Latest PSU headlines:

Master Poster

Will Square Be Able To Re-Capture The Magic? [Revisited]

In 2008 I created a thread asking the forum on whether or not Square could recapture the magic that Final Fantasy lost after FFX with FFXIII. The thread generated some good discussion and now that we've been able to have the product in our hands for about 2 months I ask you again. Has Square been able to recapture the magic of Final Fantasy with this latest installment?

Here is the original OP from the Original thread.

Im sitting here and just letting my thoughts wander when i hear the Zanarkand theme from FFX and a wave of emotions overcame me and my memories over came me once again. In the past we'll say the Ps1 era Square made 3 FF titles i only played FF7 and FF8 but I remember feeling so immersed into the story and loving the characters that time just seemed to fly by when I was playing them. I remember loving Cloud's attitude and his reluctance to become a leader, I remember hating Sephiroth and the sword he put through Aerith and I remember seeing Squall and Seifer's opening battle in FF8 and saying to myself this is gonna be a great game And I remember the narration and amount of time and care that went into making FFX so great. But lately.....with FFXII being an EPIC failure in my eyes, and FFXI being an Online only game. Will FFXIII and FFVSXIII be able to Re-Capture the magic and satisfaction that i felt with FFX VII & VIII? or will i get another horrid experience like with XII? what are your thoughts
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177113

So did SE recapture the magic that they lost after FFX? In my opinion, no they haven't. The reason being is that I've had FFXIII for two months now and I still haven't beaten it. I've hit a wall of some sorts. And I can't pinpoint why exactly. Is it the battle system? Is it the glaring design flaws with this title? Is the story not moving enough? I don't know but FFXIII hasn't grasped me and made me want to play it all night long like FFX/FFVII/FFVIII.

And it's not like I have outgrown the genre or the games because I can still go back to any of those titles and pour in countless hours and still enjoy myself.

So I ask you forum. Was Square-Enix able to re-capture the magic of Final Fantasy for you?
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Superior Member
    yes. in some ways.

one of the things i like most about final fantasy is that it changes in each installment. that comes with some risk since you may not keep whats good from one and put it in the following. There are things I liked about FFX that I didnt like in FFXII or in FFXIII, but there were things about FFXII and FFXIII that I didnt like more than in others.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yes, definitely after the POS that was XII.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Apprentice
    The magic of playstation1 FFs and FFX? No, it had a little bit of that magic but not enough. Still like FFXIII for what it is and it looks amazing but after the long wait I was expecting something more after some of the disappointments I had with XII. If SE could go back to 2006 and re-do it all I imagine they'd change it around completely.
    So yea love it but it's not one of the bests imo

"Every gamer is a true gamer"
    "We all serve one master, one king and his name is GAMING! FOREVER MAY HE REIGN"

Dedicated Member
    One thing they could do to capture the magic again is to bring airships back.

Elite Member
    How was FFXII POS?...don't you have to have some sort of continuity between the entire series to call an entire game POS?...

Besides, FFXII was at LEAST a million times better than this crap that I'm forcing myself to beat once right now...and I've had it since launch lol...I've had plenty of free time, and I only even pick this game up once every two weeks...

Super Elite
    LMAO since when was ff13 a failure...... Yall cannot cope with adaptation well I see if something is not more or so the same yall freak out the game was great if not terrific. Take it for what it is worth and see what else they can do. Trust me they have not abandoned traditional rpg gaming yall going to get what yall are asking for its just not for the impatient.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by dondidit View Post
    LMAO since when was ff13 a failure...... Yall cannot cope with adaptation well I see if something is not more or so the same yall freak out the game was great if not terrific. Take it for what it is worth and see what else they can do. Trust me they have not abandoned traditional rpg gaming yall going to get what yall are asking for its just not for the impatient.
    It's simply not a good game IMO. FFXIII is all about the story and battles, OK, I can deal. But I think the story is pretty bad and the battle-system, while pretty decent, has some serious flaws.

So for me, this obviously didn't re-capture the magic. However, there were definitely some flashes of magic, such as Lake Bresha, Nautilus, and the Archlytte Steppe.

Ultimate Veteran
    I think the real tell-tale sign is that I am far more interested in playing FFIX again than I am thinking about the prospect of picking up FFXIII down the line..

Getting to Pulse was such a chore, and that is where the game had even a glimmer of being noted in the franchise as some kind of Final Fantasy game. I enjoyed playing it, but can't possibly imagine revisiting it again at the same time. The older games in the series just seem to have a lot more to offer to the gamer as far as playing it a different way or trying something new.

Yeah, I fell in and out of love with FFXIII more times than a soap opera teenager. In the end, though, it just doesn't seem like a long term relationship. For that, my answer to the OP is..

No.

But the score was great, at least.
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Apprentice

No, Chrono Trigger is still the greatest game Square's produced followed by FFVI... and this was over a decade ago!

And I agree with Suzano-O, FFXII>>>FFXIII

Superior Member
    What makes a game magical is the impact it has on you. One moment can change the entire game. I kept waiting on that one moment in 13, but it never came to pass. Cutscene after cutscene, I was reminded just how bad the story is, and how poorly written the characters are.

FF10 had an awesome beginning, but what really hooked me on the game was seeing Yuna dance on the water.

FF12 would've been an ok game if Vaan wasn't a complete loser.
    "You're so young and curious aren't you? You just want to know it all, and taste it all, explore it all, be it all, dance with it all, suck it all don't you?"

You know I don't consider girls below a c-cup women.

Apprentice
    I haven't picked this game up & was turned off of it before its release.
    The Fantasy of the series is now like a typical anime, there was no 'whoa!' Just like... recycled anime styles.

Now I was like 'whoa!' at the designs of FF games ever since IV, ( I hated the REAL FFIII... Onion Knights??)... Sadly iffy RPGs like NIER are enticing me more then any FF game since FFX.

BTW FFXII wasn't that bad but the story was so forgettable... and thats 80% of a FF game to me.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Nah down hill since FFX.

The reasons I didn't like FF12, magic/summons where pointless attack is all that was needed. The story wasn't engaging enough, it just seemed "go to this place for who knows what reason".
    Some characters I just didn't "feel" that what they told me was actually true

FF13, I liked the story, didn't mind the characters I just wished they had a better battle system. When they showed small bits on the trailers it looked exciting in new. But once you played the game for awhile I just got sick off the characters doing the same thing.
    Its like I don't really have to pick the enemies weakness its auto battle time! Even if I choose to input the spells/attack manually I still have to select the same move 5 times before I watch my character do it 5 times then repeat.

I still have good hopes for FFv13, sad news bout FF14 being online since I don't like monthly payments.

FF7:crisis core was awesome, I wouldn't mind seeing a FF7 remake on PSP or wait for PSP2
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Super Elite
    To me, this 'magic' was lost in games like FFIX and FFX as well as FFXII. Just the feeling that came so easily to FFVII and FFVIII, where I really grew attached to the characters and their plights.

So to that extent, yes FFXIII did recapture the magic of FFVII and FFVIII and, to me, was a better game then FFIX or FFX.

Thread Information