Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

[Playstation 3] Yakuza 3

Release Date: 3/9/2010
    Price: $9.99 (used)

Yakuza first made it's appearance on the Playstation 2 in 2005. After great success, the PS2 was greeted by Yakuza 2 in 2008. The first 2 games only managed an average score of 7.5/10 but it was good enough to produce a 3rd and even a 4th title which is about to release in Japan. Read to find out if Yakuza 3 can surpass the expectations that the previous 2 had left for it.....

Story - 8/10

I personally have never played a Yakuza game before but I was happy to see that you have the option to watch a recap on both the previous games. This really helped me to understand the characters and the purpose of this third title.
    A couple years have passed since the 2nd game and you now have an orphanage with 9 children. You ditched the suit and tie and you are enjoying the beaches and nice weather...Of course that would be too perfect, wouldn't it?
    The government hired a construction company to build a new resort and you have a piece of property that the government needs to proceed with the plans. Of course you orphanage is sitting right on this property. The government is filled with families that will do anything to get their plans to carry out. What was meant to be a nice relaxing retirement has now turned in to an action packed, free roaming game that requires your witt and skills to make sure the government does not take control of your land. You will do whatever it takes to protect these kids, especially since one of them is the daughter of the woman you loved so much....

Graphics - 8/10

While the cutscenes look amazing, the rest of the game just looks okay. Nicely detailed cities and beaches fill the game with lots of pedestrians walking around. You will notice people just popping up on screen as you are running down the street and you will probably notice that the bushes do not exactly look like the belong on a PS3 game. But you will take great satisfaction knowing that the game is in 1080p and definately looks fantastic....most of the time. The characters have a lot of detail with their tattoo's, cuts and scars. The shops all have some serious detail as well. The cars kind of look like crappy micro machines from the early 1990's. Fight sequences look really good with cuts and blood appearing as you fight. Finishing the fight with a stomp to the head shows off a nice slow motion bloody sequence.

Sound - 7/10

The sound is probably my least favorite of this title. With all of the voice-overs being in Japanese, we have to read all of the captions on the bottom of the screen. This becomes a pain in the but when you want to watch the action on the screen but instead you have to read what is going on. The voice work seems very well done. The problem is that I can not understand anything they say.
    The music in the game sucks lol. To me it seems the Japanese are just a few years behind in terms of good music. Maybe it is more like a decade. I definately have heard worse music and the score in this one is tolerable.

Gameplay - 9/10

This is where Yakuza 3 really excells. There is just so much to do in this game. Besides the main story there are over 80 substories you can do. Tons of mini games like golf, fishing, poker, darts, poker, blackjack, karaoke, bowling, batting cages, and more. These are not just quick slap em together mini games either. These are all very fun and very well thought out.
    During battle you earn "Heat" power. This will allow you to finish off your opponent with a finishing move. There some nice extras in the game that are called "Revelations" and "Chase". Revelations are email messages sent to your phone. You will need to go to the location where a trigger can be seen and you then switch to first person mode and use your phone to record the triggered event. A Chase sequence happens when you are confronted with an option to do so. For example if a women just had her purse stolen and you want to chase after the guy, you will trigger a Chase event that does not stop until you have caught the guy.

Throughout your adventure you will need to gain experience points to level up your skills. This is all done by fighting, helping, eating, gambling,revelations, chases, and so on. You will also need to train to earn certificates to purchase certain weapons. After you earn you certificate you will also be able to mod your weapons. There is someone you meet early on who can do this for you, for a price.

Overall - 8/10

Despite having to read all the horrible dialogue in this game, I am having a fantastic time with it. I spent over an hour playing darts and shooting pool. The ability to free roam and do what you want when you want, really makes this game comfortable to just pick up and play. The ingredients are all properly placed in this title, giving Yakuza 3 "Lethal's Stamp of Approval".

Pros:
    Free roam cities
    Tons of mini games
    Great looking cutscenes
    Lots of replay value

Cons:
    No english voiceovers
    Some really cheesy dialogue
    Gameplay graphics could be better
    Last edited by Lethal; 12-15-2012 at 22:17.

Elite Member
    great review . ^^
    been waiting for this game .

Cons:
    No english sub-titles
    don't you mean no english dubs !

Darji
    you really need to lower the score because of the cuts. And no I am not talking about the hostess thing or even shogi and mahjong. I am talking about many sidemissions which were als very funny.

Alone until Chapter 5: these are the missing ones so far.

I Wanna Go to Tokyo pt. 1
    The Brewer's Treasure
    Make the No. 1 Cabaret Club Girl!
    English Conversation Solicitor step 1
    English Conversation Solicitor step 2
    Love's Cupid
    Love's Cupid Continues
    Love's Cupid Continues Again
    A Trip Before Marriage
    Manga Artist Debut (Mangaka Debut)
    The Runaway Phone Chat Girl (Terekura Iede Musume)
    I Wanna Go to Tokyo pt. 2
    Great Genius Showdown
    Is she talking about me...?
    Ayukawa Rina***

Great Job Sega......

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasor View Post
    great review . ^^
    been waiting for this game .

don't you mean no english dubs !

Thanks for pointing that out.

Darji - The score is just where it needs to be. The crappy dialogue does not ruin the fun gameplay that this game offers.

Darji
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Darji - The score is just where it needs to be. The crappy dialogue does not ruin the fun gameplay that this game offers.
    So its ok that they left out alot of really funny side missions?
    Maybe you have other standards then me....

Apprentice
    Great review Lethal! Amazon has shipped my copy so hopefully I'll recieve this by Satuday! Can't wait to get stuck in

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Darji View Post

I have not played the japanese version so to me it is not missing anything.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darji View Post
    Afterall its HIS review.

Master Guru
    other than the lack of english voicing this game from the screens looks great and I rewally want it
    those cons however are very annoying to me
    but otherwise i hope to get this game someday
    "Everything that has ever happened has been leading up to this very moment"

"What happened to bros before hoes?" "Well, this one isn't a hoe, so she's first."

SnowHawk
    I'm going to give this game a solid 9, I just love it. Sure things could of been done better but it's an amazing experience.

Forum Sage
    Is it REALLY that hard to read the subtitles? Yakuza doesn't NEED english voice-acting, it's perfect the way it is. The first Yakuza already proved that English dubs in a game like Yakuza just don't work.

Now playing: PSP: Persona 3 Portable (3)DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D PS3: deBlob 2 PC: The Witcher 2
    Next In Line: Ghost Trick
    Recently Finished:

Forum Elder

i was so happy playing the demo the voices were untouched, thats a big pro for me in a game like this

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_T View Post
    i was so happy playing the demo the voices were untouched, thats a big pro for me in a game like this

I guess I am just different. I just hate having to read the horrible dialogue in this game. Its so damn cheesy lol

On the bright side, I am 11hrs in to the game and I am only 9% through the game. I just made it to Tokyo.

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    Nice review, I'd be playing if it weren't for FFXIII. Oh well, there's summer

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Out of a rating of 10, how many school girls are present in this game.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Superior Member
    Thanks for your thoughts i probably just rent this one
    TFIGEGKTB

Superior Member
    Got this game for 52.99 and its a good game so far

Master Guru
    I'm hoping to pick this up soon. I thought the demo was pretty bad when I first played it but I played it a few more times and it grew on me. Karaoke with that random girl was fun and I spent a few thousand Yen getting everything out of the UFO catcher

Apprentice
    nice review...i also plan on picking this up as soon as it comes into my best buy!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Great review as always Lethal. Will be picking this up but not until maybe mid summer when I have completed all these games coming out now.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_T View Post
    Seconded. I enjoyed the first two, so I'll be picking this one up eventually as well...

^ Shaundi:
    Saints Row 3 version
    Consoles: PS3 / PS2 / PS1 / 360 / Xbox / Gamecube / N64 / Dreamcast / Saturn
    Games: Collection (**Updated 2/24/11**)
    PSN ID: Weareninja

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Ugh.. definitely not a game for me. 7/10 would be what I rate it. I doubt I'd pay to rent this one.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Nice review, i played first 10 mins of the demo and i think this is one of the most awful games in the history of gaming

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Master Poster
    good review.. pretty much made my mind up not to get it. dont really like the fighting system + the graphics arent the best. so ill give this one a miss

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    Nice review, i played first 10 mins of the demo and i think this is one of the most awful games in the history of gaming

lol I actually thought that the first time I played the demo as well. The demo made me realize that this game had some potential and that is why I picked it up. This game is definately not for everyone and you will either hate it, or love it.

Thread Information