Latest PSU headlines:

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Developers need to think out side the square.

To me hair cutting is not thinking outside the square.

And yes its a sophiticated 3d pointer, I just think that developers who use it as such are limiting themselves, this thing can eaisly use motion control happily.

I guess it comes down to the augmented reality games, they just seem to me to be limiting the devices posisbilties.
    How many consoles/peripherals come out with games that use most of what its potential is?

To me, this is a moot point, argument for the sake of argument.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    How many consoles/peripherals come out with games that use most of what its potential is?

To me, this is a moot point, argument for the sake of argument.
    Well, if they want a succesfull launch they better get somewhere near it.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Master Guru

And yes its a sophiticated 3d pointer, I just think that developers who use it as such are limiting themselves, this thing can eaisly use motion control happily.

I guess it comes down to the augmented reality games, they just seem to me to be limiting the devices posisbilties.
    true position-sensing device

how about we just call it what it is?

how is doing something that no one else is doing on a console (cutting hair as if you was really cutting hair) not thinking out of the box?

& why didn't you answer my last question?

Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    ok if you know it can do all these things why are you trying to place it in a box as a pointer?

on the other side you talk about natal's potential but here you try to limit Move to being a pointer just off of a party game, a party game that even show more than just pointer features.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    true position-sensing device

how about we just call it what it is?

how is doing something that no one else is doing on a console (cutting hair as if you was really cutting hair) not thinking out of the box?

& why didn't you answer my last question?
    Yes, good enough description.
    In regards to your last quesiton, I thought I did, Im not the one putting it in a box, a lot of these devs are in my opinon.
    And thats my point, Im not limiting it to being just a poointer, I know it can do more, but to me, these games, they are lmiting it to just a pointer.

If any of these games could have been emultaed by the old style laser gun then they arent doing a good enough job, and that hair cutting one, you could do that with a laser gun easily.

It is so much more than a simple pointer.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Master Guru
    Yes, good enough description.
    In regards to your last quesiton, I thought I did, Im not the one putting it in a box, a lot of these devs are in my opinon.
    And thats my point, Im not limiting it to being just a poointer, I know it can do more, but to me, these games, they are lmiting it to just a pointer.

If any of these games could have been emultaed by the old style laser gun then they arent doing a good enough job, and that hair cutting one, you could do that with a laser gun easily.

It is so much more than a simple pointer.
    you can't do it easily. take a laser pointer and try to go around in a smooth Circle it's not as easy as it is with the move controller.

with a pointer when you're making these motions you can't adjust your wrist because it will make the pointer go to a different place on the screen. you can do it but it's not as easy as what's being done with the move.

with the move whatever object you change the controller to in the game that's the way you use the controller in the real world.

Elite Member

Well trying out a variety of ideas is the best thing they can do to test the waters and whatnot. A hair cutting game may not seem like much but it could give some ideas on how that mechanic could be expanded upon or used in different ways. Heck, who thought a cooking game with a cartoon mom would be one of the things that saved Majesco years ago? Simple concept, but executed well could lead to great things by having ideas and concepts implemented into future games.

There is more it can do for sure but not everyone is going to jump in headfirst with "augmented reality" stuff.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Avrum View Post
    Well trying out a variety of ideas is the best thing they can do to test the waters and whatnot. A hair cutting game may not seem like much but it could give some ideas on how that mechanic could be expanded upon or used in different ways. Heck, who thought a cooking game with a cartoon mom would be one of the things that saved Majesco years ago? Simple concept, but executed well could lead to great things by having ideas and concepts implemented into future games.

There is more it can do for sure but not everyone is going to jump in headfirst with "augmented reality" stuff.
    But the real question is...was Majesco worth saving?

Dedicated Member

I do agree with you here about it being stuff we have or could see easy with just the eyetoy. I think it will be more interesting when the navigation attachment is used as well and the point of view is shifted away from what the eyetoy can see directly.

Master Guru

PlayStation Move = Virtual Reality Mittens

ok I tried talking to people about this normally but Mynd & F43R started talking about holding it with their Feet & Mouth so I'm going to try this again in simple terms.

holding the PlayStation move is like having your hands in the Video Game world because it has the true position of the PS-Move so the game knows where your hands are and the analog trigger gives you control of your hands opening and closing just like in the real world but all of your fingers follow your index finger as if it was in a Mitten. but it's not limited to this because the trigger can act as just your index finger also & the move can act as whatever the devs want it to be in your hands within the game.

so think of anything that you can do with your hands if you had on a pair of mittens and you can pretty much do it in a video game with the PS-Move.

I say mittens because people are always looking for loopholes instead of looking at the big picture, if I would have said VR Gloves someone would have come in here saying what if I wanted to stick up my middle finger or something like that.

This is what I meant when I said that the PlayStation Move can put your hands in the game.

that would be cool to make a track in modnation racers with the move. reach in and just pick up a tree and move it where you want. grab the ground and pull it up to make a mountain. you can be a god.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by whoaduh View Post
    that would be cool to make a track in modnation racers with the move. reach in and just pick up a tree and move it where you want. grab the ground and pull it up to make a mountain. you can be a god.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4LULDxCCE0"]YouTube- Razer Sixense PC Motion Controller - CES 2010 (Booredatwork.com)[/ame]

yeah it's going to be perfect for this type of thing.

Edit: Sixsense and PlayStation Move work almost the same way when it come to this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_lQOWwMJvc"]YouTube- Sixense 3D input device in action[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GritebSC240"]YouTube- Sixense TrueMotion Presentation at NVISION08 - Part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLz1yXl9xpk"]YouTube- Sixense TrueMotion Presentation at NVISION08 - Part 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmRrLgljYG0"]YouTube- John Carmack talking about Sixense TrueMotion at Quakecon 2009[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoTadCL_qaQ"]YouTube- CES 2010 - Razer Sixense motion sensitive controllers[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTCbgHS13X8"]YouTube- Sixense TrueMotion Presentation at NVISION08 - Highlights[/ame]

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SixAxisRumble View Post
    What about Move socks?
    LOL but here you go

LOL but here you go

hmmm, never tried this position. have to ask the mrs if shes willing to give it a go

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by whoaduh View Post
    hmmm, never tried this position. have to ask the mrs if shes willing to give it a go
    She allready has

"Its better to keep your mouth shut and let everybody think you are an idiot. Than it is to open it and remove all doubt!!"

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Youd have a a 5 fingered version of this, minus the length.

Master Guru
    Youd have a a 5 fingered version of this, minus the length.

or it's like what I said it was!

with the move your index finger on the trigger is just like your index finger in the game. but in the game all your fingers move with it so when you squeeze the trigger you close your hand and the Action button can be like pressing with your thumb or the trigger can control your thumb depending on what kind of movement you're trying to do.

Elite Member

I'm pretty sure Mynd and Fear know this, I mean if they're really talking about using their feet and mouths then I would assume they are just being facetious rather than ignorant. (or at least I hope so) In any case putting your hands in the game with Move isn't exactly breaking new ground but I can imagine it being expanded upon quite a bit more and really immersive with it.

Master Guru
    I'm pretty sure Mynd and Fear know this, I mean if they're really talking about using their feet and mouths then I would assume they are just being facetious rather than ignorant. (or at least I hope so) In any case putting your hands in the game with Move isn't exactly breaking new ground but I can imagine it being expanded upon quite a bit more and really immersive with it.
    I wish they was but sadly it wasn't a joke!

it's your hands inside of a virtual world almost any type of game you can play in real life can be played on the PS3 now in almost the same way. something like checkers. you can walk up to a table in a game and play checkers by picking up the checkers and moving them. it's like Natal for the most important part of your body when it comes to playing games (your hands) but it's way more precise.

A couple of things, yes it a 3d mouse, you pretty much banged it on the nail there in summation, that ultimatly what it is.

This is a pointer. it does not put you hands inside a virtual world.
    It puts the 3d pointer inside a virtual world, there is a subtle difference.

This is an imprssive 3d pointer. And can be applied as such.

However, you consider the mouse, and what it can and cant do, you can get a feel for the type of games in most cases we are going to get.

The hair cutting came for example is nothing that cant be done with a mouse.

it's not just a pointer! when you hold it in your hands it gives the PS3 the location of your hands and with the press of the triggers you can open and close your virtual hands there for it's like having your hands in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It's not like having your hands in the game, sorry.. that's just a huge distortion.

Yeah but thats no differnet than saying when I press the left mouse button I have my hands on a gun and it shoots. Button pressing has been around fo ra very long time, "drag and drop" is allabout pretending you hand is on the screen.
    it's doing what I said. it's like having your hands in the game, a mouse don't move in the same way as the PS-Move which is moving in the same way as your hands and having the trigger to simulate opening and closing your hands as you reach into the virtual world and picking up stuff is like having your hands in the game.

It lets you control virtual hands, but it does NOT put YOUR hands in the... jesus. Stop distorting stuff. I could hold that with my foot and do the same thing.

what the hell was that?
    you're just being silly.
    The point is you can controll a pointer any way you want, the pointer is the reference not you hands.
    Nothing stopping anyone from waving a move around with their feet or mouth (apart from the size of the dam thing, you might get a sore jaw).

THANK YOU!! That was the point I was trying to make.
    I hate to say this but you two are just talking stupid right now and you know it.
    So you're saying that the Move will ONLY register movements that derive from the controller being in your hand? ... and you're calling us stupid?
    so by me saying that it's like having your hands in the game,

you got "the Move will ONLY register movements that derive from the controller being in your hand"

I really hope that you're trying to be funny.
    Hope is lost then, because I'm not. You're hands have nothing to do with the actual device movement being calculated into the games. Mynd was pretty clear about this. The controller is the reference point, not your hands. You're saying that's stupid, so I'm assuming you meant that the hands are the only way the Move can be registered.

If you don't like that interpretation, instead of calling people stupid, explain your point a little better so us "stupid" people can understand your technical wizardry.

Elite Member

Errr... never mind then. Giving the benefit of a doubt has its pitfalls I guess. :P

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I don't know what he's posting about me Avrum, because I have him ignored now, but rest assured that he's taking the point quite the wrong way.

My only point is that the Move doesn't, or can't, determine if it's being held by a hand, a mouth, a foot, or whatever. Understand? We went over this is the other thread, but for some reason he is intent on spamming this all over the place with multiple threads about the exact same subject. So, he's on ignore....

Master Guru
    Errr... never mind then. Giving the benefit of a doubt has its pitfalls I guess. :P
    Sadly I go through this every other day with Mynd he even said

that this wasn't kicking a ball.

and F34R just shows up to say "Nay" whenever I post something then get upset when you try to tell him yes it can.

but it's cool others learn as they get schooled

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Sadly I go through this every other day with Mynd he even said

that this wasn't kicking a ball.

and F34R just shows up to say "Nay" whenever I post something then get upset when you try to tell him yes it can.

but it's cool others learn as they get schooled
    LOL, you know what we were talking about when we said kicking a ball, but you stick with your beliefs, it isnt going make one iota of difference in the end.

Rapture
    I think Move looks pretty sweet. I originally thought it was a pointer like the Wii. But now that I know it actually functions on a 3D plane, I'm much more interested!

Master Guru
    LOL, now whos being silly, you know what we were tlaking about when we said kicking a ball, but you stick with your beliefs, it isnt going make one iota of difference in the end.

Heres a few things you cant do with move..

Breakdance....
    YouTube- New Project Natal Breakdancing Video (GamerPoop.com)

Drive a car with your arms and feet.
    YouTube- Burnout Paradise played with Natal - Tokyo Game Show 09

Kick a ball...

YouTube- TGS 09: Ricochet Gameplay - Gameplay (Off-Screen)

Tell me how Move is going to see that guy kneel FFS.
    what's stopping devs from making a game where you can drive with the Move besides it being kinda stupid? and the truth is it would work better then natal.

and you can kick a ball with the Ps-Eye.

YouTube- Eyetoy Kinetic: Wildfire
    the truth is not that hard to find Mynd so don't try to twist it you said you couldn't kick a ball I showed you that you can and you said that it wasn't kicking a ball.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I think Move looks pretty sweet. I originally thought it was a pointer like the Wii. But now that I know it actually functions on a 3D plane, I'm much more interested!
    Oh I agree... If the Table Tennis is as good as I think it's going to be, that alone will warrant the purchase for me. Couple that with SOCOM 4... absolute buy for me.

Thread Information