Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage

Japan Mag Sizes Up the PS3 vs. Wii

http://www.news4gamers.com/ps3/News-4298.aspx

In the latest issue of its Otona Fami (the casual version of the Weekly Famitsu), Enterbrain has made a study on the approaching launch of the Wii and the PS3, with Nintendo's machine winning over gamers, retailers and developers.

Gamers (216 participants):

While many find the PS3 way too expensive, they are very much interested in the popular licenses which should come on the system. However, they appear to be more interested in the innovative gaming the Wii is set to bring. Gamers polled prefer to wait for a significant PS3 price-drop, and in the waiting, they want to buy the Wii. Many gamers were also interested in playing old games (retro-gaming) via the Wii Virtual Console.

Here’s what gamers said are the consoles they’re most interested in buying:

73.6%: Wii
    16.7%: PS3
    9.7%: neither

Veteran
    This is very bad. Sony has no idea that they might lose Japan. Too bad for them(idiots).
    Resistance 2, KillZone 2, WarDevil, MGS4, God Of War 3, Final Fantasu XIII, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, and a alot more, how can 2008 not be the PS3's year.

Master Sage
    Yeah they want lose Japan.
    Sig by Phaded
    _______
    NINJA HAWKS

Tribunal
    I'd have to agree with everyone who says.

In Japan sony looks like it's about to be "Pwned!" Sony really needs to throw down at TGS.

Pots n' Pans Robot
    Gamers polled prefer to wait for a significant PS3 price-drop, and in the waiting, they want to buy the Wii.
    Still purchases nonetheless. The PS3 will sell out for a significant portion of it's first year, so I don't see why it would matter if the other people waited to get one anyhow.

I also like how they don't even consider the PS3's backwards compatability and it's ability to download and play games a form of retro gaming. Just because it isn't 8 bit doesn't mean it's not retro. I consider Nirvana retro, whereas in the mid 90's I considered Blondie or Def Leppard retro. I think the ability to download old NES, SNES, and Genesis titles via the "Virtual Console" or whatever name they are giving it, is cool and all but I don't see the initial novelty of the feature lasting for a very long time. I don't exactly see those handheld Frogger and Pac-Man video game things flying off Gamestop shelves anymore...

With the PS3 we are at least getting some benefits from the downloadable "oldies". We will be able to upconvert them to HD resolutions and who knows, maybe even the ability to play multiplayer online sort of like how people used to "trick" their Xbox's into playing their non-online games online through their PC's. The functionality could be added via an applet in the PS3's OS that tricks any PS1 title into automatically recognizing the net application as other players. I dunno. I will stop now....
    Kevin Levine on Bioshock PS3: "...we’re not talking about any other versions right now."

Veteran
    They really need to prove a high value in a $500 system and $600 Blu-Ray Player Mulitimedia Gaming System.
    Resistance 2, KillZone 2, WarDevil, MGS4, God Of War 3, Final Fantasu XIII, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, and a alot more, how can 2008 not be the PS3's year.

Aleman
    You'd think they would have learned something from PSP vs. DS in Japan.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleman
    Sony are very arrogant and conceited. They always think there right.

Super Elite
    This is very bad. Sony has no idea that they might lose Japan. Too bad for them(idiots).
    You know, you might as well do it better.Since you got that knowledge on japanese sales and the gaming market.

Polls right now reflect what the systems offered until now.The Ps3 offered tons of FPS games, and other action games(heavenly sword, motorstorm, warhawk), but and only 3 interesting japanese games(VF5, MGS4, FF13).

Until people get to see a real tekken 6, a real gran turismo, a real devil may cry, basically all those strong japanese titles, there is nothing to be excited about the PS3, looking at japanese software.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Phat
    They really need to prove a high value in a $500 system and $600 Blu-Ray Player Mulitimedia Gaming System.

So in your opinion they have to throw everything Work in project out like that, reveal every last game 6 months before launch.Yeah, that makes sense.

Nintendo shouldnt get carried away by the DS, the huge success of the GBA didnt help the Cube at all.

Elite Sage
    They kinda did.

*cue motion sensing in PS3*
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Superior Member
    I'm not surprised.

Sony always does best in the TGS in Japan other then E3. Once it's over they will be in Sony heaven.

Aleman
    It's going to be a rough start for Sony in Japan. Nintendo is coming right out of the gates with Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. I also heard that there's a Wii exlusive Dragon Quest game as a launch title.

Superior Member
    Yeah. I'm getting a Wii and PS3 and even if I love the PS3 I'm going to be playing my Wii a little bit more until I see some good launch titles.

Once 07 hits though I'm going to officially be stuck with my PS3. I don't see anything interesting other than Smash Bros and Mario next year. The brunt of Sony's games come out next year also.

Master Sage
    Mario Galaxy is not a launch title.
    Sig by Phaded
    _______
    NINJA HAWKS

Elite Sage
    I thought the Dragon Quest game was a RPG but it's a card based game.

And from this poll they seem more wooed by the back Catalog and the innovative controller than the established franchises opposite of the PS3.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Forum Sage

Sony needs to do something real big this Tokyo Game Show, to set everything right just before the edge....
    Just lower the price and the Japanese won't doubt you anymore... me neither

Elite Member
    It's going to be a rough start for Sony in Japan. Nintendo is coming right out of the gates with Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. I also heard that there's a Wii exlusive Dragon Quest game as a launch title.
    This is true - Sony can't underestimate the Wii.

Mind you, I wonder how many people will buy Zelda for their Gamecube? I also wonder what software Nintendo will produce for the two to three years following the launch of all their major franchises: the Wii may end up with the same problem the GC did - lack of regular good games. Fifteen Mario Party games will just not cut it IMO. (And is it just me or is the idea of simulating surgery with a wand reaaaally dumb? (Trauma Center Wii)).

(Another thing I don't get is the back catalog thing - you'll have to pay to download all the old Nintendo games that you played in your youth, many of which will still be in boxes in your attic? While the PS3 will play virtually every PS game ever for free (if you own it that is). Yeah, sure the N back catalog is probably far better overall in terms of quality, but do people really want to pay again to play Zelda OOT again? If they already have it? Someone explain this to me please...)

It is vitally important for Sony to show Japanese games that appeal to Japanese players at TGS; it doesn't have to be rafts of new titles, just a few that really knock them off their feet, the Japanese killer app. Showing more of Final Fantasy XIII might do it, as could RE V, Tekken or Virtua Fighter. A few new games that would appeal to the Japanese certainly wouldn't hurt either.

It is worth noting however that Wii and PS3 are occupying two different spaces, even in Japan. With the 360 out of the running, (at present at least), the PS3 has the field open when it comes to graphically intense NG games, including the extensions of most of the major franchises of this generation. The Wii will be plowing a field all on it's own.
    ______

Superior Member
    Maybe this will teach them not to be so arrogant. They need to learn and perhaps this will wake them up.

This sig brought to you by ps3954!

PSN: PsychoKitten
    Live Gamertag: Psychotickitten

Forum Sage
    The reason why PS3 does that badly in a poll at the moment is, that at E3 Sony focused more on western games. You can't win Japan by showing a near photo realistic Tiger Woods smiling. They should've showed more Japanese games that'll be launch titles, but they didn't. So what if one of the most wanted games, MGS4, is coming out in 2007. It won't be there at launch, hence gamers want Wii more with its Zelda, WarioWare and Wii Sports.

Still, if they can show a tru next gen Ridge Racer and some other potential Japanese hits (launch (window) titles) at TGS, they could win a bit more gamers to their side. It won't be even near Wii, but still better.

I don't exactly see those handheld Frogger and Pac-Man video game things flying off Gamestop shelves anymore...
    Don't compare Pacman and Frogger to games like Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario Bros. 3. The novelty of those games has hardly diminished in over 10 years.

With the PS3 we are at least getting some benefits from the downloadable "oldies"
    That will happen with Virtual Console games too. The games for Virtual Console will be upconverted to 480p, and will also run smoother (no slow downs in Perfect Dark anymore, if they could have it for Virtual Console) and the games might have some other extras too (they talked about maybe updating graphics of some NES and ugly SNES games).

Edit:
    Mind you, I wonder how many people will buy Zelda for their Gamecube? I also wonder what software Nintendo will produce for the two to three years following the launch of all their major franchises: the Wii may end up with the same problem the GC did - lack of regular good games. Fifteen Mario Party games will just not cut it IMO.
    If you have listened for what Nintendo has said, they're trying to not be in that situation again. Super Mario Galaxy might very well be the only (real) Mario game for Wii, Metroid Prime 3 is the last Metroid (at least in the Prime saga, so probably we won't be seeing Metroids after Prime 3 in the near future). They are consentrating on new IPs, of which you've already seen Excite Truck, Project H.A.M.M.E.R and Disaster. And if Wii is succesful, you will be seeing a lot more 3rd party support than there was for GameCube, and those (if Nintendo can't do it) will keep the games (like Sadness, Resident Evil, Trauma Center, Elebits, Red Steel etc. etc.) coming

(And is it just me or is the idea of simulating surgery with a wand reaaaally dumb? (Trauma Center Wii)).
    It's just you. And it's called Trauma Center: Second Opinion. :P

Now playing: PSP: Persona 3 Portable (3)DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D PS3: deBlob 2 PC: The Witcher 2
    Next In Line: Ghost Trick
    Recently Finished:

Forum Overseer

The only problem japanese are having is the price (not enough Japanese games yet)...the value doesn't meet its price yet. It's only a matter of time that PS3 will get its momentum back.

The value of Wii probably doesn't meet yet either but then again it's probably going to be cheap enough that even a few games will justify the price, hell probably the controller does already lol.

Elite Guru

Well, Sony doesn't exactly have anything to be ashamed of with the PSP. It was way more expensive then the DS or GBA at the time of release yet its reached 10 million sales far faster then any other Playstation product. Still selling very well in most regions.

As for the PS3. I saw this coming. The Wii is built for the Japanese market, nothing else. Its simply a gimmick item here in NA and will sell marginally well in Europe, but still you need games to go with your gimmick and right now theres not much that screams replay value on the Wii. It'll get eaten up in Japan sure, but those same people buying the Wii will most likely quickly save up another 500$ and buy a PS3 later for their favorite big franchises and all the new franchises Sony already has in the works.

So, I don't see Sony getting omfgownzed in Japan, but the Wii will definately sell alot better then the Gamecube or N64 thats for sure. The poor 360 will be at the bottom of the pile with Microsoft giving away 150 of the 250 units sold per month lol.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Aleman
    Quote Originally Posted by udontneed2know
    Well, Sony doesn't exactly have anything to be ashamed of with the PSP. It was way more expensive then the DS or GBA at the time of release yet its reached 10 million sales far faster then any other Playstation product. Still selling very well in most regions.
    Yea, except Japan of course.

Veteran

As for the PS3. I saw this coming. The Wii is built for the Japanese market, nothing else. Its simply a gimmick item here in NA and will sell marginally well in Europe, but still you need games to go with your gimmick and right now theres not much that screams replay value on the Wii. It'll get eaten up in Japan sure, but those same people buying the Wii will most likely quickly save up another 500$ and buy a PS3 later for their favorite big franchises and all the new franchises Sony already has in the works.

So, I don't see Sony getting omfgownzed in Japan, but the Wii will definately sell alot better then the Gamecube or N64 thats for sure. The poor 360 will be at the bottom of the pile with Microsoft giving away 150 of the 250 units sold per month lol.
    I believe the $500 PS3 will sell very well as alot of people will save money and use it mainly for gaming, DVD playback, some Blu-Ray playing here and there, and so on. The $600 PS3 is for the people who want to use all of the multimedia features to full extent as well as doing other things(like making homebrew or running Linux) as well as using it mainly for Blu-Ray playback and using HDMI for the big screen.

Forum Sage
    I honestly think sony are going to lose allot of market share this time, and its not going to be good for them.
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Superior Member
    Yea, except Japan of course.
    What do you mean? The PSP is third in total sales following the DS and PS2 according to magic-box.com. and they are still announcing new games for it including a remake of the origanal Kingfield (Please someone bring that out here!).

Thread Information