Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

patent infrigement

why dont these bastards leave sony alone

Sony has been having some trouble with patent disputes of late. In March 2005, Immersion Corporation won its lawsuit claiming that Sony's DualShock PlayStation and PlayStation 2 controllers infringed on its force-feedback patents. A judge ordered Sony to pay more than $90 million in damages, and earlier this year denied an attempt from the electronics giant to have the decision overturned.

Now Sony's in the middle of another patent fight, this one brought against the company by Pennsylvania-based Agere Systems. According to court documents, Agere (which has a pair of offices in Texas) has filed suit against Sony and a number of its divisions for willful infringement of eight patents in a number of its products, including the PSP, PlayStation 2, and based on announced specifications, the PlayStation 3. Sony VAIO computers, Handycams, Walkman players, Memory Stick Duos, and Location Free TV are also named as infringing offerings on some of the patents. The patents in question run from a "wireless local area network apparatus" to "barrier layer treatments for tungsten plug."

Agere is asking that each branch of Sony be made to provide an accounting of all gains made through their alleged infringements, and that the company be awarded damages to adequately compensate it based on those figures. Agere also claims that Sony knew about the patents and willfully infringed on them, so it is asking the courts to boost the damages awarded as much as three times what it would have been otherwise.

In its defense, Sony has denied all claims of infringement. It is arguing that it actually has the rights to use seven of the eight patents through a 1989 cross-licensing deal with AT&T and Lucent (whose microelectronics group eventually became Agere Systems). Sony also contends that some of the patents (including the one it doesn't claim a right to use) were not properly obtained because Agere omitted important information when it filed for them. Finally, Sony believes the patents in question are invalid anyway, and has asked the judge to declare them as such.

Agere denied Sony's counterclaims last month and has issued a demand for a jury trial.
    http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6153997.html

Superior Member

sounds like someone saw the results of the immersion lawsuit and now want's a cut of their own. look at all the trouble they're going through to try and get as much money as possible. it don't think this one will bode well for that company.

sounds like patent law suits are a quick way to make money now. maybe i should get patents on a few of my ideas.

Dedicated Member
    let it die. i am so sick of this drama with immersion. court pisses me off in general. ah well...

Welcome to the Gem...

Elite Guru
    So sony want to continue the trial from start again.
    Looks like sony still want the rumble if they can get it for a ery low price.

Panasonic TH-42PY800AZ, Onkyo TX-SR606 (black) , Polk RTi6
    PS3 60GB (JP) , 360 Pre 20GB (JP)

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hisame
    So sony want to continue the trial from start again.
    Looks like sony still want the rumble if they can get it for a ery low price.
    no this is a new company sueing sony

Ahead of the Game
    Has anybody patented Oxygen yet?

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by G_H_G
    what a good idea *runs off to patent oxygen*

but ive decided to not go uni because the way to make the serious amount of money is suing big company

in other unrelated news microsoft has also been sued aswell

Super Elite
    Items Atari
    This is just corporate BS. This kinda stuff happens all the time, cuz someone wants to make a quick buck. I think that Sony has this one won though, cuz they have the licencing deal, and plus the company didn't file the patent correctly. The Immersion lawsuit was a lost cause as sony didn't have any kind of deal with Immersion.
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

LexLuthor
    Is it just me or does it seem like Sony is falling apart of the seams? I mean how MUCH does SONY steal? These are BIG companies suing Sony, and Not Toshiba, or Samsung and they make similar products, so is Sony the only one that thinks it can take what it wants from other companies, Hell at these rate I wouldn't be suprised if thier was an INJUNCTION slapped on Sony to stop the PS3 before it EVER see's the light of DAY! Just like what happened to the Apple 2 clone in the 80's(Franklin it was called )

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    FightingPhantom
    God, this is gayy. I mean come on, Sony's got enough on their plate withouth having to deal with this bs. This is as bad as people suing Mcdonalds because they are lazy, fat-asses.

If you wan't to sue a big company, sue microsoft. They have unlimited cash. In the meantime, leave sony and the playstation alone
    Now with added "Next-Geny-ness"

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by GangstaB
    what a good idea *runs off to patent oxygen*

but ive decided to not go uni because the way to make the serious amount of money is suing big company

in other unrelated news microsoft has also been sued aswell
    Yeah, the EU slapped them with a ~350million USD worth of anti-trust claim not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LexLuthor
    Is it just me or does it seem like Sony is falling apart of the seams? I mean how MUCH does SONY steal? These are BIG companies suing Sony, and Not Toshiba, or Samsung and they make similar products, so is Sony the only one that thinks it can take what it wants from other companies, Hell at these rate I wouldn't be suprised if thier was an INJUNCTION slapped on Sony to stop the PS3 before it EVER see's the light of DAY! Just like what happened to the Apple 2 clone in the 80's(Franklin it was called )
    First of all, a company that operates out of Texas and doesn't even go internationally is NOT a "BIG" company .
    Second of all, how many times have Microsoft gotten sued, I haven't seen them fall apart yet. In case you didn't know, cases like these are really hard to uphold, and usually nothing is resolved. The Immersion patent trial was a rarity. I mean, stop being a blind sheep and look around Microsoft, how many times have they actually lost? Not that many. How many times have they been sued? More than anyone can count.
    No, but I plan on patenting Tax. BOOYEAH !
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

Forum Guru
    man this is just great news

Master Guru
    didn't Immersion want Sony to use their new technology with motion sensor and vibration in the new controller ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice
    I wonder if anyone was smart enough to patent patenting or they just didn't realize it yet.

Superior Member

G_H_G wrote:
    No, but I plan on patenting Tax. BOOYEAH !
    I wonder if anyone was smart enough to patent patenting or they just didn't realize it yet.
    oh man those were good

hummm, iiii wonder what i could patent....SUNLIGHT. * thinks of guiness commercial. BRILLIANT!!!!!

this whole case is a joke.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarkChild
    this whole case is a joke.
    It seems like that Sony used technology from 7 of the 8 patents, but may have had a license agreement. I don't think this is just a cash grab if the technology is being used.

Plus why are so many people complaining that companies are going after Sony. It's not like Sony is above the law or anything.
    For the PS3 to overtake the 360 by December 2007, it would have to outsell the 360 by 1.75M units a month worldwide. 7 million lead/4 months
    By 12/08-437,500/month By 12/09 - 250,000/month
    By 12/10 - 175,000/month As of 9-20-07

Super Elite
    This case is pointless all sony has to prove is that they had the agreement before....and case close...

maybe sony should patent its fanbase...if ms and nintenod use it...bomb have to pay sony royalties
    LOSING-if at first you donít succeed failure may just be your style

Created by Legend Killer

Forum Guru

patent infrigement

Quote Originally Posted by LexLuthor
    Right! Sony steals EVERYTHING they make and some things they don't

Feel better now?

i dont know if u people know or not. and i notice on any forum im browsing. but microsoft was also sued in that patent infringment case filed by immersion over rumble technology. but all anyone ever talks about being sued is sony.

Superior Member
    Im gonna go patent FIRE. IF anyone uses my FIRE which i will rename Miracle Glo' (Copywrite) I will get royalties for it. If when someone uses it without my approval/paying royalties I LL SUE YOUR ASS OFF!

Damn companies, lay off the damn law suits already. Make your own money. Sonys doing it. why cant you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear Shenyu View Post
    Skipping school to get the console is advised...I'm dead serious, those who choose school over PS3 either are Xbox fanboys, really really GTS or don't have the money.-Shenyu

dead_zen
    does anyone know what exactly the patents are for exactly that this company is claiming it holds?

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Larry L
    i dont know if u people know or not. and i notice on any forum im browsing. but microsoft was also sued in that patent infringment case filed by immersion over rumble technology. but all anyone ever talks about being sued is sony.
    yeah but microsoft came to an agreement and paid them but sony thought they could get away with not paying

Apprentice

I HATE this kind of companies that feed of others like leeches... If what they say is correct that Sony have used their technology without license even since the PS2 then WHY, o' WHY havent they said $#@! before NOW????? Is it simply because they want to make mooore money because now they can claim money of all the profit Sony has made from both PS2, PSP and the laptops? One short answer: YES! you cant bet your ass it is... If they would have filed suit against Sony the second they became aware of the patent infridgement, they would'nt have gotten that much money. You see this in all cases. Even the Immersion suit. Why did they wait soooo long before they filed suit? How long can it take Immersion to open up a DS/DS2 controller and find out that Sony has used their "patent"???? The longer they wait, the more money they can claim because of the sales of the hardware. If the court actually would dismiss a case like this simply because of this "waiting game" we could maybe see the end of the patent race, where companies just files patents in hope that they can bring on a lawsuit in the future and make some easy money...

let sony taste some of their own medicine, RIAA = Sonyīs greed.

Apprentice

Someone needs to patent FRIVOLOUS LAWSUITS, then sue all the F***ing idiots who bring them up in court! :P

As stated before, these are scumbags trying to earn a quick buck to line their already stuffed pockets.

Thread Information