Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

HOWTO: Play Roms on PS3...THE EASY WAY!

ATTENTION: What the Zerogame Project does is give you a graphical interface to play all your roms (NES, SNES, MAME, GEN, SEGA CD and more)..it does all the work for you so you just have to do the install.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SI-cuiOS6Y"]Sonic CD running on PS3[/ame]
    If anyone asked this question about a year ago..it was out of the question for "noobs". You see people on youtube putting discs in and pulling discs out making it a big pain to even attempt. Well now there is a solution..it takes a few hours for this entire process but it is WELL worth it!
    It seems like alot to take in but this is really EASY! If you don't feel like reading all of this basically what we are doing is installing Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 and then installing The Zerogame Project! Enjoy..cause I've been looking for something like this for a loooong time and I finally found it..it took hours of searching but eventually I found this little gem. You can find many tutorials on google on how to install YDL on your ps3 but I just did it so I decided to type up my own.

First off your going to need a FAT ps3 that can support linux!
    -A USB Keyboard
    -A USB Mouse
    -And a USB stick (If you wanna back everything up)
    STEP 1
    So click HERE and download Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 (When complete burn as an image to DVD)
    STEP 2 (Optional but recommended)
    As this is downloading your going to want to backup all your files on your ps3!
    (Settings>System Settings>Backup Utility)
    STEP 3
    Once the backup completes you need to FORMAT your ps3 with the following options:
    (Settings >System Settings>Format Utility>Format Hard Disk)
    -Custom
    -Allot 10GB to other OS
    Before you do that make sure you backed it up because after this you are going to lose EVERYTHING! ALSO TAKE THE USB STICK OUT OF THE PS3 BEFORE YOU FORMAT!
    Now the formatting will start..you may want to do this when you leave for the day or goto bed because this takes a couple of hours (3-6hrs depending on your HDD size).
    After the format is complete press X to restart the system.
    STEP 4 (If you followed step 2..if not proceed to step 5)
    Now you can restore your files
    (Settings >System Settings>Backup Utility>Restore)
    STEP 5
    So now that you have your saves and memory cards back its time to install YDL 6.2
    Insert the YDL6.2 disc that you just made into the ps3 and goto:
    (Settings>System Settings>Install Other OS)
    It will say something along the lines of OS Found...otheros..either way press X and something will be installed quickly and some instructions will come up.
    Now you goto (Settings>System Settings>Default System) and click OTHER OS (Plug Keyboard and mouse in at this time)
    The PS3 will then reboot into a dos like stage and say a bunch of random lines of code. At the end it will stop and just say "KBoot:"
    Now you can do this a few different ways..
    You can either just press ENTER and it will install..or you can specify which type of tv you have with the following codes:
    install_ps3_1080p (Full HD)
    install_ps3_1080i
    install_ps3_720p
    install_ps3_480i
    Obviously you don't need the FULL HD in brackets.
    Then just follow the on screen commands to install linux..The rest of this tutorial is going to take place on THE ZEROGAME PROJECT website.
    I take no credit for the zerogame project..A great person by the nickname ZeroJay was nice enough to take his time and make this script for us! It is still not at the official v1.0 release yet so there is some bugs that are being worked out..and its people like you and me that need to bring any errors to his attention! To help you can make donations on the website for his hardwork. Without this guy we would not be talking about this right now and still be in the dark about the ps3 capabilities. Somebody told me that your not allowed to install linux on your ps3 but yet I find it funny that they give you the option to do so..Don't flame me or the zerogame project..if you don't like it good for you but you don't need to bring us down with your :gta:childish hate.
    Thanks for your time everyone..If this has helped anyone at all then it was well worth my time writing this all out! Enjoy and happy retro gaming everyone!!

Whiiiiiite Liiiiies....Bloooooodshoooot EYEEEES!!!!!

Veteran
    Well know info for quite some time now.
    PSU Linux section. Enjoy your stay.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

BTW, How come the Linux section doesn't show under PS3 Discussion anymore?
    It isn't just me that it isn't there for is it?
    I actually had to go into my profile list of old subscriptions to get to it because it isn't listed under the PS3 Discussion area anymore..........
    Atleast not for me.............. XD
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Well know info for quite some time now.
    PSU Linux section. Enjoy your stay.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

BTW, How come the Linux section doesn't show under PS3 Discussion anymore?
    It isn't just me that it isn't there for is it?
    I actually had to go into my profile list of old subscriptions to get to it because it isn't listed under the PS3 Discussion area anymore..........
    Atleast not for me.............. XD
    It was removed almost the instant Sony announced the Slim would not have OtherOS option. If you have been following the Feedback and Suggestions, Seb is very keen on reducing the number of topic areas, apparently to make the forum page look "cleaner", so that is one they chopped almost immediately.

On this topic, it is really approaching the idiocracy level. There are these swarms of people saying how great it would be if the PS3 could be hacked for MAME, emulators, homebrew, and like you said, it could do that under Linux without needing to be hacked.

This whole "wow, look how much better if the PS3 was cracked, then it could do all the things a low end PC could do like a Wii emulator, a Sega emulator, a NES emulator, MAME, a PS1 emulator, all kinds of ROMS and homebrew". Ummmm, why not just get a low end PC if these things are so important?
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    On this topic, it is really approaching the idiocracy level. There are these swarms of people saying how great it would be if the PS3 could be hacked for MAME, emulators, homebrew, and like you said, it could do that under Linux without needing to be hacked.

This whole "wow, look how much better if the PS3 was cracked, then it could do all the things a low end PC could do like a Wii emulator, a Sega emulator, a NES emulator, MAME, a PS1 emulator, all kinds of ROMS and homebrew". Ummmm, why not just get a low end PC if these things are so important?
    Idiocracy level? The only thing approaching the idiocracy level was your post. Why the **** would I go buy a laptop (which I already have) to play roms on? Bigmerk you are aware that the playstation PLAYS GAMES...right?
    What the Zerogame project has done is given us a full graphical emulation system just like xbox has had since the original! So I would much rather play a MAME game on my ps3 with my dualshock on my 42" tv and not a laptop.
    And one last thing..thanks for reading my post..apparently you missed the part about not flaming..just keep your comments to yourself if you have nothing useful to say.

Veteran
    He's not aiming at you. He's on about people that want the PS3 hacked so they can do what you can already do with a bit of YDL and a few hours.
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Think I might install YDL again, not tried it for a while so there should be some new stuff to experience.

P.S Me playing Quake 2 on YDL 6
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5hR32lcrYM"]YouTube- Quake 2 on PS3 using YDL 6[/ame]

Apprentice
    Haha ok..thats better then. I'm just trying to spread the word about this great project. Sorry to burst out at you then Bligmerk!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by acidtw3ak View Post
    Haha ok..thats better then. I'm just trying to spread the word about this great project. Sorry to burst out at you then Bligmerk!
    Well, I didn't quite get what you were referring to either, since your subject title ended with ? after far-fetched and things like this used to be in the PS3 Linux subforum all the time. In fact, there is now a Wii Dolphin emulator now for Ubuntu, so I kind of was wondering what the big deal was, thinking it was something about the PS3 needing to be hacked again.

The OtherOS was dropped from the Slim, so yeah, it takes a phatty to do this. I wasn't referring to a laptop specifically but I have come to the conclusion it doesn't really make a lot of sense to do all this stuff with the PS3 unless money is really tight. I have come to the conclusion it is better to have a beefed up HTPC with a high-end graphics card with HDMI out plus a dualshock driver and huge hard drive space to just pile all this stuff on like MAME, emulators, media as well as playing full games. It is kind of a challenge to do as much as possible with the PS3 but after awhile, the results are not totally satisfying. I am waiting for the i7 Gulftown plus Fermi GF100 to build this HTPC, probably later this year.

Master Poster

thats awesome!!!

since I have a 40gb PS3 w/ a BR drive that doesnt work, I just might try this

PSN ID/Live GT: Evoking1230

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    It was removed almost the instant Sony announced the Slim would not have OtherOS option. If you have been following the Feedback and Suggestions, Seb is very keen on reducing the number of topic areas, apparently to make the forum page look "cleaner", so that is one they chopped almost immediately.

Ahhh IC IC. I havn't been on as much as I used to be, but due to work being extrememly slow I've been on more often as of late. The the forum section is still there tho.... Just cant get to it unless you previously posted in it or do a search. Oh well. Not a big lose. Just less posts for me explaining how to do this or do that. =P

I agree with you to a degree. I agree that I wouldn't like to see the PS3 OS cracked for whatever reasons people say they have but I would like for it to be hacked and more accessible from within Linux itself. We do not have full access to the system still. I want to see and create my own homebrew on the PS3 specifically using the Cell and RSX amongst other thing I would like to be able to do with Linux on my PS3 that is possible but we are unable to do because we are locked out of the hardware. Full Cell and RSX support within linux would make me not care at all about the PS3 being cracked, but alas, we dont currently have either.

How many lowend PCs do you know with a Cell processor?

Quote Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
    so where a good site to get these roms?

I USED to have a whole bunch of SNES roms(I think theyre on my ancient desktop in a storage closet somewhere, Ill see if those work)
    Due to legality issues, I don't believe this allowed on these forums.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Elite Member
    seems kind of pointless to me cant you already run these roms on ur pc? Psp thats a different story u can carry it in ur pocket but a ps3 why bother?
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

excellent thread! thanks acidtw3ak for bringing this to my attention becuase i didnt even know. Ive always toyed with the idea of installing linux but never did. I will now! lol
    [SIGPIC]http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=196590&dateline=12571 03452[/SIGPIC]I live capriciously...

Apprentice
    It might have been a nifty idea... but I already have all of these emulators (plus more) running from my laptop. HDMI to my Bravia, dual shock 3 connected through the laptop, and away I go. I don't want to tinker with my 60GIG.
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out." - Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I'll just use my PC for roms, no point installing linux on my PS3.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post

Due to legality issues, I don't believe this allowed on these forums.
    oh yea, sorry...I'll delete my post

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    No discussing ROMs....

5. No Warez - Posting up and asking for illegal warez is strictly prohibited. This includes but is not limited to: ROMs, isos, and game cracks. Violation of this Rule will usually result anywhere from a Warning to a Ban, depending on the offence.
    LMAO

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    It might have been a nifty idea... but I already have all of these emulators (plus more) running from my laptop. HDMI to my Bravia, dual shock 3 connected through the laptop, and away I go. I don't want to tinker with my 60GIG.
    Yes, that is exactly the point. It is way easier to do this and more with the PC, plus the PC hardware is becoming more console-like environment friendly. After fiddling with this stuff for years, I have come to the conclusion it is just more workable and effective, although more costly, to build a loaded, really high end HTPC and use that for media, emulators, ROMS, full hi-res PC games, Linux, homebrew, etc. with the HDTV as the main display. I use a lapboard from the couch for the wireless keyboard and mouse and it is not that big of a deal. Just set it to the side when not in use and who cares if it looks dorky, there isn't some TV camera in the living room watching me. It works and the dualshock drivers are there for controller type stuff. This is a better one than I am using:

If people have some kind of $300 limit on just one platform, then that is kind of sad but understandable.

Elite Member
    i think it was stupid to remove the linux forum...there are more fat users then slim i mean what was the point of that....to me that was dumb.

im a big linux user aswell and love YDL6.2 on the ps3 very amazing mini pc and blow any OC duel core out the water for h.264 encoding..

i run these roms aswell preety awesome to the people say why run linux on a ps3..um why not lol..its preety awesome as a mini pc..and it outperforms a duel for for me encoding wise. not to mention it renders raw files with amazing speed gotta love that CBE.
    VPCEB17FX Bose Companion System
    50' SXRD XBR2 & DAV-HDX274 Theatre
    PS3 320GB & 500GB & PSP GO 32GB

Master Poster
    Items LiverpoolModern Warfare 3
    I got excited till I seen format

No way am I backing up and formatting my 320gb HDD It's got over 100gb of stuff on it haha

"Raise your weapon, one word and it's over"

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny2304 View Post
    I got excited till I seen format

No way am I backing up and formatting my 320gb HDD It's got over 100gb of stuff on it haha
    it takes 5 to 10 mines to back up your stuff not to mention you can cross transfer...ihave a 320hdd and a 500hdd it i installed linux and was up with everything in about 30 mins

Master Poster

ok heres a stupid question...at Kboot, I typed in install_ps3_1080i (thats what my tv is set at) and I can barely see the text and icons.

the system is now installed and Im at the desktop...how can I change everything to make it bigger?

TIA

Elite Member
    ok heres a stupid question...at Kboot, I typed in install_ps3_1080i (thats what my tv is set at) and I can barely see the text and icons.

the system is now installed and Im at the desktop...how can I change everything to make it bigger?

TIA
    lmfao common user error u simply have to change the resolution you chose the wrong res for your TV. Check http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewforum.php?f=19

its where the more advanced PS3 linux users are found....terrible that they took the forum off here SMH

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by rblover69 View Post
    lmfao common user error u simply have to change the resolution you chose the wrong res for your TV. Check http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewforum.php?f=19

its where the more advanced PS3 linux users are found....terrible that they took the forum off here SMH
    lol yea
    whats funny is I took Linux in college lol

I tried mode 1 and 129(add 128 for full screen mode)(480i)...icons too big and it adds 3 stationary bars that look like the rest of the desktop to take up the slack, but you cannot put anything in that extra space...

tried 2 and 130(480p) and its still a little big...my tv is 720p/1080i but its really 768p native(its a Vizio)

anyone have any suggestions?

Elite Member
    lol yea
    whats funny is I took Linux in college lol

I tried mode 1 and 129(add 128 for full screen mode)(480i)...icons too big and it adds 3 stationary bars that look like the rest of the desktop to take up the slack, but you cannot put anything in that extra space...

tried 2 and 130(480p) and its still a little big...my tv is 720p/1080i but its really 768p native(its a Vizio)

anyone have any suggestions?
    post on that forum and select 720p it should work fine

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by rblover69 View Post
    post on that forum and select 720p it should work fine
    I would think so too but for some reason, 720p is way too small to see

Thread Information