Page 1 of 33 111 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Remedy confirms Alan Wake's resolution fluctuation between 720p and 540p

Guys, unfortunately Markus Mški, Director of Development, has been grounded in southern Europe with family due to the volcanic ash. We are sorry you havenít gotten an answer sooner. This is Markusís reply to your questions.

"Modern renderers don't work by rendering everything to a certain final on-screen resolution, but use a combination of techniques and buffers to compose the final detail-rich frames, optimizing to improve the visual experience and game performance.

Alan Wake's renderer on the Xbox360 uses about 50 different intermediate render targets in different resolutions, color depths and anti-alias settings for different purposes. These are used for example for cascaded shadow maps from sun & moon, shadow maps from flashlights, flares and street lights, z-prepass, tiled color buffers, light buffers for deferred rendering, vector blur, screen-space ambient occlusion, auto-exposure, HUD, video buffers, menus and so on. In the end all are combined to form one 720p image, with all intermediate buffer sizes selected to optimize image quality and GPU performance. All together the render targets take about 80 MB of memory, equivalent in size to over twenty 720p buffers."
    http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.p...&postcount=885
    Makes sense, I'm sure all console games use multiple renderers. Very interesting, there is just so much about making games that we don't know about. Even though many of us claim to

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Darji
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Makes sense, I'm sure all console games use multiple renderers. Very interesting, there is just so much about making games that we don't know about. Even though many of us claim to
    Yeah sure games do that for example the new splinter cell or the PS3 version of GTA4 but this still doesnt make it good.

Master Guru
    Hmmmm. This sounds like Halo 3 all over again where they said that because of the HDR lighting, the game could be said it ran at double the 640p or whatever it ended up being. Should be interesting. Some of the latest screens I've seen do really look 540p in some areas. But as I mentioned before, if the lighting effects really do make this game special, then the compromise will probably be worth it.

But this one shows the pixel stepping pretty strongly on the taillights of this car. I guess it's going to be a matter of how often this is running at 540p. I mean that res is closer to SD than 720p.

Darji
    I dont know why or is it the right word but for me its very blurry. Especially in the new screens I saw.

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Darji View Post
    I dont know why or is it the right word but for me its very blurry. Especially in the new screens I saw.
    depends on what screens you're looking at.

Fiddlesworth
    Thread title makes it sound like they're varying overall resolution depending on current performance, as you play like WipEout HD (between 1280x1080 and 1920x1080) which is not the case.

They're basically saying because some (or at least one part) of the graphical makeup is 720p, like the HUD, it's 720p. Clearly, looking at the edges of objects, it's not full 720p where it really counts, where you really notice.

Darji
    depends on what screens you're looking at.
    the new ones i saaw at neogaf and some other side.

Forum Sage

seleective screens, that was ripped rogh off the compressed video.

Darji
    seleective screens, that was ripped rogh off the compressed video.
    no it was not selective. It was just an example. I am pretty sure it wont be as looking as this shot

But the ones from the japanese or korean version are kind of blurry too.

Fiddlesworth
    There's plenty of direct-feed captures with crisp HUD that have just as soft 3D image quality as that. They look worse even because the scene's more contrasty. This one for instance.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesworth View Post
    There's plenty of direct-feed captures with crisp HUD that have just as soft 3D image quality as that. They look worse even because the scene's more contrasty. This one for instance.
    How many different threads are you going to post that screen in?

Signature by Knuckles126

"GOD STRIKES TAKE-TWO DOWN!" -Jack Thompson on Take Two's falling stock prices

Fiddlesworth
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackout'08 View Post
    How many different threads are you going to post that screen in?
    How many threads about the same thing do we need?

Just for you.

Darji
    the ones you are posting doesnt look better to be honest. For me its kind of blurry (if its the right word) The german one is verwaschen :P

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Alright, just stop...

this thread is on the quick path to being locked.

Fiddlesworth, we get the point... in each Alan Wake thread you have come from hiding to post in, you have been overly negative. It almost seems like you came here JUST to trash Alan Wake.

Darji... same thing. You make it sound like you are here to "discuss" the game, but in each and every instance you absolutely trash it to the point where it ceases to sound like opinion and more like hate.

This game being sub-hd does nothing to prove PS3 or 360 superiority... what it does show is that if someone looks hard enough, you can find the worst screen grabs and showcase that in multiple threads... or pixel count from overly compressed internet vids.

FFS... does anyone PLAY games any more?
    LMAO

Forum Sage
    the ones you are posting doesnt look better to be honest. For me its kind of blurry (if its the right word) The german one is verwaschen :P
    Do you own a 360?

Darji
    Darji... same thing. You make it sound like you are here to "discuss" the game, but in each and every instance you absolutely trash it to the point where it ceases to sound like opinion and more like hate.
    I dont really see were i trash it. but ok no talk about alan Wake anymore...

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    what is this playing that you refer to ? i am unfamiliar with it, my only relationship with games is comparing screens of them on different formats and comparisons of similar genre games.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Elite Member
    Alright, just stop...

this thread is on the quick path to being locked.

Fiddlesworth, we get the point... in each Alan Wake thread you have come from hiding to post in, you have been overly negative. It almost seems like you came here JUST to trash Alan Wake.

This game being sub-hd does nothing to prove PS3 or 360 superiority... what it does show is that if someone looks hard enough, you can find the worst screen grabs and showcase that in multiple threads... or pixel count from overly compressed internet vids.

yay thanks!

I would prefer they do this than have a game that stutters or slows down in the action scenes when you need the gameplay to be there.

While I'm not a fan of lower resolutions, I'm sure nobody is... however it's better than the alternatives... you gotta do what you gotta do.

Too bad it's such an easy target for the fanboy wars.

Elite Member

So you have to zoom to a factor of 500 to see the jaggies?

Like THAT'S going to be noticeable during gameplay. Only those looking to trash the game are going to notice something like this.

Why does a certain person, I won't name names here, care so much that their name is on almost 1/2 of the posts on this and the other thread discussing this? Sorry, I don't see the big deal here, other than to simply trash the game and the developer.

If you read most of the gaming sites (not the forums, but the sites themselves) they all seem to positive about how the game looks.

Fiddlesworth
    in each Alan Wake thread you have come from hiding to post in, you have been overly negative. It almost seems like you came here JUST to trash Alan Wake.
    Strange behaviour for a moderator. What exactly am I saying that's not truthful or does the truth hurt that much?

if someone looks hard enough, you can find the worst screen grabs and showcase that in multiple threads... or pixel count from overly compressed internet vids.
    Sounds like you're in denial here.

Elite Member
    Your title is misleading! He didn't say that. To be honest he didn't really say anything new, not even an answer to the question.

When you render a scene, it's not as simple as just rendering from the point of view of the camera. For example to implement very basic shadows you could take a picture of the scene from the point of view of a *light* (note: at any resolution!)- the things that the light can 'see' should be lit up! You would then fiddle about with this picture, merging it with a render of the scene from the camera and end up with a very basic shadowed scene. The quality of the shadows will depend on the resolution of the picture from the light's point of view.

This is the sort of thing that he is explaining. Nothing to do with the game fluctuating between 540p and 720p, he's sidetracked and explained something else (for some reason...).

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesworth View Post
    Strange behaviour for a moderator. What exactly am I saying that's not truthful or does the truth hurt that much?

Sounds like you're in denial here.

Its not that,but we already know that Alan Wake is 540p by now,there is no need to keep repeating it.
    Good "night" my baby...i will always remember you.I love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by arfi-gorgona-O View Post
    Its not that,but we already know know that Alan Wake is 540p by now,there is no need to keep repeating it.
    Bingo... nail/head
    LMAO

Forum Elder

I do, I've been silent in threads like this because I've yet to see a 360 or PS3 game whose resolution has bothered me, even on my 108" projector screen.

You're always going to get an imbalance of opinion in threads like this, people who don't care about resolution aren't going to have anything to add to the discussion. I guess for me, if playing at uber high resolutions was that important I'd own a beefy PC

Fiddlesworth
    It is ok to discuss, but where the problems lie is when you, and some other notable mentions, come into 360 threads who have a strong pro-ps3 posting history and do nothing but denounce and slack off on a title. Same things happen in pro-PS3 threads as well, and we take care of them also.

That is trolling. Baiting. Take your pick.
    How can discussing the Sub-HD resolution of a game in a thread for that purpose be unacceptable slacking off of that title? Even in normal game threads, factual discussion should be acceptable. I'm not repeating over and over that Alan's wife looks like a munter or the ducking/avoidance animation looks awkward or some other opinion that's unwelcome here.

If there weren't so many threads for the same subject, I wouldn't have reposted the images.

Quote Originally Posted by arfi-gorgona-O View Post
    Its not that,but we already know know that Alan Wake is 540p by now,there is no need to keep repeating it.
    Might as well close all these threads then if there's nothing more to say about the matter!

Thread Information