Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

PS3 Shut down and blinking red light Help!

Hey, I need some helps guys.

I have looked around the internet and think I know what this means, but I want to make sure with you guys.

My roommate and I were playing NCAA 10 today and the PS3 just shut off and had a blinking red light. We restarted and it said that we shut it down improperly and we need to hold down the power button or we risk losing some data. We restarted and started playing it again and it happened again and again.

Does this mean that my PS3 is going to have to be sent in to get fixed and/or have to buy a new one? If so, how much does this fix cost? I bought it on 1/23/2008.

Thanks so much guys.

-OrangeTomatoe

Superior Member
    Oh yea Sorry bro you have to send it in. Since you dont have warrent any more (assuming you're in the U.S) it's $29.99 shipping, and $149.99 to have it repaired(But they give you an option to switch to the slim for 119.99) But mines was backward compatible so I didn't want to switch, and total after tax I ended up paying $192.16.
    Ride or die Sony(Playstation) supporter since 12/25/1997 Currently playing: Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K14, Tomba,Battlefield 4,Warframe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    Holding down Turtle Power since 1991

Grrrr....thanks man. I was expecting to hear that, but didn't want to. I never had a single problem with my PS2. These consoles are so complex now anything can go wrong.

This is my 3rd PS3. The first two had the Blu-ray reader problems and now this. This is so annoying. Not to mention my 360 had to be sent it like twice to get repaired. Ugh. Sorry had to vent for a second.

Anyways, thanks.

Think4aSec
    Ok man

First

1.Wash it in the Sink

2.Put it in the Microwave for 3 min

3.Cook Until Crispy

4.Serve with Lemon And tatay sauce

if it Still Dosent Work Send it to Sony Like That

Quote Originally Posted by Think4aSec View Post
    Ok man

First

1.Wash it in the Sink

2.Put it in the Microwave for 3 min

3.Cook Until Crispy

4.Serve with Lemon

if it Still Dosent Work Send it to Sony Like That
    Ill keep those in mind.

Is there a way I can save my data on the PS3. I have a lot of saved games on there and don't want to lose ALL that data. Are there any guides to do this.

Thanks.

-OrangeTomatoe

Superior Member
    It's okay to let out your fustration... I lost mines twice also. I had the Blu Ray problem, then It YLOD on me in November, just got it back last week. I almost wanted to cry when I died but a 20 year old just wouldn't look right crying for a system lol.

Also the price pissed me off. It wasn't my fault I took good care of it.
    Ride or die Sony(Playstation) supporter since 12/25/1997 Currently playing: Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K14, Tomba,Battlefield 4,Warframe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

Think4aSec
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetomato View Post
    Ill keep those in mind.

Is there a way I can save my data on the PS3. I have a lot of saved games on there and don't want to lose ALL that data. Are there any guides to do this.

Thanks.

-OrangeTomatoe
    Why dont u Just take Out the HDD it has All your Gamesaves on it.

If u Can get the Ps3 Working u can Backup Most of your Gamesaves to a USB

But its as easy and Removing your HDD on the side of your Ps3
    Ect

IDK if they will repare it without all its Hardware lol???

Does a Ps3 Run without a HDD Saying this Becosue the OS is on the HDD? right

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Think4aSec View Post
    Why dont u Just take Out the HDD it has All your Gamesaves on it.
    Because even if he does take out the HDD the new PS3 will format the Hard drive, which is going to delete his saves anyway. So It's no use. It sucks mann

Think4aSec
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo-green28 View Post
    Because even if he does take out the HDD the new PS3 will format the Hard drive, which is going to delete his saves anyway. So It's no use. It sucks mann
    I feel Like an *** hole now making a Joke about cooking his Ps3D

I dont care if my 360 Breaks anymore but Not my Sexy Black Cell Powered beast

Veteran
    Items Rolling StonesGTA IVDeadmau5NirvanaSackboyThe BeatlesJoker (limited ICON)Call of Duty: Black OPSGran Turismo 5GTA NikoNaughty DogModern Warfare 3
    if its anything like mine when it cuts out....just keep turning it back on...after a few times it stays on long enough to play for a while, you could back saves up to usb, or use an external hdd to to do a system back up.
    mines has been doing this for months and i play everday on it still

mine started doing exactly that; and eventually wont go past a yellow light followed by red blinking lights(ylod).there is no option of upgrading to a slim if you dont have a bc ps3.take out your disk immediately; restart system to factory settings under system settings but be sure to deactivate the account under psn tab before resetting your settings.when you buy a new ps3 you can then still have your username; and you want to reset the settings to factory on the off chance you get someone to reflow the cpu/gpu and it works long enough for you to trade it in on a ps3slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetomato View Post
    Hey, I need some helps guys.

I have looked around the internet and think I know what this means, but I want to make sure with you guys.

My roommate and I were playing NCAA 10 today and the PS3 just shut off and had a blinking red light. We restarted and it said that we shut it down improperly and we need to hold down the power button or we risk losing some data. We restarted and started playing it again and it happened again and again.

Does this mean that my PS3 is going to have to be sent in to get fixed and/or have to buy a new one? If so, how much does this fix cost? I bought it on 1/23/2008.

Thanks so much guys.

-OrangeTomatoe
    i just signed up to this site to ask a similar question and i can answer yours as ive just fixed my ps3 yellow light of death assuming you have the same problem use this guide here [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU"]YouTube- PS3 YLOD Fix Part 1 of 2[/ame] it seems complicated but its ok aslong as you take everything apart and set it all out in an order and btw if its past its warrenty what have you got to loose? anyway i fixed my ps3 useing this method i used a hair dryer instead of a heat gun tho.just make sure you have a set of phillips screw drivers and a T-10 torx driver

Apprentice

I got YLOD yesterday about two hours into bioshock 2. The game was stuck inside and I had no back up for any saves. I used gilksy's fix and it worked, got my game out and backed up the saves. I don't know if I trust putting the game back in now though, might just go get a slim and use the old ps3 as a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by xhaereticusx View Post
    I got YLOD yesterday about two hours into bioshock 2. The game was stuck inside and I had no back up for any saves. I used gilksy's fix and it worked, got my game out and backed up the saves. I don't know if I trust putting the game back in now though, might just go get a slim and use the old ps3 as a spare.
    try and fix it by useing the tuturial in my post ^ i did it today and it works 100% although my fan is noiser then ever atleast i can play untill my new slim arrives.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I think I am going to be getting a slim. I have had a lot of trouble with the 40GB model - it is my 3rd 40GB model, ugh. It seems to be that I can have the XMB opened and look around there but when I play the game it gets too hot and shuts down.

Question: Does the external hard drive have to be the FAT 32 format or can I just plug in my external from my computer and back up everything that way?

Question: Is there a way to do all my game saves and data utility stuff all in one backup or do I have to xfer them individually?

Once again, thanks for all the help.

-OrangeTomatoe

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ll_1NFRA_r3d_ll View Post
    anyway i fixed my ps3 useing this method i used a hair dryer instead of a heat gun tho.just make sure you have a set of phillips screw drivers and a T-10 torx driver
    A hairdryer doesn`t come close to generating enough heat to melt solder ( reflowing ). A heat gun is required that can generate at least 700 degrees celsius of heat. I wouldn`t count on it lasting any longer than a couple of hours. But yer the tutorial that you linked to does indeed work.

"Its better to keep your mouth shut and let everybody think you are an idiot. Than it is to open it and remove all doubt!!"

Apprentice

my fat launch 60GB died yesterday and i also saw on youtube on how to "fix" it but it looks like a total pain to do cause if u mess up one thing u can do more damage then good. It also cost $150 to send it in and since they dont make the fat ones anymore im leaning more towards just getting the slim. I got a question as well since my died. I didnt back my data up so will i lose everything except for the trophies i earned or does that go as well?

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RedK20 View Post
    my fat launch 60GB died yesterday and i also saw on youtube on how to "fix" it but it looks like a total pain to do cause if u mess up one thing u can do more damage then good. It also cost $150 to send it in and since they dont make the fat ones anymore im leaning more towards just getting the slim. I got a question as well since my died. I didnt back my data up so will i lose everything except for the trophies i earned or does that go as well?
    You wont lose your trophies but yer you will lose all your save data unless you do the "fix" and then back it all up. I`ve fixed a couple of consoles and it is relativly easy to do. If you do fix it then trade it in for a slim as the fix is only temporary.

"Its better to keep your mouth shut and let everybody think you are an idiot. Than it is to open it and remove all doubt!!"

My PS3 wont even start up now, so there is no chance of me hooking up an external and backing up everything. Can I somehow put my hard drive in a friends PS3 and back everything up that way, or in a new slim that I buy.

Edit*: or in a computer, because the connection looks like a SATA connection, which I have in my computer.

Elite Guru
    if your saying this is happening to both ps3 and xbox360 i guess its where you got everything set up. how is the ventalation?

Consoles i own : ps2 xbox360 Ps3 Wii psp
    Wanna see what i look like www.facebook.com/laoman

They died in two different places. But its a entertainment center which is never closed off. There is plenty of room to breath for the PS3, plus my apartment is never hot. I guess you could describe the spot where my PS3 is as a cubby, like in elementary school. But its a big spot for a PS3.

Edit: So a mini-update, it will not turn on at all anymore, it just goes to the blinking red light. Am I going to have to disassemble my PS3 and everything and heat it up to get working again and then deactivate my PSN name on the PS3, or is there another way? MAN....this is such a pain in the #$@
    !!!

Apprentice

Apprentice
    its highly likely you've had power surge of some sort that may have fried the motherboard but that's by a long shot
    just a guess

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo-green28 View Post
    Oh yea Sorry bro you have to send it in. Since you dont have warrent any more (assuming you're in the U.S) it's $29.99 shipping, and $149.99 to have it repaired(But they give you an option to switch to the slim for 119.99) But mines was backward compatible so I didn't want to switch, and total after tax I ended up paying $192.16.
    Ummm, where is he option to switch the Slim? I didn't see it in the form, and I called Sony, the lady who was on the phone said they probably will repair I wont get exchange for a Slim - but she maybe wrong - I hope she was wrong anyway.
    I wrote a note on the form said that I wont mind exchange for a refurb Slim - hope that works..... but on the otherhand, I think I should just buy a new Slim cuz spending $150 plaus tax and the shipping fee will be about $200, that is not cheap.
    Edit: I just called Sony couple of minutes ago. yes, I can trade it in for a Slim and I pay less like you said. but I will have to recall to get a new shipping box.... that is good news to me cuz I really want a Slim and I dont care for B/C cuz I already have a PS2.
    I love my headphones..

Dedicated Member
    Just sent you a pm.

Thread Information