Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder
    Still looking around out of idle curiosity, Ken was trumpeting Linux coming preinstalled in 2005 - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ne...ssupercomputer

Sublimely Static
    Quote Originally Posted by Kydosan View Post
    Still looking around out of idle curiosity, Ken was trumpeting Linux coming preinstalled in 2005 - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ne...ssupercomputer
    Yeah, they also talked about having 2 HDMI ports and a network hub built in. Proposed features changed over time, and sony does not support form of linux. THey allowed you to install it but the risk an onus was on the users. It wasn't in print, or advertised on tv or even on the box, so it wasn't used as a selling feature. It was in the manual so that means that it is an acknowledged feature but that doesn't mean they used it as a selling point. That added to the fact that support was added via firmware after the console was launched, puts linux in the same boat as home, PlayStation lifestyle, photo manager and the plethora of features added and talked about after the fact.

It sucks that they removed it but I think it is clear that they didn't trumpet it as a selling point. Only the technological savvy consumer who kept their head to the ground knew about this.

SocomVet187
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    Yeah, they also talked about having 2 HDMI ports and a network hub built in. Proposed features changed over time, and sony does not support form of linux. THey allowed you to install it but the risk an onus was on the users. It wasn't in print, or advertised on tv or even on the box, so it wasn't used as a selling feature. It was in the manual so that means that it is an acknowledged feature but that doesn't mean they used it as a selling point. That added to the fact that support was added via firmware after the console was launched, puts linux in the same boat as home, PlayStation lifestyle, photo manager and the plethora of features added and talked about after the fact.

It sucks that they removed it but I think it is clear that they didn't trumpet it as a selling point. Only the technological savvy consumer who kept their head to the ground knew about this.

when the ps3 launched in the uk it had the otheros option

Sublimely Static
    Quote Originally Posted by SocomVet187 View Post
    when the ps3 launched in the uk it had the otheros option
    Yes, I think because alot of them launched with firmware 1.60 or above iirc. That still doesn't mean it was advertised nor does that mean it was an original function. I am sure the home icon is on every new PS3 that is sold now as well.

Superior Member
    what i want to know is why do it now? there was no proven working hack yet. why not wait and see if there was one and then ban it?

Veteran
    I used to think that but now I'm thinking it's so hackers don't get a go at the latest firmware(s) through Linux.

Although I think Fear reckons they can but I don't know why 'cos he's been banned.
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

Sublimely Static
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSight View Post
    what i want to know is why do it now? there was no proven working hack yet. why not wait and see if there was one and then ban it?
    By the time there is a public hack it would be too late. And who's to say they didn't find something internally.

After the announcement of the ps3 being hacked, I wouldn't be surprised if they set a team to see if they can break protection and/or access parts blocked off by hypervisor using linux.

Who knows, maybe the internal team found a viable opening and decided they needed to remove linux to stop it.

SocomVet187
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonmess View Post
    I used to think that but now I'm thinking it's so hackers don't get a go at the latest firmware(s) through Linux.

Although I think Fear reckons they can but I don't know why 'cos he's been banned.
    They can download the FW update of sonys site and then all they have to do is open it up they have been doing it with psp fw for years once you have done one they all become easier and possible

Veteran
    Yes, I think because alot of them launched with firmware 1.60 or above iirc. That still doesn't mean it was advertised nor does that mean it was an original function. I am sure the home icon is on every new PS3 that is sold now as well.
    That's interesting. Home's a selling point now but what if it was removed later?

Anyway, maybe there's a difference? OtherOS feature is down to the hardware plus software, just like SACD?

You could say the same about Home as it wouldn't be possible without the processor etc though.

I still see otherOS as a selling point though, whether it was on the box or not. I wonder how much it was advertised. Probably not a lot outside of the manual and Sony's website spec/feature list. It was a reason I bought mine though.
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    simple question why are you defending sony ??
    not defending the removal of the feature...but defending their right to protect their hardware/software from hackers

We know people who are going to or will look into pirating wont update and people with legit use for the otherOS feature are being screwed.
    and the hackers are free to not upgrade and until they can create a custom FW they will be SOL...

Did you guys defend sony when it released CDs with Rootkits ???
    nope

Do you think sony cares about you
    no, and i don't care about them either...

do you own shares in sony
    nope...

if sony stops supporting the ps3 with psn when the ps4 comes out then this is what will happen
    its going to happen eventually...they will shift focus to the PS4...is that really not obvious to everyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Scott64 View Post
    I don't bother with issues that don't affect me. Which is why I don't know why people who this doesn't affect are bothering even reading threads like this one. This one does affect me, so I have an opinion on it. That's all.
    we are reading the thread because it was addressed to us lol...come on...

Quote Originally Posted by REEEPR View Post
    Why is there a ps/ps2 memory card feature on the slim xmb.
    because all PS3's can play PSOne games maybe??...and the PS/PS2 memory card system is the same lol...

Quote Originally Posted by rbrtchng View Post
    So you asked a question, and when someone disagree with you, you start name-calling? Keep it classy man.
    he has no leg to stand on...what else do you expect??...he can't hold an intelligent debate so he will just insult instead...

Quote Originally Posted by $ View Post
    Some folks PC's have broken and their saving grace was PS3 because it used Linux.
    oh PLEASE...this is asinine lol...so you mean their PC broke and then they went and learned how to run linux, and switched all of their PC programs over to linux compatible ones??...yeah right...the percentage of PC users that use linux is minuscule as it is...

Some bought the PS3 because they went "Hey, I can use my PS3 like a PC so I don't need to out and buy one since I have this multi-media center right here". It's not our concern why some paid $600 to use linux, but they chose to do so.
    that may be the case, but their logic was flawed...

Some folks did their research and knew from the jump that Linux was capable on the PS3.
    but if they did ENOUGH research then they might have known that it was a rather restricted PC to say the least...

Quote Originally Posted by gamicoulas View Post
    Shocking!

The PS3 was the first console I bought, but after the latest developments I'm not yet sure what I will do. I know that I will never put my money again on anything like that, so no PS4 for me. Now, I have to consider what I will do with my existing console. Take it easy for a while and if there is no way to continue with both Linux and PS3 games, I guess it will have to go...
    hilarious...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    The whole system.

He booted it up after updating, played a game for about 2mins then YLOD :S

Well ventilated PS3, always worked fine and died just after update... no other explanation. He's calling Sony in the morningg
    total coincidence IMO...if it booted up at all then it more than likely was not a FW...a FW issue is also not going to cause the solder on a consoles CPU or GPU to melt and come dislodged from the mobo, which is the cause of most YLOD...this update did not cause the YLOD...

Disabling features of a system to counter piracy is the ****ttiest solution they could have come up with to a problem that hits everybody sooner or later.
    says who? you and your VAST knowledge of programming??...just drop it and stop pretending you have a clue what you are talking about...

I didnt update i just used the logan5 tool and turned my laptop into a proxy server and i can sign in to the psn the store home and play games online and still stay on 3.15 haha screw you sony
    congrats for continuing to support Sony

when the exploit drops as this is what the 3.21 update is forcing hackers to do the same people whining about its sonys right blah blah will be crying when they cant hack their system to own it 100% and not be tied to the whims of sony.
    you're so lost its funny...the world does not revolve around you my friend...

If you support sony in this then you deserve to get screwed over every which way possible
    and i can't wait for Zipper to "ruin" your beloved SOCOM

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'd agree 100% with you about the Xbox and Live being turned off, etc. The only problem with that argument, especially in relation to the people that are supposed hypocrites because they are bashing Sony for removal of a feature, and they aren't bashing Microsoft for the aforementioned live debacle.... phew... is that maybe these people aren't playing original xbox systems anymore? Maybe they have a PS3, and this directly affects them, whereas they don't have an Xbox so why would they complain of Microsoft removing Live from a system they don't use?
    they are still being hypocritical

Work out a way to secure it, or failing that, take it on the chin and be grateful the system remained uncracked for as long as it did. I honestly don't think removing features of a system I'd already sold to tens of millions of people would even occur to me as being an option.
    well maybe its not a simple solution...they don't have access to the linux code...they can't patch linux OS's...they can only try to patch their software...and maybe they don't feel its financially responsible to throw millions of dollars at constantly patching something that is used by such a small percentage of users, and has little effect on the core uses of the system??

There are a lot of ways of countering piracy when you control the whole system and 2/3rds (or so) of your users are online.
    right, and probably the most cost effective, and efficient of those solutions is to disable the feature..

What I definitely wouldn't do is collectively punish legitimate and illegitimate users alike by hamfistedly disabling features.
    in the grand scheme of things....its probably better than spending the money and resources to constantly be patching the system...

If you, or they, think this will stop piracy, you're all sorely mistaken.
    GeoHot the magnificent has failed up to this point though right??

Quote Originally Posted by xzero1487 View Post
    I'm all for standing up against piracy, but the way they went about it was wrong. They could have...no, should have found a better solution then the one they gave us.
    im signed into the psn right now and im using 3.15 thanks to the logan tool i can still play games online without haveing to update
    congrats for continuing your support of Sony Computer Entertainment!

They should have tried to fix whatever loop was exposed. Removing it doesn't do anything except motivate the willing
    and maybe they felt constantly fixing the "loop" in an attempt to stay one step ahead (impossible) of the hackers would cost too much money/resources??...

All this has done is prove that when sony stop supporting the ps3 we will all be shafted.
    anyone who things Sony is going to support the PS3 and its free PSN forever are crazy...

Staticneuron took care of it with his post so ill just quote that...

Yeah, they also talked about having 2 HDMI ports and a network hub built in. Proposed features changed over time, and sony does not support form of linux.
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Veteran
    They can download the FW update of sonys site and then all they have to do is open it up they have been doing it with psp fw for years once you have done one they all become easier and possible
    I'm thinking about getting into the installed firmware on the PS via Linux like Geohot did.

That is what he did didn't he? I mean there was that screen that said hello Geohot on it and the firmware update options in the background.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSight View Post
    preventative measures

Super Elite
    i disagree, does it really affect you that much that its the end of your gaming experience, also not that many people use linux and if they do bo ho go use a computer with linux on it.

Dedicated Member

what are you Sony Defence force i dont care about the 360 as i dont own one.

All i care about is my ps3 i dont care about sony or your ps3 but what i do know is if sony can get away with this then theirs nothing stopping them from flipping a switch in the future which means that games i bought of psn i can no longer re download if my ps3 breaks and i need to get it fixed.

Also just because not everyone uses a certain feature dosnt mean sony should be allowed to remove it if i dont use my BC does that mean sony should be allowed to release a FW update that stops my ps3 from playing my ps2 games
    you are really funny. you make a thread asking 'why are people defending sony with 3.21'.
    then if someone replies on your thread.. you say 'what are you, sony defense force'? seriously, what the *?

Elite Member
    I don't really think people are "defending" Sony on this. I just think that the majority of people really don't care either way - the feature is all but useless. Start a poll and find out who is pissed, who "supports" it, and who just doesn't give a **** about it. I bet the latter will get the most votes.

Superior Member
    Socom, to answer your question- Because people are both selfish and stupid. They don't use the feature so they don't care. And they can't just say " I don't use it, so who cares?" No, they have to make nonsensical posts that are three paragraphs long yet have no information worth reading.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    says who? you and your VAST knowledge of programming??...just drop it and stop pretending you have a clue what you are talking about...
    I can't tell if you're happy or angry, are you coming on to me?

(I'm not going to claim to have a magic bullet that will end piracy forever, but FYI - I actually *am* a programmer, I do have some clue)

Elite Member
    I can't tell if you're happy or angry, are you coming on to me?

(I'm not going to claim to have a magic bullet that will end piracy forever, but FYI - I actually *am* a programmer, I do have some clue)

Superior Member
    STOP saying otherOs wasn't advertised. It WAS and the reason has been posted too many times. Saying it wasn't advertised is just trolling.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Airiaen
    Oh cool lets complain about a feature that could be the beginning of the end. Sony just had no choice but to remove otherOS.

If Geohot ever created custom firmware that could spark the emergence of copies of our beloved Playstation 3 games that talented developers spent millions on.

Anyway to answer your question I'm not defending Sony which is outrageous? but I'm just glad OtherOS had been removed since I find it has an useless feature.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by lordAlucard View Post
    I'm just glad OtherOS had been removed since I find it has an useless feature.
    Just because you have found it useless doesn't mean that everyone does. I myself don't use Linux or most of the other features, but I would bet that all of the features are used by someone. And because I don't use most of them, doesn't make them useless for everyone.

I'm just starting to learn linux, and was going to install it on the ps3. Instead, I just partitioned my computers hard drive and installed it on there. It really isn't a big deal

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe the PS3 comes with a 'User's Guide' manual. Only a 'Quick Reference' and 'Safety and Support' manual, neither of which mentions the OtherOS feature.

It does provide a link to a online 'User's Guide' of the XMB, which does mention the OtherOS feature. I believe it also mentions that features can change.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by gillmanjr View Post
    I don't really think people are "defending" Sony on this. I just think that the majority of people really don't care either way - the feature is all but useless. Start a poll and find out who is pissed, who "supports" it, and who just doesn't give a **** about it. I bet the latter will get the most votes.
    Seems people care enough to posts replies, massive long winded counter arguments, angry arguments, scroll into law, gather evidence from the bible etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by doug011 View Post
    Just because you have found it useless doesn't mean that everyone does. I myself don't use Linux or most of the other features, but I would bet that all of the features are used by someone. And because I don't use most of them, doesn't make them useless for everyone.
    Yeah, someone uses it but I have never really used the OS feature in the first place so I can't really form my own opinion about all of this.

Thread Information