PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

[Playstation 3] Just Cause 2

Release date: March 23, 2010
    Price: $24.99 (Used)
    Rated: Mature

Just Cause first released on September 27, 2006 on the Xbox 360 and PS2 with mediocre reviews. Some glitches plagued the first game but it still had the open world/Grand Theft Auto experience. This time Rico Rodriguez returns to Just Cause 2 for some more open world, do what you want sandbox fun. Will the sequel prove to better than the first? Read on to find out what I think of Just Cause 2...

Graphics - 8/10

I will start with the good and end with the bad. The actual gameplay graphics are actually pretty good. Really nice looking explosions and beautiful jungles really remind me of the first Far Cry. Just Cause 2 shows off both night and day cycles along with some really good weather cycles. You can watch the sun rise or set. You can see a thunderstorm start to appear with flashes of lighting followed by light to heavy rains. Maybe you will even see a snow storm. Now with all of this good also comes the bad. The character models look like something that came straight out of Just Cause 1 from 2006. In other words, they are not very good. I would have liked to see the same effort put in to the character models as I seen in the entire world of this game.

Sound - 6/10

The sound is completely broken. To start, the voice-overs are terrible. Some of the worst acting I have ever heard. The acting is so bad that I can not stand to even watch the cutscenes. Sometimes the voices will repeat themselves or they will just completely stop talking in the middle of the sentence. The music is not terrible and the explosions and gunfire sound great. There really is no ambient sounds in the backround. For example while in the jungle surrounded by trees you would think you would be hearing some animals. Monkeys, birds, something! In the towns you will hear the other cars driving and people yelling. It just would have been nice to make the sound in the game a bit more realistic to real life.

Gameplay - 9.5/10

Despite some graphic flaws and some terrible sounds, the gameplay is where this game shines over everything else. Just Cause 2 is a game that you can pick up and any time and just play. No need to worry about your story or where you left off last. Here you can go anywhere you desire. Steal a plane or helicoptor and start cruising the skies. Fly as high as you can and jump out for some sweet sky diving. Parachute in to the ocean and do some underwater exploring. There is almost no limit as to what you can do in Just Cause 2.
    The main weapon is your grappling hook. With this you can escape a dangerous situation by grappling to a point on a building or vehicle and in a split second you are out of harms way. Shoot your grapple to an enemy and you can attatch him to a vehicle, wall, or even a propane tank. Shoot the propane tank and watch your enemy get yanked all over the place till he dies. Or maybe you want to drag him behind you car. There are sooooooo many ways to eliminate your enemies with the grappling hook.

Some more examples:
    Hang him like a pinata
    Drag him behind a vehicle
    Pull down a statue or large structure to smash multiple enemies
    Grapple him to a propane tank

If you do not want to use the grapple then you can use one of the many weapons in the game. Machine guns, sniper guns, shotguns, pistols, and much more. There loads of vehicles to find like a Monster truck, tank, Jeep, motorcycle, sports car, planes, jets, helicoptors, boats, and more.
    There are many high points in the game that allow you to jump off the side of a cliff and parachute to another location. This comes in handy when you can not locate a vehicle quickly.
    There is a HEAT mode which is used to determine whether you are a danger to the community. Your crosshair will turn red when you can destroy an object or structure. Doing this will make your HEAT gauge fill and you will eventually get the local authorities coming after you. Sometimes calling in air support, you will need to grapple on the helicoptor or plane and take them out.

Overall - 8/10

Just Cause 2 is not a perfect game but it does offer 50+ hours of gameplay. The game is extremely fun and you get to pick and choose what to do, when to do it, and how you want to do it. This game has turned out to be one of the most fun games I have played this year and no sandbox lover should miss this game. Almost 3 years after it released, and I am still rocking out this gem of a game. And this is why Just Cause 2 gets Lethal's Stamp of Approval.

Pros:
    Over 50hrs of gameplay
    Huge open world
    Over 100 vehicles
    Freedom to do what you want
    Base jumping/Sky diving
    In-game video capture. Save to PS3 or upload straight to YouTube.
    Click spoiler below to view my video using the video capture feature. (This is not a real spoiler)

Couple years later and I am still playing this game (12/15/2012)

Cons:
    Terrible voice acting
    Mediocre character models
    Last edited by Lethal; 01-08-2013 at 15:26.

Thread Information