PSU Live Streamer

What is MAG? Allow me to explain.

Zipper's Massive Action Game, is in fact a Massive Action Game.

Do you like first person shooters? Large scale combat experiences? Tactical communication and squad based objectives? Well look no further!

Welcome to my =MAG= explanation. This post will be a mix of review, opinion, explanation and information. I am making this post because many people see MAG as being nothing more than a 256 player kill fest, and choose not to give it a chance. I hope my experience will help shed some light.

Background

Zipper is well known for it's staple tactical shooter game, SOCOM. An FPS that tries to set itself apart from the slew of FPS games on the market by adding a more tactical feel with the use of comms and team based objectives. Zipper's latest game now steps outside of their comfort zone, as they attempt to expand upon their original product and rebuild it from the ground up for the PS3 as a new title called MAG.

MAG retains many of the features that the SOCOM franchise has offered it's customers, and blows it up into a larger scale, epic battle...an MMOFPS if you will. Is this a new concept to the gaming industry? No. In 2003, Sony Online Entertainment released the very first ever seen MMOFPS on the PC platform, this game was called Planetside. But I'm not here to discuss Planetside, I'm here to discuss MAG. And even though Zipper may not have achieved the scale SOE did, Zipper did succeed in one thing SOE did not. Zipper brought this experience to home console.

Decision

When starting to play MAG for the first time, you are given the option to choose 1 of 3 different factions to ally yourself with...

-Raven, a South American pmc that boasts it's high tech weaponry and tactics. Shrouded in black, this company is everything a player seeking that sleek looking soldier persona will find.

-Valor, a North American team of army boys looking to get dirty. These are the roughnecks, the jungle runners. If you want that old WW2 experience, and like wearing the traditional camo look no further.

-S.V.E.R. a European mercenary group. This particular group could be viewed as the rejects. The people no one calls in to get the job done. Sporting AKs, these guys are for hire to anyone with a price.

Whatever your choice in the matter here, the overall balance between the 3 is pretty much even. Some reports have been made that Raven sports slightly lower damage weaponry with higher accuracy. SVER houses lower accuracy with higher damage. And Valor is the mid ground for both. However I have witnessed claims that all 3 are meant to be as closely tied in strengths as possible, thereby leaving your choice of faction to be purely dependent on which PMC background you wish to offer your support to.

Experience

After character selection is complete you begin the game by taking a short training course to familiarize yourself with the controls and options you'll have to work with in combat. Completing this training course will award you level 2 and open up new game play options. Experience is awarded through various means. Some examples include...

-Kills. Killing an enemy, or assisting in the kill of an enemy.
    -Medic. Healing or reviving a friendly.
    -Repairs. Repairing vehicles and facilities.
    -Objectives. Defending home objectives or destroying enemy ones.

Zipper chose to award experience in varying amounts based on team based priority. This helps give players incentive to act as a team, and forgo the 'run n gun' mentality that so many FPS games have ingrained into peoples heads. Example, 5xp is awarded for a kill but 10xp is awarded for the reviving of a teammate. Your distance to an objective is also very relevant to your xp gains. If on a defending team, staying and defending a node instead of running around killing the enemy out in the field, results in a higher xp percentage gain. Likewise, assisting in the destruction of an enemies objective rather than spawn camping also results in a larger xp gain.

Skills/Gear

For every level acquired, a skill point is awarded (currently a level max of 60). These skill points are used in your characters skill tree section. How you choose to spend these points will help change your characters gameplay. You are given multiple choices that include: Sniper, Assault Rifle, Heavy Weapons, Field Support, Melee or secondary weapon, Explosives, etc. Each skill tree has multiple tiers, each tier beyond the first requires a certain amount of skill points to be spent in the tier that precedes it. Upon reaching 60th level, you'll most likely be proficient in basically everything to some degree. The limits placed on you at this point become your carrying capacity. Every weapon, armor, item that you assign to yourself in the armory has an assigned weight value. You may not exceed a preset weight amount. This forces you to juggle your options and find what roles you wish to fill the most. You will end up having to sacrifice something if you wish to be proficient somewhere else. Multiple load outs have been given to each character so if they wish to have a medic/fire support load out separate from their explosives/engineer load out and be able to switch between them during respawn, they can...but you'll be facing such a fast paced war you'll never be ready for everything all the time. Respecs are also available.

Command/Communication

With the use of headsets this game can really step up from being just an FPS, to a tactical combat experience. Once level 15 is obtained, you may begin to apply for leadership roles. Experience gained while in a leadership role allows you to apply for greater command roles later on. This leadership experience is gained based on how well your squad/platoon performs under your command, and the overall success of your mission. Squad leaders aid in the actions of their squad. Platoon leaders help to organize all the squads in their platoon, and company leader will control all the platoons. Each level of leadership has its own perks and capabilities, such as calling in bombers for air strikes, etc.

Game Types/Objectives

This game is so much more than just 'capture the flag' or 'kill as many of the enemy as possible'. This game has team based objective capture and defense elements that set it above the rest, while still keeping the kill everything in sight aspect available to those that just want some mindless killing from time to time. There are 4 game modes.

-Suppression. Team death match essentially.
    -Sabotage. 64 player battle. Attacking team must disable objectives A and B, before securing C. Combat usually begins as a 50/50 split battle over nodes A and B before all members of both teams finally converge on C.
    -Acquisition. 128 player battle. Attacking team must breach enemy lines, steal 2 transport vehicles, and drive them back through the chaos to reach a getaway point.
    -Domination. 256 player battle. Attacking team must destroy the center of the defending teams 'city'. Imagine this city as being circular. Each attacking squad begins at different points around the city. Outer defenses must be secured first. Further layers of defense must be peeled away until finally all 256 players battle it out in the cities central compound.

Tactics become invaluable, and may differ based on the map you are involved in. In Acquisition, fighting your way into enemy territory and making it back out with a transport vehicle can only be possible if road blocks, walls and gun turrets are disabled. Air strikes can only be successful if ground troops manage to take out Anti-Air batteries, etc.

Vehicles

There are a few vehicles available in the game. Hummers with gun turrets allow quick mobility through the streets with above normal protection. APCs have the added bonus of extra seating, and they become a mobile respawn point. When anti-air batteries are disabled, helicopters allow for extra fire support or para-drops.

Campers

Alot, if not all FPS games at one point or another are criticized for the campers that tend to ruin play experience for people. Some call it strategy, some call it cowardice and the mark of an unskilled player. MAG won't be the game that comes along and prevents this from happening. This game puts you into an 'attacker vs defender' game style. Naturally the defender will be expecting to have some form of 'camping' play style from time to time. What MAG does do to help however, is because nearly all of the gameplay takes place outdoors, there are very few, if any, places that a camper could potentially benefit from in all matches. Multiple access points are everywhere, and unless you have a tight nit group of people defending your camp zone, you will at some point be discovered, flanked and taken out. Even the indoor facilities are buildings with multiple ladder/stair access points or doorways.

Pizazz

Many jump on this game for it's 'last gen graphics'. They may be right to do so. The graphics in this game are nothing to brag about. And many arguments are made to the fact that this game deals with up to 256 players in a massive environment. Which is true, but there is so much more than that. When you enter the 256 player zone you'll be in for a real treat if you just stop for a moment and witness what is going on. Objectives that have been destroyed will be smoking off in the distance. Air strike drops that shake the ground around you, impeding your hearing and sight if you are close enough and manage to live through it. Helicopters and planes overhead. Parachuting troops raining down from the sky. Gun turrets spraying, anti-air batteries firing streams of rockets at approaching aircraft. Vehicles burning on the side of the road.

Once you put aside the fact that you are controlling a character that may have lived on the ps2, you'll realize you are playing a game that can only live on the ps3.

Potential

I see the potential in this game to be HUGE. Map packs, extra guns, extra accessories, new vehicle options, etc. All of these can have the chance to expand this game to new heights if Zipper feels there is enough interest in the game to take it to those levels. We've all seen it with Warhawk. I predict that if this game manages to strike gold with the PS3 community, we'll be likely to see many new additions.

MY opinion

I love this game. I'm not even a First Person Shooter fanatic. I enjoy them, but mainly for the story driven campaign experience. Very few FPS games have sucked me into an online world. The ones that do, do so because of their scope of gameplay. I was a Planetside freak, right up until SOE stopped focusing on it, and hackers began to surface. Samething happened with Americas Army. I enjoy tactical, coordinated team effort gameplay. Capturing a flag just isn't enough for me anymore, I want something more.

I hope you enjoy my write up. Please feel free to add any experiences you've had in the game.

Apprentice
    Im scared to buy coz it will take time off my dedicated regular games! maybe one day.

Dedicated Member
    nice thread but i still pass on the game. In fact i forgot i preordered it lol
    "There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Elite Member
    +rep for this effort, unfortunately I'm still not interested in the game

Elite Member
    Getting it this week cannot wait!
    VPCEB17FX Bose Companion System
    50' SXRD XBR2 & DAV-HDX274 Theatre
    PS3 320GB & 500GB & PSP GO 32GB

Dedicated Member
    Thanks for the explanation Shepard

I was on the fence about this game since day 1 but i finally bought the game yesterday.

All I have to say is amazing. The scale of the battles in this game is worthwhile to experience and it has a Battlefield feel to it due to the teamwork needed to complete an objective, and ultimately win the game. In my opinion, i find myself having more fun with MAG than many other FPS out there.

If you enjoy teamwork oriented games, you should get MAG.

Apprentice

I been playing this game this whole weekend. I love it. I prefer this more than MW2. I wasn't that into MW2. I actually sold my copy because I never really played it. But MAG sucked me right in.

Elite Guru
    Good run down of the question "What is MAG".

Although you were wrong on one point & missed something else.

I don't think MAG retains anything at all from Socom apart from the environment details (and Im not talking about visually..I mean in content).
    And you missed the point on respec'ing your skill tree @ 3000 XP, 5000XP, 10K XP, & so on.

There are still issues with the game....but the gameplay does offer something different.
    I suggest anyone on the fence or those turned away from it to actually look at all the "opinions" on it & take them for what they are worth.
    There is a lot to be said for the game even with its existing issues, but the base design is there & as stated could become something great....just like Socom did.

IMO..its good atm, but not great.
    You will find so much more enjoyment from playing a tactical game than you will running & gunning...regardless if you win or lose. The fun is in the maps & how you use them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Video games dont Affect Kids.
    If Pacman had affected us as Kids,
    We'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching Magic pills
    and Listening to repetitive, Electronic music

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    i still need to play this game...

+rep very good explanation

I love this game and I really don't care for 1st person shooters much, probably because I'm not very good. But, somehow I have fun playing this game even if I'm getting my *** kicked or not. I think it's because of the missions, it's not about just k/d ratio. I like the fact that there's other things to do to help your team. This is my favorite 1st person shooter, 2nd is BFBC. Bought COD4, haven't bought any of the others, didn't care for it much. Everyone who has a PS3 should get this game, not that the COD games aren't good, obviously alot of folks love them. If you have a PS3, get MAG (if you have internet connection obviously). Just my opinion.

Apprentice
    Great post! I would buy MAG if I got freeze time... It's so addicting that I would play hours on end and not even notice!
    500GB PS3, Original Fatty
    Samsung 46' 1080P w/ SS

Master Poster
    Very nice write up!! The only problem i see with the game is NO single player. I only buy games that have both single player and multi player, just in case i decide to play multi player. Sure sounds like a good multi player game!!

PS. Plus rep for you!

Master Guru
    Im so physched for this not sure how ill pay for it thou
    reading this makes it sound better
    "Everything that has ever happened has been leading up to this very moment"

"What happened to bros before hoes?" "Well, this one isn't a hoe, so she's first."

I suppose this is as good a MAG thread as any to say this. Last night my friend was in a game, defending in Domination (SVER). The attackers were getting nowhere and at about half way the commander comes on the radio and says "If we still have all the bunkers at 5 minutes remaining then we're gonna try and get the whole team, all 128 of us, back to the middle for a big-*** f**king picture".

It happened and it was hilarious. I can't believe the framerate held up. There was a sea of guys running around firing wildly into the air and, occasionally, into the crowd. It took a little while before the enemy caught on. I can only imagine their faces when they saw the whole enemy team rushing around together.

Hopefully the OIC will upload his picture somewhere on the internet.

Apprentice
    Great summary of the game mate. I stupidly didn't give the game a big enough chance in the beta, but the more I play the full game the more I appreciate what a brilliant piece of work it is.

The one thing I hope is that Zipper do what you have mentioned and keep enhancing it. The foundations have been laid, lets hope that they can keep adding new content and make this game even better, the same way Warhawk was improved but on a larger scale. A couple of new vehicles, new weapons, maps, perks, etc to keep it fresh.

I would have rather seen 128 players online little bit smaller maps and next gen graphics. I think its great with what there trying to do but if I was not all about graphics then I would just play my wii. Thats my reason for not purchasing the game. Maybe this is the start to the truly next generation FPS that where all really looking for.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    NYFAN75
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicimpulse View Post
    I would have rather seen 128 players online little bit smaller maps and next gen graphics. I think its great with what there trying to do but if I was not all about graphics then I would just play my wii. Thats my reason for not purchasing the game. Maybe this is the start to the truly next generation FPS that where all really looking for.

Then that is a very poor reason.... But it is your's... You are just missing out on a great game though...

Nice OP, +rep

There is nothing like going into an objective with your squad, working together and coming out on top. It gets even better when an OIC is giving updates on how the other fronts are doing and you feel like you are part of something huge.

It's too bad, you are missing out on a good game but to each his own.

I feel genuinely sorry for you.

PHAT boy gone slim
    Great insight into the world of MAG Shepard. +rep for spreading the word.

One little note though, you have the PMC's slightly mixed up. GOing by the MAG website Raven is Europe, Valor is the Americas and S.V.E.R is the Middle East/China

Source
    http://www.torn.com/1562191 - Torn City, free online txt based RPG. Sign up through this link, get to level 10 and earn 5 million in-game $'s

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    people and developers forgot that next gen is not about graphics
    and as result we have many beautiful looking mainstream crap!!!

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJackson85 View Post
    Great insight into the world of MAG Shepard. +rep for spreading the word.

One little note though, you have the PMC's slightly mixed up. GOing by the MAG website Raven is Europe, Valor is the Americas and S.V.E.R is the Middle East/China

Source

Hmm, alright. I was using the map in game which points out PMC locations with a colored blip.

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Militia View Post
    I suppose this is as good a MAG thread as any to say this. Last night my friend was in a game, defending in Domination (SVER). The attackers were getting nowhere and at about half way the commander comes on the radio and says "If we still have all the bunkers at 5 minutes remaining then we're gonna try and get the whole team, all 128 of us, back to the middle for a big-*** f**king picture".

It happened and it was hilarious. I can't believe the framerate held up. There was a sea of guys running around firing wildly into the air and, occasionally, into the crowd. It took a little while before the enemy caught on. I can only imagine their faces when they saw the whole enemy team rushing around together.

Hopefully the OIC will upload his picture somewhere on the internet.
    That would of been awesome.

I agree mate well explained
    :gta:

@neoxthexone
    yh iv saw it its on youtube(.)com and they are all running and givving ppl wer to go i was laughing mad mate just type in MAg and its should be on the top

Thread Information