Elite Member

God of War 3 - Gamebreaking Glitch

Hey all,

I've looked around online, and I haven't seen anyone else reporting this problem, so I'll explain here and see if anyone can help.

In short, I keep getting a glitch after you shoot down Helios (exactly the same part as in the E3 demo), whereby you cannot progress because no harpies spawn to cross the open gap. I've noticed that in the build up to this glitch, the background music begins to skip when you start to fight the chimera (snake/lion/beast thing).

After I inevitably jump to my death (for the lack of harpies), the game freezes completely when you try to restart from the last checkpoint. I've tried rebooting, loading my last save, loading my last autosave, you name it. Nothing seems to work. It just seems bizarre to me that I'm the only one who's experienced this. If it helps, I'm playing a PAL copy.

Super Elite

I would try and start over
    -52"LCD 1080p 120hz Philips,
    -PC= MSI motherboard / AMD Athlon 64x2 Duel Core 5000+ 2.61 GHz / 3 gigs ram / NVIDI GeForce 9500GT / Light scribe DVD burner drive / 750GB 7200RPM HDD
    -Playstation3= 250 GIG
    Custom LED lit DuelShock3SixAxis and 3 SixAxis controller

Dedicated Member
    Hasn't happened to me...sounds unlucky ...

I did have a glitch though...if I tried to use the soul summon power right after defeating hades and getting his blades..my game would freeze.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameware336 View Post
    I would try and start over
    I would, and I might still, but the thought of playing through the first 2-3 hours all over again just for it to happen again is really putting me off. I guess I'm just hoping to see if this is a one-off or a common problem.

Sony samurai
    Never had this problem.

My game has frozen a few times and once when I was fighting the Scorpion I pulled off a Just Cause 2 move where I was free falling like right about the ground and couldn't land and I floated until I died but never anything stopping me from progressing. This was the US version tho.

Superior Member
    When i was fighting possiden today the camera angle changed to a birdseye view so i couldnt really see what i was doing. But it fixed itself after a while
    

TWISTED METAL
    i believe the problem is with ur system
    because the same kind of crap happened to me while playing BIoshock 2 the game froze every few hours and i was the only one with this problem

BTW my ps3 is now broken (YLOD)

"The real rulers in Washington are invisible, and exercise power from behind the scenes."

Elite Member
    Fortunately we have two PS3s in my house, so I'm going to try my save file on the other PS3. It's telling me I cannot use a save file I do not own. Is there a quick and easy way around this?

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Im having no problems.

Elite Member
    Well, I played it on another system and the glitch didn't occur, so I guess it was my PS3 in some way. I ended up playing past the glitch, saving, and then returning to my console. Problem solved, albeit in slightly worrying fashion.

TWISTED METAL
    i also believe a YLOD is coming near ur ps3 in the next few weeks unfortunately

"The real rulers in Washington are invisible, and exercise power from behind the scenes."

Quote Originally Posted by k.cuthbertson View Post
    Hasn't happened to me...sounds unlucky ...

I did have a glitch though...if I tried to use the soul summon power right after defeating hades and getting his blades..my game would freeze.
    did you find a way around this im having the same glitch

Elite Guru
    Just finished my second playthrough and I did encounter some glitches, but nothing like that. I would recommend starting over, you must have done something earlier that kinda glitched the game.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by theaface View Post
    Hey all,

I've looked around online, and I haven't seen anyone else reporting this problem, so I'll explain here and see if anyone can help.

In short, I keep getting a glitch after you shoot down Helios (exactly the same part as in the E3 demo), whereby you cannot progress because no harpies spawn to cross the open gap. I've noticed that in the build up to this glitch, the background music begins to skip when you start to fight the chimera (snake/lion/beast thing).

After I inevitably jump to my death (for the lack of harpies), the game freezes completely when you try to restart from the last checkpoint. I've tried rebooting, loading my last save, loading my last autosave, you name it. Nothing seems to work. It just seems bizarre to me that I'm the only one who's experienced this. If it helps, I'm playing a PAL copy.
    I think I had the same problem as you but in the demo version where I was constantly slashing at same enemies that came were on fire for 20 minutes (not an exaggeration).
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Dedicated Member
    You shot down the "firey horse thing" with the catapult, right...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No X-Game voice chat?...I'll console myself with free online, blu-ray, browser and the best games

That Band Is Awful
    PSN ID
    pasta_fire
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_T92 View Post
    i also believe a YLOD is coming near ur ps3 in the next few weeks unfortunately
    I would agree.

Weird stuff started happening to my system before that dreaded time in my ps3's life as well.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HWMbrogden View Post
    I would agree.

Weird stuff started happening to my system before that dreaded time in my ps3's life as well.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. :/ For what it's worth, this is the only odd thing that's happened to my PS3 ever, so I firmly believe it's a one off.

Anyways, the issue is resolved and the rest of the game played without a hitch so mods can close this thread now.

SocomVet187
    This is why i always make loads of game saves

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    That's an odd glitch, i've had music skip and voices going out of sync, only briefly though. I've had it freeze on me once too. It's fine for the most part though.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by SocomVet187 View Post
    This is why i always make loads of game saves
    i saved upon EVERY single save points with individual saves for each save points.

Superior Member
    I've made a similar post 9didn't see this one)

Bought the game yesterday, bout 20min into it the audio starts cutting out for a sec every 4-5 sec. Got to a save point and saved, turned off the game and restarted, got error 8001002B, tried again and got a different error and a message saying "data corrupted"

Today I breought back the game and got a replacement, loaded up my save file and everything fine, then bout 20 min later it started again and now disc wont load.

Rang Sony today and he suggested I wipe the GOW3 game data but there was none.
    He said to delete save data too and restart game but same problem.

Finally he said to "restore PS3 settings" which I did, it's at 80% deleted, this better work!!

I backed up my systen 2 days ago, will my backup mean my MW2 game and save data is safe?
    i'll be as mad as Kratos if it's gone.

A few others are having similar problems on different forums, what PS3 do you have, I have the 80gb fat model.

The problem is similar to YLOD but I can still play MW2 so hopefully this "restore settings" works.

Thread Information