    'Using the system to promote Blu-Ray too much'
    'Forcing technology onto customers'
    'Uncatchy name (of xbox live arcade copy): Playstation E-Distribution Initiative'

There's been a lot of critisism of Sony; and it isn't just over the price.

BTW I'm not saying i agree with ^^, it's just what people and journalists have said.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Cru3L!
    Read the damn rules. No making post under 5 words.

-_-
    hmmm alot of people are saying they are forcing blue-ray onto us. thats why it is bad. honestly i dont really care i mean it makes it better. also it's not as if ken kutagari is holding a gun to me head and saying"here is blue-ray accept it or die"

edit: oh and this is my first post how come my sig doesn't show up

Elite Guru
    The SONY slating began with the price.
    Then people started on Blu-Ray as that was relevant to the price.
    From that it went to other hardware uses ( or non-uses as some elements were dropped).

You have to laugh though. All these morons complain about the price & when SONY states the launch of two SKU's & the removal of a HDMI port etc to keep the price as low as possible, people complain about their loss.
    I mean come on. What the hell do they want?
    A high-tech console with a price tag, or a cheap console that does not go far enough where ability is concerned.

These people that complained about these things are a joke. They want everything for free & they want it now. Kids.
    The simple fact of life in all situations is that you get what you pay for.
    So unless the PS3 is woefully underpowered, blows up or has some other hardware flaw, then it will be well worth what you pay for it.
    If you don't want everything on it, then don't buy it...simple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Video games dont Affect Kids.
    If Pacman had affected us as Kids,
    We'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching Magic pills
    and Listening to repetitive, Electronic music

Elite Member
    edit: oh and this is my first post how come my sig doesn't show up
    Earn 150 skill points by posting.

Then buy the right to display your avatar from 'The Shop'.

Veteran
    Well before the price issue people would post random threads about how they hardware will be defective, and such so i guess now they just have something that is fact to go on. I think if people don't like the price don't buy one and stop complaining. Seriously what do people hope to achieve by complaining sony's not changing the price so people need to accept it and start saving.

like.no.other
    Quote Originally Posted by Defuser
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru3L!
    Read the damn rules. No making post under 5 words.
    A picture says a thousand words!

Not much more to add really to what's already been said. When it comes down to it, pretty much the only thing people complain about is the price, either directly or indirectly. Blu-ray isn't just there for movies, it's there for allowing larger storage capacity for the games - it's part of the PS3s design, not an optional extra.

If SONY had turned around and said it was going to be $399 for a 20Gb model with HDMI, the response would have been quite the opposite. "Wow, for the same money as a Premium Xbox 360 I can have a Blu-ray player and CELL graphics!" instead of, "Why should I be forced to pay extra for Blu-ray?"

People just need to get over it, and either not buy one, accept the price as it is and get one at launch, or save up and wait. Either way, the PS3 is what it is, it costs what it costs, and I think for what you are getting, it's extremely good value for money.
    Phat boy gone slim!

Thread Information