Super Elite
    Items Atari

Proof that reviews aren't always right

I'd be surprised if you've heard of a ps2 game named Cold Winter. Its a spy themed FPS released around the same time as the original God of War. The game was not reviewed extremely well. It recieved 6.5-7.0 scores. But from what I've played, along with my buddies, we had a great time with CW. I would easily give it a 9.0 today, let alone in 2005. The single player campaign has a cool story, involving breaking out of a chinese prison, doing some wetwork, a double cross or two, and a sci-fi ending for the perfect 007 feel. The acting is really good, and the action moves well. The gameplay is excellent. The shooting mechanic always feels good, from a small black pistol to the large machine guns, everything is fun to shoot. The sound effects are great as well. The explosions are great, and the large machine gun sounds satisfying. The multiplayer is excellent, despite the fact that only 4 characters may play at once. Its confusing to explain, but if one human plays deathmatch, three bots may play as well. If two humans play, then only two bots may, etc. There are a multitude of modes, and they all are avaliable online for up to 8 players. I believe that the servers are active as well, but good luck finding a game five years after release! The main factor dragging down the game were the drab graphics. I do think that Cold Winter is an example of reviewers under rating a game, soley because the graphics were a bit drab. I think that a lot of people have been worried about MAG because of reviews. MAG may be the next Cold Winter. Its a great game that people remember and play for years, but it didn't review well because it looked a bit drab and generic.
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

Elite Sage
    Uh... wut? 9.0? You're kidding me, right?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl20tJn_9SE"]YouTube- PS2 Underrated Gem: Cold Winter[/ame]

*Facepalms*
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The title of the thread should be changed to, "Proof that reviews are opinions".

Sublimely Static
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The title of the thread should be changed to, "Proof that reviews are opinions".
    Reviews are opinions that affect the sales of games. They need to be objective and explained thoroughly.

If I hadn't purchased WKC before the IGN review I probably wouldn't have gotten the game. It is a good thing I did though, I ended up popping it in, and now I am scratching my head as to why this guy scored the game so low.

I am a IGN fan, but this review really makes me question their standards. If greg miller reviewed it I wonder if it would have been different?

All-Knowing RPG Tyrant
    http://ie.psp.ign.com/articles/675/675055p5.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhib8lDknBM"]YouTube- PSP Loading Time for WWE![/ame]

7 minutes loading is pretty ok, but 10 seconds in mana khemia utterly cripples the game and makes it unplayable!
    Quote from Mana Khemia review "Upwards of 5 seconds"
    WELL THAT'S TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE (when it's a niche game)

I'm a real boy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    Reviews are opinions that affect the sales of games. They need to be objective and explained thoroughly.

If I hadn't purchased WKC before the IGN review I probably wouldn't have gotten the game. It is a good thing I did though, I ended up popping it in, and now I am scratching my head as to why this guy scored the game so low.

I am a IGN fan, but this review really makes me question their standards. If greg miller reviewed it I wonder if it would have been different?
    They do not have to be objective. Those who read reviews need to learn to read them objectively.

Reviews do effect sales. It's just another form of marketing, and that's what marketing does. It effects the sales of a product.

What does that mean for you? Nothing. It shouldn't matter to any specific person what a review states, but how they read the review. It appears most will read a review and accept it as infailable, and make their decision off of that.

Back to to the requirement of the reader being objective, and not the writer. If the reader is objective then reviews can be used quite well to formulate one's own opinion on a game, and not a loose translation of someone else's.

Using myself as an example, I hardly read reviews. However, when I do read a review to look at what a game is like I don't pay attention to what the reviewer says, but how he or she is saying it.

If for example I read a review and the reviewer spends not only a lot of the review talking about graphics but speaks of the graphics with a lot of disdain, then that tells me something about the reviewer's bias. It tells me that the reviewer has a heavy value on graphics over other aspects of the game. Does that mean I should care as equally about graphics? No I decide that for myself.

Back to the WKC vs IGN example. Why would you have taken IGN's review so closely to heart? It sounds like you'd just look at what they said and not how they said it. You yourself even admitted you would have missed out on what you'd consider a justified purchase.

I can extract the facts given in a review and create my own opinion. I don't just take someone else's and make it my own. That's a ridiculous way of forming an opinion, even if it's completely objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Sieghardt View Post
    http://ie.psp.ign.com/articles/675/675055p5.html

YouTube- PSP Loading Time for WWE!

7 minutes loading is pretty ok, but 10 seconds in mana khemia utterly cripples the game and makes it unplayable!
    Quote from Mana Khemia review "Upwards of 5 seconds"
    WELL THAT'S TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE (when it's a niche game)
    Was that the same reviewer for each game?

--

EVERY reviewer has their own personal idea of what the ideal game should be. I know that that's likely not going to be MY idea of what the ideal game should be. The only way I can ever hope to read review, is read it objectively knowing that it's not written objectively.

Sublimely Static
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
    They do not have to be objective. Those who read reviews need to learn to read them objectively.

If for example I read a review and the reviewer spends not only a lot of the review talking about graphics but speaks of the graphics with a lot of disdain, then that tells me something about the reviewer's bias. It tells me that the reviewer has a heavy value on graphics over other aspects of the game. Does that mean I should care as equally about graphics? No I decide that for myself.

Back to the WKC vs IGN example. Why would you have taken IGN's review so closely to heart? It sounds like you'd just look at what they said and not how they said it. You yourself even admitted you would have missed out on what you'd consider a justified purchase.

Well, I think you mistake what I ma saying for the reviewer not to give his opinion. A reviewer can still give his opinion and score based off that opinion and review objectvely.

When reviewers do not hold themselves to that standard, then they omit information or convey info wrong.

I found out after playing the game myself that you do not have to wait on the action circle but you can switch between the characters to continue attacks. The gameplay is more akin to an MMO than a traditional JRPG. Creatures that aggro, indicators for strength above thier heads, once you initiate a fight you cannot escape (his distance complaint) and a few others.

Now, I understand how to read reviews. That's why I regaurd IGN so highly because they normally touch on the bases while offering their opinion. What makes this review bad, is that he uses some personal feelings to describe game, and leaves out descriptions and/or apt comparisons. This is why everyone is questioning if he played the game or why did he not describe certain aspects.

There is a difference between a professional review and one that is given by you peers.

This guy dropped the ball and didn't describe the game at all, except for his limited perspective and heated opinions about the title.

All-Knowing RPG Tyrant
    Was that the same reviewer for each game?

--

EVERY reviewer has their own personal idea of what the ideal game should be. I know that that's likely not going to be MY idea of what the ideal game should be. The only way I can ever hope to read review, is read it objectively knowing that it's not written objectively.
    I can give you dozens of examples from each of the writers.
    The same guy who gave Mana Khemia 2.7 gave Ar Tonelico 2 8.4. Both are games from the same company made in the same engine with many of the same game features. Difference being he actually bothered to play AT2 but didnt bother to play MK much and says so in his review even. That's absolutely OFFENSIVE levels of unprofessionalism at the least.

Jeremy Dunham who thought the 7 minutes loading for WWE was fine and dandy tore strips off Ys: The Ark of Napishtam because of its loading times http://ie.psp.ign.com/articles/693/693501p2.html even going so far as to say it was the ONE AND ONLY glaring problem in the game

Super Elite
    Items Atari
    I'm surprised that people didn't like cold winter. It was really fun. Everyone I've played it with has enjoyed it as well. Poison gas=win.
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

Thread Information