Master Sage

Assassin's Creed....again

I know this is starting to get done to death but here we go again on another ride on the Assassin's Creed train.

This article is quite old now but i know many out their are interested in the game and this has a few parts mentioned in it that i had not known about
    Note: these guys saw the inhouse live demo at E3.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer
    Out of all the publishers at this year's E3, Ubisoft housed some of the most impressive games at the entire show, so much so that we had to wait for a certain Steven Spielberg to finish admiring their wares before we could squeeze into a tiny all-white demo room that was showing off its next big hope, Assassin's Creed. Made by an all-star Montreal team comprised of members that contributed to various incarnations of Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six, the buzz surrounding the game is understandably high already.

Coming next year to PlayStation 3 (and almost certainly other platforms too, but Ubi's not ready to announce those as yet), this open-ended third person action adventure seems determined to shoehorn in all the best bits of Oblivion, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Thief, Hitman and even GTA into one hugely impressive whole. Even after just 15 minutes in the company of the game, it's apparent that this isn't a title many of you will be able to ignore over the next 12 months or so.

Advertisement
    The official word on the game so far (of which there isn't much, sorry) speaks of the game being set in 1191 under the rule of Richard Lionheart, at a time when "the Third Crusade was tearing the holy land apart". Rather like an ancient version of Third Echelon, the Assassins operate under conditions of extreme secrecy and plot to put an end to the hostilities by "suppressing both sides of the conflict". The Sam Fisher of this particular affair is Altair (an Arabic name meaning 'the flying eagle' - the significance of which we'll discuss later), a wrist-blade wielding cold-eyed killer who apparently has "the power to throw their immediate environment into chaos and shape events during this pivotal moment in history." He certainly has the ability to whip out concealed swords or fire off arrows and pull off deadly murders at a moment's notice, that's for sure.

Total phwoar
    Get your hands off of my woman, motherflunka!
    A few of you might be muttering about you don't get on with medieval settings, but hold onto your impatient horses for a moment. One thing actually seeing the game suggested is that the game might not strictly be set in the ancient past. With some sort of futuristic (possibly time-travelling) element evident in the top left hand side of the HUD, there's much more to the game than perhaps Ubi is letting on.

For now, at least, the focus is very much on introducing some of the more basic elements of the game, such as showing us a bustling, richly detailed medieval city, some of the freedom available to you, the basic combat mechanics at your disposal and an insight into some of the crowd dynamics.

At the start of the demo we're show Altair riding into town on horseback, immediately drawing comparisons with Oblivion. Running in a far from optimised state, the game's still exceptionally beautiful to behold, with detailed rolling landscape giving way to intricate medieval architecture that gives a more seamless impression of a proper sandbox environment (as opposed to the walled cities favoured by Bethesda's opus).

Strolling into one of the three bustling cities in the game itself, Altair mixes unnoticed among a throng of impoverished looking fellow citizens that won't bother you unless you start doing things to draw attention to yourself.

Crowded art
    Horse riding videogames: the new lens flare!
    Unlike Rockstar North's classics, or even the more recent Oblivion, the thing to note is how advanced and convincing the crowd spectacle actually is in comparison. Instead of each person looking like the usual variations on a theme, each NPC we could see was dressed differently, was facially unique and all moved around with a degree of diverse realism that has eluded videogames up to now. Better still was the way Altair moved past everyone, rather like you would if you were trying to snake your way through a crowded bar or train platform. Instead of just barging past people, he inconspicuously used his hands to hold people to one side to slink through without knocking into them. Key to your success is blending in, because even a deadly assassin might struggle an angry mob - especially, for example, heavily armed guards.

Rather like a more advanced set of GTA crowd dynamics, if you start shoving people around, or jumping around and acting strange and suspicious in any way you can expect people to respond in kind, changing facial expressions to reflect surprise. If you attack someone, for example, people won't just scatter and scream in dumb uniform panic, but do so in a coherent, believable manner at the sight of someone writhing in pain. Some might flee in panic, others might act the vigilante and make it tough for you to get away, some might just stop and stare. As expected, choice is just as important to Assassin's Creed as any next generation videogame, and if being aggressive is how you want to play it, then you will have the ability to be as brutal and surly as you want, shoving innocents out of the way and creating havoc wherever you travel. Sometimes it's fun just to see what could happen.

In common with Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia, the control flexibility of the lead character is fundamental to the gameplay, with the Ubisoft rep pointing out that Altair can grab hold of any surface that extends more than two inches. With so many games still designed around dated principles of what you can and cannot climb up, Assassin's Creed adopts a much looser approach. In motion it's an incredibly fluid system that works beautifully in tandem with the slick hand-drawn animation, and it'll be interesting to see whether giving players a much freer means of negotiating the environment makes for a more intuitive, more logical gaming experience. In some sense, when we see Altair climbing up buildings and hopping between rooftops, it immediately reminds us of some of the Two Thrones levels - something the designer admits was an influential factor - albeit with the kind of freedom you always craved.

Dinner dinner catman
    Even from these heady heights, the lack of personal hygiene in the 12th century was apparent.
    In motion, the real revelation is how natural and athletic it all looks, with superb transitional animations making everything look possible. As Altair scales buildings, it's fluid and graceful, like a human with feline abilities. The fact that the movement system was inspired by the rooftop-hopping freerunning sport (the BBC employed some of these maniacs for its series of transition clips a few years back, you may recall) is evident. Think of it as a more natural evolution of Prince of Persia's movement set, hopping gracefully from beam to beam.

Gaining a high vantage point, a scripted element in the demo mission kicked in to show us how Altair's 'eagle eye' abilities work. With the target glowing below (rather like the Ready Brek kid) and the edge of the screen stylishly blurred for effect, Altair was able to easily work out where his victim lay. In one instance the Ubi rep demonstrated how we could mingle with a group of clergymen and swiftly use the wrist knife to kill our target, while in another we attempted it using our bow from a high vantage point. Again, the choice is there; one is more accurate and more reliable, while the other gives you a potentially quicker escape route over rooftops.

If you're on the ground, though, the panic that ensues is tricky to simply run away from. One thing not immediately apparent in the demo is the momentum system that Ubi is using for when Altair runs. As with real life, the faster you run the harder it becomes to maintain your footing. Trying to leg it at speed might seem the obvious solution, but be prepared to stumble if something gets in your path. In fact, this is exactly the scenario our demo man wanted to play out, as despite showing off some brutal counter attacks (stepping to one side, avoiding a blow and grabbing the assailant's head and violently smashing him to the floor one such example), the angry mob's sheer weight of numbers eventually got the better of Altair and knocked him out, with the screen distorting to fade. System offline you say? What's that all about? Curiouser and curiouser. Is Altair being controlled by someone in the future? Has he travelled back in time to change the course of history?

Whatever they're up to, Assassin's Creed is arguably Ubi's most exciting new title since it hit us with a Splinter Cell-Prince of Persia double whammy back in 2002. With incredibly graceful animation, open-ended and extremely beautiful environments, advanced AI and the promise of slick combat, there's every reason to suggest that this could be another enormous success for Ubisoft. As soon as we get our first hands-on, we'll be sure to report back with how this intriguing looking title is shaping up.

Assassin's Creed is due for release in 2007. A PlayStation 3 release has been confirmed, but speculation is rife that it will also come to the Xbox 360 as well.
    Link- http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64920

Forum Sage
    They have a 2 page special in the latest official xbox magazine talking about assassins creed like its coming to the 360, Dont official magazines have any laws anymore.

First Bioshock in the official PS2 magazine now official xbo0x mag with assasins creed. Its annoying.

It also had merceneries 2 in their.
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Elite Sage
    They have a 2 page special in the latest official xbox magazine talking about assassins creed like its coming to the 360, Dont official magazines have any laws anymore.

First Bioshock in the official PS2 magazine now official xbo0x mag with assasins creed. Its annoying.

It also had merceneries 2 in their.
    I know. If this really is the marketing trick made by Ubisoft and makers of Bioshock, I won't be happy. I don't like it that they play with us like this. =(
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Veteran
    Perhaps it coming to the 360 and we don't know about it yet. Despite that they shouldn't be able to do it with out telling us first. As long as ubisoft says nothing i'll believe it's PS3 exclusive.

YAY 1000th post.

Elite Guru

Well, its the unspoken law among 360 owners and magazines/websites that AC is hitting the system simply because Ubisoft hasn't come out and said " AC is 360 exclusive ". Without those words you'll continue to see AC on Xbox magazines and hear about it coming to the 360. Even though at every opportunity Ubisoft has denied its hitting any other system and has only talked about it on the PS3.

Great information though. Gameplay sounds incredibly fun and sophisticated in this title. So much for those in-order processors not being able to handle realistic AI eh?
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Superior Member
    AC is going to Ubisoft's Prince of Persia for the next-gen consoles. There's no way it's going to be exclusive for very long.

I didn't want your rep points anyways, jerk.

barney_2k
    i dont think its gonna matter ...

exclusive or not its going to be a great game on the PS3

who cares if its on 360 as well

its probably better as the developers get more money to improve the sequel!

Barney

Pr0LiFiX
    I think that Assassin's Creed is gonna be one hell of a game and I don't think it matters if its an exclusive or not.

Veteran
    Well atleast we know that it will ultilize the PS3 and be ported down to the 360(like what they did with Top Spin which turned out horribly on the PS2).
    Resistance 2, KillZone 2, WarDevil, MGS4, God Of War 3, Final Fantasu XIII, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, and a alot more, how can 2008 not be the PS3's year.

bk_version_1337
    I hate how if a 3rd party game looks good on one console there are people saying it will be ported to another. Like I am in other forums where people try to convince me that MGS4 will come out for 360 and be better the same with Unreal Tournament 2007 if there is no announcement for another console then you have no right to try and say with authority that it will be on the other console as well. I know most Sony fans don't go to Nintendo forums and say Red Steel (Ubisoft game) will be on PS3 because it looks good for Nintendo Wii. There are so many links proving that it will be exclusive that it shouldn't really be a subject for debate anymore until we hear an official announcement. Like Katamari Nintendo fans bragged about how on ds it would be the best game ever and its not on DS its discontinued.

Aleman
    Quote Originally Posted by bk_version_1337
    There are so many links proving that it will be exclusive that it shouldn't really be a subject for debate anymore until we hear an official announcement.
    Actually there aren't, but whatever, I'd rather not hijack the thread.

Apprentice
    AC may be ported over to the XBox 360, but the game's graphics and AI may be better on the PS3 just like Splinter Cell appeared better on the XBox than the PS2.

bk_version_1337
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleman
    There are so many links proving that it will be exclusive that it shouldn't really be a subject for debate anymore until we hear an official announcement.
    http://www.ps3land.com/article-461.php
    http://www.clubskill.com/?view=article&article=3451
    http://www.mozlapunk.net/homepage/?p=617
    http://www.news4gamers.com/ps3/News-3726.aspx

just to post a few i know there are some sites that say the opposite but those are like a german website got an exclusive interview with ubisoft and only have like 1 quote

Elite Sage

just to post a few i know there are some sites that say the opposite but those are like a german website got an exclusive interview with ubisoft and only have like 1 quote
    There is one more link from trustful site too.
    http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/?id=7819 (swedish, don't bother)
    I find it so funny that when some site puts a rumor about AC being multiplatform, internet explodes. When there is a rumor about it being exclusive, no sites talks about it. Just look at Bioshock. There are rumors that it will come to PS3 but still quiet. AC coming to 360 -> HOLY COW STOP THE PRESS, we got rumor!
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Duin

There is one more link from trustful site too.
    http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/?id=7819 (swedish, don't bother)
    I find it so funny that when some site puts a rumor about AC being multiplatform, internet explodes. When there is a rumor about it being exclusive, no sites talks about it. Just look at Bioshock. There are rumors that it will come to PS3 but still quiet. AC coming to 360 -> HOLY COW STOP THE PRESS, we got rumor!
    Okay guys i'm sure everyone is sick of the AC exclusive to PS3 or not thing. How bout we just wait and see as the time gets closer

Peace

Veteran
    Well the thing is , some people just won't let it go.
    Resistance 2, KillZone 2, WarDevil, MGS4, God Of War 3, Final Fantasu XIII, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, and a alot more, how can 2008 not be the PS3's year.

Thread Information