Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    ERC1980
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    When I posted this I knew in the back of my mind that someone would have posted this in the GOW3 thread but I posted it here because this is not just about GOW3. it's something that could be done in new PS3 games for now on out.
    oh it's cool i understand.

not everyone here checks out the official GOW3 thread on a regular basis.

but i think that info i posted seemed mainly ignored, so i'm glad you made a thread for it.

you probably could have put it in the ps3 games section though.

Master Guru
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ab...lanet-2/100073

Now We can add Little Big Planet 2 to the list of MLAA games helped by the Cell.

this is really making PS3 games look good. LBP2 is looking like toy story

this game look too perfect! I can't wait to see this used in more PS3 games.

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Way better than the E3 demo???
    Looks like it wasn't just PR BS after all.

Master Guru
    I'm still in disbelief at how clean LBP2 is the "video game" look is gone! the fur look as it would in real life. I think this is a new level.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I can't wait to see the other games at e3.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    I had been amazed at good GOW III looked, I have been playing The Saboteur at the moment and you can see the character designs are smooth but I wouldn't say it looks as good as GOW III...

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Sony needs to pass this tech on to 3rd party developers. Alot of multiplatform games on PS3 suffer from terrible jaggies while the 360 versions will have 2xAA or even 4xAA.

Master Guru
    I think this type of AA quality is way beyond the regular 4xaa one.Its looks so clean almost like its 16x or more
    Good "night" my baby...i will always remember you.I love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Master Guru

God of War 3 now this!

I can't wait to see other PS3 games use this and just how good this can get as they code it to perfection.

for some reason this make me want to see a new game like Mortal Kombat where they use real people in the game in HD with MLAA

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by arfi-gorgona-O View Post
    I think this type of AA quality is way beyond the regular 4xaa one.Its looks so clean almost like its 16x or more
    look at the ball of fur that's close the screen! this really is close to perfect I really don't think I have ever seen anything like this in a game. it's like there is no video game like you're just looking at a real ball of fur.

whatever they used to scan the fur into this game they need to use it to scan people into games and it will look like real life if they can get it that clear.

Master Guru
    PS3 owns man,this is why i love Sony they know how to build a system.PS4 ftw and Cell 2 or whatever....pls make it happen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    is this the same AA engine used in The Saboteur?

Darji
    Quote Originally Posted by arfi-gorgona-O View Post
    yes its basicly like 16XAA^^

Also according to a twitter post Starhawk will use it too. at least people think that it will use it^^

I wonder how Killzone 3 will look with MLAA^^

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Darji View Post
    yes its basicly like 16XAA^^
    No, it's not and the methaphor needs to die.

In case of long edge and AA gradient is the only considered quality factor, no sampling based method can be as good, it basically is NxAA. (>256xAA)
    When considering small triangles and high frequency details, it is about as good as 1xAA or worse.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    jlippone, it's a simile, not a metaphor

Just wanted to open with a humorous side before it gets serious.

Can you explain what your post means to a non-techy person, like me. Is there any examples you can show?

Darji
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    No, it's not and the methaphor needs to die.

In case of long edge and AA gradient is the only considered quality factor, no sampling based method can be as good, it basically is NxAA. (>256xAA)
    When considering small triangles and high frequency details, it is about as good as 1xAA or worse.
    Again I dont understand much about these things but i can cleary see the results of that and normaly its atleast better then 4XAA.

for 16XAA so far I know even computers would struggle with hD textures.

The PS3 rendition of Pandemic's The Saboteur is different though. It's special. It's trying something new that's never been seen before on console, or indeed PC, and its results are terrific. In a best-case scenario you get edge-smoothing that is beyond the effect of 16x multi-sampling anti-aliasing, effectively delivering an effect better than the capabilities of high-end GPUs without crippling performance. Compare and contrast with Xbox 360 hardware, which tops out at 4x MSAA.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-aa-blog-entry

also a great read but for me its way too complicated^^

http://visual-computing.intel-resear...tions/mlaa.pdf

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    jlippone, it's a simile, not a metaphor

Just wanted to open with a humorous side before it gets serious.

Can you explain what your post means to a non-techy person, like me. Is there any examples you can show?
    indeed it is.

It's not easy to explain, but ill try.
    Traditional antialiasing methods like SSAA and MSAA are sampling based.
    So they sample each surface within the pixel X times and write the result to the image.
    In case of MSAA it basically tests if each sample location actually hits the polygon or not.
    in 4xAA the pixel looks like this when only one sample was within the polygon.

Pixel
    xx
    xX

When whole image is rendered those 4 samples are averaged to get final color.

In case of MLAA the 'final' color is the point where the algorithm actually starts doing it's job and no antialiasing has been done before.

What it does is basically finding edges on the image and fitting lines on them

.............XXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

After finding the edge it calculates lenght of edge in pixels (here it is 13) and fits gradient to it.
    Then it blends the color of botton row pixel to the upper row with the gradient as a mask and it's done.

.....----====XXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This is repeated to whole image.
    This is also cause of some of the problems, it cannot find edges smaller than pixel. (actually 2)

Intels paper on MLAA does explain things with some pictures and so on, but can be tech heavy.

Veteran
    GOW3 is the cleanest I've seen. I hope all the exclusive incorporate this from now on.

I could only tell on maybe one or two places on Krato's shoulder armor that was jagged.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTenth666 View Post
    is this the same AA engine used in The Saboteur?
    God of War 3 took it to a new level. and from the looks of it LBP2 might take it even higher, but that might just be the art style mixed with the lighten and MLAA.

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    LOOK AT THE FUR.

Master Guru
    Isn't it nice to be able to do that in your CPU without compromising graphics quality?What a brilliant design the PS3 has...I hope this will be implemented in every exclusive game from now on (and not only).I'm so eager to see team ICO's game....Its getting better and better with every new exclusive that is out.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    LOOK AT THE FUR.
    I know it's crazy but I just read the info from Edge and I think that might have more to do with the 'Transparency effects' I really have never seen anything like this in a game, it's like they just picked the fur up and placed it in the game.

"Transparency effects for clouds and feathers and better lighting, with shadows, god rays, volumetric fog and objects, like burning wood, casting lights

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FznvOLtbofs"]YouTube- Cool Playstation Eye Tech Demo[/ame]

I really hope that LBP2 use this tech and let use scan real objects into the game .

Darji
    I dont think that this will be possible. Not because the game would not be able to handle it but because of copywright and child-protection issuse.

People are not really mature enough to use such tools

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale
    I dont think that this will be possible. Not because the game would not be able to handle it but because of copywright and child-protection issuse.

As much as it would of been cool for LBP2 to have such a feature there are those people who will ruin it all.

Master Guru

they already let you take pictures with the PS-Eye and put it in the game anyway all this is doing is taking the background out of the pictures so you don't have to do it yourself.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    MLAA
    Do you kow what sort of cost this operation has when done on Cell? I think SSM said they were spreading it over a few SPU's but I don't know how much time of each one it's taking up.

Thread Information