Rapture

10 Things you Need to Know About Portal 2

#1 It’s a full-sized game

Where Portal was a small but beautifully-formed piece of bite-sized perfection, Portal 2 is a full-fat, full-sized release. Valve isn’t giving details of the exact running time yet, but Portal 2 is a standalone game with a bigger, much expanded campaign. The development team has grown from eight members to twenty-eight, and in-keeping with the bulked-up design philosophy, Portal 2 even has…

#2 A separate co-op campaign

Recognising that most people played Portal in unofficial co-op anyway (one player firing the portals, another sitting behind offering up ideas), Valve is now giving both players a character and a Portal gun. Running in parallel with the single-player campaign, co-op uses two new characters; humanoid robots evolved from a gun torrent and one of GLaDOS' spare personality cores.

While single-player is being kept sedate for the sake of maintaining the same thoughtful progression we loved in the first game, having a partner to bounce ideas off will allow Portal 2’s co-op to be a little more demandingly hardcore. Puzzles range from simple cases of using four Portals to carve paths through the environment to more frantic affairs, requiring players on separate paths to open up routes for each other through otherwise lethal areas. And yes, GLaDOS will use the co-op dynamic to snarkily play the protagonists off each other. There’s split-screen, online, and to help players co-ordinate logistically complex tasks, it’s also possible to tag the environment with visual instructions for your partner. But going back to the single-player…

#3 Chell is back

With the recent update to the first game extending the ending to show Chell dragged back into Aperture Science following her escape, it’s now confirmed that she’ll be the protagonist again. Given the tense and beautifully nuanced relationship built between her and GLaDOS in the first game, Valve is eager to build upon what has gone before. Everything is the same, but at the same time, everything is now different. For example…

#4 It’s set hundreds of years later

Chell has been in stasis for at least a couple of centuries. In that time, the wrecked Aperture Science facilities have gone to wrack and ruin. While the pristine testing chambers remain, many of them have fallen apart and become overgrown with plant-life. This creates a captivating visual style (gleaming white sterility juxtaposed with sprawling organic life and sunlight), but also opens up much more varied environmental navigation possibilities.

You’ll also see a lot more of the Aperture labs. With the whole place in a state of extreme decay, GLaDOS’ attempts to restart the testing procedure are obviously up against a few challenges. So as she reconfigures the test chambers, she’ll have to send you through a great deal more of the broken-down ‘back-stage’ areas you explored at the end of the first Portal. So as well as seeing more of the place and its sordid back-story, your relationship with the ever-present digital dominatrix will constantly be broken up and punctuated with periods of tense silence. Unless of course, it’s a double-bluff, and she’s secretly watching you the whole time. But there are even more key changes to the environment. Such as…

#5 Talking NPCs

Don’t go fearing an Aperture Science populated with atmosphere-killing human characters. Chell is still the only fleshy around. Instead, Valve has been characteristically smart by populating the labs with sentient personality cores (that warehouse full of computerised brain balls at the end of Portal had to be for something, right?)
    One of these cores is responsible for the whole story. Named Wheatley, he’s become frustrated by his static nature (the cores are all constrained by being attached to rails in certain rooms), and realizing that jumping from his perch with probably smash his insides out, he reactivates Chell for help. But despite the new characters, Portal 2 is…

#6 It's still all about the player

Like Half-Life 2, Portal was a personal journey, with Chell’s interactions with GlaDOS and the environment at large perfectly pitched to immerse the player on an unbroken one-to-one level. That’s just as much a consideration here, so don’t fear any annoying robot Navis pushing you to do anything or throwing out intrusive hints. When you get down to business they’ll shut the hell up. And you’ll need the time to think, because…

#7 There’s a lot more to do

If the first game was a physics playground, Portal 2 is a theme park. Where your interactions with the areas through portals once consisted only of moving Weighted Storage Cubes through them and launching energy balls from one trajectory to another, there’s now a whole new rulebook of possibilities.
    Pneumatic Diversity Vents (those big Perspex sucky pipes that transport objects around the lab) now work through portals, meaning that you can, for example, suck up gun turrets from a room away. There are also now tractor beams and holographic bridges that work in the same way, extending your reach through portals in an exponentially more tactile fashion. And that’s just the start. There’s also…

#8 Physics-bending paint

Yeah, paint. It sounds weird, but it also sounds amazing. Certain areas will be smeared with dynamic liquid colour which affects the properties of anything it touches. So far we know of two flavours. Orange paint acts as an accelerator, vastly increasing Chell’s (and presumably anything else’s) movement speed on floors. Blue paint turns things rubbery, making Weighted Cubes into bouncing pinballs and turning walls into vertical trampolines, allowing Prince of Persia-style wall-jumps.
    And the best bit? By linking up portals and paint dispensers, you can redirect the paint flow onto any surface you like. Mark our words, this is going to be amazing. As in fact, are the…

#9 Brand new objects

No longer will your inanimate love-objects be limited to cubes. Now there are plenty of things to become unhealthily attached to. There are Redirection Cubes, which are essentially mirrored Companion Cubes which can be placed around the room to reflect the path of Aperture’s Thermal Discouragement Beams (read: smoking-hot death lasers). Think that laser puzzle from Resi 5, only 1000% more awesome.
    There are also Ariel Faith Plates, which act like massive jump accelerators (we assume for both Chell and any objects in the area) and Weighted Storage Balls. The latter are spherical versions of the Companion Cube which slot into buckets rather than being dropped on pressure plates. The possibilities for linking these with all of the above already has us dreaming of the Marble Madness of MC Escher’s nightmares. And most promisingly of all for obsessed Portal meme-fiends…

#10 Music is a much bigger deal

Jonathon Coulton (scribe of the now-legendary ‘Still Alive’) is back on board as song-writer. But while GLaDOS’ iconic swansong will probably make it back in some form, Valve is looking at far more creative ways to integrate new music into the environment. One great example so far is the use of music as a weapon. At one point, GLaDOS uses the threat of Smooth Jazz as a behavioral deterrent. Christ knows what she’ll be like if she ever gets hold of Country.
    http://www.gamesradar.com/f/portal-2...08121148674036

Portal 2 will be incredible! Boggles my mind when people say that the Source Engine is outdated or valve doesn't know what they're doing.

Apprentice
    #11 It's not being released on PS3

Superior Member
    dude. if #11 is true, I hate you =( got my hopes up.

Apprentice
    Unfortunately it's PC, Mac and 360. Hopefully it gets ported eventually.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by oli821 View Post
    dude. if #11 is true, I hate you =( got my hopes up.
    Nope, currently it's only announced for the X360 and PC. Things can still change. If what Valve said is true, and they are looking at developing for the PS3, it could just be that they are trying to take their time to understand the architecture before they develop games for it. If that's the case, then Portal 2 on PS3 may be likely providing there is no deal with Microsoft.

Portal is only one of the reasons I still consider Valve one of the premier developers of the current generation. Half Life is still one of the best FPS games to grace the market, and Episode 3 is sure to be awesome, while Left 4 Dead is one of the only series I have seen that forces players to cooperate with each other.

However, I never imagined that Portal could be improved on this much. Portal 2 looks to be amazing. I would even say that it's definitely a contender for game of the year.

Elite Sage
    Items Manchester United
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    source engine works best on PC anyway IMO... but i wish PS3 gamers could play this wonderful game... it looks amazing, i cant wait
    Love United
    --------

I am going to optimistically assume that Valve hasn't said anything about Episode 3 because it will tie together the Portal and Half-Life games, and Portal 2's story needs to be told before that happens.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce.

Rapture
    Quote Originally Posted by jesalbond View Post
    I am going to optimistically assume that Valve hasn't said anything about Episode 3 because it will tie together the Portal and Half-Life games, and Portal 2's story needs to be told before that happens.
    Haha, source where I found it. Very nice copy posting.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme...topic=53835423

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Haha, source where I found it. Very nice copy posting.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme...topic=53835423
    Are you suggesting he's a different person or that he copied his post from GameFAQs and then posted it here? He could be the same person with a different user-name between here and GameFAQs.

It doesn't mean anything unless you could prove they were different persons.

Think4aSec
    1 more Thing its not coming to PS3

LOL stupid thread.

Superior Member
    12. The cake is a lie
    "You're so young and curious aren't you? You just want to know it all, and taste it all, explore it all, be it all, dance with it all, suck it all don't you?"

You know I don't consider girls below a c-cup women.

Rapture
    Quote Originally Posted by Think4aSec View Post
    1 more Thing its not coming to PS3
    Since when? I don't recall Valve making any such announcement.

fleinn
    13. If you wake up from stasis after 100 years, Valve will have made three hundred sequels that never really could touch the original.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinnan View Post
    Nope, currently it's only announced for the X360 and PC. Things can still change. If what Valve said is true, and they are looking at developing for the PS3, it could just be that they are trying to take their time to understand the architecture before they develop games for it. If that's the case, then Portal 2 on PS3 may be likely providing there is no deal with Microsoft.
    They had years to understand the architecture while others like Infinity Ward managed to port their far more powerful engine instantly. Either they are really incompetent or there is actually a deal with Microsoft going on. Actually I'm still quite puzzled why it's so hard for them to port such an old engine which still runs fine on single core processors on the PC.

Elite Member
    As yet, this isn't coming to PS3 and Valve have announced the platforms that it IS coming to. Maybe somewhere much further down the line, but for now this is in the wrong section.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by King_of_Games View Post
    12. The urinal cake is a lie
    Fixed, lol

Twitter:--17taurus82.--YouTube/Last.fm:--taurus170582.
    Wishlist:
    --HD ICO & Shadow of the Colossus on BD.
    The Myst Series Remade Using CryEngine 3 for PS3/PC/360.

bachlab99
    This thread is in the wrong section.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Unless they'll work on the PS3 version after, if not, Valve lied once again with PS3 development.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Master Guru
    11-****ty port coming later to PS3.
    PLAYING: DRIVER SAN FRANCISCO, TEAM ICO HD COLLECTION, BF3 BETA.
    GETTING: UNCHARTED 3, BATTLEFIELD 3, TWISTED METAL, LAST GUARDIAN (RELASE DATE?)

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bachlab99 View Post
    This thread is in the wrong section.

Rapture
    No offense, but you guys could have simply report the topic instead of stating the thread was in the wrong section repeatedly. Don't do it now though, I just did.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
    They had years to understand the architecture while others like Infinity Ward managed to port their far more powerful engine instantly. Either they are really incompetent or there is actually a deal with Microsoft going on. Actually I'm still quite puzzled why it's so hard for them to port such an old engine which still runs fine on single core processors on the PC.
    That assertion is, simply put, laughable. Valve's founder, Gabe Newell, used to work for Microsoft (Mike Herrington also founded Valve along with Newell but he doesn't work at Valve any longer although he was an employee at Microsoft before he founded Valve, just like Newell). Valve possibly preferred development on Microsoft systems (I don't think there ever was any exclusivity deal between them and Microsoft). Just recently, however, Valve announced that they were looking into PS3 development - the first time they really did such a thing. The other times Valve games appeared on the PS3 were games not done by Valve but done by EA studios porting Valve games.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Unless they'll work on the PS3 version after, if not, Valve lied once again with PS3 development.
    They wouldn't have lied unless they stated this: "We are going to bring Portal 2 to the PS3." Obviously they have said no such thing. They have said that they are looking into PS3 development (I don't think they ever said, at least definitively, whether or not they would bring any of their games to the PS3 though - just that they were looking into it and wanted to do it right if it was done).

Veteran
    I'll buy it at a high price!

Thread Information