Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2333
    Forum Sage
    I am not the one who is pretending to know the reason the game's textures are limited. I am specifically talking about the reaction of some people when someone even hints at DVD being a factor.

arfi did not say DVD was the reason. Did he?

What you provided is probably a reason, probably isn't. That's not the point I was trying to make (even if the reason you pointed out, is the reason.)

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I am not the one who is pretending to know the reason the game's textures are limited. I am specifically talking about the reaction of some people when someone even hints at DVD being a factor.

arfi did not say DVD was the reason. Did he?

What you provided is probably a reason, probably isn't. That's not the point I was trying to make (even if the reason you pointed out, is the reason.)
    I can reasonabley say I'm confused.

I dont think it would have been DVD to be honest because going to a second disc wouldnt be such a factor for the game seeing as its linear.
    If it had stayed "open world' roaming, I could definatly see the finger being pointed at it.

Another thing is, dropping the cut-scense res to the same as the game would also have been an option if space was truley an issue.

There is more thna a few signs that storage space was not an issue.
    Vram space on the other hand...

Forum Sage
    All I am saying is that DVD was never said to be the reason the textures are the way they are. I believe it was brought as a possible reason. To which, the response was a generalization about how people on this forum react.

My point was to show who is the one freaking out over it which I apparently did a bad job of since you're confused and didn't quite get it.

(You obviously had a counter to that or an answer - but it didn't matter to the type of reaction I was talking about.)

Forum Sage
    The textures are limited because it's a single player linear experience built into a massive open world map. It's quite obvious when you think about it
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    err, you guys a misisng the vital important peice of informaiton which remedy already told you... 80mb of the VRam is used for buffers alone.
    A normal game uses about 12mb.

That alone is reason enough that textures are lower quality.

if it were truley about storage, given the linera nature of the game, going multiple disc would have been simple.
    Textures do not use Vram/eDRAM on x360, but yeah 80MB of main ram used for buffers does affect memory amount free for textures.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    don't say things like that!

there are some on here that swear that multiplat titles are proof that the 360 is more powerful than the PS3...

and there are some on here that want us to believe that DVD is not an issue...

so shhhh....
    you are misrepresenting the facts that were put out. someone said that if you looked at the third party titles that were exclusive to the 360, or were made on the platform before they made it to the ps3 like rainbow 6 vegas, or bioshock, or you looked at the initial GRAW or SCA, these games did not suffer as much in terms of graphics or performance. that has to be down to the fact that dev teams were focussed on getting the best out of a system rather than getting a game to look identical on two systems
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    Textures do not use Vram/eDRAM on x360, but yeah 80MB of main ram used for buffers does affect memory amount free for textures.
    What?

I mean Vram as in video ram or video memory (although its all the same on the 360), but yes I mean GDDR3, I'm just using the lazy term.
    Vram itself has long stopped being used.

Master Guru
    Couldn't they just stream the texture or whatever?I think some PS3 game do that or am i wrong?Also its easy to say that if the storage was an issue they will just use a second disk.But what will you prefer to do if you are the developer,lower the textures a bit or put an unnecessary cost to your game.
    Good "night" my baby...i will always remember you.I love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by arfi-gorgona-O View Post
    Couldn't they just stream the texture or whatever?I think some PS3 game do that or am i wrong?Also its easy to say that if the storage was an issue they will just use a second disk.But what will you prefer to do if you are the developer,lower the textures a bit or put an unnecessary cost to your game.
    I think it's obviously a RAM issue with AW. Nothing to do with storage. Streaming can't help you put more on screen than you can fit in the available RAM, it just allows you to essentially have a level or world that couldn't fit into the RAM all at once without having to go to loading screens. Streaming swaps out the bits that aren't needed for the bits that are needed at any one time.

Master Guru
    I thought that steaming was also helping PS3 to have better texturing too.I remember that they have said that somewhere.

Btw if this is a frame buffer issue,why the open areas seem to have better texturing than the close ones?This somehow doesn't add up.
    Good "night" my baby...i will always remember you.I love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Elite Member

It's because you are close to the textures instead of far away. It's like that with almost every game.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    My only hope is Remedy share what ever tricks/technics they used to get this looking like it does.

Frankly every 360 games could go sub-HD if they all look like this as far as I am concerned
    I think Remedy shared a few too many tricks with Microsoft!

13. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post

Thread Information